Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fright Fest 9: Never to be Certified Fresh

Status

Re: Fright Fest 9: Never to be Certified Fresh

I'd argue that Cult of Chucky was the best one since Child's Play 3. My only gripes with the film:

Spoiler:

The ending wasn't very satisfying and rather than provide closure to the narrative,
    It exists only to set up a sequel, which I hate. If this was an on-going series like Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter, then yeah cool. But for a slasher film like this, the open ended sequel window was disappointing.

I also thought Jennifer Tilly's role was forced into the story and completely uneccesary.

I'd completely disagree with that. I've always ranked Bride of Chucky as the second best film in the series behind only Child's Play 2. Much like Curse, Cult is another cheaply made Chucky film with poor CGI that lacks the original fun of a Chucky film - Chucky vs a child.

Shuyaku

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'd completely disagree with that. I've always ranked Bride of Chucky as the second best film in the series behind only Child's Play 2. Much like Curse, Cult is another cheaply made Chucky film with poor CGI that lacks the original fun of a Chucky film - Chucky vs a child.
    I don't know the original Chucky films were Horror/Slasher/Thriller film well at least the first two, and by Bride it went outta it's way to be too comical and not be what it used to be. I think Cult is a good blend of both and their are plenty fun scenes and quotes from Chucky throughout that I liked.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I don't know the original Chucky films were Horror/Slasher/Thriller film well at least the first two, and by Bride it went outta it's way to be too comical and not be what it used to me. I think Cult is a good blend of both and their are plenty fun scenes and quotes from Chucky throughout that I liked.
    Bride of Chucky is a product of its time. Most horror films of the late 90s were injecting as much comedy into their films as possible. It's all about being self referential and being able to poke fun at not only yourself, but also the cliches of the genre. It doesn't mean it's any less of a horror movie than the Child's Play portion of the series.

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

The first couple of minutes were cool but I thought the new Chucky was really bad overall, worse than the other recent one they put out back in 2013 or whenever that was. As for the cancellation of the Friday movie Jim mentioned I think it was better off that way based on what I read about the script, I can't remember exactly what the story was going to be about but I remember reading something about the script that made me make this face:

If I remember correctly at one time they were even planning on it being a found footage style movie. Eek.

I'm still waiting on a Friday movie that's set in the winter.

Status

I mean, Bride Of Chucky was the first to stray from the Chucky vs Child trope so if that's one of your major quality metrics I don't see how you'd rank it above Child's Play 1 or 3. BOC was fun but mostly forgettable other than being a gateway to Seed Of Chucky and giving us Hot Topic Chucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    I mean, Bride Of Chucky was the first to stray from the Chucky vs Child trope so if that's one of your major quality metrics I don't see how you'd rank it above Child's Play 1 or 3. BOC was fun but mostly forgettable other than being a gateway to Seed Of Chucky and giving us Hot Topic Chucky.
    I don't see how it's forgettable at all. The creation of the stitched together Chucky is what most people think of now when Chucky is brought up. The introduction of Tiffany unknowingly created one of the biggest and most memorable characters in the entire series. The comedic antics such as Chucky trying to excuse the need of using a condom since he's made of rubber remains a highlight of the series. Likewise, Tiffany helping Chucky learn about some of the new techniques to kill also helped advanced the violence of the series. We're going on twenty years now since Bride came out, so some of its mainstream attention is naturally gone, but at the time, it really helped push Chucky back into the limelight after disappearing due to a disappointing Child's Play 3, that seemed to prematurely put Chucky into the grave, and this attention has yet to be replicated with any of the subsequent Chucky films. Besides the initial introduction of Chucky, I wouldn't say he was ever bigger than he was in the immediate aftermath of Bride.

All of this is just making me want to cover Bride of Chucky at some point this month.

American Ninja

Status

I'm still waiting on a Friday movie that's set in the winter.
    I want a "Jason goes to the Hood" theme, I watched House Party recently and thought to myself, damn this would make a great Friday setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGyRLQ2wNQ
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 10-11-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    I want a "Jason goes to the Hood" theme, I watched House Party recently and thought to myself, damn this would make a great Friday setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGyRLQ2wNQ
    Sounds absolutely awful. With that being said, had Freddy vs Jason been delayed any further than it had already, I could see Jason being thrown in the hood for a film made just for the sake of retaining the rights, similarly to Jason going into space.

Status

Freddy vs Jason had so much potential. I absolutely loathe the fact that they turned Jason into Frankenstein's monster and that they didn't cast Kane Hodder as Jason. The Freddy-centric stuff was great and felt like elements pulled from a Nightmare on Elm Street movie, which is to be excpected with New Line behind it. The Jason stuff was just bad.

Regarding Leatherface, I have yet to see it but was meaning to. After this review I may just refrain altogether. I had low expectations to begin with after yet another reboot but I didn't imagine it would be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Freddy vs Jason had so much potential. I absolutely loathe the fact that they turned Jason into Frankenstein's monster and that they didn't cast Kane Hodder as Jason. The Freddy-centric stuff was great and felt like elements pulled from a Nightmare on Elm Street movie, which is to be excpected with New Line behind it. The Jason stuff was just bad.
    I was frustrated by how minimal all of the Nightmare based elements were. The lack of character trait based deaths meant you could have given the characters any of the deaths that the other characters had and it would have made sense.

American Ninja

Status

Sounds absolutely awful. With that being said, had Freddy vs Jason been delayed any further than it had already, I could see Jason being thrown in the hood for a film made just for the sake of retaining the rights, similarly to Jason going into space.
    Friday the 13th part XI: Black Lives Matter

Seriously though if they are going to make another Friday they should just pick it up right after part 7 and act like part 8 through to the 2009 film never happened. Just show the end of part 7 where the girl's dad drags Jason back down into Crystal Lake and then have him escape the lake and start a new story, I actually wouldn't mind them following up with that same girl with the Carrie powers like a direct sequel to part 7, which somehow leads Jason into the hood for the next movie.

Freddy vs Jason was a good time in theaters when it first came out, the theater I seen it in was jam packed sold out and red hot for the whole movie popping for shit like it was a wrestling match, it was a lot of fun. What made it more fun and memorable was my girl at the time was a huge Freddy fan and Jason has always been my favorite. Easily one of my favorite movie theater experiences right up there with watching the first 2 Star Wars movies when they were reduxed in 1997 and going to see Out For Justice with my dad, uncles and little brother back when I was 7. Then I watched the movie on DVD a few years later and seen how total garbage it was. Just did not translate to the small screen I guess.

The 2009 movie I'm on the fence with it, the first time I watched it I thought it was cool but I like it less and less with every time I rewatch it.

To me the biggest missed opportunity was Jason Takes Manhattan. What a steaming pile of shit that one was, easily the worst, I'd even put it beneath Freddy vs Jason, the 2009 movie, and Jason X. It almost feels like a made for TV movie, like something USA Network or TNT would make back in the day for cable. It has some moments, the scene where he kills the boxer was great, but overall this is my least favorite in the series. Jason going into New York City should have been fucking huge and epic.

As there's already a bit of Friday the 13th talk in here and since this Friday will be the first ever Friday the 13th in Fright Fest history (Thanks a lot leap year 2012), here's a repost of a post I made back in May, where I gave my thoughts on re-watching the Friday the 13th series. I suppose it's not techically an entry in Fright Fest, but this is the only way Friday the 13th can be a part of Fright Fest.
    ----

Back in 2009, in celebration of the DVD release of the Friday the 13th remake, I set out to re-watch and review the entire Friday the 13th series to finally be able to rank them in order. This was then followed up on my incredibly unsuccessful Halloween review thread that died because Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 temporarily ripped my heart out of my body. But this post isn't about Halloween. For no reason other than I wanted to, but we'll pretend that it's in celebration of the Friday the 13th video game that just released today, I went back and re-watched the entire Friday series again, recently completing that re-watch project. The big difference between 2009 and 2017 is that unlike in 2009, I watched the Friday films in any random order this year. To bring this thread back from the dead (It is a thread for Jason Voorhees after all), I thought I'd say my 2017 rankings and a few brief thoughts on each movies.

First, a reminder of my rankings from 2009:

1. F13th Part VI - Jason Lives
    2. F13th Part IV - The Final Chapter
    3. F13th Part II
    4. F13th (1980)
    5. F13th (2009)
    6. Jason X
    7. F13th Part VII - The New Blood
    8. Freddy vs Jason
    9. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
    10. F13th Part 3D
    11. F13th Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan
    12. F13th Part V - A New Beginning (Suck it, Fuji)

As for my 2017 standings, some movies stayed the same, but there were a few big changes.

2017 Rankings

Spoiler:

1. F13th Part VI - Jason Lives
    2. F13th Part II
    3. F13th Part IV - The Final Chapter
    4. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
    5. F13th Part VII - The New Blood
    6. F13th (1980)
    7. F13th Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan
    8. F13th (2009)
    9. F13th Part 3D
    10. Freddy vs Jason
    11. F13th Part V - A New Beginning (Still suck it anyways, Fuji)
    12. Jason X

My 2017 thoughts on each film:

- Friday the 13th (1980) - Prior to 2017, I had last watched this in 2016 and my thoughts are identical. The reveal of Mrs. Voorhees as the killer is great. It comes as a total surprise that a woman is the killer and it's both sad and freaky to see troubled mother react in such a strong way to the long ago death of her child. Tom Savini's makeup work is still great to this day. The Kevin Bacon arrow through the neck remains one of the more memorable fx kills in horror history. The problem is I don't believe this movie is very strong. I don't feel any strong connection to any of the characters, although unlike in some of the movies, I don't actively dislike any of them either. The pacing is pretty horrid. Between the monopoly game that doesn't go anywhere and thirty minutes devoted to Alice being alone when that sequence of a slasher is typically allotted the final 10-15 minutes feels like it goes on forever. It has an importance and legacy due to spawning such an important horror series, but this first film is just an average film that on its own, is nowhere near as good as some other summer camp movies like The Burning. 6/10

- Friday the 13th Part II - One year later and the Friday series creates a nearly perfect slasher. This new group of horny counselors are more likable and fun than the last group. Ginny has some qualities that Alice had, such as not needing a man to protect her, but Ginny showed even more smarts and had the personality to outclass Alice. Without a doubt, Ginny is my favorite final girl of the Friday series. The death of the wheelchair bound Mark is possibly my second favorite kill in the entire series. Jason may not have his trademark look here, and not just the hockey mask, but also wearing the overalls, but I find the pillow case mask is a severely underrated look for the killer. With the slasher genre being extremely predictable, this film threw the audience a curve ball by sending half of the counselors away from the lake, allowing them to live. Who would have ever predicted that Ted would end up surviving because of this? He was so clearly an obvious victim, yet the film threw the twist and I love it for it. The only real drawback I can think of for this film is that if you're watching a Jason film, you want to see the hockey mask. You don't get it here, but everything else is great. 8/10

- Friday the 13th Part 3D - I'll be honest, I've never understood the appeal of this film. I often hear it listed as being someone's favorite Friday the 13th and I just don't get it. For me, it especially suffers when you watch the films out of order and it becomes even more glaringly obvious that this movie didn't serve much of a purpose being sandwiched between two great Fridays. Out of all of the characters, the only one I somewhat liked was Shelly, but even then, he's constantly annoying everyone. Unlike with the original Friday, where I didn't have a problem with any of the characters even if I wasn't drawn to them, I had a real problem here with how random the groupings were in here. A seemingly normal group of young friends are hanging around with a couple that looks far older and are mostly just a bad knock off of Cheech and Chong? There's a trio of random bikers? The film being featured in 3D didn't help matters either. I hated all of the cheap moments when something was supposed to jump out of the screen. By the end of the film, it feels as if we're watching the same story in three straight movies and how the series needed something little bit different to happen. I will give the film credit for giving Jason his trademark hockey mask. I think it's an awful movie, but you sorta have to watch it if you wish to see this major moment in the life of Jason Voorhees. 3/10

- Friday the 13th Part IV - The Final Friday - For years, it was a back and forth battle between naming this or Jason Lives as being my favorite Friday. Although I ended up picking Jason Lives due to the fun value, this movie always had everything you would want in a Jason film. There's likable characters, tons of nudity, a bunch of deaths, minor characters standing out, and for just the second time in the Friday series, a character not named Voorhees leaves a huge impression on the series. Where the film suffered, and I use that term very loosely, is that it feels as if it's two movies combined into one. You have the classic Friday the 13th story of a group of teens/early 20's having sex and being butchered, but you also have this other story of the Jarvis family and their interaction with a brother looking for the truth about what happened to his sister (Previous victim in F13th Part 2). The end result was a little disjointed with the film spending a lot of time on one story, to the point where you're forgetting what's happening in the second story. I still love this film, but it causes it to be bumped down the ladder by one spot. Tommy Jarvis is an awesome character and is exactly what this series needed to freshen things up. Much like Ginny, he's got the smarts to out think Jason, but he's even more identifiable due to his love of horror and scary masks. Jarvis could very well be my favorite child in a horror movie. If this film does have one thing going for it over Part 2, it's that it does have Jason sporting the mask. If there was a checklist of what you'd want a Friday film to have, this one would have everything. 7.5/10

- Friday the 13th Part V - A New Beginning - I've never liked this film and I suspect I never will. It has so much going against it. While I understand how Tommy becoming a silent and mentally disturbed person would make sense, he's lost that fun factor that he had in The Final Chapter and would regain in Jason Lives. Considering how much I love those other two Tommys, I can't help but hate this Tommy. The other characters are not only unlikable, but they're so over the top. How am I supposed to care about anyone when the majority of the characters are caricatures? This was also around the time when the MPAA began going hard against slashers, forcing this film to drastically cut back on the gore used in their deaths. The result was typically you'd see "Jason" holding a weapon, cut to a closeup of the victim's face while being stabbed, and then a quick cut to show where they were stabbed. It's awful. The most fun scene for me was Violet's wacky dance to the song Pseudo Echo's "His Eyes". In theory, I don't have a problem with the killer not being Jason, but when the film already has so much going against it, the last thing I want is the reveal that it's not Jason, meaning it wasn't even a Friday that you needed to watch. Considering Tommy's personality change in Jason Lives, I would recommend just completely skipping over this film if you're having a marathon through the series. 2.5/10

- Friday the 13th Part VI - Jason Lives - I loved this movie when I first saw it, I continued to love it when I previously reviewed it in 2009, and it remains my favorite in 2017. It stars Thom Mathews as the new Tommy Jarvis and it's perfect as a result. I wished Mathews had done more in horror because between this and Return of the Living Dead, his characters are always the ones that leave an impression on me. With the MPAA cracking down on slashers, this film seemed to actively decide to make the kills memorable without hoping to get in gory shots. The answer? Fun! You get to see a face shoved into a RV wall, a guy bent in half, a woman had her head twisted around, blood thrown against a window, and in possibly my third favorite kill of the series, a guy has his arm ripped off and sent face first into a tree leaving a smilie face on the free and Jason hanging on to his arm. Thanks to Alice Cooper, the music had a few notable songs that I love to listen to. In something that is so rare that it's only truly happened in this film, there's actually campers at this summer camp! It's a miracle! I have no shame in admitting that this is in my top ten for all time horror favorites. 8.5/10

- Friday the 13th Part VII - The New Blood - I've had mixed feelings on this film since seemingly day one. The frustrating thing is that they do do somethings extremely well. After all, this film features my favorite kill in the entire series when one poor girl is slammed into a tree while in a sleeping bag. They even did a better job at combining two stories into one than The Final Chapter did. Some of the minor characters nearly are as much fun as The Final Chapter gang. At the same time, I'm not crazy about the lead having Carrie-like powers. This is the movie that started the trend in the series where each Friday felt a little less like a Friday each time around. Like in Jason Lives, they did their best to make the kills work despite the MPAA limitations. Jason's wide variety of weapons was a fun touch. The best way to sum up the movie is that it comes close, but it's not quite in the league of the best Fridays. It's the sort of Friday you watch after already seeing Jason Lives and The Final Chapter, when you want more of the same before having to delve into the shit that sees Jason at his worst. 6/10

- Friday the 13th Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan - Much to my surprise, I no longer hated this movie with this most recent watch. It's not a good movie at all, but there is a fun factor. The title is incredibly misleading as it takes Jason an hour before reaching NYC, but once he reaches Manhattan it's one fun event after another until the terrible ending of Jason being transformed into child Jason again. It's a rare happening, but this was a Friday where the minor characters are so much more memorable than the leads. I cared for more about Julius than I did Rennie or her boyfriend. All of the flashbacks with Rennie interacting with child Jason wasn't good and it felt pretty unnecessary. This series loves trying to connect new characters to Jason and it never works out well. As long as you're not expecting anything other than a senseless Jason film, this is fine. 5/10

- Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday - It has taken me awhile, but I've learned to love this movie. It's all about accepting that this is the Halloween 3 of the Friday the 13th series. Sure, unlike Halloween 3, this does have the famed killer in it, but the writers completely retconned the shit out of the character and series until it's unrecognizable. Just like Halloween 3, as long as you look at it as its own film, I think it's great. The thing I appreciate most is that gore has returned to the Friday series and it has returned in a beautiful way. With KNB Effects, you're getting to see some really sick looking visuals of bodies just oozing. The story may be a little wacky, but has this cult classic type of feel to it. Even though I love it as this sort of parasite movie like Slither, I can understand why others hate it. What's worse than having a Jason imposter in A New Beginning? Having a Friday the 13th film where others become Jason without even looking like Jason. I legitimate wonder if New Line simply took a script that had been collecting dust, edited it to have the killer be Jason, and this was the end result. Still, if you've seen the film and you're not a fan, try giving it one more chance while actively trying to pretend that it's not a Friday film. 7.5/10

- Jason X - Ugh. Much like Halloween Resurrection, this was the first of a popular series that came out after I got really into horror. The result was that I was pumped for the movie and after initially watching it, I loved it. In each subsequent re-watch, I've liked it less and less. This latest watch was the absolute worst. Even the sequels that I'm not a fan of like A New Beginning, it at least feels like a Friday film. With this being set in the future and in space, it doesn't resemble a Friday film. The CGI with 2017 eyes looks atrocious. The dialogue could not feel any more forced. "This sucks on SO many levels" has to be one of the lines I cringe at the most for horror movies. They tried for some comedy and it didn't work. The frustrating thing for me is that while we've yet to receive a winter based Friday the 13th, we get Jason in space?! The fact that this didn't kill the series frankly surprises me. I'll accept that New Line filmed this movie simply to retain the rights to the Friday series, but if that's all this was, why not just pump out a traditional Friday film? 2/10

- Freddy vs Jason - My feelings on this film has never changed. It's a film that has disappointed me ever since I saw the DVD. The biggest frustration is that this was a film that was basically in pre-production for over a decade, yet when it was finally released, this was the result. It was too one sided with Jason getting in nearly all of the kills despite Freddy having the more creative kills. The acting for the lead actress was wooden, making her unlikable except for when she's showing off her massive cleavage. Most of the other characters aren't too likable themselves. The two actors in the film that I did like were Katharine Isabelle (Gibb is great, but she's only in the first half of the film) and Brendan Fletcher (Mark is in even less of the film). The fighting scenes between Freddy and Jason was cartoonish and didn't do anything for me. Much like Part 3D, some people praise this film a lot and I've always been left baffled. It's an awful movie that should have been rewarding for any Friday or Nightmare fan. 3/10

- Friday the 13th (2009) - I keep going back and forth on my opinion of this film with each way. When I first saw it in 2009, I mostly really enjoyed it. When I watched it in 2015, I was greatly disappointed and felt it was just another terrible film in the Friday series. With this latest watch, it's somewhere in between. Jason hardly acts like himself with the tunnel system, kidnapping, and setting human traps, but is that a bad thing? I'm not sure. It's a remake. It's not supposed to be the same exact Jason. Yet, I hated what Rob Zombie did to Dr. Loomis. I think the film legitimately tried to have a fun factor. They succeeded to some extent. With each watch, I find the two main leads of Clay and Jenna to be less likable while even finding the supposed dick of the movie, Trent, to be somewhat justified in some of his actions. I do still love the nods to Friday 2-4, where other than the opening credits, this film is mostly a remake of various parts of those 3 movies and not Friday 1980. I can't say I'm a fan of the insanely long pre-title screen scene that lasted the first 23 minutes of the film. They could have condensed that scene down to five minutes max and it would have been just as effective and likely helped with the pacing of the film. With this film never receiving a sequel, it's sole purpose is reminding the viewers of moments from the previous films and that's it. 5/10
    ----

(If nothing else, it makes finding my reviews for the films a lot easier)

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I'm not even sure Friday the 13th Part VIII is as bad as Part 3 but I'll have to decide when I re-watch them all in about a week. I know one thing, Jason X is the dirt worst in the entire series and I'd watch Jason Takes Manhattan 100 times for every 1 time I force myself to sit through it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi
    I actually wouldn't mind them following up with that same girl with the Carrie powers like a direct sequel to part 7
    My issue with this is that I felt Part VII was a self-contained story that ended with Tina making peace with the ghost of her father. To bring her back, while cool, would kind of kill that nicely wrapped package. If you're going to do a direct sequel, you may as well scrap Part VII as well and just pick up with Tommy having to go after Jason again after the events that ended Jason Lives.

EDIT: Oh and yes Jim, that sequel can take place during the winter.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 10-11-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Star Wars Characters~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

I'm gonna blame the movies

Status

I'm with Fuji on the love for Part V. I don't know what it is I just love it. Jim I don't know if you've seen this fan-made trailer but it's fucking brilliant. Jiggy you'll enjoy it too.

[07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

I'll be fine Daddy.
    BS Mafia 4 Lyfe: Dakstang Dook Duke HoHo Punk Wolf CocksDynamite Creeping Death Swamps

American Ninja

Status

Oh we're getting into the good shit now. Great post Jim. Friday the 13th is and has always been my favorite horror movie series. I'm getting ready to start watching through the series for the first time since probably 2012, I've been debating whether or not to start tonight, tomorrow night, or just kick it off Friday and watch the first 3 back-to-back-to-back on my new 4K curve and soundbar that I picked up last year. I've got all the movies lined up real pretty and they are looking mighty tasty right about now.

I really liked the first movie a lot. Something about the opening with the way all the characters talk to each other and the vibe that the movie has up to the throat slashing. And for my money that throat slashing is the best kill in the series, absolutely fucking gruesome effect that I don't know how they made it look so fucking real, and the girl was so nice and sweet only adds to the effect of it all. Maybe one of the most underrated kills in all of the series or horror movies in general really. I also just really really like the story, the way poor Mrs. Voorhees was driven over the edge by the death of her son, and the performance by the actress was really great for the character. To me the first movie is one of the all around highest quality films in the entire series, the ending jump scare with Jason making his debut was also iconic scene for horror films.

Part 2 to me was my least favorite of the first 5 or 6 movies but I still really like it a lot, that says a lot about how much I love this series when I'd take my 6th favorite movie in it over just about any other horror movie from any other series. I love pillow case Jason. I read your The Town That Dreaded Sundown review the other day Jim and it was interesting that you mentioned that movie inspired Jason's look in part 2. I actually lived in Texarkana Arkansas back in 97-98, the house we lived in was directly across the street from the high school in that movie, we lived so close to that building they would have probably had to have set a camera up in our back yard to get the shot of that school in that movie. And the crazy part was that we were living in that house when I first found out about that movie(when it was mentioned in Scream) and watched it for the first time. I always thought that was very cool that we lived right there were so many of the locales from that movie were filmed, and then it tickled me pink that there was even a possibility that movie could have inspired Friday in any way.

Interesting to see part 3 getting shit on in this thread, I've always regarded it as one of the best in the series. This was prime Jason Voorhees and it's got a level of campiness and cheese to it that always gave it a charm to me. I even enjoy the 3D gimmick. This and part 4 to me are the prime of the series.

Part 4 is easily one of the best if not THE best.

Part 5 was one of the ones I grew up watching and as a kid I always thought it sucked. This grew on me over the years and has become one of my favorites in the series. Probably the most raunchiest and most extreme and most 80's movie in the series, a lot of funny moments and goofy characters that I really like. Also the story to me was actually pretty good looking back at it, it's kind of a twist on the original story from the first movie with the parent driven over the edge because their mentally handicapped son was killed. And I actually found the idea of going with Tommy as the new Jason was pretty interesting and had a lot of potential(I've come up with a few crazy fan fiction ideas for this myself, one story I'm actually strongly considering changing a few things around and adapting into an original trilogy of books).

Part 6 was my favorite when I was a kid but it has become one of my least favorites of the first 6 movies over time. It's definitely the tamest and most PG in the series, no titties and not much gore compared to the rest of the movies that came before it. While parts 3 and 5 had some great unintentional comedy I didn't like the way part 6 tried to be so cute. But it's still really good and there's a ton of nostalgia for me with this movie because we used to watch the fuck out of it.

Part 7 has always been one of my favorites. Everything just works for me, I love the Carrie girl, I LOVE Dr. Krews from Weekend at Bernies and I really love the way Jason looks and acts in this movie, he's so fucking strong and hulking and brutal, zombie Jason at his best. I like the final showdown between Jason and the girl at the end, I like the story with her father and everything. This was a good time to me.

Part 8 is my absolute least favorite in the series.

I love that Jim has come around to Jason Goes To Hell. I've always really loved that one too.

Jason X was retarded, I watched it once back when it first came out on VHS and I really haven't seen it since. I remember when it first came out I wanted to go see it in theaters so bad but didn't have any money to go.

Freddy vs Jason I already spoke about it but it was a good time in theaters. I really honestly can't remember much about it, another one of those that I haven't sat down to watch probably since it came out on home video.

2009 movie the first 30 minutes or so of it were fucking excellent but the rest of the movie was not good at all.

This is how I'd rank them, I haven't seen the first 8 since like 2012 and haven't seen the newer ones since they first came out on home video:

1. Friday The 13th part IV: The Final Chapter
    2. Friday The 13th part V: A New Beginning
    3. Friday The 13th 3D
    4. Friday The 13th part VII: A New Blood
    5. Jason Goes To Hell
    6. Friday The 13th(1980)
    7. Friday The 13th part VI: Jason Lives
    8. Friday The 13th part II
    9. Friday The 13th 2009
    10. Freddy vs Jason
    11. Jason X
    12. Friday The 13th part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

American Ninja

Status

Just typing that post out and thinking about how this Friday is the 13th in October, yeah, I think they really did fuck around and miss out on an ass load of money this year by scrapping a new Friday, this would have been about as perfect of a time you will ever get to release a new one. I'm pretty stoked about watching through the series again and if there was a new one hitting theaters this Friday night I'd probably go see it even knowing that it was going to suck. Probably going to be a while before there is another 13th of October landing on a Friday!?

I'm gonna blame the movies

Status

2. Friday The 13th part V: A New Beginning
    My man
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

I'll be fine Daddy.
    BS Mafia 4 Lyfe: Dakstang Dook Duke HoHo Punk Wolf CocksDynamite Creeping Death Swamps

Just typing that post out and thinking about how this Friday is the 13th in October, yeah, I think they really did fuck around and miss out on an ass load of money this year by scrapping a new Friday, this would have been about as perfect of a time you will ever get to release a new one. I'm pretty stoked about watching through the series again and if there was a new one hitting theaters this Friday night I'd probably go see it even knowing that it was going to suck. Probably going to be a while before there is another 13th of October landing on a Friday!?
    While some of the previous Friday the 13ths were released on Friday the 13th, there has never been a Friday film actually released on Friday the 13th in October. Ever.

The next Friday the 13th in October won't be until 2023, but what are the chances that 2023 will also be a year where several horror movies were monster hits earlier in 2023 and there was a wildly popular Friday the 13th game earlier in the year as well?

2017 was the perfect time to bring back Friday the 13th and they dropped the ball.

Thread Information