Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Re: Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

I'm disappointed we didn't see more of Dakota, but at the same time at least we know she's signed so she'll hopefully get more opportunities down the road.

Candice was simply there, but being such a liked babyface helped that Shayna match and post-match so much. I still would like to see her signed full time.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Lita saying Toni & Kairi never wrestled before. *facepalm*
    I wouldn't be surprised if commentary was told not to try and make any reference to Stardom or whatever since Stardom really don't like WWE for grabbing Kairi (and I assume causing Kairi to flip flop between joining or not giving Stardom some stop-start booking). I noticed during the bracketology special that when they highlighted Kairi, they didn't show any footage of her really and they didn't even discuss her after the video package - completely unlike everyone else. So, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't done their homework. It was only, what, 4 months ago they wrestled?

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

Think of the implication

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Outside of Kairi, BelAir, & Piper (Santana & Jazzy to a lesser extent but only had one match) I wouldn't say I've been "impressed" with anyone though there's been some people I thought were good. The tournament's not been great and the booking of Shayna & this as a vehicle to push the MMA girls is not only bad because Shayna is no good, it's a disservice to every women's wrestler to use this first time ever full show's spotlight for that purpose.

Just to repeat: Shayna, still no good.

You can tell who likes CHIKARA in this thread talking up Abbey Laith. She was fine & all but thought she was clearly the second best person in all her matches. Wish we could have gotten Kai or Kay Lee her same opportunities instead of having Kai wrestle two green as grass people before Kairi & KLR eliminated right away.

Lita saying Toni & Kairi never wrestled before. *facepalm*

Jazzy looked great but like Piper, Tessa, & Santana it's hard to disassociate previous negative impressions and say they should sign her.
    That makes me want to cry.
    FIGHT Owens FIGHT

Moon Vulcan S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

@Shake: I don't mind them not giving a full fledged Joshi breakdown, but they shouldn't have brought it up in the first place if they were just going to look dumb. There was no reason to say it really just to get it wrong.

Speaking of Stardom and as an aside to last page's theme discussion I think most of the entrance music was generic & awful dubstep garbage which made Kairi's look better, I wouldn't say it was great but better than most here as well as her 2nd Stardom song (Not her first though). I think Zeda, Dakota Kai, & Miranda Salinas had actual good themes.
    Shoot Shoot Punch Punch Kick Break Your Limbs And Your Face

The soul of Billy Robinson lives on~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator LIGER FEVER)

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Wow I didn't even remember Lita saying that at all, maybe because I tuned her out completely during the tourney. Seriously you could legit fill up a Thread with the dumb things that come outta her mouth. As I look at the brackets again Kairi side was pretty top heavy with Viper and Toni Storm, Kai all on the same side. Not to say Shayna had it super easy to get to the finals, but surely if you stick Toni Storm or Viper on her side it would of been interesting to see how she matches with those ladies.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Honestly, I stopped paying attention to the commentary after the first round. Worst part of the tournament by far.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The EST of WC

Status

Right finally up to date with the whole thing. Better set of episodes for sure.

Bianca, Sane & Piper all had pretty damn good showings. Bianca had a great match with Sane too. Laith was solid enough too.

Not gonna lie when i saw the initial spoilers and saw that It was a Baszler/Sane final i was like wow they must be kinda high on this Baszler chick. I don't follow MMA religiously so i don't really know many female MMA wrestlers so had no idea who she actually was . As soon as i saw the bracketology stuff and saw all the 4HW stuff it added up. Vince & Haitch doing whatever to be relevant obviously The only reason Sane wins now is due to the contract situation. As far as i'm award Baszler doesn't have a contract with the company so may not wanna give her that rub. That being said Vince & Haitch won't turn down the opportunity to actually do the 4HW of MMA v the 4HW of WWE thing so if there is a chance of her sticking around for a few months they may let her win to push for that.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Here we go again; gonna do a run down of each episode first like I did last time.

Episode five was really good. I've only ever seen Laith here and in NXT and to be honest, I've enjoyed her. I thought her first round match with Jazzy was great and this second round effort with Evers was solid. I thought Niven/Deeb was really, really good... continuing Piper's run of quality match up's in this tournament, I was kinda shocked that Serena went out so early, but I guess they were saving the veteran story for Mercedes; which put a different spin on it than Kendrick's story in the CWC because she'd never made it to the 'E before. Talking of Mercedes, her match with Princesa was a fun watch and the result was a bit of a shock to me because I was expecting Sugehit to make it at least to the quarters. Kairi and Bianca had the match of the tournament for me; and I don't see the final beating it for quality either. Belair, for a women that never stepped foot in a wrestling ring just over a year ago, has so much raw potential and natural ability, it's fucking stupid. I really wish they'd let her get further because she impressed me a whole lot. If she's not a major star within the next couple of years then WWE only have themselves to blame.

Episode six was pretty meh to me. Three of the four matches were average at best and I thought Baszler/Yim was a trainwreck. Toni Storm, Dakota Kai and Candice LaRae have all shown me elsewhere that they have the talent to be great additions to any women's division, but nothing any of them did this tournament really stood out to me, especially in the first two rounds.

Episode seven stepped things back up. Once again I was shocked by a Martinez win when I shouldn't have been if I'd bothered to pay attention to the story they were telling. Laith's flimsy connection to Mae Young only took her so far, obviously. Baszler vs. LaRae was both women's best match of the tournament I thought and it had a lot to do with the character work the two did more than any action in the ring; when you have someone so likeable as Candice and someone so easily hated as Shayna, it's easy to create heat and an atmosphere. Toni's best match of the tournament was with Piper, who I assume she's worked with more than anyone else she faced in the whole tournament, so it's not all that surprising. Kairi/Dakota was a fun contest but nothing special compared to both of Sane's previous matches.

The semi-finals were good, but not great. The student/teacher dynamic between Baszler and Martinez made for interesting storytelling but Shayna was out of her depth working a match as long as this one and I'm not sold on the idea that she'll be able to deliver anything of value in the final; that said, her best match was a character based stint against a smaller babyface, so I'm not totally writing her off here. Kairi's match with Storm was good but she seemed a little out of sorts; the dive to the outside where she smashed her face into the ramp grate was brutal and then she seemed to roll herself under the legdrop that apparently gave her the concussion she sustained and I couldn't tell if she was just trying to get closer to make things easier for Toni to hit the move or if she was supposed to be rolling out of the way of it entirely so that Storm would crash and burn and be set up ready for the elbow - whatever the case it effected my enjoyment of the match.

I'm crossing my fingers for the finals to be something worthwhile and I think that it definitely makes a buttload of sense that the winner be presented with the NXT Women's title because why would you do another tournament for when this one is underway; it also puts a target on the winners back of a bunch of pissed of women who don't feel like they got a fair shot at the title after Asuka vacated it - it should be Kairi who wins it, she can be the likeable face who get's shit from heels like the Iconic Duo and Sonya Deville before dropping it to Ember. Shayna, meanwhile needs to be protected and a long reign with the title (which she'd need to be protected kayfabe wise) will only expose her weaknesses in ring; she's basically got the character side of things down, she's a massive dick and she's great at that, keep pushing that, but in-ring she needs work.

As for the Four Horsewomen stuff, it's obvious all the ladies on both sides are down for it, it's just whether or not Ronda can get the UFC to agree to her working it. I imagine it's an angle they want to do for either Survivor Series or Mania, but as far as I'm aware she's still under contract with UFC so there could be some conflicts there. We'll see what happens, I'm sure. I can't really see why the idea seems to upset people.

The EST of WC

Status

Glad WWE went with the smart move rather than the "build the 4HW v 4HW" move. Decent enough final nothing to shout on about but defo one of Baszlers better matches of the tournament.

Seems like it was also announced that she's going to Takeover Houstan to compete for the title which makes sense. Much prefer that route to simply giving her the title. Just giving her the title would have kinda shat on the rest of the NXT women IMO. Interesting to see who she goes up against though. Maybe Nikki & Ember in a triple threat?

Pain does not lie

Status

I'm happy to see my girl win it. You know you feel like a proud Dad in a way, because I remember watching Kairi in Stardom and thinking man she's awesome if only more people would get to see how lovable she is as a person, and as a Wrestler. I mean her coming out party started in the MYC Tourney, but look out what this girl is going to do. I was looking at the ladies in the front row and said to myself the bar has been raised when it comes to Women's Wrestling not just in WWE, but outside of it time to step up your games too. I do say though Kairi vs Shayna was hurt a little bit due to time to get the 205 Live on on time, a good five minutes might of helped the match, but still it was a three star bout between the two.

Yeah Moon is a lock, maybe Nikki, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Shayna in there because I heard she's been working the NXT House Shows too along with Kairi.

Real Women of Genius

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo
    You know you feel like a proud Dad in a way
    Dads would never fap to their daughters.

Right person won. It was an obvious prediction but I don't think it being that obvious really hurt the tournament in the end. Sane being tournament MVP made it more deserving. Baszler winning would have not felt true to what they were trying to accomplish with this tournament and would have been unnecessary, especially if the end game was to build for a match we still don't know we'll ever see.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

I wonder if Shayna could sell or not; turns out she can.

Took a while to get going. That was partially to do with the crowd clearly not all knowing was going on to begin with and partially down to the clash of styles not quite meshing, especially with Baszler's inexperience but once they got to the story of her ribs it got really interesting, clearly sucked the crowd into it well and the stretch from Kairi escaping the submission right up to the elbow was really well done.

Solid match and one of Baszler's best in the tournament. She has a lot of upside, she just needs more experience and rounding out - she's got the presence and a charisma but her movement's and transitions from move to move during matches aren't as polished as I feel like she should be... but that'll all come with working more, especially if she's gonna be working at the PC with the people there that can help her out. She's got a bright future I reckon.

I'm wondering if Kairi will be getting a one-on-one shot at the NXT title or not, and how that's going to be decided. I feel like if it's one-on-one then Moon has to either win it or not be involved somehow, if she loses another shot at that championship it's going to start being the bad kind of streak. I could go for a four way though; Sane, Moon, Cross and someone else - Riot? One of the Iconic Duo? Maybe even Belair just for that longshot story and a star making performance? Although that might be my bias because of how much I've fallen in love with her since the start of the tournament.

Right woman won in the end.

Also, JR was fucking terrible on commentary. I tuned him out by the end. He clearly didn't give a shit about being there and I feel kinda bad because from my perspective his slip has been since his wife died and it's almost as if nothing excites him anymore, but he was calling shit that was so obviously wrong that I couldn't forgive it; I let it go when he confused the Briscoes on the New Japan US shows, and not being up to date with the angles/history all that much myself at the time I barely noticed him mess anything else up even though he got reemed for it online... but this whole tournament he's sounded like he was phoning it in and Lita (of all people) has been doing her level best to carry the calls with so little experience at doing that. He's a talking head for documentaries and a legend and hall of famer for public appearances, please stop bringing him in to commentate. It's becoming tragic.

Oh, yeah...

And how fucking over is Jazzy Gabert with the Full Sail crowd?

Pain does not lie

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    I wonder if Shayna could sell or not; turns out she can.

Took a while to get going. That was partially to do with the crowd clearly not all knowing was going on to begin with and partially down to the clash of styles not quite meshing, especially with Baszler's inexperience but once they got to the story of her ribs it got really interesting, clearly sucked the crowd into it well and the stretch from Kairi escaping the submission right up to the elbow was really well done.

Solid match and one of Baszler's best in the tournament. She has a lot of upside, she just needs more experience and rounding out - she's got the presence and a charisma but her movement's and transitions from move to move during matches aren't as polished as I feel like she should be... but that'll all come with working more, especially if she's gonna be working at the PC with the people there that can help her out. She's got a bright future I reckon.

I'm wondering if Kairi will be getting a one-on-one shot at the NXT title or not, and how that's going to be decided. I feel like if it's one-on-one then Moon has to either win it or not be involved somehow, if she loses another shot at that championship it's going to start being the bad kind of streak. I could go for a four way though; Sane, Moon, Cross and someone else - Riot? One of the Iconic Duo? Maybe even Belair just for that longshot story and a star making performance? Although that might be my bias because of how much I've fallen in love with her since the start of the tournament.

Right woman won in the end.

Also, JR was fucking terrible on commentary. I tuned him out by the end. He clearly didn't give a shit about being there and I feel kinda bad because from my perspective his slip has been since his wife died and it's almost as if nothing excites him anymore, but he was calling shit that was so obviously wrong that I couldn't forgive it; I let it go when he confused the Briscoes on the New Japan US shows, and not being up to date with the angles/history all that much myself at the time I barely noticed him mess anything else up even though he got reemed for it online... but this whole tournament he's sounded like he was phoning it in and Lita (of all people) has been doing her level best to carry the calls with so little experience at doing that. He's a talking head for documentaries and a legend and hall of famer for public appearances, please stop bringing him in to commentate. It's becoming tragic.

Oh, yeah...

And how fucking over is Jazzy Gabert with the Full Sail crowd?
    Yeah Jazzy is one scary lady and the people believe that she can be a star who knows maybe she does get a signing in the future. Seeing Toni, Viper, Candice and Mercedes it would be nice to know sooner rather than later those ladies are signed as well. The NXT Women's Division is getting deeper should be a very interesting to watch the next 6 months of TV if all of those ladies come over.

Real Women of Genius

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

So Kairi won? Excellent best give it a watch now then. Was avoiding it incase WWE went the other way for "Horsewomen" story purposes.
    I have a plan so cunning......

For A Better WC

Status
      Country                    England

The final was good, but if we're being honest it was hardly a huge upgrade on the main roster women's title matches. Tournaments like this need the final to be one of the best matches of the tournament and a legitimate great match. Dunne Vs Bate was, WALTER Vs Dragunov was, Naito Vs Omega was.....this was just ok with a good story. Shayna's a really good talker, but in the ring she was really clunky, sloppy and off-time in her positioning last night. There were moments where you could tell she was trying to remember what comes next and some of her transitions weren't that smooth. I think maybe she was a little nervous about the occasion - she certainly didn't see ready for it. Kairi was the right call, and I look forward to her being in NXT from now on. For all that talk of her not being able to use the elbow drop, the elbow drop was the story of the fucking final

JR was down right embarrassing in the finals and that man needs to be sent out to pasture and never brought in again by WWE; didn't see interested at all in what he was calling beyond getting a paycheck. How a man with his decade of experience can't even work out what the story of the match is supposed to be is baffling. Shayna kept working over the elbow and JR shouts 'ANOTHER SHOT RIGHT TO THE SOLAR PLEXUS' and it was Lita who had to . It made it worse last night when they showed Mauro in the crowd, who even though he's dorky, would of been super enthusiastic on commentary.

In terms of WWE produced tournaments, MYC ultimately wasn't even as good as the UK tournament was, let alone the CWC which remains one of the best things WWE have ever produced.

Smiling Politely

Status

I'm willing to cut JR some slack due to the fact that guy has had tough year. I personally don't find anything wrong with his current commentary.

I'm glad Kairi won because I don't know how I would've felt about Shayna winning. Sure I would have probably accepted it but it probably wouldn't have been as exciting in my opinion, at least to me. I had never seen much of Kairi's work prior to this tournament (as with half of the competitors in the tournament) but she made me a fan and I'd like to see some stuff from her Stardom days so if HoHo or Shake could possibly recommend some matches I'd appreciate it.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Pain does not lie

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy King View Post
    I'm willing to cut JR some slack due to the fact that guy has had tough year. I personally don't find anything wrong with his current commentary.

I'm glad Kairi won because I don't know how I would've felt about Shayna winning. Sure I would have probably accepted it but it probably wouldn't have been as exciting in my opinion, at least to me. I had never seen much of Kairi's work prior to this tournament (as with half of the competitors in the tournament) but she made me a fan and I'd like to see some stuff from her Stardom days so if HoHo or Shake could possibly recommend some matches I'd appreciate it.

This Match has always been my go to match to show people what Joshi is all about. It's the Match that made me into a Stardom fan and to me it's Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo's best match together and they have had plenty of them over the years. I have a few Kana[Asuka] Matches in the Real Women of Genius Thread if you want to check those out as well buddy.

Real Women of Genius

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Caught the match last night...it wasn't too bad a match overall. It got a decent amount of time and it showcased both well. Kairi focusing on the ribs allowed a story to be played out which is excellent, and Shayna seemingly got better as the match went on, despite looking really uncomfortable selling certain things.

We'll see how many of these women turn up in NXT moving forward now.
    I have a plan so cunning......

The Bastard of Bolton

Status

Really dug the final match of the tournament as well as the tournament as a whole. Going in I can't deny I had a few concerns as to how well Shayna and Kairi would mesh. But they put on a worthy final in my mind with the right person definitely winning. Thought the match itself was really good and have been very impressed with how good Shayna is considering her lack of experience. Hope she gets herself a contract after this. As for Kairi she is definitely my pick to be the next NXT women's Champion.

Thread Information