Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Introduction to PROGRESS Wrestling

Progress Wrestling Jim's Introduction to PROGRESS Wrestling

Thanks to enjoying watching some WWE UK action and the recommendations of others to check out PROGRESS, I looked into giving the company a chance. Rather than start with an actual event, I found a torrent list of the stand out matches form PROGRESS from January - June 2017. Seems like a good place to start to try out the company. If I enjoy the company enough, perhaps I'll try some full shows starting in July 2017. As a reminder, this is not my created list, so if I'm skipping over great matches in Jan-June, yell at the person who made the list, not me. Each post will cover one month of the list.

PROGRESS 42

Finn Balor’s Musical Chairs Open Challenge
    Since PROGRESS 42 is taking place on the same night as WWE UK Title Tournament, the WWE were nice enough to offer a couple of WWE wrestlers to help ease PROGRESS’ loss of Dunn, Bate, and Seven. The injured Finn Balor came out and admitted that he’s missed PROGRESS and that while he’s not cleared to wrestle, he will be competing tonight. Picking four random people from the audience, we get a surprisingly fun edition of musical chairs set to Shawn Michaels’ theme song. Right away, Balor seems to have messed up and is the first to be eliminated, but it’s ruled that the other guy sitting in his chair is the guy eliminated. Despite that blatant cheating in favor of Balor, Balor finds himself properly eliminated when it’s down to the final three. The final round is set to Triple H’s theme song and some bloke named Tom wins. It’s certainly an unique “Match” to introduce myself properly to PROGRESS. A ton of fun though.

London Riots vs Ringkampf
    From what I can gather from commentary, London Riots were recently the PROGRESS Tag Champions while Ringkampf are merely making their PROGRESS debut as a tag team. So on paper, this should be an easy match for London Riots as they get back into title contention. Instead, the newcomers utterly destroy the former tag champions. I really dig the old school style of WALTER and Axel Dieter Jr wearing down the opponents with holds and cutting the ring in half. Even though I wouldn’t call this a squash, it’s only competitive enough to keep it interesting. Multiple times in the match, London Riots end up getting a hot tag only for the heels to take control over again shortly afterward. Even when London Riots attempt to hit their finisher, it’s blocked by the newcomers. Ringkampf picked up the victory after a Regal Plex (Dieter)/Choke (WALTER) combo on Davis. Quite fun if one sided. *** ¼

Rampage Brown © vs Matt Riddle - PROGRESS Alpha Title
    You know your roster is filled with small guys when your “Heavyweight” title is designed for wrestlers over 205 lbs. First time seeing Brown and I think I’m a fan. This is the sort of match that I’d think older wrestling fans would enjoy because it’s not about the spots or being fancy. It’s simply beating the fuck out of your opponent. There’s not even much in way of a story. They take turns punishing the other with Brown having a big grin on his face as Riddle fires off kicks at him. Due to the fact that it’s such an even match, the winner isn’t going to be someone who clearly beat the other, but rather got lucky and managed to keep the opponent down for a three count. Riddle couldn’t bro-lieve that Rampage kicked out of a leaping Tombstone, but then found success with a series of strikes until it was enough to beat Brown. The finish was abrupt as it didn’t end with a proper finishing move, but it was the finish of a very believable looking match. Fun stuff. *** ½

PROGRESS 43

Thunderbastard Match
    Apparently a Thunderbastard match is similar to a Royal Rumble match, but it’s only with eight men and eliminations are by pinfall, submission, or DQ. The winner of the match can challenge for any PROGRESS Title. As someone who is unfamiliar with PROGRESS, this match was valuable in terms of being introduced to different aspects of the company. You had three wrestlers I was familiar with in Andrews, Seven, and Scurll, just so that I’m not completely lost on who everyone is. The angles and characters introduced to me in this match all seemed simple enough. The no good Sebastian has been blackmailing the babyface Pastor Eaver in order to take his place in matches. Sebastian is disliked enough that all of the other wrestlers in the match leaves the ring, unwilling to work with him. The plucky gay underdog, Jack Sexsmith, managed to have a huge showing first by rolling up Sebastian and later by getting a submission over another. He reminded me a bit of Santino in the Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber matches where deep down, you know he can’t win, but the story is good enough that you want to believe. Then there’s the ultimate heel in one half of the tag team known as Origin - Zack Gibson. The heat this guy got was amazing. It blew away the heat Seven and Sebastian received. You had a story with Gibson involving having his Origin tag partner, Nathan Cruz, there to help him out and later their old buddy, the massive babyface Dave Mastiff there to try and destroy the Origin tag team. As we got down to the final two of Andrews and Gibson, you had the great story of Andrews being hurt and being out there since #1 while Gibson only came in at #7 and was responsible for eliminating the beloved Sexsmith. The final sequence went on for a long time and there’s an absolute tragic moment as hell freezes over and someone finally counters Andrews’ Stundog Millionaire into Gibson’s submission finisher - Shankly Gates. I bought into the idea that that was the finish. However, Andrews got to the ropes and in time would be able to hit the Stundog Millionaire and follow it up with his Shooting Star Press to win the match. The booking for this match was tremendous. I’m interesting in Pastor Eaver getting proper revenge on Sebastian, Mastiff finding a partner to battle Origin, when Andrews will cash in his title shot, and whether or not Sexsmith continues to be really entertaining to me. While this match had an entirely different feel from the Royal Rumble, it did have the care and attention that I wished the Royal Rumble still had. ****

South Pacific Power Trip w/Dahlia Black vs Ringkampf
    First time seeing the SPPT team of Travis Banks and TK Cooper. They remind me a bit of Scott Lost’s tag teams with Chris Bosh and later Joey Ryan. I think I’m officially a fan of Ringkampf. Gee, I sure hope nothing bad happens like the WWE signing one of them to split up the team. This match was all about WALTER. The big man is SO much fun to watch destroy everyone. Basically, if WALTER was in the ring, he was destroying anyone who dared to get in the way including delivering a big boot to Dahlia Black in a surprising spot. I thought this match as a whole worked better than the Ringkampf vs London Riots match because SPPT found a way to get the best of the German/Austrian team. It’s hopeless trying to best WALTER. He’s just going to kill you. However, if you can get Dieter in the ring, you can cheat to gain the unfair advantage on him and get in a period of time with SPPT in charge. The only problem is that once WALTER gets back into the ring, you’re back to getting your asses beat. Yet thanks to SPPT’s smart thinking, they were able to screw Dieter over with the old Wrestlemania 5 finish of Dieter being tripped up with Banks pinning Dieter. Give me a rematch and I’ll be happy. Another fun Ringkampf match along with enjoying Banks as a worker and digging Cooper’s comedy character with Black. The whole idea that a simple kiss from Black made the geek Cooper think that he could take on WALTER was fantastic. WALTER is amazing. *** ¾

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Jim's Introduction to PROGRESS Wrestling

This is fucking awesome.

Progress have had a large number of great tag matches over the last year. Ringkampf and SPPT won't have much after these chapters but they were a huge part of it. I never really put it together but SPPT do kind of remind me of the Dynasty. You should watch The Origin and let us know how you feel about Ligero and Mastiff.

There's not a lot of Rampage after his loss to Riddle too but he's great.

If you thought Gibson's heat is impressive you should know it's EVERY show and it's always impressive, especially during the American tours because New York and Boston raining boos on Gibson was a sign they translated to America quite well.

There's a fair amount of people that didn't like the Thunderbastard. I thought it was decent.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Status

Well this is a pleasant surprise. Despite me being one of those to demand it.

WALTER is fanatic. Progress has turned me into a big fan. Knew of him before but had just seen a bit of his work in wXw, not a significant amount.

Nicky is right - Progress has had some great tag stuff over the years. South Pacific Power Trip have become a personal favorite. Their story arc is pretty outstanding.

I actually recently just finished watching through the entire Progress chapters from the very start. There is a lot of stuff that isn't really necessary or great mixed in, but its the only way to really some of the story arcs, which is honestly my favorite aspect of Progress.

PROGRESS 44

Pastor William Eaver vs Sebastian - Hardcore Match
    Before the match, Sebastian called Eaver out to take his punishment for laying his hands on him at the last PROGRESS show. In order to keep in Sebastian’s good graces due to the lawsuit or whatever, Eaver must allow Sebastian to hit him with a homemade kendo stick. Before that can happen, some wacky guy named Chuck Mambo came out to real he’s been doing some research and it seems as if it’s been over 150 days since Eaver originally assaulted Sebastian. Apparently the statute of limitations are up and Eaver no longer needs to be controlled by Sebastian, which leads us to this No DQ match. This match was brutal. The kendo stick and chairs are used and each time they’re used, I don’t know how much the shots are actually protected. Eaver appears to be busted open the hard way with one of several chairs thrown at his face. Later on, Sebastian ties Eaver up to the ropes with tape and DESTROYS Eaver’s back with kendo stick shots until it’s cut up. The drama of the match was great with the fans riling to help Eaver recover. Both guys got in big moves including a Border Toss from Eaver into the sea of chairs in the crowd. If I did have one issue, it’s not that it was too brutal in 2017, but that if one of them should have been the bleeding mess, it should have been Sebastian. This is supposed to be revenge months in the making, but despite winning with a killer lariat, Eaver by far looks worse off than the loser Sebastian. Still, the right man won and the match was enjoyable. Just prepare to wince a lot. *** ½

British Strong Style vs Mark Haskins, Flash Morgan Webster, and Jimmy Havoc
    I believe it was at the end of PROGRESS 43 that Pete Dunne retained his PROGRESS Title against Havoc, but the returning Haskins and Webster came out to save Havoc from a BSS beating. I know this is my first time seeing Havoc, but I may have seen Haskins in TNA in 2011. The idea here is that if any member of the babyface team gets the pinfall or the submission, he’ll be able to challenge Dunne for the PROGRESS Title. However, if BSS wins, all three of the babyfaces won’t be able to have any title shots for six months. This was pure insanity as the entire match was worked as a tornado tag with there always being action. That does mean that the story was a bit thin at times. There were some issues early on between the babyfaces struggling to get along due to the fact that if one of them got the pinfall, all three would win, but only one would receive the reward. For my first time seeing Havoc, he seemed okay. Truthfully, I can’t say any of the guys looked bad. I liked that BSS played up their WWE connections with attempts of the Pedigree to tribute Uncle Paul. I went into this match assuming that the babyfaces win, but I was surprised when Havoc won the match considering the fact that he just recieved a title shot at the last show. Even more surprising is that Havoc picked up the win with the Acid Rainmaker on Dunne. I was thinking if anyone was going to be pinned, it’d be Seven. Wild matches can be fun, but I also think story based matches tend to be even more fun. Still, this had a bit match feel to it and I was blown away by how over Haskins is in PROGRESS. *** ¾

After the match, Havoc gets on the mic to announce that he’ll be challenging Dunne on March 19th for the PROGRESS Title in a death match. For me, the highlight of the post-match was the reaction to “Winning” from Haskins and Webster. Both look so dejected that they didn’t win the reward that they sold the hell out of coming so close, but losing such a great chance despite technically winning the match.
    ---

With only one PROGRESS show in February, that’s it. With seven matches in total, the March post next will have plenty more PROGRESS action though.

Rebel Heart

Status
      Country                    England

IT'S YOUR ROUND. IT'S YOUR ROUND. IT'S YOUR ROUND.

WALTER is fucking amazing. One of the best wrestlers in the world. Glad you're checking him out, as well as Progress. Can't wait to see your thoughts on his matches with Riddle.

You actually rate some of these matches higher than I do. I didn't enjoy the Eaver/Seb stuff at all. Sadly Thunderbastard was the end of Scurll until Chapter 55.

[Your Name.]

Status
      Country                    UK

Digging this!

It's been a weird year for PROGRESS in a sense, whilst there's been a big raise in profile, they've also said goodbye to a lot of talent this year. Basically, try not to get too attached to some of these guys

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    You actually rate some of these matches higher than I do. I didn't enjoy the Eaver/Seb stuff at all. Sadly Thunderbastard was the end of Scurll until Chapter 55.
    Was the hardcore match rewarding from a storyline perspective? Any thoughts on my stance that Seb should have been the one to be brutalized in the match instead of Pastor Eaver?

PROGRESS 45

What’s the deal with the shields? Are they PROGRESS’ version of the tag titles? If so, are they PROGRESS’ idea or BSS’ idea? Then, what about the images I’ve seen of the actual PROGRESS Tag Titles? Are the physical title belts a new thing or were they briefly taken out of the picture in favor of BSS using the shields instead? Those damn shields are baffling to me.

British Strong Style © vs South Pacific Power Trip w/Dahlia Black - PROGRESS Tag Titles
    SPPT are like an entirely different tag team compared to their match against Ringkampf. Their previous match got over their ability to play characters, particularly TK Cooper. Here, they’re babyfaces and pretty outstanding workers. Again, it mostly has to do with Cooper. He took such a beating early on with his chest becoming extremely red and nearly being cut open, but the way he kept coming back made him a fantastic underdog babyface. In the previous match, I wanted to see Cooper get his ass kicked, but here I was surprisingly behind his attempts to make a comeback and win the belts. It’s a bit funny how Cooper is seemingly the member of SPPT that how the team are like, but Banks is clearly going to be the star. It seems as if 2017 was already a big year for him, but I imagine 2018 will be huge. I’m under the impression that it won’t be long before a bigger company snatches him up. With Cooper getting his ass kicked and trying to make a comeback, BSS did a great job at heeling it up, and there were some crazy sequences of the action going back and forth. Even knowing that BSS doesn’t lose their titles here, I was buying into the idea that SPPT had the ability to win the titles on this night. I did feel as if the match lost its way just a little bit near the end rather than finishing the match at the peak of the excitement. Still, another really impressive performance by SPPT and Bate. *** ¾

After the match, Jimmy Havoc rushed out to attack BSS with a chair. He leaves the PROGRESS Tag Champions lying on the mat. The whole idea here is that if BSS are hurt, they’re not going to be able to interfere in Havoc’s PROGRESS Title shot against Pete Dunne later tonight. Although the angle was good, it was immediately ruined with Bate and Seven standing up and walking to the back, acting as if they hadn’t been hit with a chair several times each. WTF was this? Sell that shit! You don’t need to be stretched out of the building, but man, at least crawl to the back or something. If BSS weren’t going to properly sell the beating, this post-match angle was pointless. I expected better from Bate.

Pete Dunne © vs Jimmy Havoc - Death Match - PROGRESS Title
    A rematch from PROGRESS 43. Unlike in their first match, thanks to his chair attack against BSS, Havoc won’t need to worry about Bate or Seven interfering. Oh wait, that angle was ruined. One of my annoyances with today’s WWE is their inability of having proper hardcore matches anymore. I understand why they don’t and I’m cool with it, but my mindset is that if you can’t work actual hardcore matches, don’t bother working overly sanitized hardcore lite matches. NJPW certainly makes it work. Here, PROGRESS promised a Death Match and they delivered. I was loving the majority of this. There were so many sick spots, the one that made me wince the most was when Havoc gave Dunne paper cuts in a spot I’ve never seen before in wrestling. Along with a big match feel for this, this was shaping up to be the best PROGRESS match I’ve seen thus far and then Will Ospreay showed up. Ugh. Ospreay nearly ruined this match for me. This wasn’t a match I wanted to see interference in. I wanted a proper conclusion to this war that had apparently been going on since PROGRESS 39. The action continued with Ospreay interfering whenever he could. The longer it went on, the less and less I was emotionally involved until Dunne finally finished Havoc off with the Bitter End to retain the title. I loved the majority of this, but the booking really let me down. *** ½

After the match, Will Ospreay attacks Havoc some move, laying him out with Havoc’s own Acid Rainmaker.

PROGRESS 46

Jimmy Havoc vs Will Ospreay - Fans Bring the Weapons No DQ Match
    I do like how in watching these snippets of PROGRESS, I am easily following certainly angles thanks to PROGRESS setting something up and then seemingly delivering on it at the next show. Ospreay’s assassination entrance sure was...something. I have to give credit to this match. These two managed to have the first PROGRESS match that I actively disliked. Right away, I’m not very keen on the fact that it’s a fans bring the weapons sort of hardcore match. It’s certainly creative and it helps it have a different feel than the Havoc/Dunne hardcore match, but it’s more of a goofy sort of match that didn’t fit the feel of what is supposed to be such a serious issue. I found it especially disappointing that the most unique weapon, a grandfather clock, wasn’t even used. Midway into the match, some tiny guy named Paul Robinson ran out to interfere. Ugh. Not only is Robinson there to mess with the middle of the match, but he returns late in the match to interfere yet again. In one of the more random ideas I’ve seen in a match, Ospreay gets on the mic near the end and challenges Havoc to make this a Loser Leaves Town match. The fuck? Why are you just announcing that in the middle of a match rather than use that huge stipulation to add interest for a future show? The match kept going on and on, I’m emotionally checked out. The most impressive spot of the match, an Essex Destroyer from the top rope through a table is only used as a nearfall. Ugh. Finally, Havoc wins after one of a handful of Acid Rainmakers with barbed wire. Ospreay must leave PROGRESS and I don’t care at all. Hell, with how much I disliked this match, I would have preferred it went to a draw, forcing both men out. This is officially my most hated match of 2017. * ¾

Pete Dunne © vs Mark Andrews - PROGRESS Title
    This is apparently their first match in PROGRESS, which is made possible due to Andrews’ Thunderbastard win. In a nice touch, they’ve been involved in two major tournaments in the last year (BOLA 2016/WWE UK Championship) with both men picking up a win over the other. This ended up not being what I expected. Perhaps I’m looking at the Thunderbastard Match wrongly, but with this match being set up with Andrews’ Thunderbastard victory, I expected this to have a big match feel. While there were some big moments, most of the time this just felt like a B-title defense for Dunne. There were interactions with the referees, which in theory I didn’t have a problem with, but the manner in which there were ref bumps came off more comedic than anything to me. The amount of reverseranas in the match came across as overkill to me. The Dusty finish was handled poorly since there wasn’t any drama in Andrews seemingly winning the PROGRESS Title because the viewer could plainly see that Dunne’s foot was under the bottom rope and we could see the original referee talking with the second ref, so the commentators going crazy felt unnecessary. The actual action tended to be good though and Andrews is great at big counters to set up bigger moves. There was a lot of excitement when the match restarted and I loved the spot where Dunne nailed Andres with a forearm as Andrews came down with a Shooting Star Press attempt. Dunne would retain the title after a Dusty finish, BSS interference, and the Bitter End. As a B-title defense, this was enjoyable, but there were elements in this match that left a lot to be desired. Disappointing without being bad. *** ¼

PROGRESS Orlando

South Pacific Power Trip w/Dahlia Black vs JML
    I believe I saw a couple of Strickland matches when he first started to gain a name on the indies. Meanwhile, I don’t believe I’ve seen any Callihan since he was first signed by WWE. Other than the fact that there was very little selling, this was a ridiculously fun match. It was nonstop action with all four men going crazy in and out of the ring. There’s plenty of double team spots and even some involving all four men. The sequence between Banks and Callihan makes me want to see a singles match between the two. Since there wasn’t a title involved, I bought into the idea that either team could win at any time. It ended up being SPPT that scored the win after dropping Strickland down on his head for the three count. A ton of mindless fun. *** ¾

Before the next match, Jim Smallman takes a moment to honor Kris Travis on the one year anniversary of his death. A nice touch by PROGRESS.

Matt Riddle © vs Trent Seven - PROGRESS Atlas Title
    The combination of the last few PROGRESS matches frustrating me a bit with the booking and generally not being impressed with Seven, I believe played a big role in me enjoying this. Riddle is so great at making his matches look believable. I’ll give Seven a hand, he ended up looking great out there by just playing up the big lads mean man match. Both men were relentless at firing off big shots or dropping the other on their head. I’m becoming a big fan of Seven’s piledriver enough that I’ve went to the trouble of looking up what he calls it so I can officially refer to it as Seventh Heaven. Despite firing off everything he had to offer including the Seventh Heaven and Seven Star Lariat, Seven could not keep Riddle down. The finish was nice and abrupt with Riddle surprising Seven with the Bromission to force the submission victory. I wish this PROGRESS pack had more Atlas Title matches because they tend to be different from the other matches and they deliver. A great match and easily the match where Seven looked his best thus far for me. ****

Pete Dunne © vs Mark Haskins - PROGRESS Title
    So it seems as if this is Haskins’ first PROGRESS Title match since he was forced to vacate the title due to injury, which allowed Dunne to win the belt. Unlike the Dunne/Andrews title match, this had the big match feel to this. I loved the fact that the BSS interference came early on to set up the referee ordering Bate and Seven to return to the back so that we can get an interference free remainder of the bout. Since Haskins went out with a neck injury in 2016, a large portion of this match saw Dunne focusing on the neck. I’m digging Haskins thus far in what I’ve seen of him. He has this fun nature of setting up spots by doing some sort of movement to set up a move rather than just go into the spot in a more traditional way. For example, Haskins sets up his DVD by rolling onto his downed opponent and in the roll, he lifts up his opponent in the fireman’s carry. I dig it. Several moments in the match had me believing in Haskins actually being able to win the title. The finishing stretch was great with Dunne going after the neck as often as he could with multiple piledrivers, Pedigree attempts, and finally forcing Haskins to submit to a sick looking Regal Stretch, to further honor his new WWE connections. A big match feel, plenty of drama, a challenger that seemed like he could win, lack of interference (Except for the very beginning), and Dunne going over cleanly to get the boost made for an incredible match. I’m all for Dunne/Haskins II happening at some point. **** ¼
    Last edited by Jim; 09-24-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Shields were Progress' ideas and they were ditched for belts earlier this year.

I think the Dunne/Havoc death match is better than you've rated it and I think Havoc/Ospreay is slightly better than where you've rated it but I also was not that big on it. Ospreay's entrance was really goofy and high on the Triple H scale of "think I'm cool but I'm not". It was kind of dragging and the ending didn't make Ospreay leaving the promotion he was once a hero in really all that important. They tried for a story but it didn't feel like a big deal in the end. I hated the table destoryer not being a finish too.

After the recent Havoc/Haskins deathmatch, I'm kind of over Jimmy Havoc garbage matches right now.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Rebel Heart

Status
      Country                    England

What’s the deal with the shields? Are they PROGRESS’ version of the tag titles? If so, are they PROGRESS’ idea or BSS’ idea? Then, what about the images I’ve seen of the actual PROGRESS Tag Titles? Are the physical title belts a new thing or were they briefly taken out of the picture in favor of BSS using the shields instead? Those damn shields are baffling to me.
    Yeah the Shields were the old tag team titles. I never liked them, too gimmicky. They switch to the new belts on Chapter 46.

Also, the Progress World Championship used to be represented by a staff that only ever looked cool when Jimmy Havoc was champion:

Spoiler:

I haven't seen the Orlando show yet (maybe you could upload those last 2 matches for me ) so I can't comment on that. We're on similar lines on the Jimmy Havoc death match front. I really enjoyed the match against Dunne, thought it was the best death match I've seen this year. The match with Ospreay however was so bad and rushed because I guess Will gave them short notice he would be leaving for a long ass time. Heel Ospreay in Progress largely sucked although I do like his match with Mark Andrews that looks like it's been overlooked in your list of recommended progress matches.

Chapter 45 btw gets my nod for Progress show of the year. Zack Gibson and El Ligero have a fun comedy match, Andrews faces Ospreay as I previously mentioned, and WALTER and Axel take on The Hunter Brothers in a fun tag match.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I also have not seen the Orlando show.

They just put the Cologne show up today so maybe I'll treat myself to a double feature tonight.
    -------
    -------

[Your Name.]

Status

I've seen the first 2 or 3 matches of the Orlando show, but the audio levelling was doing my head in so I skipped that one with half-hearted intention to get back to it at some point.

I actually enjoyed Havoc/Ospreay more than Havoc/Dunne at the time, but both were pretty crazy. If you're tiring of Havoc death matches, I think he's still booked for some higher profile ones with Fight Club Pro & ICW later this year so he ain't slowing yet.

Of that batch though, SPPT/BSS is definitely my favourite.

There isn't any more Havoc in this pack and I can't say I'm disappointed.

The shields (And the staff) are pretty hokey, so I'm glad PROGRESS wised up and created their beautiful looking belts instead. Massive improvement.

PROGRESS Orlando seems like a great show overall. It's going to be the first full PROGRESS show I'll review since I've already covered 4 out of 7 matches and the remaining three matches are all under ten minutes each with the highlight being Zack Sabre Jr being in action against Jimmy Havoc (At least it won't be a death match).

For this thread, there's only nine matches remaining, five of which involve Travis Banks. I'm glad I dig the guy because he's featured a lot in this pack.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Would anyone argue with Banks being PROGRESS' MVP this year? BSS, Riddle, and WALTER have been great and the promotion has been a revolving door for guys coming or leaving (mostly leaving), but Banks with SPPT and solo has been a real driving force for a lot of these shows, especially in between Chapter 48 and Chapter 55.
    -------
    -------

Status

Jim isn't a Jimmy Havoc fan? Sacrilege!

Honestly, I don't know if I would enjoy him nearly as much without having watched through the whole story arc they had with him.

Totally agree on Banks. He has become on of my favorites as well.

Speaking of story arcs, the South Pacific Power Couple and Origin story arcs are pretty worthwhile as well. Both made me like those involved significantly more. I've heard some complaints recently that some fans are annoyed that Progress haven't done as consistently well with the story arcs thru much of 2017 and I agree to some degree (though its probably better for the actual Progress discussion thread lol).

PROGRESS 47

South Pacific Power Trip w/Dahlia Black vs London Riots
    At the start of the match, the commentators admit that this will be the final time we’ll see TK Cooper and Black in PROGRESS as they have to return home to New Zealand. WHAT?! Can’t you just send London Riots back in their place? With this only being my second time watching London Riots, I’m not overly impressed with them. Several times they produced sloppy looking spots, but more importantly, they just can’t compare to the talents of SPPT, BSS or Ringkampf. The first half of the match was mostly just comedy with Cooper selling the fact that he’s saddened by having to leave PROGRESS. Even London Riots take time to console Cooper. The second half is a storyless wild match that felt as if it could have fit in the Attitude Era with all of the brawling in the crowd and even Black getting involved. I don’t know if it’s just because Cooper and Black were leaving, but SPPT were super over on this night. London Riots did get in one good heel spot, despite being faces I think, when they attempted SPPT’s own finisher, Sky Tower. SPPT got revenge for that when nailing London Riots’ catapult spear better than the London Riots can even do it. Since this is the night all about TK Cooper, SPPT got the victory with the Sky Tower on one of the members of the London Riots. The match was just okay, but they made the match feel special with all of the emotion attached to it. I’ll miss Cooper. He was a good entertainer. *** ¼

British Strong Style © vs Ringkampf - PROGRESS World/Tag Titles
    First time seeing Timothy Thatcher in PROGRESS. It’s a small thing, but I dig how all three members of Ringkampf have matching jackets, but each style is different. It unifies them while also letting them stand out as well. With all three belts on the line, if Ringkampf win, they will be able to choose who gets which title, although it is implied that Thatcher would get the PROGRESS Title. A couple of random notes. Dieter looks a lot like a younger and thinner version of JBL. Second, for as talented as Pete Dunne is, he is the absolute drizzling shits at doing Triple H’s spitting water taunt. Every time BSS does that fun taunt, Bate and Seven does it well, but Dunne’s looks so bad. Like, is there a NXT class Dunne can take to learn to do it properly? Maybe even spend a few bucks to CGI the water in? As for the match, it was great. Throughout the match, it kept making me want to see individual matches. I want to see WALTER vs Bate and Seven. I want to see any combo of Ringkampf vs Mustache Mountain. I want to see Thatcher vs Dunne. One brief issue between Bate and Dunne made me want to see the two lock up in a PROGRESS ring as well. The bout took its time and provided the fans with plenty of big moments, some comedy, a story with Thatcher being worked over, and naturally plenty of WALTER destroys the world moments too. Even though I knew that BSS wouldn’t be losing the belts, I bought into several of the near finishes, especially with WALTER’s sleeper on Seven. The ending with Dunne using a title to knock out WALTER while Seven was being put to sleep to allow an unconscious Seven to pin WALTER was disappointing, but only because I wanted a Ringkampf victory. Give me a series of WALTER vs BSS matches please. A hell of a six man match that in theory should have set up plenty more matches, but was all they could do for at least one member of the six. ****

After the match, Axel Dieter Jr sticks around to say goodbye to the PROGRESS fans. Good luck in Orlando.
    ---

Another short PROGRESS month due to a loaded March thanks to coming over to America for Wrestlemania. Still, there’s a couple of farewells to make this show feel special.

[Your Name.]

Status

Did you get the post match stuff after the Riots/SPPT Jim? To me it's one if the segments of the year. The 6 man tag is damn awesome.

I'm gonna give Peter the benefit of the doubt on the water spitting thing due to his gum shield

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Did you get the post match stuff after the Riots/SPPT Jim? To me it's one if the segments of the year.
    The video ends with SPPT hugging and a bit of playing to the crowd.

I'm gonna give Peter the benefit of the doubt on the water spitting thing due to his gum shield
    He needs to learn to take out his mouth guard then. I've seen Dunne botch the water taunt a few times now including that ICW UK Title match I reviewed in another thread.

Status

There was more to the SPPT post match that is worth digging up if you can. I agree with Dave - its a pretty special moment and says something about how Progress looks upon talent.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Jim is going to bust a nut when he watches Chapter 53.
    -------
    -------

Thread Information