Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicky Goes To Hell: A Hell In The Cell Retrospect

Re: Nicky Goes To Hell: A Hell In The Cell Retrospect

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Floyd Mayweather didn't create boxing. Neo didn't create The Matrix. And Shroud didn't create PUBG.

What's yer point?
    My point is how exactly are people using star ratings in wrestling comparable to the Bucks/Bullet Club stealing every single thing that the nWo/DX ever created?

Everything uses star ratings. I can go on Amazon right now and leave a 5 star rating for toilet paper.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I can go on Amazon right now and leave a 5 star rating for toilet paper.
    Well if it's a good brand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Star Wars Characters~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My point is how exactly are people using star ratings in wrestling comparable to the Bucks/Bullet Club stealing every single thing that the nWo/DX ever created?
    It's comparable in that they are the gods of their realms, to which no one else compares. But it's been a very long day so excuse me if I am already lost in this conversation.

Also didn't nWo steal the "too sweet" gesture from some extremist group?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucha Bear
    Well...you can't have anything in life

I HAVE STARTED STREAMING MY GAME SESSIONS
    ...COME AND CHECK IT OUT IF YOU'RE BORED,OK?

Die By My Hand

Status
      Country                    United States

Nicky Goes To Hell: A Hell In The Cell Retrospect

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Also didn't nWo steal the "too sweet" gesture from some extremist group?
    I remember either reading or watching a Shawn Michaels interview where he said they got it from Bret Hart or I'm making shit up again.

Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

You're all on heavy psychedelics. Especially Jim and Natty.

With WWE putting out a HIAC collection Monday, this might be a bit easier if they include every one.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    I remember either reading or watching a Shawn Michaels interview where he said they got it from Bret Hart or I'm making shit up again.
    Bret Hart is Turkish Mafia confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Lucha Bear
    Well...you can't have anything in life

I HAVE STARTED STREAMING MY GAME SESSIONS
    ...COME AND CHECK IT OUT IF YOU'RE BORED,OK?

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Kane and Mankind vs. Undertaker and Steve Austin
    Raw - June 15th, 1998

The Backstory: We're on the road to King of the Ring 1998. Austin is set to defend the World Title against Kane and Undertaker is set to face Mankind in Hell In A Cell. A challenge was set by Bearer for this match, but it's really supposed to be a trap. However, who does this end up being a trap for?

The Match: Calling this a match is very generous. I actually wasn't going to review this, because it's really just one big segment. Or so I thought. We get a very dragged out segment to start with Bearer wanting Taker and Austin to find their way to the Cell. Austin wants to whip everyone's ass because he's Stone Cold Steve Austin, but you can tell Bearer's gunning for an ass whooping. So after a teased Taker entrance, Austin just lets Mankind and Kane comes to him so they can brawl. Meanwhile Bearer locks himself inside of the cell and admires the chaos on the outside. This turns out to be a bad idea, as Undertaker makes his way through the canvas and just proceeds to brutalize and murder Paul Bearer. I honestly can't recall such a worse beating for a manager in my life. He just slams Bearer's face into the Cell over and over and over again while Kane tries to burst through the ceiling and Mankind is getting his ass kicked by Austin. Raw ends with Taker continuing to destroy Bearer while Austin begins beating Kane's ass on the top of the cell. And then that's the end of Raw.

Or so I thought.

We get some Extra Attitude on the Network. Kane makes his escape down while Austin follows him. Taker meets Kane and begins fighting up the ramp with him while Austin and Mankind have a ten second in the ring interaction in the ring that includes a few finisher reversals, a stunner, and the pin. So wait, there was a match?

The Analysis: I honestly don't know how to rate this. It's very Attitude Era-y where not everything is very well defined and there's a lot involved in the segment that makes you scratch your head. It's also definitely feels more like a segment than a match and the pinfall feels super useless. As a segment though, it is quite fun and builds toward the two big matches for the Pay Per View quite well. It feels quite weird to watch these days, but Paul Bearer took bumps like a champ and deserves a lot of credit for the tail end of this segment working. It was quite I sight, and like I said, I cant recall a manager ever receiving such a beating and getting so much color in my life.

The Verdict: Like I said, I don't know how anyone ever rated this. As a match, it's not worth anything, because there was only ten seconds of in ring action. As a segment, it's certainly a fun Attitude Era style segment with commitment from all those involved, but it's not too memorable, even with color from Bearer. I give this One and Three Quarter Bloody Paul Bearers out of Five.

The Undertaker vs. Mankind
    King of the Ring 1998

The Backstory: Mick Foley has a death wish.

The Match: Mankind goes on top of the Cell before the match starts. Undertaker obliges and meets Mankind on top of the Cell. After some brawling and a near scary moment where both guys cave the roof, we get the legendary spot where Mankind is sent flying off the Cell, crashing into the Spanish Announce Table. After getting stretchered out being surrounded by officials and peers, the lunatic refuses treatment and hobbles back onto the top of the Cell, only to eat a chokeslam through the roof. The crazy thing looking back at this match is that Taker is ADORED for murdering a man. All of Pittsburgh is cheering for Taker every single time Foley is treated. Foley is able to get into the match, although it's clear it's not 100%. After trying to get things back and forth in a valiant effort and bringing thumb tacks into the match, Taker is able to put Mankind away with a chokeslam onto the tack and a Tombstone. Mrs. Foley's Baby Boy is finally put out of his misery.

The Analysis: Another match that I don't really know how to rate, because what actually constituted the match was pretty good at best. However, this is one of the most iconic bouts in the history of wrestling for a different reason. It's easily the most memorable Hell In A Cell match of all time. It's a star making performance for Mick Foley, who comes out looking better than anyone who's ever had the shit kicked out of them. The bump from the top of the Cell onto the table is the greatest bump of all time. Most if not all of these bumps don't come across as stupid and come across as legendary because there's actually very believable scariness and terrific build surrounding each one. You were very concerned about the safety of a human being yet you weren't really that taken out of the match because it was clear the guy was in pain when doing his offense. It's still quite the site to behold in 2017 and no wonder why Foley is one of the greatest. His idiocy usually feels grand.

The Verdict: Just because it's still such a spectacle to see such a star making performance of this magnitude, I want to praise the fuck out of it. However, I feel like that is really unfair since the match is just an okay match. Apparently Foley doesn't even think it's that great, which is kind of understandable. Just because it's still admirable, I feel like it's 3 Mankind Murders out of 5.

Kane vs. Mankind
    Raw - August 24th, 1998

The Backstory: It's the go home for Summerslam. Kane and Undertaker are finally in "cahoots" to get the title off of Austin. Mankind and Kane are Tag Team Champions, yet Mankind is turning face. Taker and Kane actually gives Mankind a beating after a really bad opening segment. After coming back from refusing hospital treatment and making a grand entrance back, Mankind wants Kane in the Cell, which is for some reason already above the ring. My head hurts.

The Match: This is the weirdest fucking match. Also one of the dumbest. Mankind finds his way to the announcers table after brief action with Kane. Taker throws Mankind off in a spot reminiscent to the Michaels spot at Badd Blood. After that we get a match full of breezed spots. Chair shots, thumb tacks, a Kane plancha straight into the Cell. It's all just a bunch of non-built spots. The opposite of the King of the Ring match. The finish happens when Austin comes from under the ring and begins to kick Kane's ass, so the match ends in a no contest. What in the actual fuck? Taker tries to find a way into the cell from the top (what is with this obsession of breaking through the roof to total failure) and in an extremely scary moment, Vince McMahon raises the Cell with Taker still on top with his foot stuck in the Cell while Austin stuns Kane and leaves. WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?

The Analysis: This is an example of a low point for the Attitude Era in terms of booking. It's such a poorly thought out clusterfuck. So Vince McMahon brings out the Cell for no reason and it's only because of Mankind that it's actually used? We're actually getting a Cell match in the first hour of Raw? WHY ARE WE GETTING A NON FINISH IN AN UNADVERTISED CELL MATCH? The match itself is not very good at all. The formula of this match tries to follow the exact same car crash formula of the first cell match and the Taker/Foley cell match, but it feels like a total mockery of everything good about those matches. Foley is guilty of a bad spot fest and doesn't provide anything worthwhile and doesn't deserve much praise for what made his performance at King of the Ring great. Does anyone remember any of these spots? Just not a good ten minutes.

The Verdict: No good. Kind of entertaining but completely overshadowed by horrible wacky Russo booking and pointless action. Three Quarter Surfing Mankind out of Five.

Also if you want a good laugh, watch this match on YouTube and read the comments. Attitude Era marks praising this as to why the Era is better than all over Eras.

Up Next: I defend what many people call the worst Hell In A Cell match ever.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Shuyaku

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah Taker vs Mankind Hell in the Cell from 1998 is the closet I've felt a Wrestler was going to die during a match. Foley's brains were scrambled after that dive off the Cell and how he continued is amazing to me. You had people telling Taker to stop it but he was on the hunt and you don't stop Undertaker when he's hunting. I still laugh even with all the violence in this match when Funk comes in and is pissed at Taker and he Chokeslams him. Look closer besides Funk shaking like a goof from it, he seemed like he had some dirty and bloody Socks on.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Scumbag Role Model

Status

The Undertaker vs. Big Boss Man
    Wrestlemania XV

The Backstory: After coming back from being buried alive, Undertaker has reunited with Paul Bearer and is more sinister than ever. Undertaker is looking to take over the WWF, threatening and stalking Vince McMahon and his family. Vince is trying to do all in his power to prevent Taker and "the higher power" that he answers to from taking over the company. It's the Ministry of Darkness vs. The Corporation. Yes, heel versus heel. Boss Man is here to be Vince's enforcer and take care of his dirty work.

The Match: "THIS ISN'T THE COP FROM THE VILLAGE PEOPLE, THIS IS THE BIG BOSS MAN"

Meanwhile I believe this is the debut of Taker's Ministry duds, unless I'm talking completely out of my ass. I possibly am. Paul Bearer is infuriated he can't be inside the Cell with Taker. What the hell was he expecting?

The match is pretty much a paced brawl from start to finish. They go back and forth for a bit, with Taker breezing through his sit-up spots and getting the upper hand before the fight goes to the outside and Boss Man is able to put two and two together. He handcuffs Taker to the Cell and gives him some nightstick shots (which only works for a second before the cuffs break). Some more brawling on the outside with the Cell being used before we go back into the ring. Taker's able to beat the shit out of Boss Man before Boss Man counters the Old School and we get some more back and forth brawling Taker's able to put the Boss Man a little bit anti-climatically with a Tombstone.

Then we get the iconic post match, which is more famous than the match itself. The Brood propel from the rafters and cut a hole into the top of the cell. Look, obviously this worked out for the Brood, but I can't help but get a tight butthole about seeing any sort of propelling from the rafters, especially given what happens a few months later. A noose is dropped through the hole and Undertaker begins to wrap the noose around the neck of the Big Boss Man. Paul Bearer lifts the Cell up and the Big Boss Man has been hung.

The Analysis: Okay, I can understand why a lot of people did not like this angle, let alone this match-up. It was hard to root for anyone in this feud, because The Undertaker was portrayed as a truly wicked individual, while Vince and the Corporation where just abusive dickheads while at the same time trying to get sympathy from all of the actions of the Ministry of Darkness. This match up suffers from the poor booking of the mighty Russo, among other things. It's heel versus heel and there's no reason to be behind either guy in the match, no matter how "cool" Taker looks. The crowd is very deafening quiet for what feels like 90% of this match and don't react to what feels like any of the big set ups (the Sit Up, Taker getting handcuffed, etc). I can completely get the silence too. It's also been an extremely exhausting Pay-Per-View and we're a match away from one of the biggest collisions in wrestling (Austin/Rock I). Plus, it's the Undertaker vs. THE BIG BOSS MAN. BIG BOSS MAN. On what's supposed to be the company's biggest show. No offense to the guy, but it kind of feels like if Bray Wyatt took on, I don't know, Curtis Axel in a Cell. The head of stable and a draw to the company is taking on a pawn in another. Doesn't seem too flattering and not much seemed to get accomplished in this chapter of the feud because it's not like Vince cared. Because he didn't. And yes, I know who the higher power is but at the time I would feel like Vince would be more concerned with his enforcer DYING rather than screwing Austin in the main event. So yes, I do see the arguments for this being the worst Hell In A Cell match of all time.

With all that being said, I do not think this is a completely bad match.

It's nothing special but it's talked about like it's all sorts of fucked up. The only thing that doesn't really go their way is the handcuff spot, in which the cuffs break immediately. That's not their fault. Honestly, nothing about this being bad is really the fault of the performers. These guys tried. They brawled, and while it wasn't completely exciting, it felt aggressive at the least, which is what these matches should feel like. There's better angles that got Cell matches later on in this series that ended up completely heatless. This felt like it kind of had some heat. This at least had both guys getting color and trying to make the most out of the structure as they could with the time they got. The announcers even tried to build up Boss Man as much as they could have. The finish felt like a TV match finish, but for the most part, it's kind of decent.

Even the post-match is a spectacle in 2017. It's very well done and even with seeming like in poor taste, it wouldn't even come on my list of some of the most tasteless things in pro wrestling history.

The Verdict: Awful, awful booking casting a big fart cloud over a decent at best match. Even with all of the flaws, it is not the worst Hell In A Cell match out there. I give this Two Hanging Boss Mans Out Of Five.

Up Next: One of my favorite feuds of all time AND THE GREATEST HELL IN A CELL MATCH OF ALL TIME
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

When the black man talkin

Status

I don't think that this match is any good at all. It's boring and heatless and just goes on and on.

It's probably not the worst cell match because Unforgiven 2006 exists. But it is really close.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I don't think that this match is any good at all. It's boring and heatless and just goes on and on.

It's probably not the worst cell match because Unforgiven 2006 exists. But it is really close.

Honestly doesn't really seem like it goes on and on to me. It's only less than ten minutes. Doesn't really feel like ten minutes. Feels shorter.

We're going to see plenty of other boring or heatless Cell matches that go twenty or twenty five minutes and feels like forever and feels a lot more offensive than this. And I don't want to give much away but one that is almost an hour and feels like I missed five years off my life.
    -------
    -------

I've long considered this to be the second most underrated match in Wrestlemania history. The actual action was okay. I liked that they actually stayed inside of the cell. It does resemble the feel of a HIAC from the HIAC PPV era, rather than the crazy as fuck HIAC matches that were being produced at this point. The booking is where the match suffers. It just makes zero sense that McMahon and the Corporation are babyfaces in this feud against Taker and the Ministry, while they're heels at the same time in feuds against Steve Austin and DX. Since he had already wrestled at the first two PPVs, it was a bit too early to do another McMahon match on PPV, but Taker needed someone far more significant from the Corporation to battle. Ideally, you'd pick the Corporations #1 star, The Rock, but he was obviously busy. Even Ken Shamrock would have been an improvement over The Boss Man. Taker and Shamrock even had a surprisingly decent match the next month at Backlash '99. Likewise, the match would have benefited from being moved to a B-PPV like Backlash as expectations wouldn't have been as high.

Despite the stupidity of Russo booking it the way he did, I've always enjoyed the match.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

So what's the verdict on me doing doing these in order? Do people want me to mix it up a bit? I'm going to do this one and the following one in order but if you want me to be completely random then just let me know.

Triple H (c) vs. Cactus Jack
    WWE Championship
    No Way Out 2000

The Backstory: The McMahon-Helmsley Era has begun. After winning the title at the tail end of 1999, Triple H would find Mick Foley as his biggest foe. After a brutal war at the Garden, a challenge would be laid out: Cactus Jack wants to put Triple H through Hell In A Cell. Triple H wants Jack out of the WWE entirely. Foley wants to headline Wrestlemania. The Hell In A Cell match is set. It's career versus title!

The Match: The first time the WWE Championship is on the line in a Cell match. Man, this is a big fight feel if there ever is one. I blame all the great promos leading up to this match.

I like the beginning of this match so much. Jack makes his entrance second, and once he's locked in, he wants to get out. And it's not because he's scared, it's because he wants to go all around the cell and make it his mission to put himself and Triple H through it. It's all he talked about in the promos leading up to it. And after having an all out war at Royal Rumble where they pulled out everything but the kitchen sink, you had to somehow find a way to turn it up to eleven. The story is now there for Jack to do it.

We get a brawl, mostly around the ring. Triple H can't get an advantage to save his life. Meanwhile every time Jack isn't scraping Triple H's face all over the Cell or beating the ever loving dog shit out of Triple H, he's trying to find ways out of the Cell so he can find new ways to torture Triple H even more. Once Triple H gets the advantage, we start to get our series of really great valiant Mick Foley spots. Stairs to the face, Foley finds a way up. Covering Foley under the stairs, Foley finds a way up. Chair shots galore, Foley baits him. It's just fucking crazy. Foley lays a beating in once again and Triple H is now in trouble. He gets color and Steph begins to worry (more about her later). Foley's now able to find a way out via throwing the stairs through the Cell since Triple H ducked and then just running through it like a madman. To this day, maybe the coolest way the Cell has ever been opened. Once the Cell is opened, Foley becomes even more reckless. The Barbwire 2x4 comes into play. More mindless offense. The table piledriver. He has an opportunity to fulfill his wish, so he'll go at any lengths to do it.

We get the typical off the Cell spot from Foley, but it was built quite well, and all it does is make the mother fucker even more insane. More brawling, including an unprecedented FLAMING BARBIE being used. In the WWE. It felt crazy then and it still feels crazy now because I don't think we'll ever see something like that ever again. It all feels so satisfying, but after teasing a piledriver onto the flaming barbed wire 2x4, Triple H backdrops Foley not only through the Cell roof, but through the ring. I think I change my mind. That might be the greatest spot of all time. But guess what? The mother fucker isn't dead! Much to the dismay of Triple H. A Pedigree later and the match is over, as is the career of Cactus Jack.

The Analysis: Holy fucking hell. This match is so fun to re-watch because I find something new to love about it each time. I don't know if I've ever talked about my favorite feuds in pro wrestling, but Triple H vs. Cactus Jack in 2000 in easily in my top three. It's such a simple blood feud. All the promos toward the Royal Rumble match and this Hell in a Cell match are superb, and it's probably Triple H's best promo work in his career. Keep in mind, no one gave a shit about Triple H's rise to the top in a pool filled with Rock, Taker, Austin (even after being out), and Foley. Foley at least at the time accomplished getting Triple H somewhat over in these series of matches. And for good reason. The matches in this feud are REALLY FUCKING GOOD. And as I alluded to earlier, this Cell match is amazing because it somehow found a higher gear after the bar was set at the Royal Rumble. These was no point in this match where I thought the heat was simmered. It was all intense and it was all captivating. I thought someone was going to die, even still in 2017. How nobody did is beyond me.

All three performers in this match are at their absolute best. Let's start with Foley. I rammed really hard on Foley for the match with Kane because it felt like he was doing spots just to do spots. Foley was doing almost the exact same spots he was doing in the Kane match, but the difference between this and the Kane match is that these spots mattered. It shows you that build has a strong importance of this spots being effective and memorable. And the psychology work from Foley is incredible in this. He's reckless and stupid but just solely on the fact of two things: he realizes what's at stake (the title and his career), and he made a promise no matter how dumb the promise is (put him and Triple H to their deaths). Foley knows the importance in these matches, not just focused on making these seem like a stunt show.

Next, Triple H. He looked really great as the heel here, doing truly dastardly things and doing whatever he could up his sleeve to put Foley away. His brawling with Foley is actually very good, and I find Triple H an underrated brawler. His facial expressions and reactions are truly spot on to everything being done. The highlight of this is at the very end, where after the backdrop to Foley, not even Triple H can believe what he did. He realizes that not only did he finally stop Foley, but he very may have killed him. But yet when Foley begins to move after Triple H checks to see if he's still alive, he fucking pissed It's so brilliant.

This brings me to Stephanie McMahon, who doesn't do much in this match but what she does is fantastic. While Triple H is worried he may have murdered someone, Stephanie is fucking pumped and has the most wicked facial expression on her face. That contrast of reactions and her excitement to the carnage adds so much more than you would think.

The Verdict: The greatest Hell In A Cell match of all time. Aggression, hatred, brilliant performances, amazing storytelling, spots centered around the cell that are built perfectly. What more can you ask for? This. Match. Fucking. Rules. Four And Three Quarter Foley Murders out of Five.

Up Next:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TX5ij8uQeo
    Last edited by Darling Nicky; 10-01-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    -------
    -------

Die By My Hand

Status

Nicky Goes To Hell: A Hell In The Cell Retrospect

Another one I haven't seen since it aired. 8 year old Deth loved it until the finish.

I'm fine with you confining to go in order but that shit'll get really taxing when you have to start reviewing the matches post Edge/Taker from SummerSlam.

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I have a feeling that match won't hold up well. I think Ill be watching that for the second time in my life. I was not huge on Edge at the time (or the years following).

A few of these matches I've seen several times but for the most part I'm watching these for the second or third time.
    -------
    -------

Status

Foley vs HHH is my favourite hiac ever. Incredible story and emotion to it.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

A match that feels like I've seen it already with all the highlight reels it's been in. Maybe I'll finally check it out now.

Yeah, just do 'em in order and I'll stop reading when they ban blood

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Foley vs HHH is my favourite hiac ever. Incredible story and emotion to it.

See, this is where I'm worried about continuing because I feel like I hit the peak of this gimmick

There's some good ones after but nothing is going to top the emotion of this one. There will be ones that try to replicate and fail, then you have ones like the next one that stand out because they're different and chaotic.
    -------
    -------

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    See, this is where I'm worried about continuing because I feel like I hit the peak of this gimmick

There's some good ones after but nothing is going to top the emotion of this one. There will be ones that try to replicate and fail, then you have ones like the next one that stand out because they're different and chaotic.
    Are you telling me that you didn't think CM Punk vs Undertaker doesn't match up to this match?

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Are you telling me that you didn't think CM Punk vs Undertaker doesn't match up to this match?

Haha, I actually don't really remember this match that much so I can't wait to watch it to see if you're joking or not.
    -------
    -------

Thread Information