Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let's Talk About Police in America

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Let's Talk About Police in America

Just because it's a "brotherhood" and you "bond with each other" doesn't make what you do more noble or better. It's not like growing together in something somehow legitimizes your actions. Fraternities haze pledges to strengthen "the brotherhood." Doesn't make it right.

Cops are trained to believe they stand on a superior ground to the citizen with whom they are interacting. That can and sometimes does become problematic.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    "Can we come inside and talk" they ask as their foot is already in the door.

But that's not on them. That's on the people to know their rights.
    Horseshit. Not everyone has the education or knowledge to "know their rights." Saying that cops should be allowed to take advantage of citizens' lack of knowledge is unethical — because that's what it is, taking advantage of someone.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Future Endeavoured

Status

Another thing about those videos, is the public has no idea how you interact with criminals.

They'll see a police officer swearing at somebody and think they're aggressive and rude. But there are some types of people who will only respond when you talk to them like that. You're talking in their language. You have to be forceful or else they will not listen. They won't talk to Everyone like that. But they'll talk to a pregnant woman differently than they'll talk to a young punk kid from the street.

And people don't want to understand that. But police have to show force, otherwise they will be walked all over on. The hard part is knowing how much force is needed and when.

Unreconstructed

Status

So basically you say Cops coerce and intimidate people to give up their constitutional rights and that is not a problem.

You say in fact it is the people's fault for not knowing enough about constitutional rights and standing up to a bunch of thugs with guns and the ability to ruin their lives.

Sounds reasonable.

You spoke of community policing before but what you condone here sure isn't community policing. Community policing is getting to know the community. Humanizing the Police. Showing the public that they are not always out to get them. Showing the public they have nothing to fear from the Police.

There is absolutely never an excuse for a Policeman to be rude to a citizen first. Ever. That is not what they are there for. They are there to enforce the law and protect and serve the public.

That outlook has gone by the wayside now though. Cops are often rude to citizens for no reason.

That is a problem and if you cannot admit that you are part of the problem.

You speak of an 'Us. vs. Them' mentality. Cops are doing more to put that in place than citizens.

I support the Police and I don't condone any type of violence toward them. However if you expect me to respect someone just because they are wearing a badge then you are sadly mistaken. They have to earn that respect just like anyone else. They actually should be held to a much higher standard than anyone else by just putting that badge on.

You keep saying the majority of Policeman are not part of the problem. I very much disagree. I think the good ones are in the minority. That is something we must endeavor to change if we have any hope of ending this 'Us. vs. Them' mentality and make it much safer for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rhyno View Post
    When isolated Youtube videos are your standard of proof, you're on shaky ground.
    Yeah because I said that was my whole standard of proof.
    Last edited by Stonewall Dakson; 09-12-2017 at 07:35 PM.

This is the way we do it down South
    So shut your mouth or get the fuck out
    Cause motherfucker I'm on the warpath
    And my Confederate foot is gonna kick your ass

Rebel Son, Warpath

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I guess its a better standard than "When I had a job, they said we should do it one way, but then they did it another....I imagine being cop is just like that."

Point taken.

Unreconstructed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by White Rhyno View Post
    I guess its a better standard than "When I had a job, they said we should do it one way, but then they did it another....I imagine being cop is just like that."

Point taken.
    Once again, that is exactly what I said.

What I ACTUALLY said was I based my opinion on personal interactions with Police, the interaction of trusted friends and family with Police, what I experienced seeing Police in my job as a Correctional Officer and knowing some inside info the public are not necessarily privy to because of my position, videos on youtube documenting interactions with Police, and news stories etc...

But I guess that is an inconvenient truth to you.

Not that it matters but I have a Bachelors degree in CJ as well. I have read and studied on the subject moreso than the average Joe Blo it would be safe to say.

This is the way we do it down South
    So shut your mouth or get the fuck out
    Cause motherfucker I'm on the warpath
    And my Confederate foot is gonna kick your ass

Rebel Son, Warpath

Thread Information