Thread: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career

On Vacation

Status

Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career

(CNN)Being falsely linked to the Columbine massacre has long rankled singer Marilyn Manson.

Now he is saying it was catastrophic to his career.
    In a new interview with The Guardian, the shock rocker talked about how having his name associated with the 1999 tragedy affected him.
    Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold gunned down 12 students and one teacher at their Colorado high school before taking their own lives.
    At the time, it was erroneously reported that the shooters were fans of Manson's music.
    The singer now says "If [the Columbine killers] had just bought my records, they would be better off. Certain people blame me for the shootings at schools."
    "That's going to be a great pull-quote for you," he told The Guardian. "But, honestly, the Columbine era destroyed my entire career at the time."
    Manson is currently promoting his new album titled "Heaven Upside Down."
    In 2012, he said the title for his "Born Villain" was influenced by having been been wrongfully vilified because of Columbine.
    "When it comes to things like Columbine, it would have been different if they [Harris and Klebold] had actually liked my music, but I think that I have had more blame accredited to me then any person in the history of music," Manson told NME. "There should be some sort of Grammy for that."
    "Heaven Upside Down" is set for release on October 6.
    Source: CNN

MR. MON$TER IN THE BANK~!

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Marilyn Manson: Columbine massacre 'destroyed' my career

It's unfair that the media had to blame Marilyn Manson of this incident. The goddamn media tried to turn Manson into an enemy because of his image and his music, big fucking deal. Manson's not responsible for the thirteen people that were murdered in 1999, it's the two low-life dumbasses, that are fucked up in the head, shooting and killing innocent people because their lives are shitty.

I do like some songs from Marilyn Manson, but I'm not gonna be a dumbass, committing heinous acts like Klebold and Harris, killing people to get their fifteen minutes of fame.

Oh by the way, I remembered my coach saying that if anyone were to wore a Marilyn Manson shirt, they would have to wear an Adolf Hitler shirt as punishment, because of Manson's supposed "negative" image. His music never made me commit heinous acts.

Again, the media likes to automatically put the blame on one guy, demonize him and ruin his life or career. That's how they operate. Manson should be blessed that he still has a music career and still has his fans behind him. Fuck what the media says!

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    FANTASY BASEBALL: 2014 | FANTASY BASKETBALL: 2017-18 | FANTASY FOOTBALL: 2016

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Marilyn Manson was no more to blame for Columbine than the Confederate flag was to blame for Dylan Roof killing people at the Church in SC.

Crazy people are just crazy. Don't blame other shit for it.

Hurrah for the flag of the free!
    May it wave as our standard forever,
    The gem of the land and the sea,
    The banner of the right.
    Let tyrants remember the day
    When our fathers with mighty endeavor
    Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
    That by their might and by their right
    It waves forever.

American Ninja

Status

Interesting that this comes up as Manson's performance on the 1997 MTV Music Video Awards just celebrated it's 20 year anniversary. I always thought Manson was cool because of the t-shirts everybody would wear and I liked Sweet Dreams. I liked Metallica but for the most part I never really got into heavy music until that performance at the MTV awards, it was like a life changing event for me. At the time there was so much bullshit in music, Spice Girls, Savage Garden, Puff Daddy, Missy Elliot, Hanson, and boy bands like Backstreet Boys was all you would hear on the radio or see on MTV, just nothing but gay garbage. That whole awards show was like a big celebration for it all and then at the end of the show Manson took the stage with his ass cheeks hanging out and it just blew me away how raunchy and extreme they sounded, that was what really got me into heavy music, as I got older I just got deeper and deeper into the genre and ended up singing in a few metal bands and having some great moments on stage myself. I can trace it all back to that performance on MTV, it was just such a shock to the system for what was going on in music at that time. I remember seeing a video somewhere of all the reactions of the celebrities in the crowd that night, Missy Elliot and Puff Daddy's jaws were on the ground they were so offended and shocked by what they were seeing, hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihAxtvCTBqY

Columbine effected me pretty hard because right when that happened my family packed up and moved to a podunk little cow town in northeast Texas, the first day I wore blue jeans with a Marilyn Manson patch on the leg and the teachers treated me like public enemy #1 the whole time I went to that school, it was absolutely miserable time, they literally thought I was going to bring guns to the school and kill people because of that patch, they were always fucking with me for no reason and even put me in ISS(in school suspension, sitting in a broom closet basically) for no reason other than they were scared. Looking back on it all now it's really amazing to me how much fear they had for Marilyn Manson back in the day, people really thought he was the real devil in the flesh. Very interesting to look back on with adult eyes now. Fear is a hell of a thing. It's amazing that a heavy metal singer was able to generate so much of it in the hearts of small town christian america.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 09-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Aaron Kendrick

Status

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. But on the other hand, everything is an influence.

I've always looked as music as if it were a movie. In a movie, you see a made up story. In music, you hear made up stories. The only difference between music and movies is that you can hear one and see the other. Movie stars don't get blamed for their performances when someone dresses like them and kills people, and neither should musicians. My example of this would be the loon who dressed like Heath Ledger's Joker in Colorado and shot up that movie theater. That didn't ruin Heath Ledger's legacy, it didn't ruin Christopher Nolan's career, it didn't ruin Christian Bale's career, or anyone else's for that matter, and it was a straight up copy of a character from that film.

So why do musicians such as Marilyn Manson and Ozzy Osbourne get specifically blamed and vilified when people "listen" to their music and also coincidentally kill people?

Thread Information