Thread: Fright Fest 9: Never to be Certified Fresh

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Fright Fest 9: Never to be Certified Fresh

Day #16
    Title: Clowntergeist
    Year: 2017
    Director: Aaron Mirtes

Residents of a small town deals with a killer clown that haunts its future victims with red balloons that have written the exact date and time of their upcoming death.

What can you possibly say about a horror movie that was clearly made for dirt cheap, designed to cash-in on the expected popularity of a mainstream horror film, and no one goes into with any expectations of it being good? It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Clowntergeist isn’t a good movie. Just look at the name - Clowntergeist. That’s pretty lousy. Oddly enough, it’s not even an accurate name for Ribcage, the evil clown. Ribcage is said to be a demonic clown, which means perhaps a more accurate title would have been Demon Clown? Then again, it’s safe to say that besides trying to cash-in on the release of IT: Chapter 1, Clowntergeist was also hoping to rely on the past popularity of 1982’s Poltergeist.

Going into the film with such a low budget, there’s going to be certain strict limitations. You’re not casting a couple of A-list stars wanting to get away from mainstream releases and try to grab Oscar attention with a small budget film. I imagine most of the cast has little to no acting acting. The one thing that the film would have going for it is the ability to be wacky. After all, the title is Clowntergeist. With such an absurd title, it’d be fair to expect a Sy-Fy Original Movie that’s so bad that it’s good. Clowntergeist is simply so bad that it’s really bad. It’s treated as a serious film with very little fun to be had. Why? The tension is never there, causing the entire attempt at creating a serious horror movie to be a waste. It’s a shame too because a stupid movie where a clown is haunting its victims has potential.

If you’re a fan of urban legends, this film has a couple of pretty popular ones including the one about a babysitter unnerved by a clown statue that she learns the homeowner doesn’t have and the “People can lick too” story. In both cases, the stories have been varied just a bit to make them slightly original. In both cases, they feel thrown in and not organic to the story. As if the filmmakers threw in the stories as an easy way to scare the audiences, but instead they both fall flat. It did make me think that had they expanded on the urban legends and added a couple more, all tweaked to include a clown, you could have a potentially fun clown-based urban legend anthology film.

Besides stealing from IT and Poltergeist, the film also seems to borrow heavily from The Ring’s premise of knowing when you’re going to be killed. It’s supposed to add a layer of mystery of suspense as Emma must figure out how to save her own life before her time’s up. Instead, the story tends to be a mess. Part of the problem is that Ribcage often comes to scare Emma, but we know when her time is up. So these potential kill scenes for her has no effect on the viewer since you know she has to live to at least when her death time comes up. This randomness with Ribcage wasn’t helped by the fact that he often went to attack others in Emma’s life, but didn’t kill them right away. There’s one scene with Emma’s love interest, Jonah, where he’s attacked by Ribcage. Emma and her roommate, Heather, find Jonah tied to a chair and apparently dead...before casually waking up. They untie him and just go right back about their business. Yet, later on in the movie, Ribcage does kill Jonah. I don’t get the point of this other than just to pad the running time.

Despite all of those negatives, I suppose it’s not all bad. As I said, it’s a movie that looked bad on paper and was bad upon watch. So I can’t say it underperformed. Likewise, the weaknesses of the film are mostly what you’d expect it to be weak in. I’m willing to go easier on a film that absolutely had no right to be good compared to a bigger movie that failed. Although none of the scenes grabbed my interest, I can’t say I had to keep checking the time. While recently watching the awful Leatherface, I found myself pausing the film a few times to see if I was close to the end. I guess that means the pacing was good in Clowntergeist? Although you could argue that it’s just taken from IT, but I liked the usage of the red balloons. There’s one scene where Emma finds a red balloon in her car that tells her to turn around and that nearly created a fun tense filled scene.

Grade: F

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming up next, idk, I'll pick out something fun for my birthday.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Great film. 10/10.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

The other night I saw Better Watch Out Jim and Fuji and I really loved it. Luke being the being the bad guy didn't expect that twist for real I thought it was going to be the Pizza Guy that knocks on the Door earlier in the film. Luke obsession to have Ashley love him was off the charts and I was like one moment like someone kill this little fucker, next he was dancing around I was like man I like this like this kid. I even liked the homage to Home Alone with the Paint Can really nice death there, even know you don't see the guy's face, the shot of the blood and paint tells the story. I wouldn't mind a sequel it doesn't need it, but it would be cool to see what will Luke do to get to Ashley. What makes it funny for me, because I can see the kid getting found out by his Parents and throwing a tantrum in the end and not being killed which to me he needs to go..

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I re-watched Split Second this morning and while I enjoyed the episode, mostly due to Brion James being awesome, I've got one small nit to pick. I cannot believe Ted would be able to cut very much wood at the rate of speed he was doing it. After about 15 minutes or so of that his muscles would seize up from sheer usage and he'd need to take a break for the rest of the day to recover, if not longer. I highly doubt an employee that works 15 minutes a day would be worth keeping around so in reality the rest of the episode would be negated since he'd never get the job in the first place.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Movie Villains~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Great film. 10/10.
    I don't know man, looks like the Bullet Club of horror films to me.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I re-watched Split Second this morning and while I enjoyed the episode, mostly due to Brion James being awesome, I've got one small nit to pick. I cannot believe Ted would be able to cut very much wood at the rate of speed he was doing it. After about 15 minutes or so of that his muscles would seize up from sheer usage and he'd need to take a break for the rest of the day to recover, if not longer. I highly doubt an employee that works 15 minutes a day would be worth keeping around so in reality the rest of the episode would be negated since he'd never get the job in the first place.
    Oh, for sure. I had the same thought while watching it. Hell, I was exhausted just watching him cut that single log. However, I think the idea is that was just an example of what he could do and he wouldn't have to cut such large pieces of wood (giggity) normally. I can't imagine the boss would care, but it was also an excellent tryout for the wood cutting competition.
    Last edited by Jim; Yesterday at 02:23 PM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oh, for sure. I had the same thought while watching it. Hell, I was exhausted just watching him cut that single log. However, I think the idea is that was just an example of what he could do and he wouldn't have to cut such large pieces of wood (giggity) normally. I can't imagine the boss would care, but it was also an excellent tryout for the wood cutting competition.
    On the subject of the wood cutting competition, while I realize it's definitely something these guys would be into, I also thought it helped further emphasize how boring life around there was. I mean, if a wood cutting competition is what you most have to look forward to in life, I'm pretty sure that your life sucks.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Status

On the subject of the wood cutting competition, while I realize it's definitely something these guys would be into, I also thought it helped further emphasize how boring life around there was. I mean, if a wood cutting competition is what you most have to look forward to in life, I'm pretty sure that your life sucks.
    It's reminiscent of Carpenter's The Thing in being able to not only state how bored and frustrated everyone is, but effectively shows it as well.

Status

Day #17
    Title: Hush
    Year: 2016
    Director: Mike Flanagan

A deaf woman, living alone and in the middle of nowhere, is slowly toyed with over the course of a night by an attacker that can break into her house at any moment.

When looking at various lists of the best horror directors going today, you’re bound to come across the name, “Mike Flanagan” quite a bit in recent years. Flanagan has slowly been building up his name with multiple releases of horror films that I’d call “Better than they should have been” including 2013’s Oculus and last year’s Ouija: Origin of Evil. Keeping in mind that I haven’t seen the recent Gerald’s Game, adapted from a Stephen King novel, thus far I’d say Hush has been Flanagan’s crowning achievement as a filmmaker, showing off his talents and potential to leave a lasting impression on horror.

Without question, the biggest achievement of Hush is its sound work. As the main character, Maddie is deaf, that allows for Flanagan and company to play around with the sound throughout the movie. From the very start of the film, we’re exposed to the fact that a lot of care and attention has been devoted to the sound. As Maddie is (Failing) at cooking herself dinner, every chop of the knife is clear and vibrant. Massive credit to everyone in the sound department especially Vicki Vandegrift, the foley artist. Yet, the fun thing about Hush is that it goes back and forth between giving us clear sounds to taking them all away, robbing us our hearing to help us relate to Maddie. Those silent moments are equally well done particularly when we’re shown a repeated action, this time without the sound, further heightening the supreme sound work. If there was an award I could give for best sound work in a horror movie, Hush would easily win in 2016.

Handicap horror films can be pretty entertaining. They all do seem to follow a simple formula of the baddies deciding to play with their food before feasting, thus giving their handicap victims a fighting chance at surviving. The old Audrey Hepburn film, Wait Until Dark, is another example of an excellent handicap based horror film about a lone woman forced to try and survive on her own despite her disability. The only difference is that in the film, Hepburn is blind, not deaf. Kate Siegel as Maddie did a remarkable job at portraying Maddie as a sympathetic character who also has enough strength to never give up. Even at the end when she’s prepping for death, she’s still fighting, leaving behind a message on her laptop, telling whoever finds it that she died fighting and giving a description of her attacker. The added character trait of being a writer who can see multiple outcomes in her head, even gives Maddie the fun new addition of being someone who can properly think things out thoroughly before acting on her plan. For always thinking and staying cool under pressure, Maddie would be my pick as the best heroine from a horror movie in 2016.

If there’s one thing I hated about Hush when it originally came out on Netflix and still hate with this latest watch, it’s the decision to have Maddie’s attacker remove his mask so early on in the film. Don’t get me wrong, I like the sinister explanation for removing the mask, to take away Maddie’s last hope that her attacker will just leave her alone, since she had never seen his face, but that’s something I would have preferred to see near the end. My biggest criticism about this is also tied to a praise of the film - the mask is awesome looking. Seriously. I love how sinister the white mask is with its slight grin. Worse yet is that the mask is used heavily in the marketing of the film. As of the moment I’m typing up this review, when I open up Netflix on my Roku to view Hush, the poster for Hush is still prominently featuring the mask. How I see it, if you didn’t want to force John Gallagher Jr. to wear a mask for the entire film, he should have been wearing a more generic looking one so that one he ditches it, it’s not a big deal. Strictly speaking, I otherwise love the attacker. I applaud Flanagan keeping the attacker so mysterious to the point where even at the conclusion of the film, we don’t know a single thing about him. We don’t know his name, why he started off killing Maddie’s killer, what his backstory is, or anything else besides knowing that he enjoys playing mind games before killing and what his face looks like.

Due to the fact that this is very much so a movie about the cat and mouse game between an attacker and his intended victim, with the victim continuously trying different attempts to get away, it is slow going. As a result, those horror fans that love action in their films, may be left a little bored or feeling as if nothing happens. I never felt that way because the movie was so well made, but it is also a movie where you don’t need to be paying too much attention to, without missing out on anything. The true saving grace of the film was the sound work and Maddie being so likable. I suspect if the sound didn’t have anything special attached to it and a lesser actress portrayed Maddie, Hush wouldn’t have nearly the appeal that it does. Furthermore, although the action scenes do not happen frequently, when they do happen, they’re well done and bloody. There’s a great sudden death in the middle of the film and a hand injury is particularly gnarly looking. These kills and attacks are exciting enough to help keep this viewer interested as the film returns to its slow pace.

Overall, Hush was one of the better horror films of 2016. I personally ranked it #7 in my end of the top ten horror movies of the year list. With this re-watch being just as exciting, it may even deserve to be moved up a spot or two in the top ten too. I can’t praise the sound design of the film enough. Considering it’s not in your face with gore and the horror, I believe the sound work is enough of a reason for even non-horror fans to give the movie a chance. Although Mike Flanagan is not quite the elite horror director that some makes him out to be, there’s no denying that the guy has a lot of talent and re-watching Hush has only made me more interested in watching his adaptation of Gerald’s Game and any future movies he’ll be making.

Grade: B

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming up later today, a special bonus review featuring another horror television show.

The Bastard of Bolton

Status

Thrilled to see hush included in this. Really dug that film when I saw it. Totally agree with you about the sound aswell. Very good film

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I never really felt like Hush was slow-going since Flanagan paced the film well enough and kept the tension going all the way until the end. It's a massive improvement over his earlier film Oculus, which I felt dragged on for way too long. I enjoyed Hush for what it was but it doesn't seem like a movie that I'll return to anytime soon. I suppose I should get around to watching Oujia and Gerald's Game though, Flanagan has definitely got something even if I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Status

I never really felt like Hush was slow-going since Flanagan paced the film well enough and kept the tension going all the way until the end. It's a massive improvement over his earlier film Oculus, which I felt dragged on for way too long. I enjoyed Hush for what it was but it doesn't seem like a movie that I'll return to anytime soon. I suppose I should get around to watching Oujia and Gerald's Game though, Flanagan has definitely got something even if I can't quite put my finger on what it is.
    Ouija: Origin of Evil was good for what it was. A bit overrated with some making it out to be one of the better horrors of 2016 when it's mostly just as good as Oculus. The biggest accomplishment of Ouija Origin of Evil was that it was a massive upgrade over the shit Ouija 1 film.

Status

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Title: Hush
    Season: 4/Episode: 10
    Director: Joss Whedon

Although I’ve been a horror fan for now a little over half of my lifetime, I was not quick to jump on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer bandwagon. It was still on the air when I started to get really into horror, but I outrightly rejected it. Believing that it was the same sort of teenybopper nonsense that caused me, for a time, to even steer away from the Scream franchise. I’m a serious horror fan, gosh darn it! Eventually, in late 2015, I gave the show a try by watching a few of the season one episodes. It apparently wasn’t enough to fully grab my interest as my attention quickly went to another television show to binge on. Flash forward to a year and a half later and it’s February 2017 and after a lot of pushing from a friend, I finally gave in and gave the show a proper chance. The result? I got a tad bit into it. The sort of “Tad bit into” that led to me only watching Buffy for the last couple weeks of February until my extreme binging finally wrapped up. Throughout the seven seasons, there was certainly a lot of bad (Season seven alone was nearly all garbage), but throughout the series, there were some great moments. One such episode is what I’m going to discuss in this review.

Season 4 saw a big change in the series with the Scooby Gang graduating from high school and the show losing the characters of Angel, Cordelia, Wesley, and Oz while gaining new additions thanks to the remaining Scooby Gang members heading off to college with the arrival of Riley and Tara. As episode 10, “Hush”, begins, everyone is feeling a bit on edge due to over talking. Buffy and Riley can’t seem to get past their inability of sharing their own personal secrets with each other to advance into a relationship, Spike’s chip is forcing him to always hang out at Giles or Xander’s house, much to the annoyance of both parties, Anya wants to know what she means to Xander with Xander not knowing what to say, and poor Willow is struggling in her new college Wicca group, desperate to actually do some spells instead of having each meeting be nonstop talking. For everyone in the little town of Sunnydale, the talking will no longer be a problem with the arrival of The Gentlemen.

The Gentlemen are simply put, the scariest monsters in the entire series. Although there’s many Gentlemen, they typically break off into groups of four. Each group consists of two Gentlemen and two workers. The Gentlemen are thin and tall creatures that are recognizable by wearing suits and having giant grins on their face. These grins are terrifying and each Gentlemen has a slightly different grin, making each unique. While the Gentlemen float down the streets and hallways, their workers are squatting monsters that wear straight jackets and make crazy jerking like movements as they walk along. The Gentlemen are the brains of the operation while the workers are mostly just there to serve a similar role as the Putty Patrollers in Power Rangers where they’re just there to be fodder for the stars to fight.

Rather than just being scary looking monsters, my interest in The Gentlemen only increases once you witness their means of operation. When they first arrive in town, they manage to steal the voices from all of the residents. With everyone silent and unable to even cry, it means they can easily attack their victims each night, using a scalpel to cut out the hearts of those unlucky enough to encounter The Gentlemen. In typical Buffy fashion, Giles is eventually able to figure out who is controlling the town, allowing for a Scooby Gang meeting to take place where Giles gives out all of the information he has on The Gentlemen through an overhead projector “Lecture”. This would be one of the better scenes of the episode, featuring a silent movie era song playing as Giles shows off each new transparency detailing his knowledge of The Gentlemen complete with quickly drawn images to go along with the info. Sometimes the pictures are comical and other times it’s oddly creepy with how gory of a picture Giles drew.

The horror doesn’t only come from The Gentlemen in “Hush” either. A lot of the more terrifying moments of the episode comes from the realistic ramifications if something like a town wide muteness occurred. Everyone in town is feeling downtrodden. Some people turn to religion as if it’s the end of days. Others are just a crying mess, unable to try to move on. Naturally, there’s a lot of miscommunication, typically handled in comedic fashion such as when Xander thought Spike had attacked a sleeping Anya, leading to Xander punching out Spike before realizing his error. The worse would be how some people look at tragedies and see it as a means of gaining personal wealth, benefiting from the tragedy. Such a thing is shown in “Hush” as Buffy and Willow encounter a guy selling small erasable boards for ten dollars each.

The unique thing about The Gentlemen is that for as creepy as they are, they’re not hard to beat. Literally all that’s required to kill them is for someone to scream, causing their heads to explode. Of course, the difficulty there is regaining your abilities to talk. In order to do so, you must destroy the box that keeps everyone’s voices. This is where the workers come into play as Riley and Buffy learn the truth about each other as they both end up battling all of the workers in their quest to destroying the box. Once the box is destroyed and everyone can talk, one good scream from Buffy creates the fun kill involving all of The Gentlemen’s heads to explode at once. This ease of killing The Gentlemen is the only reason why I can see why they were never brought back to the series. It’s an unfortunate thing as the series created this incredible breed of monsters, but it’s an one and done situation. Perhaps it would have been better had Joss Whedon stretched this story out to be a two-parter to get more bang for its Gentlemen buck.

The episode ends up being a fairly remarkable one. All of the problems that plagued everyone at the start of the episode is resolved, thanks ironically to The Gentlemen. Buffy and Riley are now somewhat clued in on their secrets, even though now comes the difficult part in fully explaining to the other their secret. Thanks to Xander’s freak out and attack on Spike, Anya realizes that Xander does truly care about her. Although it’s a bit of a meaningless sub-plot since it didn’t play a role in stopping The Gentlemen, Willow’s frustration over the inactivity of her Wicca group is solved by meeting and bonding with Tara, the only other member of the Wicca group that has legit powers, similarly to Willow. This introduction of Tara would end up becoming a big thing in television history as her and Willow’s relationship was one of the first lesbian couples shown on TV, featuring major characters. Strictly speaking, the only conflict that wasn’t resolved or at least advanced that was presented at the start of the episode was Spike getting on everyone’s nerves, but that’s essentially one of Spike’s most basic character traits.

Overall, the first time I had watched “Hush”, it became one of my favorite episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and now with this re-watch, following completing all of the episodes that come after “Hush”, it's still one of the better episodes. The Gentlemen remain my absolute favorite monsters in the history of the show. Their creepiness is unmatched and still effective upon rewatch. With the exception of the musical episode in season six, "Once More, with Feeling", I would rate “Hush” as the second most creative episode of the series. For newer horror fans that haven’t done much in going back and watching the classics from the silent era, “Hush” can be a nice a little tease of what silent horror can present. The score was wonderful, plenty of significant events happened, and the monsters are unforgettable in this fantastic episode.

Grade: A

Fright in Motion:

Spoiler:

---

Coming up next, two additional days devoted to everyone’s favorite killer doll.

Status

Now you're speaking my language Jim. I didn't know you'd finally given in and joined the cult of Buffy.

Hush is obviously a classic and is rightfully considered to be maybe the best episode of the series. Creepy villain, great premise, a ton of laughs, A+ episode.

Taptalmatic

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Now you're speaking my language Jim. I didn't know you'd finally given in and joined the cult of Buffy.

Hush is obviously a classic and is rightfully considered to be maybe the best episode of the series. Creepy villain, great premise, a ton of laughs, A+ episode.
    Hush is certainly one of the better episodes. My all time favorite episode would be The Body though.

Thread Information