Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Fright Fest 9: Never to be Certified Fresh

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Fright Fest 9: Never to be Certified Fresh

I haven't seen the movie in a couple of years but I think the wooden parts of Grimaldi's performance were a stylistic choice on his part as they make him seem a little more detached from reality. This certainly comes across well in the scene where he's attempting to buy clothes to go to the disco, which also leads into what I'd consider one of the most memorable scenes in the film. The juxtaposition of the shots of the burning hands/wrists while L'Ectrique's "Struck By Boogie Lightning" plays in the background creates an extremely uncomfortable mood. I think it's actually the most horrific scene in the whole movie, which is saying a lot considering it's about a madman who sets women on fire with a flamethrower.

One thing about this movie that always fascinated me prior to seeing it is that it was one of the famous Video Nasties. The first time I saw it I was expecting it to be a lot more gruesome so I was surprised that a lot of the violence seemed quite subdued. I've noticed a trend through watching these Video Nasties that most of them really aren't that nasty at all, particularly when compared to some other films that never made the list.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Best Actor Performances~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

Day #31b
    Title: Ghostwatch
    Year: 1992
    Director: Lesley Manning

It's Halloween night 1992 and the BBC is coming together for a special newscast covering the most haunted house in all of the United Kingdom.

Ever since I first heard about the BBC original movie, Ghosthouse, a year or two ago, it’s been something that has interested me. I’m far too young to have been around to experiencing the whole War of the Worlds radio broadcast craze. The idea of a fictional tale alarming listeners so much that they thought it was real is equally fascinating and unbelievable. Sure, it may have fooled listeners back in 1938, but that was forever ago! And yet, the newscast spoof of Ghosthouse aired on television on this very day twenty-five years ago. Being an American and still young back in 1992, I was obviously unaware of the TV movie, but this was still in my lifetime. The idea that the BBC were able to fool so many of their viewers into calling into the channel is incredibly impressive.

Without a doubt, Ghosthouse could not work these days. In the twenty-five years since Ghosthouse was made, a lot has happened. The Blair Witch Project had similar success, thus giving modern audiences the experience of a realistic-like movie being revealed to be purely fictional. The rise of the internet and sites like Youtube has also allowed any normal person to upload their own supernatural fraud video to the internet. As I was watching Ghost, I couldn’t stop appreciating how much it reminded me of Paranormal Activity. Take away the whole newscast aspect of Ghostwatch and this movie plays out very similarly to our modern found footage supernatural films. It’s all about showing little glimpses of something possibly happening and slowly building up the tension until bigger things can occur. Some critics of either film may even claim that nothing actually happens, but that’s part of the charm of the films to me. Instead of being over the top and crazy, it’s more realistic.

The actual family involved comes across as fairly likable. I was getting The Conjuring 2 vibes from it, due to it being a single British mother with two daughters being the main focus. There’s even a moment in Ghostwatch where it’s revealed that the older daughter was faking some of the ghostly moments. I liked that whole dynamic of not forcing the film to only give evidence that what’s going on is legitimate. Throughout the newscast, skeptics are interviewed, the hosts even laugh off obvious fake callers, and the aforementioned scene where the daughter is caught faking some sounds. This allows for the realism to stay strong as it’s easier to believe in a story when it feels as if they’re simply documenting what’s happening and trying to reveal what’s happening, whether it fits in with the supernatural explanation or not. In fact, there were even times where the ghost hunting team on Ghostwatch wouldn’t reference or spot some of the creepy moments. One such moment saw the ghost being revealed in the reflection of the sliding glass door in the kitchen. The viewers could see it, but no one actually involved in the newscast mentioned it. It was as if the viewers were able to spot things to help be a part of the ghosthunting.

Overall, Ghostwatch is a blast to watch. Although it may not feel very creative with 2017 eyes, it’s pretty revolutionary when you consider the fact that it came out in 1992. It essentially sets up the entire blueprints plans for every found footage supernatural films that would come in the 2000s. While it is lost on me being an American, the fact that this was presented as a newscast with actual BBC broadcasts made this even more amazing of a made for TV film. Perspective first time viewers should keep in mind that this is supposed to come across as a realistic newscast, so don't expect anything too crazy, including the ending.

Grade: B

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming up next, the nightmare isn't over as Fright Fest has one last review planned for tonight.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    England

The reason you see similarities between Ghostwatch and Conjuring 2 is because it's the same haunting. Ghostwatch is completely based off of the Enfield Haunting which is what Conjuring is based on as well.

Always had a soft spot to Ghostwatch because of the hidden things in the footage that when released, people couldn't rewind back like we can now. For its time, it was such an intelligent horror film

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Day #31c
    Title: Halloween II
    Year: 1981
    Director: Rick Rosenthal

Picking up right where Halloween ended, Laurie Strode is rushed to the hospital with Michael Myers close behind while Dr. Loomis learns more about his killer patient.

I’ve spoken about this before, but 1978’s Halloween and the Halloween series has played a huge role in my movie fandom. It was catching Halloween on the USA Network one late October night that made me truly fall in love with horror movies as the closet scene scared me enough to turn the channel, but I was so interested that I had to switch back. After getting into horror, I began recording every horror movie I could get access to on television with Halloween 2 being one of the very first. To this day, I still claim Halloween 4 as my favorite movie of all time. It was the old official Halloween movies message board that was my very first exposure to interacting with others online, something that undoubtedly plays a part in my participation of this very website today. I own far more Halloween merchandise than any other movie series. One thing has remained true since this fandom began nearly twenty years ago - I don’t quite understand the praise 1981’s Halloween 2 receives.

It’s not to say I’ve ever hated Halloween 2, but I’ve never understood why it’s ranked as highly as it is. Perhaps my natural biasness towards Halloween 4 plays a part in this fact as Halloween 2 is possibly the toughest competition Halloween 4 has its title as the best Halloween sequel. Halloween 2 often gets praised as being a direct continuation from Halloween. In fact, Halloween 2 kicks off with the ending to the original Halloween and carries on from there where I assume the majority of the film takes place technically on November 1st. Yet despite this continuation, it doesn’t feel like it’s the same movie. This is where a lot of my criticisms of the film comes from.

To start with, Dick Warlock taking over the role of Michael Myers from Nick Castle (And about 500 other people who briefly played Myers in 78’s Halloween), is something I somewhat hate. Warlock changes Myers up, opting to behave more like a robot than an actual man. While you can certainly say that Myers was very methodical in the first film, he still walked like a normal human. There’s a moment late in the film where Myers decides to just walk through a glass door rather than just break the glass and walk in like what a normal person would do. Although the mask is the same one that Castle wore three years prior, it looks drastically different due to the neglect that it had been treated to in the time since it was first re-shaped from a William Shatner mask. While I realize that Halloween 2 was not some big budget film, the budget was drastically increased to a decent 2.5 million, making me wonder why the creators didn’t just simply create a new mask to resemble the original one, rather than try (And fail) to fix up the original damaged one.

Laurie Strode in general frustrates me in this film. I’ll give Halloween 2 a pass on Strode’s awful wig since there’s not much that they could have done to improve on that. Strode in this film didn’t behave as she did in the original. She’s very docile and is in constant need of being saved like some damsel in distress. While Laurie in the original wasn’t the ultimate horror heroine, she didn’t simply cry out and run away. She knew when to fight, find random objects, and to give Myers a challenge if he wishes to kill her. Sure, she was foolish by always dropping weapons and she did ultimately need Dr. Loomis to survive the film, but she was not helpless. In Halloween 2, Dr. Loomis has to practically force her to take a gun at the end, rather than Laurie stepping up herself. Laurie’s story in this film in general isn’t all that interesting either. Strode spent the vast majority of the film just hanging out, typically asleep. It plays a role in the film feeling as if it’s nothing more than pure filler until Laurie and Michael can meet up again. Even then, since Dr. Loomis has to be there to save Laurie, it comes across as a rehash of the original Halloween rather than telling us a different overall story.

The story we get instead, the one I’ve always felt like filler filled with fodder for Michael to kill, feels as if it’s closer to a Friday the 13th sequel rather than Halloween. We meet this hospital staff and it’s just a bunch of random characters. The only one that truly stands out to me is EMT, Bud, but that’s mostly because he has some great lines. Instead of focusing on one new character and allowing them to become the primary heroine of the film, we instead see a series of scenes featuring everyone. All of these new characters are given roughly the same amount of time where we get a decent understanding of what they’re doing on Halloween night at work before they’re killed off. Do I care about these characters? Not really. I don’t know anything noteworthy about them. In the original Halloween, the three main victims (Annie, Lynda, and Bob) are each given enough time to form some sort of opinion. We get to spend a lot of time with them and they each make an impression. I can easily remember their names, their general attitudes, and what they did on Halloween. The characters in Halloween 2? It’s far more generic with that one nurse who was dating Bud, that one nurse who struggled with the radio, the one nurse who was a bit bitchy, and that one nurse who wore loose shoes. Halloween 2 fell into the typical slasher series trap of increasing the body count rather than just focusing on the story.

Thanks to the increase body count, we do get to see plenty of creative deaths. Rather than just using his knife, Michael uses needles, boiling hot water, a standard claw hammer, a cord, draining the blood out of a person’s body, ect. You may not care about the characters, but their deaths will interest you. The ones that really stand out for me were any of the eye based ones, including Michael using a needle to the temple of nurse Janet and the classic death of nurse Jill where Michael lifts her up with a scalpel in the back and her shoes fall off, creating a nice thud as they hit the floor. While we don’t actually get to see Michael attacking her, the aftermath of nurse Alves’ red blood in a giant puddle on the floor is a pretty great visual. While it’s not tied directly into any of the kills, the scenes where you can spot Michael roaming the halls on the surveillance videos are fantastic. It’s a pretty scary concept knowing that Michael is around, sometimes near another unsuspecting character, without the confrontation happening just yet.

Naturally, one can not talk about Halloween 2 without bringing up the biggest legacy of the film - the revelation that Michael and Laurie are siblings. Even when watching the original Halloween, it’s difficult to imagine the pair not being siblings since it’s all I’ve ever known. Despite playing a crucial part to the overall story of the Halloween franchise, it initially comes off as a silly idea. If Michael and Laurie are siblings, look at what happened in the original Halloween. Michael killed Judith when Laurie was a baby. Flash forward to fifteen years and Laurie is now living with the Strodes, who just happen to be the realtor for the empty Myers house. Michael escapes and travels back to Haddonfield where he’s back in the Myers house for perhaps a mere couple of hours before Laurie showed up outside of the house to drop off the key for her father to later show the house off to a potential buyer. Michael, sees Laurie and decides to stalk her, despite not seeing Laurie since she was a baby. How similar can Laurie really look compared to Michael’s last time seeing her? On the anniversary of Michael killing Laurie’s older sister, he kills all of Laurie’s friends and comes close to killing Laurie herself. Forget about coincidences, this was some seriously bad luck for Laurie. The odds of all of this falling in place so perfectly is astronomical. Had Michael been smart, he would have found a bit of time to buy himself a lottery ticket because on October 31, 1978, he was the luckiest man on the planet. Despite this plot twist not making the most sense, it is still so crucial to the series that it’s best to just ignore it and move on. It’s retconning, but it’s the sort of retconning that at least incredibly important.

Just because I can, I’m going to dive into a bit of a rant. Despite recording Halloween 2 off of the Sci-Fi channel way back in the day, I did quickly get the official VHS tape for Christmas one year. Chances are, it was potentially the final VHS tape I received as a gift as I switched over to DVD not long after that. Once I got my first DVD player, I bought Halloween 2 again, this time in order to watch it in that sweet, sweet digital quality. Some time passed and I eventually realized that I had never gotten around to buying Halloween 3 on DVD. Since the solo disc had become difficult to find, I instead opted to just buy the double feature of Halloween 2 and 3 on DVD. I believe I either gave my original copy of Halloween 2 DVD away to a friend or sold it in a garage sale. Finally, in 2011, it’s revealed that Halloween 2 will be coming on Blu-Ray AND it’s finally going to include the alternate ending and deleted scenes. Even though I wasn’t a big fan of the movie, I had to pre-order the Blu-Ray. Luckily, since I have the earliest copy of the Blu-Ray, it had that lovely edit of randomly and heartless removing Moustapha Akkad’s name from the opening titles. Although Universal were quick to print off a new series of discs with Akkad’s name back in the credits, I was stuck with the original version. Then, nearly one year exactly to the release of the Universal Halloween 2 Blu-Ray, Shout Factory released a beautiful Blu-Ray release loaded with extras AND being able to watch the full TV cut of the film, instead of merely watching the deleted scenes on its own. Had I known the film would have been released by Shout Factory, I certainly wouldn’t have bothered spending my money on the Universal disc. So not only do I own the lesser of the two Blu-Ray copies, but I own the lesser of the Universal copies! It’s pretty frustrating buying the same movie multiple times without gaining much due to Universal’s lack of interest in their two Halloween films. Bless those wonderful souls over at Shout Factory for actually caring about their movie releases.

Overall, I won’t try claiming that Halloween 2 is a poor movie. It is highly important in terms of adding the sibling connection between Michael and Laurie. There’s some great suspenseful moments with some creative kills as well. Ultimately though, Halloween 2 feels as if not enough attention was devoted to it, instead just opting to just bring Michael Myers back to cash-in on the sudden popularity of the slasher sub-genre that Halloween helped create. Considering 1981 had some truly great horror movies (An American Werewolf in London, The Burning, Friday the 13th Part 2, ect), I can’t say Halloween 2 is a stand-out in terms of quality. Personally, I say if you’re interested in watching a great slasher sequel set in a hospital, check out the Norwegian film, Cold Prey 2 instead. Still, there’s enough positive moments in Halloween 2 to make it well worth the watch, even if I’m not as high on it as others.

Grade: C

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

And with that, Fright Fest has wrapped up another year, this one being its most successful ever in terms of number of replies.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

First of all Jim another great Fright Fest here's too many more in the future. Now when it comes to Halloween 2 it could be my favorite with Halloween 4 being it's equal for me. I think the reason why I love it is the setting of everything. I mean Laurie is in a Hospital and we go to the Hospital for an injury, a check up or the birth of a child, but it's suppose to feel like a safe place to go. You see that no matter Laurie hides if Michael is able to walk, he's not going to stop to find her Laurie and kill her. I must admit yeah the characters at the Hospital are lackluster, but their deaths like you said are like a Apple Pie just outta the Oven tasty is the word.

Laurie is different vs Laurie in the first Halloween it's all due to what she went through in the hours before. I mean if their was a killer after me, my mental state wouldn't be at the greatest level at this point which to me it makes sense to see her so broken. It doesn't help they gave her all these drugs while arriving so she doesn't know whether or not what she's seeing is real at times. I still love how the Movie ends though and forgive me Ben Tramer's death scene scary as hell, but funny as hell. Loomis and the Cop trying to get that guy's attention and he turns around like a Mummy and that fear of the Cop and Loomis gets the guy killed poor kid.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

[Your Name.]

Status
      Country                    UK

I may not have commented Jim, but I've enjoyed reading greatly, nice job!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

Damn good stuff this year Jim Bob, I enjoyed it again.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Going back to Curse of Chucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    This lack of realism carries over to the characters. Since the film is set in a mental asylum, many of the characters are over the top crazy characters. One patient thinks she died years ago and is roaming the halls of the asylum as a ghost that no one can see. Another patient finds the Chucky doll and begins to treat the doll as if it was her own baby. A male patient has multiple personalities, resulting in him switching up internal profiles various times in the film, thus negating his original “Normal” introduction. Even the main doctor at the asylum, Dr. Foley, holds his own dark secret that destroys his own initially perceived normality. It becomes quite frustrating as the viewer is left without anyone to be able to relate with.
    I actually didn't have a problem with this at all because I was really just waiting to see Chucky's reactions to these characters and how he dealt with them. In this regard, I wasn't disappointed, particularly in his conversation with the ghost lady and his great line about not knowing whether to kill the doctor or take notes.

Overall I don't know if I'd call the movie disappointing like you did. It's clear the budgets just aren't there anymore and so you kind of have to take what you can get where Chucky's concerned. I enjoyed Andy's return to a larger role, Douriff was superb as usual and the stinger at the end of the credits ruled. I'm not upset that I bought the Blu Ray even knowing the movie wasn't as good as some of its predecessors. If we don't keep paying for these they'll stop making them and I don't want to see a good guy kept down.

On the subject of Halloween II, I have to kind of side with HoHo in terms of Laurie's character being different. I thought it was well established that she was suffering from severe shock at the beginning. If you couple that with the drug cocktail that she got at the hospital I'm not surprised she was pretty lethargic for the rest of the movie. Hell, at one point she's basically in a coma with her eyes open so I think she can be excused for not being quite as adept at dealing with Myers as she was in the first one.

That being said, the more times I re-watch Halloween II the less I enjoy it. My standard rating of 7/10 doesn't change because it IS important to the series and, as you say, some of the kills are great but it just doesn't have that awesome quality to it that it did the first time I watched it. One thing's for sure, it's definitely not as good as Halloween 4 and I don't enjoy it nearly as much as Halloween III. Still way better than either of those Rob Zombie crapfests and Rosenthal's other Halloween film though.

Oh and one other thing, I think you should consider ditching the old Universal Blu Ray and moving up to the Shout Factory one. The transfer is better and the bonus features are great. Hell, it's worth it just for the two commentary tracks but having the full TV version (albeit only in Standard def) and the making of documentary make it a no-brainer for Halloween fans.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 11-01-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Catching up on some replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Scooby Doo >>>>>> Maximum Overdrive
    I certainly had more fun watching Scooby-Doo than Maximum Overdrive. Obviously Maximum Overdrive had the superior soundtrack, but otherwise Scooby-Doo was a blast. It's even made me curious to see the sequel that was released a year or two later with the same cast.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Also they should make a Maximum Overdrive video game, that would be cool too.
    It seems like it would have made for a perfect NES game since especially in that era, there were so many random baddies that you had to beat. Throwing in electric knifes, trucks, and idk...bouncing video game machines, would have actually made sense in this game. Naturally, they'd have to add bats since every game had killer bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I haven't seen the movie in a couple of years but I think the wooden parts of Grimaldi's performance were a stylistic choice on his part as they make him seem a little more detached from reality. This certainly comes across well in the scene where he's attempting to buy clothes to go to the disco, which also leads into what I'd consider one of the most memorable scenes in the film. The juxtaposition of the shots of the burning hands/wrists while L'Ectrique's "Struck By Boogie Lightning" plays in the background creates an extremely uncomfortable mood. I think it's actually the most horrific scene in the whole movie, which is saying a lot considering it's about a madman who sets women on fire with a flamethrower.
    I'm willing to go along with the idea that Grimaldi's performance was by choice, but it doesn't change the fact that the poor acting was on display from the full cast, not just Grimaldi.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestEarth View Post
    The reason you see similarities between Ghostwatch and Conjuring 2 is because it's the same haunting. Ghostwatch is completely based off of the Enfield Haunting which is what Conjuring is based on as well.
    Oh, was Ghostwatch inspired by the Enfield haunting? That certainly explains the similarities. You even had the whole plot of a married couple adding more tension to the film as the husband of Sarah is forced to watch what happened from the BBC studios, not unlike the heavy influence of the Warrens love.

Always had a soft spot to Ghostwatch because of the hidden things in the footage that when released, people couldn't rewind back like we can now. For its time, it was such an intelligent horror film
    It's very intelligent based on the time period in which it came out. It doesn't receive nearly enough attention as deserves in terms of being one of the earliest found footage films. Movies like Cannibal Holocaust or The Last Broadcast sometimes gets remembered for being pre-Blair Witch Project, but Ghostwatch should be included as well, particularly when it comes to found footage supernatural films.

Have you seen the documentary, Ghostwatch: Behind the Curtains? I'm wondering if it's worth the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Laurie is different vs Laurie in the first Halloween it's all due to what she went through in the hours before. I mean if their was a killer after me, my mental state wouldn't be at the greatest level at this point which to me it makes sense to see her so broken. It doesn't help they gave her all these drugs while arriving so she doesn't know whether or not what she's seeing is real at times.
    While they did explain why Laurie regressed, at the same time, it's a sequel. Who wants to see regression? Part of the fun of Halloween is that it's a minor example of a female character standing up for herself and being a bit of a bad ass. Mind you, it's nothing compared to what would be coming soon afterward with Ginny (Friday the 13th Part 2) or Nancy (A Nightmare on Elm Street), and that's nothing compared to women truly stepping up in the 90s, but it's still something better than how other horror movies at the time were treating female characters. Laurie didn't have to go as far as she did in H20, but it does the character a disservice to turn her into a full-on damsel in distress. Let her be more of a bad ass that merely needs help because she's at a weaken state.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    I may not have commented Jim, but I've enjoyed reading greatly, nice job!
    I'm glad you enjoyed reading the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Damn good stuff this year Jim Bob, I enjoyed it again.
    Thanks for your own contributions to this thread. Along with Fuji Vice, you played the biggest role in allowing Fright Fest 9 to be the most successful Fright Fest.

I actually didn't have a problem with this at all because I was really just waiting to see Chucky's reactions to these characters and how he dealt with them. In this regard, I wasn't disappointed, particularly in his conversation with the ghost lady and his great line about not knowing whether to kill the doctor or take notes.
    Chucky is great. He's exactly like Robert Englund where even if the movie sucks, you know you can depend on Chucky/Freddy to provide some laughs.

I'm not upset that I bought the Blu Ray even knowing the movie wasn't as good as some of its predecessors. If we don't keep paying for these they'll stop making them and I don't want to see a good guy kept down.
    If nothing else, buying the Blu-Ray ensured you got to see the stinger since it's not on the Netflix copy.

Still way better than either of those Rob Zombie crapfests and Rosenthal's other Halloween film though.
    Man, what a tough accomplishment that is.

Oh and one other thing, I think you should consider ditching the old Universal Blu Ray and moving up to the Shout Factory one. The transfer is better and the bonus features are great. Hell, it's worth it just for the two commentary tracks but having the full TV version (albeit only in Standard def) and the making of documentary make it a no-brainer for Halloween fans.
    If I bought Blu-Rays at the same pace as I did DVDs at the peak, I'm sure I would own it by now. I buy Blu-Rays so sparingly that I hate just buying the same movies over and over on every new format. Just looking at my Blu-Ray collection, the movies that I've doubled dipped on (Or in Halloween II's case, like...5 times over?), I've tried only buying ones that are a clear improvement over what I had before. For Halloween II, it was finally getting the deleted scenes and alternative ending, not to mention the fun bonus of Terror in the Aisles doc. My DVD copy of Psycho and The Shining sucked with the aspect ratio, so that was another no-brainer. I keep getting closer and closer to just giving in and buying the Halloween 10 disc Blu-Ray set (And then just buy the Producer's Cut on Blu-Ray for a few more bucks) to once again re-buy the full series (Except for RZ's H2. I still refuse to own that shit).

As of right now, there's just so many more logical choices if I were to re-buy the same movies on Blu-Ray rather than just once again buy Halloween II for better extras. Like Black Christmas, I still own my original 25th Anniversary DVD of the film with the shitty spine that has the title the wrong way. Considering the fact that that DVD came out in 2001 and I've watched it so many times (Including for Fright Fest 1 in 2008), I think I'm justified in getting my money's worth and can splurge on an upgrade.

If I ever won the lottery, I can see myself being an utter moron and blowing all of the winnings on just upgrading my DVD collection to Blu-Ray.

Tag Team Specialist

Status

Loved this as always, and like always I got to add a few new movies to my watchlist. Looking forward to watching Better Watch Out, and I already watched Hush which was pretty good. Mike Flanagan is quickly becoming one of my favorite writer/directors.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Catching up on some replies.

I certainly had more fun watching Scooby-Doo than Maximum Overdrive. Obviously Maximum Overdrive had the superior soundtrack, but otherwise Scooby-Doo was a blast. It's even made me curious to see the sequel that was released a year or two later with the same cast.

It seems like it would have made for a perfect NES game since especially in that era, there were so many random baddies that you had to beat. Throwing in electric knifes, trucks, and idk...bouncing video game machines, would have actually made sense in this game. Naturally, they'd have to add bats since every game had killer bats.

I'm willing to go along with the idea that Grimaldi's performance was by choice, but it doesn't change the fact that the poor acting was on display from the full cast, not just Grimaldi.

Oh, was Ghostwatch inspired by the Enfield haunting? That certainly explains the similarities. You even had the whole plot of a married couple adding more tension to the film as the husband of Sarah is forced to watch what happened from the BBC studios, not unlike the heavy influence of the Warrens love.

It's very intelligent based on the time period in which it came out. It doesn't receive nearly enough attention as deserves in terms of being one of the earliest found footage films. Movies like Cannibal Holocaust or The Last Broadcast sometimes gets remembered for being pre-Blair Witch Project, but Ghostwatch should be included as well, particularly when it comes to found footage supernatural films.

Have you seen the documentary, Ghostwatch: Behind the Curtains? I'm wondering if it's worth the watch.

While they did explain why Laurie regressed, at the same time, it's a sequel. Who wants to see regression? Part of the fun of Halloween is that it's a minor example of a female character standing up for herself and being a bit of a bad ass. Mind you, it's nothing compared to what would be coming soon afterward with Ginny (Friday the 13th Part 2) or Nancy (A Nightmare on Elm Street), and that's nothing compared to women truly stepping up in the 90s, but it's still something better than how other horror movies at the time were treating female characters. Laurie didn't have to go as far as she did in H20, but it does the character a disservice to turn her into a full-on damsel in distress. Let her be more of a bad ass that merely needs help because she's at a weaken state.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the reviews.

Thanks for your own contributions to this thread. Along with Fuji Vice, you played the biggest role in allowing Fright Fest 9 to be the most successful Fright Fest.

Chucky is great. He's exactly like Robert Englund where even if the movie sucks, you know you can depend on Chucky/Freddy to provide some laughs.

If nothing else, buying the Blu-Ray ensured you got to see the stinger since it's not on the Netflix copy.

Man, what a tough accomplishment that is.

If I bought Blu-Rays at the same pace as I did DVDs at the peak, I'm sure I would own it by now. I buy Blu-Rays so sparingly that I hate just buying the same movies over and over on every new format. Just looking at my Blu-Ray collection, the movies that I've doubled dipped on (Or in Halloween II's case, like...5 times over?), I've tried only buying ones that are a clear improvement over what I had before. For Halloween II, it was finally getting the deleted scenes and alternative ending, not to mention the fun bonus of Terror in the Aisles doc. My DVD copy of Psycho and The Shining sucked with the aspect ratio, so that was another no-brainer. I keep getting closer and closer to just giving in and buying the Halloween 10 disc Blu-Ray set (And then just buy the Producer's Cut on Blu-Ray for a few more bucks) to once again re-buy the full series (Except for RZ's H2. I still refuse to own that shit).

As of right now, there's just so many more logical choices if I were to re-buy the same movies on Blu-Ray rather than just once again buy Halloween II for better extras. Like Black Christmas, I still own my original 25th Anniversary DVD of the film with the shitty spine that has the title the wrong way. Considering the fact that that DVD came out in 2001 and I've watched it so many times (Including for Fright Fest 1 in 2008), I think I'm justified in getting my money's worth and can splurge on an upgrade.

If I ever won the lottery, I can see myself being an utter moron and blowing all of the winnings on just upgrading my DVD collection to Blu-Ray.
    I think you're no selling a little bit I believe her Ankle problem and even a dose of the smallest amounts of pain Medicine can make someone seriously drowsy if they are not used to taking Medicine like I am. I mean she's not a complete damsel in distress she felt he was coming and she hid in a room and tried to get away from him the best way she could. I didn't want Laurie to be hide and go seek to try to beat Michael hours after going through what she went through on Halloween. She had no chance to beat him or stop him, and I kinda wanted to see her broken down like she is in the film and needing help. Seeing her act like that and then H20 when she was like fuck this and hides and knocks Michael off landing on that Table, she had go through all that pain and stress to strengthen her confidence.

Real Women of Genius

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

The Maverick

Status

Another fantastic job Jim!
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

I'll be fine Daddy.
    BS Mafia 4 Lyfe: Dakstang Dook Duke HoHo Punk Wolf CocksDynamite Creeping Death Swamps

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Jim You did an amazing job as always. Keep it up man.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

I think you're no selling a little bit I believe her Ankle problem and even a dose of the smallest amounts of pain Medicine can make someone seriously drowsy if they are not used to taking Medicine like I am. I mean she's not a complete damsel in distress she felt he was coming and she hid in a room and tried to get away from him the best way she could. I didn't want Laurie to be hide and go seek to try to beat Michael hours after going through what she went through on Halloween. She had no chance to beat him or stop him, and I kinda wanted to see her broken down like she is in the film and needing help. Seeing her act like that and then H20 when she was like fuck this and hides and knocks Michael off landing on that Table, she had go through all that pain and stress to strengthen her confidence.
    I think you're missing the point a bit. I understand why Laurie couldn't do a lot in Halloween II. My stance is that it sucks that she was written in such a way when she was treated fairly well in the first movie. At this point, I'm really hoping that others in this thread has heeded my advice and watched Fritt vilt 2 (Aka Cold Prey 2) to see how a slasher picking up immediately after the original ended and taking place in a hospital can still maintain the idea that women do not need to be damsels in distress. Where Fritt vilt 2 got it right is where they had the heroine of the original movie, Jannicke, remain a bad ass and was essential to the survival of a child trapped in the hospital (The child in harm's way is another thing where Halloween II falls short as their child patient is pointless as they're introduced and then later are shown leaving). Furthermore, Fritt vilt 2 also introduced a secondary protagonist with one of the doctors, Camilla, stepping up as a heroine in a way that none of the nurses that did in Halloween II.

The handling of Laurie Strode in Halloween II was extremely dull. She didn't have to be as big of a bad ass as she was in H20, but she also didn't have to be as fucking useless as Night of the Living Dead's Barbra.

Quote Originally Posted by CocksyMitch View Post
    Another fantastic job Jim!
    Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your recommendations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung View Post
    Jim You did an amazing job as always. Keep it up man.
    I imagine Fright Fest will be back next year for Fright Fest 10: A Decade of Deleterious.*

*Shitty working title is shitty

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Things I haven’t watched that I will watch based on a gif: Two Tales From The Crypt Episodes

Dumbest looking movies based off one gif: Better Watch Out or Wishmaster 2
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

The handling of Laurie Strode in Halloween II was extremely dull. She didn't have to be as big of a bad ass as she was in H20, but she also didn't have to be as fucking useless as Night of the Living Dead's Barbra.
    Hey now, she wasn't quite as useless as Barbara. At the very least she shot her brother right in the eyes instead of standing there like an idiot and letting him kill her. On the subject of Barbara, the greatest thing that Romero did in the NOTLD remake was to make the character into more of a badass. I can't stress enough how much better she is as a kick ass and take names character and I really feel like Romero always regretted not making her that way in the original.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Hey now, she wasn't quite as useless as Barbara. At the very least she shot her brother right in the eyes instead of standing there like an idiot and letting him kill her. On the subject of Barbara, the greatest thing that Romero did in the NOTLD remake was to make the character into more of a badass. I can't stress enough how much better she is as a kick ass and take names character and I really feel like Romero always regretted not making her that way in the original.
    The differences between the two Barbaras is drastic and nicely sums up the change of women in horror going from being utterly useless in the original to being the biggest bad ass in the remake. Same thing can apply to the original dead trilogy with women becoming more capable as the films went along. I can't recall for sure, but I may have watched the remake before seeing the original. All I can remember for sure is an early watch of the original and being confused as to why she was so catatonic throughout the film.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Wait they did a remake of the 1968 original? That's news me a few months ago I watched the original and I loved it, but yeah Barbara is such a pain my ass and I was damn just kill her off already and I got my wish. Talk about being killed off, off screen ha.

He's coming for you Barbara...

I'm coming for you Barbara need to see that remake like now.

Real Women of Genius

Wait they did a remake of the 1968 original? That's news me a few months ago I watched the original and I loved it, but yeah Barbara is such a pain my ass and I was damn just kill her off already and I got my wish. Talk about being killed off, off screen ha.

He's coming for you Barbara...

I'm coming for you Barbara need to see that remake like now.
    I suppose it's been remade a few times, but the main remake came in 1990 with Tom Savini as the director. Plenty of notable horror stars including Tony Todd (Candyman), Bill Mosley (The Devil's Rejects), Tom Towles (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer), and Patricia Tallman (The memorable witch from Army of Darkness).

It's been years since I've seen it, so I don't feel confident giving it any sort of thumbs up or down. As Fuji and I were saying though, there's a gigantic difference in terms of how Barbara acts, so it certainly feels fresh.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

It's been years since I've seen it, so I don't feel confident giving it any sort of thumbs up or down. As Fuji and I were saying though, there's a gigantic difference in terms of how Barbara acts, so it certainly feels fresh.
    I watched it at some point last year and thought it was pretty good although I think I'd call it more of a reboot than a remake. It kicked all of the social commentary stuff to the curb in favour of being a straight on horror movie and, for the most part, it worked fine in that regard. The zombies definitely looked a lot better, Barbara was obviously much improved and I enjoyed the Tom and Judy characters a lot more as well.

If I had one major complaint it's that they went too far with the zombie child in the basement. I love the subtle shot in the original of her attacking the mother with the spade and the blood hitting the wall. It's very good at convincing you that you've seen more than was actually shown. In the remake, Savini has the kid bite the shit out of the mother and the actress does this weird thing where she opens her mouth really wide before biting her. While I think it's supposed to be scary I found it just looked ridiculous and really took me out of the scene.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Thread Information