Thread: WWE Survivor Series 2009 Review

Olympic Hero Smod

Status
      Country                    England

Survivor Series WWE Survivor Series 2009 Review

Survivor Series – November 22, 2009

Survivor Series 2009 would be headlined by two triple threat matches for the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Title. The Undertaker would defend the World Title against Chris Jericho and the Big Show who were tag team partners and John Cena would defend the WWE Championship against Triple H and Shawn Michaels – both members of DX. There were also a couple of Traditional Survivor Series matches and a grudge match between Batista and Rey Mysterio. So without further ado here goes my review.

DARK MATCH: Santino Marella def. Chavo Guerrero

Team Miz (The Miz ©, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, Drew McIntyre & Sheamus) vs. Team Morrison (John Morrison ©, Evan Bourne, Finlay, Matt Hardy & Shelton Benjamin)
    Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Match

The first man eliminated was Dolph Ziggler after a beautiful Shooting Star Press from Evan Bourne. But immediately after Drew McIntyre came in and got rid of the entertaining cruiserweight with his Future Shock DDT. That led to Finlay and McIntyre going at it who had been involved in a heated rivalry. McIntyre would quickly tag out to Sheamus and we would get a quick altercation between the two men from Ireland. Sheamus would get the better of it and connect with a Brogue Kick to eliminate Finlay and give his team the advantage. There was a bit of a holding pattern for the next few minutes until things broke down and Morrison would come in for the first time getting rid of Swagger with Starship Pain. That would level the teams at three wrestlers each. The Miz would get the next elimination thanks to Sheamus shoulder thrusting Shelton Benjamin behind the referee’s so Miz could hit the Skull Crushing Finale for the three count. It was similar news for the elimination of Matt Hardy when Sheamus distracted him while he was on the top rope. That allowed McIntyre to avoid a moonsault attempt and take Hardy out of the match with the Future Shock. That made it 3 on 1 with Morrison forced to face McIntyre, Sheamus and The Miz. Morrison had little chance and in the end Sheamus secured the win with a High Cross. The sole survivors were Sheamus, McIntyre and The Miz. I’m a sucker for Survivor Series Elimination matches and I enjoyed this. Interesting that six of the 10 involved in this match are still with or have come back to WWE. There was a lot of hype during this match about these men being the future and it came to fruition sort of. Shame about Bourne and Morrison. Fun opener.

***1/2

We go backstage and get a segment with Christian and all of his team-mates in the Traditional Survivor Series match later in the evening. Christian is the only white guy on the team and alludes to it a number of times before saying he feels different because he is on the ECW brand and that he is Canadian. Christian would go on to rap after being encouraged by R-Truth and play into the fact he was the only white guy. Comedy segment which didn’t hit the mark for me despite it being Christian who was usually perfect in these sort of segments.

Rey Mysterio vs. Batista

With the show in Washington DC, Batista was always going to get a huge reaction despite being the heel in this feud between the two ‘best friends’ who had even been former WWE Tag Team Champions before. Rey put up a good fight in the match hitting a 619 to the kidneys and then the sternum before the more conventional one to the face but then his frog splash in homage to Eddie Guerrero was met with the knees of Batista. The Animal would then connect with a Spear, spinebuster and three Batista Bombs before the referee declared Mysterio was unable to continue and handed Batista the win. But the Animal wasn’t done. After the match he brought a chair into the ring and sat on it over Mysterio. He would fold up the chair and place it on the canvas before delivering a huge spinebuster to make his point. Man did I love heel Batista and I really dug this fast-paced match even if it was short. Mysterio was strapped to a stretcher after the match to add gravitas to Batista’s demolition.

Team Orton (CM Punk, William Regal, Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase & Randy Orton) vs. Team Kingston (Kofi Kingston, MVP, Mark Henry, Christian & R-Truth)

Mark Henry convinces Kofi Kingston that he should start the match with Randy Orton. Henry takes out the entire other team but after that Legacy distract Henry and Orton hits and RKO out of nowhere to score an early elimination in the match. Team Orton would soon have a two-man advantage as CM Punk would end up in the ring with R-Truth and off the distraction from Cody Rhodes he would connect with a GTS for a three count. Christian would do the bidding for his team next and would get rid of Ted DiBiase with a pinning combination which popped the crowd with one of Legacy going out early. Kingston and Regal would go at it which was rather entertaining but then MVP would come in and deliver a huge boot to William Regal for the three count. That would mean MVP, Christian and Kingston would take on Orton, Rhodes and CM Punk. MVP would dominate Rhodes and just as it looked like he was going to get rid of the second member of Legacy, Orton would provide the distraction allowing for Cross Rhodes for the elimination. Christian would get some retribution though hitting the Killswitch on Cody to keep the numbers even. Captain Charisma would dominate and hit the Killswitch on Orton but CM Punk would break up the pin attempt. Christian would turn his attention to the Straight Edge Saviour and that would prove an error as when he returned to Orton he was caught with an RKO for the one, two, three. The story from this point on I really liked. Randy wanted nothing to do with Kofi and instead Kingston faced off with Punk for the next few minutes. Orton would try and distract Kofi but he would roll through a roll up attempt and score the pinfall on Punk and nail Orton with Trouble in Paradise straight after for two quickfire eliminations to win the match. Big moment for Kofi Kingston and an entertaining match for sure.

***1/2

Chris Jericho vs. Big Show vs. The Undertaker ©
    Triple Threat Match
    WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

This match took an age to get going unfortunately and I didn’t think the three of them really clicked throughout. There were also not many spots I was impressed with to be honest. There were a lot of finishers and one-on-one sequences and I struggled to ever get excited. Jericho nailing Big Show with the title belt was probably the story with JeriShow imploding. Big Show would get his revenge after a Code Breaker attempt with the WMD taking out Y2J. Undertaker would reverse a Chokeslam attempt into the Hell’s Gate submission and Show would be forced to tap out as Undertaker retained the World Heavyweight Championship. Certainly not as good as what I anticipated and I am sure the three of these guys could have put on a much better match than what they did here.

**3/4

Team McCool (Michelle McCool ©, Layla, Beth Phoenix, Alicia Fox & Jillian Hall) vs. Team Mickie (Mickie James, Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly, Eve Torres & Melina ©)

Kelly Kelly scores the first elimination with a unique leg drop on Layla. McCool gets rid of Gail Kim with the Faith Breaker otherwise known as the Styles Clash. Eve would take out Jillian with a top rope sunset flip but would soon be taken out herself by Beth Phoenix with the Glam Slam. Phoenix would repeat her dominance delivering another Glam Slam to Kelly Kelly which would bring Mickie James into the match. Mickie would eliminate Phoenix with a crucifix pin but Beth would not take it well, attacking James afterwards despite being eliminated from the match. Mickie got rid of Alicia Fox when she connected with a top rope Thesz press and hooked the leg. Melina would end up scoring the win for her team alongside Mickie James when she hit the sunset flip powerbomb on McCool. Not bad but too short to be anything of any note here.

We head backstage to an interview with Batista after a recap of the brutality he inflicted on Rey Mysterio earlier in the night. The Animal simply says he was embarrassed for the Master of the 619 before walking off camera.

Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H vs. John Cena ©
    Triple Threat Match
    WWE CHAMPIONSHIP

This match got off to a flier with Shawn Michaels delivering Sweet Chin Music to Triple H making it clear DX will not be working together with the WWE Title on the line. Cena and Michaels would fight for a few minutes with the two ending up on the outside and Michaels removing the hood of the announce table and the monitors. Cena caught him but before he could AA Michaels through the announce table Triple H was back and stopped it before delivering a spinebuster to HBK through the table! That would result in a period of the match which would see Cena and Triple H going at it one-on-one. Cena would get taken out and we would get the third singles match in the Triple Threat match between HBK and HHH. The two would go back and forth for a while until Cena returned and all three were once again involved in the fight for the title. There were some nice spots with Cena getting both HHH and HBK in the STF and Michaels hitting Sweet Chin Music on Triple H who fell on top of Cena for a two count. The crowd were very into things by this point in the match. In the end Triple H would have Cena in position for a Pedigree only for Michaels to deliver another Sweet Chin Music. Cena would then lift Michaels up and AA HBK onto Triple H before pinning The Game for the win and retaining the WWE Title. Really enjoyable fast-paced match.

***3/4

Overall, Survivor Series 2009 was an enjoyable show with very little bad but also no MOTY candidate on the show. The main event triple threat match was fun and the Survivor Series matches are always fun if you like the gimmick as I do. Batista vs. Rey Mysterio also provided a fun undercard match with the only real disappointment the triple threat match for the World Heavyweight Title with Undertaker, Big Show and Chris Jericho failing to mesh with their styles.

When the black man talkin

Status

Re: WWE Survivor Series 2009 Review

Good show. Batista vs Rey is one of my favourite squash matches ever that doesn't have Goldberg in it.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

It's a solid show where there's nothing really bad, just nothing really good either. Although the Christian rap is awesome!

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

That Christian segment is probably one of the better comedy group segments in WWE history.

Not a bad Survivor Series. It's a shame one of the few Undertaker/Jericho interactions all came around this time where Jericho was starting to decline as an in ring guy.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

When the black man talkin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    That Christian segment is probably one of the better comedy group segments in WWE history.

Not a bad Survivor Series. It's a shame one of the few Undertaker/Jericho interactions all came around this time where Jericho was starting to decline as an in ring guy.
    Undertaker and Jericho had really good chemistry though at this time. Their Elimination Chamber finale was fantastic in 2010, and their SmackDown match was good.

If they had wrestled in 2007-2008 it'd have been amazing

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

The Smackdown match was okay, wouldn't say it was as memorable as it should have been.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Thread Information