Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Police in America

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Let's Talk About Police in America

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    "The Police In America" would make a really great band name.
    Or at the very least a great name for a Police bootleg.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Stephen King Horror Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis

Future Endeavoured

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    I was trying to come up with a snide comment about the direction this discussion has taken and how this isn't really a thread about THAT police when I realized "The Police In America" would make a really great band name.

...carry on.
    It sounds like it'd be a mixtape created by Colin Kaepernick.

Dat Boi

Status
      Country                    United States

"One bad apple spoils the bunch" my ass. The entire fucking barrel is rotten. Cops are trained poorly, trained to murder first, and the amount of documented police violence is staggering. By downplaying it with the legal equivalent of "Boys will be boys", you normalize the situation and waive the abusers, robbers, and murderers that hide behind a badge of any responsibility for their actions. Eat my fucking smegma, "One Bad Apple."

Uhh...

I always preferred Genesis over The Police, anyhow.

Future Endeavoured

Status

Yeah Silk, I told you I was just getting in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Crippler View Post
    "One bad apple spoils the bunch" my ass. The entire fucking barrel is rotten. Cops are trained poorly, trained to murder first, and the amount of documented police violence is staggering. By downplaying it with the legal equivalent of "Boys will be boys", you normalize the situation and waive the abusers, robbers, and murderers that hide behind a badge of any responsibility for their actions. Eat my fucking smegma, "One Bad Apple."

Uhh...

How do you like the Giants AND the Patriots?

Also, hope you never need help. But if you do one of those dirty corrupt cops who are all bad and evil will be there for you.

Do me one favor at least, just one if you want to keep sprouting that opinion of yours.

Go to odmp.org

Spend, I don't know five minutes of your so very important and highly ethical day where you just live your life as an awesome person in spite of the strong scrutiny and brutality from every single one of those evil corrupt cops who would take a bullet for you. And if you do go to that page you'd find that last statement isn't an exaggeration.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Here we have an example of two extremes. One who cant see good and one who cant see bad. Gg.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Here we have an example of two extremes. One who cant see good and one who cant see bad. Gg.
    And that pretty much defines America as a whole right now. While I don't believe all topics have a middle solution, there are many that would be better if both sides at least attempted to understand the other. Though I admit, I'm a hypocrite in some ways as I feel a lot of topics, especially in regards to civil rights and human rights, don't necessary have a middle ground. Though, I guess that depends on the extremists point of views.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Future Endeavoured

Status

I said in my post that this cop was in the wrong. That he needed to go about it a different way and he did not

I won't blindly defend LEO at every turn, but when someone tries to say all cops are evil, I have to go off.

Unreconstructed

Status

This is my take on Police in America.

First, let me say that I was a Criminal Justice major in college like Sully. I worked as a Correctional Officer for 2 years. While that necessarily isn't 'Police' I got to work closely with Police at time when they brought people to jail.

Here is my take, but keep in mind Sully this does not represent ALL Policeman but I believe a majority of them.

We have a fundamental problem with the training of Police in America. They are far too aggressive, and they are completely disrespectful to the public.

They also take things personally which they should not.

Ok some examples of why I feel this way.

I know someone who once got a speeding ticket and they decided to challenge it in court which is their right to do. Well the Policeman in turn decided to drop the charges against him and bring a more serious charge against him. When asked in front of the Judge in court why he did this he said, "Because you challenged the ticket.". That is a classic example of retaliatory action and it is supposed to be illegal. Of course the Judge did nothing about it even though he admitted in open court to doing it. That is the kind of attitude most Cops have and it is how they are trained. "HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE MY AUTHORITY!!!!!! "

They are also basically trained to trick you out of your rights. For example, if they want to search your car they will often coerce their way into doing that. For example:

Cop: "You don't have anything illegal in the car do you"

Citizen: "No"

Cop: "Well you don't care if I take a look then do you"

Citizen: "I'd rather you not search my car"

Cop: "If you don't have anything to hide you shouldn't care"

Citizen "I'd rather you not search my car"

Cop: "Come on this will go a lot faster if you just let me search. Do you want to sit her until a K9 unit can get here?"
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

If you say no that should be it. They shouldn't try to make you feel bad about it, they shouldn't make you think you are going to be sitting for a long time there if you don't, etc...

Also often times they demand ID from everyone in a car when just the driver has been pulled over for committing an offense. Passengers are in no way obligated in most states to provide ID. Unless you have committed a crime or are suspected of committing a crime in most states you DO NOT have to provide ID to Policeman if asked. Many Policeman have been caught lying on this issue and saying you have to provide ID "...anytime an officer asks..." and that is simply not true.

Most do not have your best interest in mind and these are several examples to show that.

I think this is a fundamental issue with training. Also the thin blue line (an unspoken rule among Police that they do not rat on other Officers no matter what they do) is another issue that must be addressed. Another issue is the militarization of Police and this is something that I hate that President Trump supports. Giving humvees and other military equipment to Police. I am uncomfortable by seeing Policeman that resemble soldiers more than Policeman. Might as well just have soldiers patrolling the streets in full gear. Hello authoritarian state.

People once viewed Policeman as protectors. Someone they respected and could go to in times of need.

Now many people view them as thugs and try to avoid them at all costs for fear of having their rights violated....or worse.

If you don't think that is a problem then I don't know what to tell you.

This is the way we do it down South
    So shut your mouth or get the fuck out
    Cause motherfucker I'm on the warpath
    And my Confederate foot is gonna kick your ass

Rebel Son, Warpath

Future Endeavoured

Status

Dak I think your idea that police are far too aggressive and disrespectful to the public is entirely magnified based on media proportions.

There's a whole style of policing called community policing that is designed to be the exact opposite of that. It however works better in smaller towns and counties. Where the police the community know each other. They have conversations, help shovel drive ways, etc.

But in bigger cities I agree that police definitely have a more difficult time interacting positively with the community.

I also believe that better hiring standards need to be adopted by all departments. More and more departments are requiring college degrees. I believe departments should also require volunteer hours prior to or during academy training.

Those are the kinds of changes I think would help the overall attitude of LEO.

Unreconstructed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Dak I think your idea that police are far too aggressive and disrespectful to the public is entirely magnified based on media proportions.

There's a whole style of policing called community policing that is designed to be the exact opposite of that. It however works better in smaller towns and counties. Where the police the community know each other. They have conversations, help shovel drive ways, etc.

But in bigger cities I agree that police definitely have a more difficult time interacting positively with the community.

I also believe that better hiring standards need to be adopted by all departments. More and more departments are requiring college degrees. I believe departments should also require volunteer hours prior to or during academy training.

Those are the kinds of changes I think would help the overall attitude of LEO.
    I agree with some of your ideas.

My opinion however was formed through personal experiences, accounts from trusted friends and families, and some from videos of police on youtube and that sort of thing.

Trust me, we have a huge problem with the attitude of Police and it is coming from the top. They learn it in training. It needs fixed.

Rebel Son, Warpath

Future Endeavoured

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    I agree with some of your ideas.

My opinion however was formed through personal experiences, accounts from trusted friends and families, and some from videos of police on youtube and that sort of thing.

Trust me, we have a huge problem with the attitude of Police and it is coming from the top. They learn it in training. It needs fixed.
    My trusted friends and families spout shit about the police too. Do I take it seriously? No because they're just pissed they got caught breaking the law.

Seriously I know how some of them drive. If they get a speeding ticket and claim the cop was just being an asshole, my money is more on them actually deserving the ticket.

Cops have attitudes because redneck assholes give them an attitude first. If you're honestly and humbly respectful to the cop, you're going to be respected fast. But if you act like an asshole, they're acting like an asshole back. And in every one of those "youtube videos" you usually see the person acting like an asshole to the cop.

Cops have attitudes because they need to. Otherwise they won't be taken seriously and they're going to get hurt. Especially in this day and age whenever people are hunting and killing cops. Literally shooting them in the back.

They know the situations they're in, and sometimes if you don't thrust your authority then nobody is going to take it seriously and you're going to end up in a scuffle that you don't want to end up in.

Cops don't have quotas. They don't pull you over for fun. Most of them hate it because it just means more paperwork and a future hearing where they have to go to court because you're arguing the speeding ticket that you damn well deserve and keeping them off the street protecting and on patrol.

Unreconstructed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    My trusted friends and families spout shit about the police too. Do I take it seriously? No because they're just pissed they got caught breaking the law.

Seriously I know how some of them drive. If they get a speeding ticket and claim the cop was just being an asshole, my money is more on them actually deserving the ticket.

Cops have attitudes because redneck assholes give them an attitude first. If you're honestly and humbly respectful to the cop, you're going to be respected fast. But if you act like an asshole, they're acting like an asshole back. And in every one of those "youtube videos" you usually see the person acting like an asshole to the cop.

Cops have attitudes because they need to. Otherwise they won't be taken seriously and they're going to get hurt. Especially in this day and age whenever people are hunting and killing cops. Literally shooting them in the back.

They know the situations they're in, and sometimes if you don't thrust your authority then nobody is going to take it seriously and you're going to end up in a scuffle that you don't want to end up in.

Cops don't have quotas. They don't pull you over for fun. Most of them hate it because it just means more paperwork and a future hearing where they have to go to court because you're arguing the speeding ticket that you damn well deserve and keeping them off the street protecting and on patrol.
    You are generalizing WAAAAAAAY too much.

You know a nice Cop is few and far between so get off this shit that "If you are nice to the Police they will be nice to you".

We all have experience otherwise. They bring an attitude to most interactions with the public and it is simply uncalled for.

Rebel Son, Warpath

Dak Lives Matter!

Status

You know a nice Cop is few and far between so get off this shit that "If you are nice to the Police they will be nice to you".

We all have experience otherwise. They bring an attitude to most interactions with the public and it is simply uncalled for.
    Sounds like somebody got another speeding ticket, hahaha
    Keeping the candle burning for Carl

Unreconstructed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps View Post
    Sounds like somebody got another speeding ticket, hahaha
    Not since I got my radar detector.

Rebel Son, Warpath

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Cops are saints. Faultless. Flawless.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Let's Talk About Police in America

Not since I got my radar detector.
    They still sell those things?

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Stephen King Horror Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis

Dak Lives Matter!

Status

Cops are saints. Faultless. Flawless.
    Shouldn't you be somewhere feeling sorry for yourself?
    Keeping the candle burning for Carl

Future Endeavoured

Status

I do feel bad Dak that you haven't had the experiences I've had with law enforcement.

I can't argue your experiences. We all see things from our own point of view based on those experiences.

I've met a lot of good cops and great friends. I wish you could meet them too.

But maybe I've given the wrong impression, but I don't think 100% of Cops are good. I just think people believe way more are bad than good. When really it's probably about 75% good and 25% bad. And it's not even that black and white. They're human.

One type of cop I hate to be honest is the high school jock. Glory days of high school football are over and they couldn't make it through college...And they missed being the bully to the kids in school. So they become cops for their local township. Those are the bad ones. I've met a few.

But those types of personalities are dwindling more and more in departments.

Tacos Rule!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Crippler View Post

Uhh...

And you know this how?

Yes there are bad apples here and there in most police precints, but not all. My brother has been a policeman for going on 15 years and has been lucky to run into only one bad apple (who was fired). And it's not the training that make some bad apples, it's just those select few-maybe they like the power they have over people, maybe they think they are about the law. But it's not all cops everywhere.

Tacos Rule!

Status

Guess it just all depends on where you live as far as how most cops are. I would imagine in a big city most cops may have an attitude and would not let things slide- sucH as a speeding ticket. Where we live in Mississippi pretty much all of them are cool.

Thread Information