Thread: Do Heels/Faces Exist Anymore?

On Vacation

Status

Do Heels/Faces Exist Anymore?

Hey everyone!

I was watching the Cena/Reigns promo and some Braun Strowman stuff and it really hit me - heels/faces don't seem to exist anymore. I mean, we get Enzo Amore (aligned face) interrupting The Miz (aligned heel) during a genuine moment, and then Enzo insults Miz and Maryse, and Enzo is cheered. What Enzo did is completely heel like, yet he was cheered. Braun seems to be aligned as a heel, yet gets cheered like crazy. Reigns is supposed to be a face, yet gets booed and is treated like the heel against Cena (even though it seems like he's booked like the "underdog"?) The Fashion Police are supposed to be heels, yet get cheered. It seems all over.

Do you think in this modern age of social media (and tweets of wrestlers feuding in pictures together as friends) that heels/faces exist anymore?

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: Do Heels/Faces Exist Anymore?

The fashion police aren't heels.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

I was a highwayman

Status
      Country                    United States

Current crowds I believe are the blame for this. Since about 06 or so crowds got worst and worst and also why I mute my tv when watching wwe dvd's.

It's not like reigns or cena are heels the crowd just hate them for whatever reasons.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore Iceman View Post
    Current crowds I believe are the blame for this. Since about 06 or so crowds got worst and worst and also why I mute my tv when watching wwe dvd's.

It's not like reigns or cena are heels the crowd just hate them for whatever reasons.

You sit in silence watching dvds?

I only watch wwe wrestling pre 2007. This blurring happened before 2006. Rock has cut heelish promos and was cheered.

But it's refreshing hearing crowds cheer faces and boo heels. But it has zero impact on my enjoyment of the shows or matches. Whenever I watch present day wrestling, their is hardly a distinction but does it really matter? When I was young there were heels I liked. I loved Ted DiBiase as a kid.

Wrestling has evolved and changed...so have fans.

In some ways..I think heels get cheered( and faces lean to more heelish characteristics) because some or even many fans want to experience being the bad guy. Since you shouldnt do it in real life they cheer them on through wrestling. I don't blame faces for being in the middle. Baby faces can come off very bland and forced

Same as picking the darker path in rpgs or robbing cars and banks , killing civilians or cops in Grand Theft Auto..
    Last edited by indyfan; 09-14-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

It's a mix of two things.

One, it's a little bit the crowd. They can be abnoxuous these days and should just stfu and enjoy it.

On the other hand, the only reason heels get cheered more is because they are written better. They are easier to write.

Babyfaces mare naturally harder to write, and writes them like unrealistic doofuses. Roman Reigns is a doofus. Even when they try to write him edgy, he sounds like a forced doofus.

Cena used to be written dull. Then he learned how to work the crowd. How to deliver his lines his way. Now they try to boo him and it doesn't work.

If the writers put good shit out the fans might pay attention.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Reigns Fan View Post
    Hey everyone!

I was watching the Cena/Reigns promo and some Braun Strowman stuff and it really hit me - heels/faces don't seem to exist anymore. I mean, we get Enzo Amore (aligned face) interrupting The Miz (aligned heel) during a genuine moment, and then Enzo insults Miz and Maryse, and Enzo is cheered. What Enzo did is completely heel like, yet he was cheered. Braun seems to be aligned as a heel, yet gets cheered like crazy. Reigns is supposed to be a face, yet gets booed and is treated like the heel against Cena (even though it seems like he's booked like the "underdog"?) The Fashion Police are supposed to be heels, yet get cheered. It seems all over.

Do you think in this modern age of social media (and tweets of wrestlers feuding in pictures together as friends) that heels/faces exist anymore?
    Okay, gimme a sec here...

Enzo is in the midst of a heel turn. At least that's how I've been interpreting his recent behaviour... although I should also point out that his current gimmick is basically the Jersey Shore version of Eddie Guerrero's "Lie, Cheat, Steal" era; which was all about outsmarting the heels at their own game. That fact he robbed super-face, Cedric Alexander of a clean-sweep win in the five-way last week does suggest this is leading to an eventual heel turn to me though. They're just slow-burning it because he is so loved by the majority of fans.

Braun and Roman are tweeners. Neither has been clear-cut face/heel for a while but Braun transitioned closer to face and Roman transitioned closer to heel on the same night, at Great Balls of Fire; you can't attempt to murder a man and still be a babyface and WWE book Roman as mostly unstoppable but he's not a face anymore, not even in the bookings eyes.

The Fashion Police haven't been heels for ages, dude. What show are you watching that they're heels on?

From my perspective, this current era of wrestling is being dominated by tweeners and there's plenty of different reasons for this. First, we all know it's a work now, so the guys we respect as good works still get positive reactions even if they're supposed to be heels because sometimes you've just gotta show them love and a lot of people either don't get that heels want boo's, they don't think about that, or they don't care. Same goes for faces that people don't see as good workers (see Cena and Reigns and that segment of the fanbase that can't wrap their head around the fact that both men are actually very good and look the way Vince likes his guys to look - it doesn't computer for those fans for whatever reason) and I can't really blame the crowds entirely either because Vince helped foster this attitude towards wrestling and this is it biting him on the ass.

Another contributing factor is stuff like the rise of social media and the second by second way in which people can access information and keep up to date on their favourite celebrities and such. Add to that the rise of MMA and the idea that the best fighter in the world isn't necessarily the nicest person but is still deserving of respect as an athlete and a fighter (which was also true of boxing forever but didn't influence wrestling as much because there's always been a disconnect between the two because they don't actually look all that similar) it's made people look at guys like Owens - as a for instance - and see this interesting character who fights to give his family the best life possible and will do whatever it takes to ensure that the outcome, but he also happens to be great in ring (most of the time - to be fair, he's not been killing it lately) so the evil man that cheats to win and betray's everyone if it means more money and a higher spot on the card becomes a guy just doing right by his family... makes him hard to boo, y'know?

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I would Heels and Faces exist in Wrestling still yup. The problem is some talent don't know how to be a Babyface or a Heel in the right way to get their point across for people to believe in what they are doing vs the other side. Oh hey let me throw my hands and I'm better than you because I'm from another Country that's all you got? Example Mahal vs Owens, who's the better Heel? Owens Tuesday Night showed he's one of the best at it, and has been since getting involved with Shane and the McMahon family. Owens kicking the crap outta Vince between the Headbutt and Frog Splash was great in itself, but people forget it's what Owens said on the microphone lately has been really happy where he's going.

Mahal on the other hand is going no where fast and his character work is off and he hasn't prove to me that he is a World Champion. If he knew how to work as a heel it might get people invested in him, but he comes off like a goof and really nothing he does is sticking to the Wall right now.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Cheese!

Status

Of course. Things might be a little bit blurred at times because of Roman and Cena. Relentlessly super pushing the two guys who get the most heat on the whole roster as babyfaces will do that. It also prompts fans to cheer for heels like KO, Miz, Edge, etc. But there are still good guys and still bad guys. Just the reactions aren't as they should be because WWE refuse to push their chosen FOTC's as anything other than babyfaces.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    United States

They exist in-booking, but not for the fans.

I think it comes down to modern day fans wanting the anti-hero era to return. Many fans want to cheer the hottest act rather than what the company writes. It's a different era from when fans were an audience for the product rather than trying to cherry pick their favorites and cheer for them. Most fans cheered for who did the right thing, and boo'd the cheaters and liars. Nowadays, most fans cheer for who they think is the most bad-ass and/or unscripted (i.e Braun Strowman and The Miz).

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Heels and faces do exist, but the WWE can't tell the fans who to cheer for, they can't control that. We're living in an era when bad or evil characters in tv are written to be likable. Take Negan from The Walking Dead as an example, of King Joffrey from Game of Thrones. Both are without question bad guys (heels) but everyone loves them because of how they're written, or 'booked'.

In the same way, Braun Strowman is booked as a heel (though I'd say he's more of a tweener personally), but everyone loves him because he beats the crap out of everyone and everything. Brock Lesnar is 100% a tweener. He doesn't change the way he is based on who he's against whether it's a heel in Samoa Joe or a face like Undertaker. that's a bonafide tweener.

Cena and Reigns are booked as tweeners in their feud too. WWE just want to the crowd to cheer for whoever they want there.

The Fashion Police are face, they're not heels so not sure what to say about that as they've been faces for a while now...

Enzo is a face but he's clearly in the middle of a heel turn. We've seen him win matches using shortcuts like grabbing tights and so on.

It's getting increasingly difficult to book defined heel and face characters in todays WWE because of how they now the crowd is going to react. but you do still have defined good and bad guys. Samoa Joe for example is definitely a bad guy. Jinder Mahal is definitely a bad guy. Neville is a bad guy. On the flip side Finn Balor is a good guy, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose are good guys.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Bryan Danielson was booked as a babyface and got a babyface reaction. It moreso just depends on what their natural persona is like. The reason Reigns gets booed is because people can’t buy him as the white meat babyface the WWE tries to portray him as. The guy just has a natural heel like arrogance about him and even when he tries to come off trash talking wise, he just comes off as an arrogant asshole. He would be one of my favorite guys on the roster if they just turned him heel and let that NATURAL heel like persona just come out.

World Championship Wrestling 2001: The "Other Brand"
    -Review 4 Review-

BTB Awards and Recognitions

Spoiler:

#wc4horsemen

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Everyone but Vince knows that Braun should be a baby face and Reigns should be the heel. Duh.

Thread Information