Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bodybuilding and Fitness

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

Re: The WC Health and Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I never knew this was considered fasting so thanks. Now I can say I fast every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honestly I didn't either. I started using this app called zero that made aware of it being a thing. I don't really consider it fasting. More of a not snacking.

Zero calls it the Circadian rhythm fast - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5388543/

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    United States

5'11" and 246 pounds. I've started going back to the gym in December. I plan to drop 20 pounds by the end of the year and run a 5k in September. Part of the plan is to eat less fast food (which has become more or less the standard for on work days) and replace those meals with leftovers. Also, I intend having more leftovers as overeating is the cause of most of my weight problem.

God's Gift to God

Status

Yeah your sleep period is considered fasting so just find a timeframe that works for you. Like ino said don't sacrifice recovery for the sake of not eating. Like if you went full keto you could fast for weeks once you put your body in a state that allows it without too much effort.

For me i eat within a 10 hour window. I always work early so I'm never in a position to eat breakfast anyway. Outside of coffee I don't usually touch food until 1 at the earliest. I feel sick if I eat in the morning as well. Most days i eat once around 4 or 5 and then maybe have a snack before 8. When I'm on point I allow myself to eat between 10am and 8pm and nothing outside of that.

It definitely works you just have to fine tune it for your body.

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Sort of waiting on ballot news to see how my year pans out. Until then, got a 10 mile multi-terrain race next month and possibly a flat road half marathon 3 weeks later. Turned vegetarian last month, still feeling strong and recovering quickly.

Main aim is to try and get past my swimming anxiety this year.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

What's your swimming anxiety out of interest? My 5 year old has always been petrified of water so getting her to start swimming lessons was very hard.
    I have a plan so cunning......

[Your Name]

Status

Just not confident with it at all, to the extent I've avoided it for years. Probably doesn't help that last time I went water got in my ears and caused me serious ear ache for a week.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Just not confident with it at all, to the extent I've avoided it for years. Probably doesn't help that last time I went water got in my ears and caused me serious ear ache for a week.

I had eczema growing up so the chlorine in the water made it a pain.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Meh

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    Yeah your sleep period is considered fasting so just find a timeframe that works for you. Like ino said don't sacrifice recovery for the sake of not eating. Like if you went full keto you could fast for weeks once you put your body in a state that allows it without too much effort.

For me i eat within a 10 hour window. I always work early so I'm never in a position to eat breakfast anyway. Outside of coffee I don't usually touch food until 1 at the earliest. I feel sick if I eat in the morning as well. Most days i eat once around 4 or 5 and then maybe have a snack before 8. When I'm on point I allow myself to eat between 10am and 8pm and nothing outside of that.

It definitely works you just have to fine tune it for your body.
    Really? My whole life I've felt sick if I eat in the morning. That's weird.

I'm looking a lot into pliability right now, and band workouts.

The last time I got back into working out, I went too hard, and ended up hurting myself and a wreck. Muscle memory is great, but not that great that I can jump back in and pump iron like I did in highschool at 28.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I've also just returned to working out after suffering an injury. A strained my trap which wasn't great, and took a fair bit of time off because I just couldn't get it right. Have been back at it for about 4 weeks now and just slowly building up the strength again.

This time my diet is pretty ace with it though, so seeing some early weight loss results which is nice. Keeps me motivated, even if when I told my dad I had lost 10 kilos, his response was "really? How big were you?"

Meh

Status

My folks are like that, too.

Easing back into it seems to be the key. Diet, too, naturally.

On Vacation

Status

Re: Bodybuilding and Fitness

For any of you who may be strapped for time but want a cardio and strength training exercise, I suggest doing a ruck. Its one of the ways I get a quick work out in, especially due to having a hectic schedule. You can grab a back pack and put a few weights in there, and go for a walk. I like to go at least 30-60 mins. Depending on how much time I have. I would suggest starting out with 20 or 30 lbs and building your way up to 30 minutes. Like, if your not that great at cardio or strength training, just check your ego and build yourself up to a goal. You can just use a ten pound plate and ruck it for 5 - 10 minutes three times a week to get yourself there. You can burn an ass load of calories and strengthen a large group of muscles with this exercise. One thing I like to do, is ruck up Stone Mountain with a 60 lb pack. I am usually spent when I get back to my car.

Get Bitches.

Status

I have to tell someone.

I started doing 1v1 boxing classes.

I'm going to die. This is the hardest workout I've ever done in my life.

Don't get me wrong. All workouts are hard. But running/biking/rowing - you find a rhythm, and you go. Yoga, it's hard but you can really go at your own pace. Crossfit, probably more physically demanding.

But boxing... while it's not direct sparring as it's pad work, there is another party there adding a dynamic you need to think about. The mental and physical exhaustion I'm feeling right now after an hour is incredible. It took me 40 minutes to finally put my stomach back in check so I didn't nearly throw up.

[Your Name]

Status

Heard a lot about how great boxing is as a workout so I'm not surprised. Main thing that puts me off is the whole getting punched thing

Are you a book reader Ino? I can imagine you reading Natural Born Heroes by Chris McDougall and nodding along to 90% of it.

Get Bitches.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by German Dave View Post
    Heard a lot about how great boxing is as a workout so I'm not surprised. Main thing that puts me off is the whole getting punched thing

Are you a book reader Ino? I can imagine you reading Natural Born Heroes by Chris McDougall and nodding along to 90% of it.

The good news is there's no getting punched. Not yet at least. Basically one guy wears pads, the other throws punches. But pad wearer will throw some punches off to the side to encourage footwork and movement.

Like today's workout was 10x4 punch combos with a jab in between each combo.

I would like to eventually work my way up to doing this: http://www.whitecollarboxinglondon.com/

I'm more of an audiobook guy but I do read a book or so a month. I'll check it out. It does look like my kind of book (and my kind of workout style.) I really like Athlean-X on Youtube who basically preaches useable strength and conditioning.

Status

I started the Nutrisytem for Men diet this week. The first week is turbo week. I'm on Day 4 of that and it's been tough. I've only been having about 950 calories a day, which used to be what I'd have in a meal.

But I've upped my water intake big time, and have been meeting the 64 oz minimum each day.

I haven't started running yet because they don't recommend any sort of high level activity like that the first week because your body is adjusting to the lack of carbs it's used to, so next week I'll start that.

I already feel more energized though. My starting weight is 207 ish, but I'm 5'5-5'6 so my goal is to get to at least 170, but the ideal weight would be to get to the 150s even.

The diet plan isn't bad because they send all the foods and it's all organized. The hardest thing has been adjusting to portion sizes, and this first week there's no post dinner meal so after dinner is the hardest. I can have unlimited fresh vegetables though, so that plus the water plus the things like the protein bars and shakes have made it do able.

By the end of this I'm either going to be completely commited to this diet/lifestyle change, or I'm going to say screw it an accept that I'm just going to be overweight and then eat whatever I want.

Meh

Status

Been easing back into light cardio, and some modest weight lifting. But mostly doing a mix of yoga and calisthenics.

I've lost about 10 lbs since I cut back from drinking every other day to no more than once a week.

Thread Information