Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jim's Introduction to PROGRESS Wrestling

[Your Name.]

Status
      Country                    UK

Re: Jim's Introduction to PROGRESS Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The video ends with SPPT hugging and a bit of playing to the crowd.
    Spoiler:

There's a heartfelt goodbye speech from TK & Dahlia, and Glen (one of the owners) offers the SPPT a tag title match anywhere in the world when possible. BSS then come out to rain on everything and attack TK, holding Dahlia back whilst they pillmanize TK's leg before Ringkampf run them off. Real emotional stuff and most importantly sets up a big angle going forward.

PROGRESS 48

Travis Banks vs Trent Seven
    Banks is out for revenge due to British Strong Style ruining South Pacific Power Couple’s PROGRESS farewell. Despite being a short match at just eight minutes, this was pretty fucking rad. There’s a large sequence that happens before the actual match that consists of Banks performing a suicide dive during Seven’s entrance and swatting away chairs that Seven throws at his face. Banks found a perfect middle ground between being a no-selling Terminator and being a fiery babyface. The heat was strong throughout the match and it was just a ton of fun seeing Seven get his ass kicked. For whatever reason, those in the building didn’t buy into the finish with Seven rolling Banks up with a fistful of tights. I bought into the idea that it could be the finish, so when this dramatic moment for me was met with mostly silence before the three count, it baffled me. I guess everyone just assumed Banks would win? PROGRESS did everything possible in order to make Banks look like a star here without taking away his need for revenge. *** ¾

And that’s apparently it for PROGRESS 48 in this pack. Odd, every other PROGRESS show represented in this pack received at least two matches. That Matt Riddle/Tyler Bate match sounded good too.

PROGRESS 49

Matt Riddle vs Jeff Cobb - Super Strong Style 16 - Quarter-Finals
    This is my first time seeing any sort of Cobb match. PROGRESS misspells “Navada” in Riddle’s entrance graphic, which makes me want to go back to check if they spelled it correctly in Riddle’s other matches. This ended up being pretty damn incredible. Riddle is so great. He knows exactly how to work a high impact match that comes across as believable. These two beat the hell out of each other with Riddle continuing to impress me with some of his shows of strength against the big lad. Despite there being a ton of nearfalls, it worked well with me. Each time a big move was hit, I bought into the idea that it could be the finish. After a series of nearfalls, the normally relaxed Riddle loses his shit and throws a bit of a temper tantrum on the outside. And yet, that doesn’t even make Riddle unlikable, it just puts Cobb over as this seemingly unbeatable monster. Once Riddle wasn’t able to pin Cobb after so many nearfalls, I assumed Cobb would be winning the match, so the finish of Riddle getting lucky and knocking Cobb out with a knee was great. A great introduction to Jeffrey Cobb and Riddle continues to prove that he’s one of the true MVP’s of this PROGRESS pack. **** ¼

Travis Banks vs Flamita - Super Strong Style 16 - Quarter-Finals
    Not only is this my first time seeing Flamita, but I only first heard his name when he was announced for BOLA 2017. I liked the touch of having Smallman introduce Flamita in Spanish. Sadly, Banks is no longer using the SPPT theme song. It makes sense since the song seemed to fit Cooper more than Banks, but it’s just another reminder that SPPT aren’t a thing for now. Unfortunately, I didn’t feel as if this was a very good first showcase for me when it comes to Flamita. The commentators claimed he was this really fast and crazy high flyer, but we didn’t see it here. The commentators do claim that he’s pacing himself to try and work the two additional matches he’d need to wrestle in order to win SSS 16. However, when you’re told that someone is a major high flyer, but Banks destroys him in crazy moves and speed, it’s difficult not to be disappointed. They worked a competitive back-and-forth match where Flamita did get in a few nice counters to show that he can do some things impressively. I don’t know, this just came off like a standard tournament match, perfectly fine, but certainly not a stand out like Riddle/Cobb. Banks is always fun to watch though. Banks would counter a 450 Splash attempt into his Lion’s Clutch hold to force the submission. *** ¼

Travis Banks vs Zack Sabre Jr. - Super Strong Style 16 - Semi-Finals
    Well, on paper, this sounds pretty fucking amazing. The downside to the match is that it’s a semi-finals match, so both men are going to sell exhaustion and it’s not going to be really long. The upside is that it’s still a match with Sabre and Travis Fuckin’ Banks. When things got physical, they beat the fuck out of each other, particularly with kicks. This really makes me want to see a rematch between the two where they’re given a proper enough time and they’re not forced to hold back a bit. I bought into the assumption that Sabre would automatically win this match and when he countered a Slice of Heaven with a triangle, I figured that would be the finish. Instead, Banks fought out of it and continued to take it to Sabre until he could hit another Slice of Heaven to get the victory in what I’d consider a pretty major upset. Maybe Sabre doesn’t do much in PROGRESS, but I see this upset only being made possible due to TK Cooper having to return to New Zealand and PROGRESS suddenly needing something else for Banks to do. As great as SPPT were, it seems as if they’re split has been a really good thing for Banks. *** ½

Travis Banks vs Tyler Bate - Super Strong Style 16 - Finals
    Since I haven’t seen any of Bate’s SSS 16 matches, let’s take a quick look to see who he beat to reach the finals: Pastor William Eaver, Mark Haskins, and Matt Riddle. The fuck? This pack left out another Bate/Riddle match?! This is one of the more unique ways to make me really want to watch a match. While the commentators didn’t really play this up, this match has a pretty amazing backstory. Since Banks’ arrival in PROGRESS, he’s had a nearly flawless record, except his one weakness has been against BSS. SPPT had been undefeated except for their PROGRESS Tag Titles match against BSS. Banks was eliminated by Seven in the PROGRESS Title match where Dunne won the belt in late 2016. Banks’ first match after SPPC leaving was being screwed over in defeat against Seven. For a guy who has had so much success in PROGRESS, Banks has sorta been BSS’ personal bitch. On to the match, you have the beloved babyface against one of the top heels. Not surprising, Bate once again dished out some moves I had never seen him hit before including a Cyclone Kick and Pete Dunne’s own Bitter End. In the middle of the match, there was some hijinx with a couple of ref bumps to allow for BSS to interfere, but that brings out CCK to come to Banks’ rescue. I’m unfamiliar with CCK, but I guess they’re Banks’ buddies from another promotion? It’s a great introduction to them though as they came out to a BIG reaction that made them come across as stars on Mark Haskins’ level. Even though there is interference, it’s only in the middle of the match, saving the rest to be clean between Bate and Banks. That’s when the drama ramped up with Bate hitting Banks with everything including a Gotch Style Tombstone on the outside, that led to Banks doing his Terminator selling, a Gotch Style Tombstone in the ring, and Spiral Tap for a nearfall. The biggest fucking moment of my British wrestling watching occurs as Bate hit the Tyler Driver ‘97 and TRAVIS FUCKING BANKS KICKS OUT OF IT! Bate looks as if he’s about to break down and cry and I’m so satisfied that that expectation of a big moment when I finally saw it lived up to its potential. Bate attempted a top rope Tyler Driver ‘97, but Banks countered it into a Kiwi Crusher and then slapped on the Lion’s Clutch to force Bate to submit to become the 2017 Super Strong Style 16 winner! This match had it all. A ton of drama, believable nearfalls, a rewarding debut, the biggest moment I’ve seen in my British wrestling watching, and the proper finish for Banks to FINALLY end his losing streak about BSS. Without a doubt, this match worked for me because of what I had watched prior to seeing it. Had I watched it without seeing any other British wrestling in the last couple of weeks, it would have just been a really good match. Instead, this match was pure perfection for me. It’s almost a shame to keep watching British wrestling because this was the best possible way to wrap up my WWE UK/PROGRESS watching. For me, and for me alone, there’s only one possible rating for this match. *****

Rebel Heart

Status
      Country                    England

Wowzers, the full five from Jim. I think it's a great final although I'm not sure I would go that high on it, prefer both of Bate's matches with Dunne more. You would indeed love the Bate/Riddle matches.

Sadly Flamita sort of bombed on his Progress weekend. I was really looking forward to his matches, but they just didn't live up to the hype.

I thought the Cobb/Riddle match was tremendous too, glad you liked that one. Cobb has a funny reputation with fans, but I like him.

[Your Name.]

Status

Personally had Cobb/Riddle as my match of the weekend, but nice to see a 5* rating in there for Bates/Banks, it was a great match too.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I applaud going the full five. It's a tremendous match and maybe my favorite Progress match on the year (though I loved the recent triple threat)
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

PROGRESS 50

Pete Dunne vs Donovan Dijak
    Neither the PROGRESS Title nor the WWE UK Title is on the line here. I think this may actually be my first time seeing a Dijak match, which surprises me because I’ve been aware of the name for years now. I have to admit, I’m not impressed. He reminds me of the old PWG wrestler, Aaron Aguilera (WWE Carlito’s bodyguard from 2004), where he has the one thing that is truly rare on the indie scene - size. Dijak and Aguilera are both big dudes, yet they wrestle the typical high flying style, what 95% of all indie talent already does. Do you know what style is rare on the indies? A tall monster act. Dijak’s dives to the outside looked like crap too! Each time he did a dive, he barely managed to connect with Dunne. I feel like these high flying big men watched Mike Awesome as a kid and has tried to just replicate him without realizing that Awesome flew around with power based spots. You never saw Awesome hit generic looking spots that are flashy for the sake of being flashy. Despite being the smaller guy, Dunne had the power spot of the match by dropping Dijak on his ass with a forearm strike. Dunne would then win with the Bitter End. This does not make me want to watch more Dijak. ** ¾

British Strong Style © vs CCK - PROGRESS Tag Titles
    From my understanding, CCK have essentially conquered all of British tag team wrestling scenes, with only PROGRESS left for them to rule. Considering the fact that PROGRESS has recently lost such teams as SPPT and Ringkampf (At least the main version), it’s nice to have them bring in a new team that immediately mean something like CCK. Unfortunately, this PROGRESS debut of CCK didn’t exactly help fill the void of the loss of Ringkampf and SPPT for me. Brookes came off as a talented worker though. All of his spots looked crisp and I found myself entertained by him. Kid Lykos seemed really sloppy at times though. It is just their first match, so I’ll give Lykos the benefit of the doubt that he can be good. The other aspect of the match that I found really frustrating was that Brookes was given a series of moves - Tyler Driver ‘97, Seven Star Lariat/Bate Lariat combo, Seven Star Lariat, and Seventh Heaven, and...he kicked out. WTF? That’s way too many top moves strung in a series to just kick out. Hell, it still would have been annoying had Lykos broken up the fall, but at least that would have prevented Brookes from having to kick out. In the middle of this crazy match, Pete Dunne ran out to try to interfere, but Travis Fuckin’ Banks rushed out and gave Dunne a boot before Dunne could do anything. CCK would end up surprising everyone and pick up the victory to end BSS reign of terror over PROGRESS tag division. Again, I can appreciate that PROGRESS has in one night created another top team, but all I can think is these two guys succeeded where truly entertaining tag acts like SPPT and Ringkampf failed? Meh. Interested in seeing more Brookes. *** ¼
    ---

Well, this was a bit of an underwhelming way to end this thread, but this finishes the 30 (31 if you include the Finn Balor musical chairs) match pack for the best of PROGRESS January-June 2017. While not everything worked for me (Looking at you Havoc/Ospreay), plenty of the matches did work. WALTER, Travis Banks, Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, and Matt Riddle were the best workers in this pack. I’ve enjoyed myself enough that I’ll likely be doing a few PROGRESS Chapter reviews starting with PROGRESS Orlando since I have the full show and thanks to two different threads, 4 out of 7 matches have already been reviewed.

Sweet Meat

Status

jim not impressed with dijak is as frustrating as when he wasn't impressed with

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Rebel Heart

Status
      Country                    England

Dijak's not all that tbf.

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Dijak's not all that tbf.
    he's all that and a bag of chips. Especially in Beyond.

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    jim not impressed with dijak is as frustrating as when he wasn't impressed with
    The fuck are you talking about? An excerpt from my first Biff Busick match review (EVOLVE 36)

My first Busick match. Over the last year and a half or so, Biff has been one of the most praised indy wrestlers around. Does he live up to the insane hype? Short answer? Yes. It's like he's God's gift to indy wrestling.

Sweet Meat

Status

The fuck are you talking about? An excerpt from my first Biff Busick match review (EVOLVE 36)
    that wasn't your first biff busick match review, dog. it was biff v mike bailey from pwg. see, you didn't even remember

Spoiler:

that wasn't your first biff busick match review, dog. it was biff v mike bailey from pwg. see, you didn't even remember
    Apparently I'm a time traveler because the Biff/Bailey match from PWG took place at From Out Of Nowhere (Took place on Feb 27, 2015), meanwhile my review of EVOLVE 36 was posted on Feb 19, 2015.

Wut now, biotch?

*Drops mic*

Sweet Meat

Status

Apparently I'm a time traveler because the Biff/Bailey match from PWG took place at From Out Of Nowhere (Took place on Feb 27, 2015), meanwhile my review of EVOLVE 36 was posted on Feb 19, 2015.

Wut now, biotch?

*Drops mic*
    Drats, foiled again.

You win this round.

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Dijak is good to me but I understand he's not for everyone.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Sweet Meat

Status

One more offish topic post: I suggest checking out his Gresham and Biff stuff from Beyond. A+ work there.

Oh, and keep on reviewing. Fun to read.

Spoiler:

One more offish topic post: I suggest checking out his Gresham and Biff stuff from Beyond. A+ work there.
    I could lie to you and myself and claim that I'll certainly give his Beyond work a watch, but we both know I won't. It's not as if I properly gave PROGRESS a chance by watching a random show. I needed to get a bit interested in watching WWE UK and then finding that PROGRESS match pack. Without both of those things, I know I wouldn't have followed through with my attempt at watching a full show.

Not to mention, my first match from Dijak was a dud and from my very limited experience watching Gresham in CHIKARA, was another dud. I imagine I'll see Dijak in another match when I watch a TakeOver featuring him when I get around to seeing it in 5 years.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Man, you're really not giving someone a chance if you think they're a dud just from watching CHIKARA.

Gresham is great.
    -------
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Man, you're really not giving someone a chance if you think they're a dud just from watching CHIKARA.

Gresham is great.
    Dude, in the past two weeks, I've watched more 2017 wrestling than I had in the previous eight months combined. I'm not interested in giving people second chances when I watch so little current wrestling in the first place.

[Your Name.]

Status

Wait, what did Hieracon do wrong in CHIKARA?

I'll co-sign not being totally behind Dijak yet, but like Jim this is pretty much my main exposure to the guy.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Me watching Will Ospreay's entrance against Jimmy Havoc:
    "That sure was lame and weird. What point was he trying to make?"

"Hailing from Essex, he is the AERIAL ASSASSIN..."

Me:
    "Ohhh....I guess"

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Thread Information