Thread: Unforgiven 1999

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    United States

Unforgiven 1999

So I feel like this could be a relevant discussion, since this week's topic on Something to Wrestling with Bruce Prichard was this pay per-view. It's a very forgotten show, as I had completely forgotten about any of this happening, aside from the Kennel From Hell match.

The main event was the first Six Pack Challenge that I can remember ever happening. Big Show, British Bulldog(weird, right?), Mankind, Triple H, Kane, and The Rock faced off for the vacated WWF Title. Other classic matches such as Chris Jericho vs. X-Pac, Luna vs. Ivory, and Val Venis vs. Steve Blackman all took place.

This whole show just felt off to me as I watched it back today. Undertaker had just gotten injured and didn't appear on the show, even though this was at the height of his evilness. The Rock didn't even cut a promo, which feels most odd of all. But the lack of interest in almost every match by the crowd killed the show.

But, all that being said, it's a hell of a nostalgic show for what it is. Oh, how different September 1999 was from January 1999.

The Franchise.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: Unforgiven 1999

I always remember this show fondly for the Six Psck Challenge. I thought it was really stupid that HHH who was beat shortly before by vince for the title ended up winning the title again, and also went through a qualifying series to get in, making him some kind of underdog baby face. This was also around the time if I’m right that Russo left wwf so that could have played a part in this being a throwaway show.

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Unforgiven 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Franchiser View Post
    I always remember this show fondly for the Six Psck Challenge. I thought it was really stupid that HHH who was beat shortly before by vince for the title ended up winning the title again, and also went through a qualifying series to get in, making him some kind of underdog baby face. This was also around the time if I’m right that Russo left wwf so that could have played a part in this being a throwaway show.
    Russo ended up leaving at the very start of October, so at this point in time, everything was still firmly under the guidance of Russo's planning.

Thread Information