Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE UK Championship Title Defenses Review

WWE Network WWE UK Championship Title Defenses Review

Since I’ve been enjoying watching the WWE UK matches, let's continue it with a compilation of sorts featuring WWE UK Title defenses. I believe these are all of the title defenses (Besides the one featured at UK Championship Special that I already reviewed) that have been released on the WWE Network or by outside companies.

Tyler Bate © vs Trent Seven - WWE UK Title - NXT - February 15, 2017
    A match that was heavily teased to happen in the semi-finals in the UK Title Tournament before Wolfgang pulled off the upset and beat the inferior Seven. I’m really starting to dig Bate’s theme song. Besides being an anticipated match from the UK Tournament, this also has the appeal of tag partners going at it. There’s some lite comedy early on with both men twirling the mustache of the other. As always, I’m impressed with Bate and left feeling indifferent towards Seven. Bate busted out an over the top rope suicide dive to once again show that he’s got moves he hasn’t even introduced to the WWE audience yet. The moment where the match started to get clearly good is when there was a nearfall with Seven’s Seven Star Lariat after Seven popped up from the mat after Bate’s Bop & Bang punch. Luckily for me, Bate was able to kick out of Seven’s finisher, but Seven was incapable of kicking out of the Tyler Driver ‘97. Since Seven isn’t as good as Dunne or Andrews, this is the weakest of the three UK Title matches that I’ve seen so far. Still enjoyable for a weekly NXT match though. *** ¼

Tyler Bate © vs Mark Andrews - WWE UK Title - Progress: Orlando
    My first time watching a match from Progress. This Progress in America show took place on the Friday before Wrestlemania 33. The good news? I dig Bate’s Progress Tag Title. It’s a different sort of concept for a tag title belt and it looks great. The bad news? Bate isn’t sporting his WWE theme music. Bullshit. The biggest difference between this and the other Bate matches that I’ve seen is that Bate is apparently a heel in Progress. It makes for quite a baffling scene to hear someone in the crowd try to start the Tyler Bate song/chant and they get booed for it by the rest of the crowd. Unless I’m mistaken, I believe PWG’s own, Excalibur, is one of the commentators for this match. The first half of this was pretty uneventful other than being able to witness Bate as a heel. The match was more aggressive than their WWE UK Championship Special rematch though. Things got a lot more exciting in the second half as they picked up the pace and Bate once again begin busting out moves I hadn’t seen him do before. This time the moves included a variation of the Tombstone Piledriver and even more crazy, a standing shooting star press. Although I liked the shift in dynamic with Bate being a heel, this didn’t have the big match feel that the WWE matches had. Still, both men worked their asses off. After Andrews missed a Shooting Star Press, Bate pinned him with Tyler Driver ‘97. Lesson learned? Whether it’s the WWE or Progress, you’re not kicking out of the Tyler Driver ‘97. The inevitable match where someone kicks out of the Tyler Driver ‘97 is going to come across as a big deal to me. *** ½

Tyler Bate © vs Jack Gallagher - WWE UK Title - NXT - April 26, 2017
    Other than his appearance in the Royal Rumble 2017 match, this might be my first chance seeing Gallagher in action. I’d consider this to be more of an exhibition than anything else. For starters, it’s a bit difficult to buy into the idea that Gallagher was going to win the title. However, for what it was, it was pretty enjoyable. I enjoyed all of Gallagher’s leverage holds that reminded me of Nigel McGuinness or Bryan Danielson. He even got in some good headbutt shots. For such a weak looking guy, Gallagher is a tough fucker. Bate didn’t have much of a problem though as he’s able to put Gallagher away with his first attempt of the Tyler Driver ‘97. Basically, Gallagher was less of a legitimate threat to Bate as much as he was an annoying thorn in Bate’s side that kept bending Bate’s limbs in the wrong direction. I’m cool with seeing more Gallagher. ***

Tyler Bate © vs Pete Dunne - WWE UK Title - NXT Takeover: Chicago
    NOOOOOOOOO! Those WWE bastards altered Tyler Bate’s theme song! This is why we can’t have any nice things. As a reminder, this was a rematch of the UK Title Tournament Finals where Bate beat Dunn despite a bad shoulder injury. Since then, Dunne earned this title shot by defeating Trent Seven in a #1 Contender’s Match. The one “Negative” of the match is that the story wasn’t as good as their previous match that was built all around the injured shoulder. Instead, the strength of this match comes from having the big match feel to it.The crowd felt bigger and there seemed to be far bigger moves displayed in this match. The fist fight was great. There was a big sequence with Dunne countering Tyler Driver ‘97 into an attempted Bitter End, but Bate countered THAT into a Tornado DDT. In today’s edition of “What new move will Tyler Bate bust out?” was the reveal of the Spiral Tap. For a guy who doesn’t typically wrestle as a high flyer, Bate is fully capable of busting them out when he chooses. Perhaps what I loved most was the finish. It was so simple and more importantly, it made sense. Bate attempted the suicide dive to the outside, but Dunne avoided it. With Bate crashing and burning, Dunne tossed Bate back into the ring and delivered the Bitter End to score the pinfall to become the NEW WWE UK Champion. I feel as if the vast majority of times that spot would be performed, it’d just lead to a nearfall in order to keep the match going and for us to witness several finisher kicks outs. Not here though. Dunne wasn’t trying to hit some fancy moves or anything like that. He knew Bate was in serious trouble so Dunne immediately attempted to finish the match. A very physical match that had a big fight feel, but also a match that was smartly worked. Easily the best WWE UK match I’ve seen thus far. **** ½

Pete Dunne © vs Trent Seven vs Wolfgang vs BT Gunn - WWE UK Title - ICW - Shug's Hoose Party IV
    Who the fuck is Shug? This would be my first time watching a match from ICW and a match featuring BT Gunn. It occurs to me that this is the sort of match the WWE should gain access to throw on the WWE Network. Be able to gauge the interest of these UK promotions with something small, but something that also is WWE based. This would also be the first time seeing Dunne and Seven as allies...sorta. Before the match, they paid tribute to Uncle Paul with a dual spitting of water, which Dunne is NOT good at at all . They worked together a few times, but they also weren’t afraid to go at it such as when Dunne gave Seven a low blow and again honored Uncle Paul with a Pedigree on Seven for a nearfall. Much to my surprise, I bought into some of the nearfalls when it came to Seven or Wolfgang. For Gunn’s part, he was good enough that I’d be willing to check out a couple more of his matches to get a better idea of if he’s good or not. Some of the booking was a bit unusual. Near the end of the match, Wolfgang pulled out a pair of brass knuckles since they’re apparently legal in ICW. Yet, he only used them once. If they’re legal and you don’t have any problems using them, why not use them for the entire match? Dunne would get the victory after hitting the Bitter End on Gunn while Seven fails to break up the cover in time. There was always action going on, but since it was a fatal four-way, there’s not much in way of a story. Even the partnership of Seven/Dunne wasn’t much of a big deal. Still, this was enjoyable and with four men involved in the match, it’s certainly different from the other matches I’ve watched thus far. *** ¼

Pete Dunne © vs Wolfgang - WWE UK Title - NXT - September 13, 2017
    Another B-title defense for the UK Title. Considering the fact that this is Dunne’s first title defense on WWE TV, there’s zero reason to think that the belt is in trouble for the champ. The good news is that Wolfgang is always good for producing a solid match. They wrestled a competitive match with Wolfgang trying to manhandle Dunne as often as he could. I particularly liked the spot where Wolfgang attempting the Howling, but Dunne countered it into an armbar. I bought into the idea that that would be an out of nowhere finish, even though it was logically extremely doubtful. Ultimately, Dunne won with the Bitter End to predictably retain his WWE UK Title. If you’re going to have a “Meaningless” title defense, this is the type you want to have. I’m all for the WWE using more of Wolfie. *** ¼

After the match, Adam Cole and ReDRagon enter the ring to have a stare down with Dunne. Eventually, Dunne, being a bad ass, decides to fight all three former ROH wrestlers. The numbers overwhelm Dunne, but luckily Wolfgang may not like Dunne, but he’s not going to stand by while one of his fellow UK’ers get tripled team. Wolfgang attempts to fight off the trio, but Cole and company get the best of him. Asshole Dunne decides to just bail on the guy who tried saving him. Dunne seems to come to his senses and rushes back to the ring, but it’s only to retrieve his WWE UK Title. I love Dunne. Finally, Tyler Bate and Trent Seven does head out to the ring to check on Wolfgang and to ensure that Wolfgang doesn’t receive any more punishment.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WWE UK Championship Title Defenses Review

Think you enjoyed the four way more than I did and I enjoyed Bate/Gallagher more than you did. Also thank god you didn't bury the Chicago match.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Is there a list somewhere being updated with all the UK title/division matches? I wanna keep up with Dunne and Bate in WWE but without having to follow NXT or random events.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

[Infinite Warfare]

Status
      Country                    UK

Tbh, I think everything Jim has reviewed (great job BTW) is the bulk of it. There's only a few tag matches here and there missing to the best of my knowledge.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Status

Nice reviews.

Watch Progress.

That is all.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Nice reviews.

Watch Progress.

That is all.

Yeah that too.

Actually come to think of it, Travis Banks did technically kick out of the Tyler Driver recently, even though he took some other stuff too.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Is there a list somewhere being updated with all the UK title/division matches? I wanna keep up with Dunne and Bate in WWE but without having to follow NXT or random events.
    I've been using cagematch to look up which events the UK Title has been defended on. Since it's only a few guys the WWE are using, it's pretty easy to quickly look up. Between the four threads I've had WWE UK reviews in, here are the other matches that have thus far featured the UK Tournament guys on WWE TV:

NXT - Feb 1, 2017
    Tyler Bate (c) vs Oney Lorcan - Non-Title

NXT - Feb 22, 2017
    Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews

NXT - May 31, 2017
    Pete Dunne (c) vs Danny Burch - Non-Title

NXT - Aug 23, 2017
    Pete Dunne and Wolfgang vs Mustache Mountain

As of right now, I believe that's all of the UK Tournament guys on WWE TV, unless you're counting Danny Burch, who seems to be a semi-regular on NXT TV.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Have you watched that Bate/Lorcan match?
    -------
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Have you watched that Bate/Lorcan match?
    Those four matches were going to be a part of this review, but then the match count got a bit high so I just skipped them. Maybe I'll throw up one last WWE UK thread with reviews of the non-title matches after NXT does whatever match they're planning on doing with Cole and ReDRagon with the three babyface UK guys.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Your next little project should be an Oney Lorcan NXT review thread.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Your next little project should be an Oney Lorcan NXT review thread.
    My next comp review project won't be in this section.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Pffft, your loss.

Lorcan RULES

-------
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My next comp review project won't be in this section.
    Fright Fest time!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Fright Fest time!
    Nah, I'll have time to squeeze in one more wrestling comp review before Fright Fest.

GET THESE HANDS

Status
      Country                    England

In fairness Jim, an ONEY review thread would only take you an hour or so to watch

Glad you enjoyed the Chicago match, I imagine that's the highest you've gone on a WWE/NXT match this year. It's right up there for me as MOTY, maybe only a few are better worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the Chicago match, I imagine that's the highest you've gone on a WWE/NXT match this year. It's right up there for me as MOTY, maybe only a few are better worldwide.
    It's not saying much since I've watched so little wrestling from 2017, but yeah, Bate/Dunne from TakeOver would be my MOTY.

Sweet Meat

Status

I support and request the other UK matches AND an Oney Lorcan review post. Including his Swann match.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Since we're just a few days away from the one year anniversary of the creation of the WWE UK Title, let's catch up on the defenses since I created this thread...

PART 2

Pete Dunne © vs Johnny Gargano - WWE UK Title - NXT - Nov 22, 2017
    Taped on the night of NXT TakeOver: War Games. The big question about this match is, “Why is Gargano, an American, challenging for the title?” Sure, Gargano is a new opponent, which is nice, but he can’t be the only option. Give me Dunne vs Danny Burch. Burch is in NXT, he’s British, and I’ve been wanting to see more of him. Fuck Gargano. This was truly a story of one great worker and one vastly overrated one. Dunne was great here. Working over the digits on Gargano’s hand with the commentators bringing up how it could impact Gargano’s ability to lock in the Gargano Escape. To Gargano’s credit, he did sell the fingers well, constantly holding them even though Dunne didn’t work on them for too long. After a couple of big spots like the X-Plex on the ring apron and Gargano’s doing a lot of DDTs, Gargano was able to slap on the Gargano Escape. This is where once again Dunne shows his brilliance by spitting out his mouth guard so that he can bite at the previously injured fingers of Gargano. Such a clever way to escape the submission hold. Unfortunately, the discarded mouth guard allowed Gargano to set-up one of my least favorite spots of all of 2017. Once Gargano notices the mouth guard, he picks it up and stares for AGES, acting as if it’s some big deal that Dunne isn’t wearing it. IT’S A FUCKING MOUTH GUARD! IT PROTECTS DUNNE’S TEETH! THAT’S IT! Yet, Gargano sees this as a chance to give a super kick to a kneeling Dunne since apparently Dunne without a mouth guard means the super kick is more effective. To Dunne’s credit, he actually played up that stupid idea by checking his teeth. Not that it matters as Dunne shortly afterward destroys Gargano with the Bitter End to retain the title. I honestly don’t get why people like Gargano. I’ve never dug the dude. I imagine this is my least favorite UK Title match. ***

Pete Dunne © vs Tyler Bate - WWE UK Title - NXT - Dec 20, 2017
    A rematch from my WWE MOTY for 2017. Unfortunately, this fell a little short from being as good. It absolutely wasn’t Bate nor Dunne’s fault either. As expected, they were amazing in this. There was just a couple of things that bugged me and took away from the importance. For starters, the fans. I don’t know if it was that they were poorly mic’d, but the crowd was so quiet for this match. You could often hear a pin drop in the arena, especially in the beginning and end of the match. Here we have a rematch of quite possibly the best match in NXT history, but they seem unaware of this fact. The other problem was the commentators. In the WWE UK division, nothing means more than the Tyler Driver ‘97. Bate used the move to win all four matches in the tournament to win the title in the first place. He used it in all of his successful title defenses to win the match. There had not been a single person, in the WWE, that had kicked out of the Tyler Driver ‘97. In fact, when Bate lost the title to Dunne at NXT TakeOver: Dallas, the key was that Dunne had been able to avoid the move. Hell, in the tag match that set-up this title match, Bate used the Tyler Driver ‘97 to pin Dunne. So when Bate delivered the Tyler Driver f’n ‘97 and Dunne kicked out of one of the most protected finishers of all of 2017 and the commentators just sold it as a normal nearfall, they ruined one of the biggest spots since the creation of the WWE UK division. If there was ever a moment to go fucking apeshit, that was it! You sell that shit as a huge deal. Not only does it add to the story of the match, but suddenly Dunne looks like a megastar that managed to finally be the one who kicked out of it. WWE commentators are awful at picking up on moments that should be sold as a big deal. With those two issues out of the way, this match was fantastic. Dunne was such an evil bastard in this match. I had to literally hold my hand up, blocking my eyesight from seeing his two stomps on Bate’s finger as it was bent against the ring mat. Truly sick. I love it. Dunne’s selling of Bate’s Bob 'n Bang was the best I had seen so far. Dunne just collapsed to really put over the move. Bate showed a ton of heart and a few times in the match reminded everyone that he’s capable of being an amazing high flyer when he chooses to be. There were certainly moments near the end when I felt like Bate should have won the match and the title to end the year on a memorable note. Instead, Dunne managed to hit the Bitter End for a second time and scored another pinfall on Bate. Although I don’t think it’s as good as the TakeOver: Dallas match, it could be considered superior to their UK Title tournament finals. Although I clearly had a couple of problems with the presentation of this match, both Bate and Dunne are two of the best wrestlers in the world and despite their age, they are phenomenal at being able to put on a classic with a story without just being a match of big spots. ****

Pete Dunne © vs Jack Gallagher - WWE UK Title - PROGRESS: Chapter 60
    PROGRESS’s mystery show caps off with an ultra rare WWE UK Title defense against a guy who hasn’t even competed for PROGRESS (Or any British indie) in the UK since he joined the WWE at the launch of 205 Live. The really nice thing about this is that even though Gallagher has already received an UK Title shot, it was against a different champion and it was a very different Gallagher. Vicious heel Gallagher is a real treat. Sometimes with heel turns, you get people playing the same character, except now they scowl a lot, but Gallagher seemed to drastically alter his style. I haven’t seen much of Gallagher though, so I can’t fully know if this is a 100% new style for him. The commentators did a great job summing up this backstory with Gallagher actually beating Dunne in a Cruiserweight Classic qualifying match to begin his journey in the WWE in the first place. Then they were scheduled for a match in NYC earlier in the year, but with a Dunne injury, the match didn’t happen. So even though this did feel a bit like a random match with a non-PROGRESS talent, there’s a reason for it. The longer this went on, the more impressed I became. Gallagher really showed me that he can be more than just a character based wrestler. His running drop kick in the corner and the headbutts were vicious looking. Dunne, of course, was his usual great self. Even catching Gallagher once during a running drop kick in the corner attempt and destroying him with a power bomb. They even apparently did a quick play on their previous match with Gallagher trying to use the ropes to get the unfair victory, similarly to Dunne’s failed feet on the ropes attempt in the CWC qualifying match. The finish was nice with one Bitter End failing so Dunne dropped Gallagher on his head with a Bitter End into a Tombstone for the victory. I actually bought into the idea that Gallagher could win, which I certainly didn’t in his previous title shot against Tyler Bate. A hell of a match even if it seemed as if the crowd got exhausted at the very end. ****

Looking back on this past year, I feel pretty torn on this WWE UK division. On one hand, the matches have been so much fun. It exposed so many new wrestlers to me and even though I've been too busy to watch PROGRESS for a couple of months, the WWE UK division is the reason why I actually care about a wrestling company in 2018. The title defenses have ranged from good to really great. My WWE MOTY is a WWE UK Title match. There's even the fun factor of the title matches being not only on WWE TV, but occasionally being at a different company. So there's certainly variety in allowing the title to not feel so repetitive. At the same time, we're a year on and although there has been some progress (The core four UK wrestlers getting time on NXT TV to keep them relevant, WWE's relationships with PROGRESS and ICW seem to remain strong due to allowing a couple WWE talent to work British indies at special times, ect), but it has also been so slow going. When the title was created, the assumption was that the WWE UK TV show would be following soon behind. Yet, a year later, there's still little clue as to when the TV show will start up. In some ways, that's perhaps a good thing. Once the brand gets up and fully running, the likes of BSS, Wolfgang, and others will likely be far more active in the WWE and won't be appearing on British indies on a regular basis. I'm completely understanding if the WWE UK show isn't ready to start, but I wished we'd get some more WWE Network British specials. The one in May was really fun and it felt like the beginnings of an actual WWE UK brand, rather than just showcasing a WWE UK match on NXT TV. Without a proper brand, the WWE UK Title feels like the very best thing that doesn't actually matter. At this point, it feels as if the WWE UK division was prematurely started way before there was any idea of what's to come. It's poor management. In fairness, the frustration over the slow going launch of the WWE UK brand is solely there because of how interested I am in the division.

GET THESE HANDS

Status
      Country                    England

I didn't think the Takeover Wargames match was anything that good, but I can't agree with you on your opinion on Johnny Gargano, I think he's one of the best in the world, particularly at being a babyface and if you had kept up with both NXT and Progress you probably wouldn't gush over Peter and criticise Gargano as much. Peter really tailed off for me after the Summer. Also, I'm not sure why you have such a problem with an American challenging for the UK title when for decades anyone has been able to challenge for the US title. Sure Brits only was how the title was set up but when they drag their feet like this setting up a division and only regularly use like 4 guys from the tournament, you end up having to look elsewhere for talent. I like Danny Birch but without a shadow of a doubt the Takeover crowd would be hotter for Gargano/Dunne than they would be for Birch/Dunne. The title gave them a reason to put two over stars that were leftover from a Takeover card and put on a nice little warm up match before the show.

I enjoyed Dunne/Bate III and Dunne/Gallagher about the same as you did. Gallagher wrestled a bit closer to how he used to on the UK indies. I died at his prematch promo where he told Peter that he talks the big talk about being Triple H's friend and being in the WWE system but he never sees him at catering for Monday Night Raw and that he should 'mind his fucking language'.

More and more now it looks like the UK tournament was cobbled together quickly to act on ITV's WoS thing and perhaps it's just become so low down on their priorities because ITV couldn't give a crap now about wrestling. I actually lost interest in this division a lot quicker than you did because there's only about 5 guys they ever use, they've already done the big matches they can do, British Strong Style's stock has dropped this past 6 months, there's no clear direction, there's no sign a TV show is ever coming. Meh. I like the idea of the title being something that can be defended at ICW and Progress shows, but beyond that I don't feel like it has any place in WWE.

[Infinite Warfare]

Status
      Country                    UK

“Why is Gargano, an American, challenging for the title?”
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought this I get the reasoning for it, but it takes away the uniqueness & y'know, the point of it. Non-UKers going after it makes it just another title in the company.

More and more now it looks like the UK tournament was cobbled together quickly to act on ITV's WoS thing and perhaps it's just become so low down on their priorities because ITV couldn't give a crap now about wrestling.
    You mean like some of us said it was a year ago when this all started?

The UK title has a special place in my heart, but I wouldn't shed a tear if it was dropped tomorrow & the UK guys signed were moved onto NXT or 205 Live full time instead.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Thread Information