Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WWE UK Championship Title Defenses Review

Re: WWE UK Championship Title Defenses Review

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I didn't think the Takeover Wargames match was anything that good, but I can't agree with you on your opinion on Johnny Gargano, I think he's one of the best in the world, particularly at being a babyface and if you had kept up with both NXT and Progress you probably wouldn't gush over Peter and criticise Gargano as much. Peter really tailed off for me after the Summer. Also, I'm not sure why you have such a problem with an American challenging for the UK title when for decades anyone has been able to challenge for the US title. Sure Brits only was how the title was set up but when they drag their feet like this setting up a division and only regularly use like 4 guys from the tournament, you end up having to look elsewhere for talent. I like Danny Birch but without a shadow of a doubt the Takeover crowd would be hotter for Gargano/Dunne than they would be for Birch/Dunne. The title gave them a reason to put two over stars that were leftover from a Takeover card and put on a nice little warm up match before the show.
    The WWE UK Title isn't a typical WWE Title though. It's not the same thing as Cesaro, Sheamus, or Kevin Owens challenging for the WWE US Title. This title is supposed to represent the eventual creation of a brand filled with UK talent. The best way I can compare it is that after TJP won the CWC and was Cruiserweight Champion prior to the launch of 205 Live and had he defended the title against...The Big Show or anyone else clearly over 205 pounds. This is supposed to be something special. The moment you allow just anyone to challenge for the title, is the moment that specialness is gone. Look at Tyler Bate. His first appearance after winning the WWE UK Title tournament was on NXT against Oney Lorcan, which is an awesome looking match that I really need to get around to watching. Even though he was champion and the match looked great, it wasn't a title match since Lorcan isn't from the UK and thus makes him challenging for the title go against the whole purpose of the belt. If you want to run Dunne vs Gargano, that's fine. It's certainly a big enough match for the NXT audience, but it shouldn't be a title match.

I'll never be a Gargano fan though. I'll fully admit that he seems to be a standout babyface in NXT, but generally speaking, his matches aren't nearly as entertaining to me as they are to the vast majority of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    The UK title has a special place in my heart, but I wouldn't shed a tear if it was dropped tomorrow & the UK guys signed were moved onto NXT or 205 Live full time instead.
    If the WWE UK brand/show isn't going to be a thing, they'll probably be better off building up to a big title unification match on a future NXT TakeOver between the UK Champion and the NXT Champion while the UK Title still means anything.

PART 3

Pete Dunne © vs Joseph Conners - WWE UK Title - PROGRESS: Chapter 61
    Ah yes, everyone’s favorite Brit wrestler, Conners. Despite everyone hating his guts, I’ve yet to see a single bad match from the guy, in my limited experience. Here is another good one, the best even. The really fun thing about this match is that it’s unlike any other Dunne title defense. For the first time, Dunne is the clear babyface. As a face, Dunne reminds me of Eddie Guerrero where he may no longer be a heel, but he’s still completely cool with cheating. This also didn’t feel like a match, but rather a fight, as if there’s some legit heat between the two. A chair was used often in the first half and Conners seemed to relish in trying to not only hurt Dunne, but to take his title. Also for the first time that I can remember, someone ended up hitting the Pedigree on Dunne. Unlike some of the best matches of the UK Title, I never once felt Conners was going to win. Conners reminds me some of a pre-title win Mick Foley. You know he’s not going to win the title, but he brings a rough and aggressive style that the champion isn’t used to performing. Dunne would win following the Better End on the outside and then following that up with the Bitter End in the ring for the three count. Really good stuff. *** ¾

Pete Dunne © vs Roderick Strong - WWE UK Title - NXT - February 14, 2018
    Oh, wow. This episode of NXT is either elsewhere besides Full Sail or they’ve changed how they set everyone up with the ring being at a diagonal from the entrance. It reminds me of the layout the WWE would have when they ran house shows at the LA Sports Arena in the late 80s. Actually, getting a better view of how everything is set up, was this taped at Center Stage where WCW used to run shows? As it turns out, all I needed to do was wait for the match to continue after the first commercial break as the commentators brought up the fact that it was Center Stage. I dig the look for NXT. What I don’t dig were the commercial breaks. Why do I have to watch commercials, during matches, promoting the WWE Network, when I’m watching on the WWE Network?! Fuck off with the commercials! I get it, I’m sure NXT still airs outside of the WWE Network (Hulu? Maybe regular TV channels outside of America?) where commercials will have to interrupt the match, but there’s zero reason to keep any commercials in the middle of matches. Just go to commercial break by fading to black and immediately come back. The absolute worst being when they interrupt Kick Off matches to advertise the PPV...that you’re already watching. This was a physical match up that had me pretty impressed with Strong. As I’ve been watching a lot of Dunne over the course of the last six months, I’ve begun to realize that his digits work doesn’t have much of a purpose other than one cringe to react to the snapping of the fingers. Yet, Strong did an amazing job here by selling his fingers several times after the initial spot. If that wasn’t nice enough, they even set up the finish with Dunne going after the fingers yet again, causing Strong to go to the outside, which led to his downfall of being caught climbing back into the ring, where he was quickly beaten with the Bitter End. If this wasn’t just a NXT TV match, I imagine it would have been a lot better though. With how the WWE is treating the UK Title, Strong was a very believable threat to Dunne’s title. *** ½

Pete Dunne © vs Zack Gibson - WWE UK Title - FSW - FutureShock UnderGround #25
    Up until this match was announced last month, I had never even heard of FutureShock Wrestling. I’ve quite liked what I’ve seen of Zack Gibson thus far in my Brit wrestling watching. Gibson seems to be one of the main stars in FutureShock, having held the FSU Title three times, including as recently as 2017. Although this is only Dunne’s third time in FSU, he’s already been FSU Adrenaline Champion. Whatever the hell that belt is supposed to mean. This was great. I expected it to at least be good, but it really over delivered. Early on, there’s some fun digit work by both men. The commentators are doing a swell job at emphasizing the fact that Gibson’s main move is his arm based submission hold - the Shankly Gates. From there, we get some brawling on the outside including a memorable spot where Dunne kidnaps a young child and rams the child shoes first into Gibson’s face. Without question, the biggest strength comes from the fact that it’s Gibson in FutureShock. There has never been an UK Title defense where a new champion was as unlikely as this match. Despite his great talent, Gibson has never worked for the WWE in any of their UK partnerships. Yet, the longer this match went on and the high emphasis on big moves, I was actually buying into the massive upset. Gibson kicked out of The Bitter End and the Pedigree. He kept having all of this luck with his version of the Codebreaker, multiple times delivering the move to get the best of Dunne. Dunne attempted to steal Gibson’s Shankly Gates, but Gibson got a nearfall after hitting The Bitter End. Both men got in low blows and Gibson looked to have the match won with the Shankly Gates with Dunne seemingly passed out, but Dunne woke up in time. I do think the match would have benefited a little from more story instead of focusing so heavily on the craziness. Ultimately though, it’s Dunne dusting off the Better End tombstone that finally manages to beat Gibson. Since Dunne is just a special attraction for FutureShock and likely won’t be able to compete there many more times, hell, maybe this will be his final match, they went out there and just tried putting on a match that would have people talking. **** ¼

After the match, Dunne got on the mic and admitted that while he’s unsure if the WWE UK brand is still going to happen or not, but if they do, he believes Gibson should be included on it. Dunne offers his hand in a sign of respect and Gibson teases shaking it, but instead ditches Dunne. Gibson is a superb heel. For the sheer hell of it, Dunne attacks the referee.

Pete Dunne © vs Adam Cole w/Undisputed - WWE UK Title - NXT - March 14, 2018
    It’s a rare experience for Dunne being outnumbered in a match. Both Fish and O’Reilly were at ringside for the entire match and constantly either interfered or just tried distracting the champion. All of this nonsense did keep me from being too entertained by the match. It certainly didn’t help matters that my nemesis, the commercial break, reared its ugly head again. Fuck that guy. The other problem is that at nine minutes long, it may just be the shortest WWE UK Title match I’ve covered in this thread. This title tends to be defended in great matches, but this was just some random match that didn’t go ten minutes and featured the lame finish of Fish attacking Dunne to cause the DQ. This match felt like nothing more than a set-up to the post-match event. After the match, Undisputed triple teamed Dunne until Roddy Strong ran out for the save. This is where the WWE commentators once again show how shit they are at their job. This SAME exact scene happened some months ago after a Dunne title defense against Wolfgang, but Dunne opted not to help the guy who saved him. Yet, here, showing respect to Strong, Dunne doesn’t just grab his title and leave Strong to be destroyed by Undisputed. He instead joins the fight and he and Strong fight off the trio. THIS WAS A MASSIVE THING AND THE COMMENTATORS DIDN’T PICK UP ON IT! I’m begging these shit WWE commentators to pay attention and pick up on the little things. As an angle to set up a potential alliance between Dunne and Strong, this was a success. As a good UK Title defense, it was a disappointment. ** ¾

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Some live perspective to that first match:

Yeah, people fucking HATE Connors. It seemed like he came into PROGRESS purely because he was a WWE guy, so there was a genuine fear he was gonna win the belt.

And it was a fun match for sure, but from my perspective at the time it was more down to Dunne than anything. But I haven't rewatched it on tape so I dunno.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Some live perspective to that first match:

Yeah, people fucking HATE Connors. It seemed like he came into PROGRESS purely because he was a WWE guy, so there was a genuine fear he was gonna win the belt.

And it was a fun match for sure, but from my perspective at the time it was more down to Dunne than anything. But I haven't rewatched it on tape so I dunno.
    I don't get the hate for the guy at all. Admittedly, it may just be because I've seen like...4 matches from the guy, but each one was good. It seems as if everyone has this really shit opinion on the guy, but the guy is fine to me. He's not the best of the WWE UK guys, but he's certainly not among the least interesting either.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

I think the Connors hate stems from it was quite clear the WWE liked him and had him in like their top 6 UK guys from the tournament, and if you're a fan of British wrestling there is no way you would have Connors anywhere near that high or want him as a representative of the scene because he's pretty damn bland.

Zack Gibson is a terrific heel, one of the best pure ones in the world and probably would of been involved in the UK tournament if he wasn't in bed with ITV/WoS

I very much enjoyed Dunne/Roddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Zack Gibson is a terrific heel, one of the best pure ones in the world and probably would of been involved in the UK tournament if he wasn't in bed with ITV/WoS
    Oh, that's right. The UK Title tournament was a direct result of World of Sport seemingly returning to the UK. What was the result of that? I'm pretty sure it was a bigger non-happening than the WWE UK brand, but how many shows did they run?

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oh, that's right. The UK Title tournament was a direct result of World of Sport seemingly returning to the UK. What was the result of that? I'm pretty sure it was a bigger non-happening than the WWE UK brand, but how many shows did they run?
    1 the New Years Eve special where Grado won the title. They got into bed with TNA/Impact/GFW apparently and a short series of episodes was supposed to happen and then never did. Think that one is dead now.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Pete Dunne © vs Zack Gibson - WWE UK Title - FSW - FutureShock UnderGround #25
    Up until this match was announced last month, I had never even heard of FutureShock Wrestling. I’ve quite liked what I’ve seen of Zack Gibson thus far in my Brit wrestling watching. Gibson seems to be one of the main stars in FutureShock, having held the FSU Title three times, including as recently as 2017. Although this is only Dunne’s third time in FSU, he’s already been FSU Adrenaline Champion. Whatever the hell that belt is supposed to mean. This was great. I expected it to at least be good, but it really over delivered. Early on, there’s some fun digit work by both men. The commentators are doing a swell job at emphasizing the fact that Gibson’s main move is his arm based submission hold - the Shankly Gates. From there, we get some brawling on the outside including a memorable spot where Dunne kidnaps a young child and rams the child shoes first into Gibson’s face. Without question, the biggest strength comes from the fact that it’s Gibson in FutureShock. There has never been an UK Title defense where a new champion was as unlikely as this match. Despite his great talent, Gibson has never worked for the WWE in any of their UK partnerships. Yet, the longer this match went on and the high emphasis on big moves, I was actually buying into the massive upset. Gibson kicked out of The Bitter End and the Pedigree. He kept having all of this luck with his version of the Codebreaker, multiple times delivering the move to get the best of Dunne. Dunne attempted to steal Gibson’s Shankly Gates, but Gibson got a nearfall after hitting The Bitter End. Both men got in low blows and Gibson looked to have the match won with the Shankly Gates with Dunne seemingly passed out, but Dunne woke up in time. I do think the match would have benefited a little from more story instead of focusing so heavily on the craziness. Ultimately though, it’s Dunne dusting off the Better End tombstone that finally manages to beat Gibson. Since Dunne is just a special attraction for FutureShock and likely won’t be able to compete there many more times, hell, maybe this will be his final match, they went out there and just tried putting on a match that would have people talking. **** ¼

After the match, Dunne got on the mic and admitted that while he’s unsure if the WWE UK brand is still going to happen or not, but if they do, he believes Gibson should be included on it. Dunne offers his hand in a sign of respect and Gibson teases shaking it, but instead ditches Dunne. Gibson is a superb heel. For the sheer hell of it, Dunne attacks the referee.
    Hey! I was in the crowd for that match. It was ace! Despite FutureShock running shows within walking distance of my house, I'd never been to one before but the prospect of Dunne vs. Gibson was too tasty to ignore. The whole show was really enjoyable and that main event was the icing on the cake really. That gif you've got is great, that kid was not up for being used as a weapon at all, his mate seemed a more likely candidate from where I was stood and the angle in the gif shows he certainly thought the whole thing was hilarious at least.

Sweet Meat

Status

If JC ever becomes good I'll give him credit. Right now he's a shorter skinny Leo Kruger.

Ta ta.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Zach Gibson rules.

It’s not Dunne’s strongest defense obviously but I actually quite liked that match with Cole, even with the finish.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by JT Grizzle View Post
    Hey! I was in the crowd for that match. It was ace! Despite FutureShock running shows within walking distance of my house, I'd never been to one before but the prospect of Dunne vs. Gibson was too tasty to ignore. The whole show was really enjoyable and that main event was the icing on the cake really. That gif you've got is great, that kid was not up for being used as a weapon at all, his mate seemed a more likely candidate from where I was stood and the angle in the gif shows he certainly thought the whole thing was hilarious at least.
    The fact that the kid was so unwilling made it all the better as it looked as if Dunne was just kidnapping the poor kid.

I could use some recommendations for FutureShock matches to watch. Since I couldn't find the show/match through any other means, I ended up paying some money to get the show from the company's Vimeo account. For literally 20 cents more, I was able to get a month long subscription to their full service rather than have access to that one show for a month.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

The fact that the kid was so unwilling made it all the better as it looked as if Dunne was just kidnapping the poor kid.

I could use some recommendations for FutureShock matches to watch. Since I couldn't find the show/match through any other means, I ended up paying some money to get the show from the company's Vimeo account. For literally 20 cents more, I was able to get a month long subscription to their full service rather than have access to that one show for a month.
    I couldn't help you there man, like I said, that right there was my first show of theirs and I'm yet to go to my second... but that was a fun show on the whole and I'd recommend giving it all a watch if you haven't already. I do know a couple of people who regularly attend the FutureShock shows so I'll see if they've got any recommendations for you.

Thread Information