Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2017/18 Discussion Thread

Status

Re: Champions League 2017/18 Discussion Thread

...down a player almost the entire match to one of the strongest sides in European. A result was never that likely for them, let alone after the red card. Sucks, but giant-killing in the Champions League is somewhat rare for a reason at this stage.

ozzyozyakup10

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Imagine spending at least a 400 million euros and still getting eliminated in the same round as Besiktas.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Marshall Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    Imagine spending at least a 400 million euros and still getting eliminated in the same round as Besiktas.
    ...and gettin' eliminated by a team that's in a worse shape.

...just Rebecca...

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Yeah it's pretty funny how spending /=/ immediate success in Europe, I mean City have been filthy rich for over a decade, won multiple premier league titles and only now look like a team that might reach the UCL final.

Status

I believe the official UEFA term for being eliminated in the round of 16 of the Champions League is "Arsenal'ing". You know, from back when Arsenal used to actually qualify for the Champions League....

A comeback by PSG was pretty much never going to happen without Neymar, but that seemed pretty limp. Emery is done there. To take that next step, they really need a top level manager. They thought they were getting that with Emery but it doesn't seem like it. I really do hope they get smashed by FFP lol

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

PSG were neat and tidy with the ball with no real end product. Di Maria bigged up before the game for scoring 13 goals in 2018 (7 of them in the French Cup) reminded me of why he was a flop at United - much like Sanchez actually, he tries to play killer balls when they aren't on, far too direct at times when sometimes he has to pick the smarter option. He's all direct, 100mph football but with no quality - against top opposition anyway.

Saying that if Mbappe had squared the one to Cavani at 0-0 it would have made for an interesting game at least.

Thought Ramos was brilliant at the back for Madrid, best I've seen him actually defensively for a while. Asensio was balling on the wing too, grew in confidence as the game went on. Hard to see how Bale will ever be a starter in that team again unless Zidane drops Benzema, which seems unlikely as he seems to be a favourite of his.

And he scores goals...!

Brick Shithouse

Status

Hahhahaha, fuck off Mourinho you whingey twat.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

What was Jose doing? We need at least a goal but we barely attacked them.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Just an embarrassment. This has been coming for weeks now - have rode our luck against Chelsea, Palace & Liverpool the past 3 weeks, deserved 1 point at most from those games so we were going to get beat by someone eventually.

Shite it's happened tonight and knocked us out but maybe it'll wake the club up that Jose isn't the answer. Sounds like a typical knee-jerk reaction from a fan but the guy honestly doesn't seem to have a clue anymore. Seemed to set up to play for penalties or try and grab a goal by lumping it forward to Fellaini, it's madness. We have the players to beat anyone in world football, so go out and attack with them fs instead of knocking it along the back and then giving it to DDG to hoof forward.

Sanchez has to be dropped from now on, absolutely awful again. Fellaini was so off the pace, dire - just played to lump it forward to. Pogba comes on and kicks it out every few minutes. Rashford looked awful on the right too, playing there to accommodate Sanchez clearly. Even Matic has looked poor for weeks now, looks like a fella who has played every game this season, so leggy.

Lukaku and Bailly about the only two players who did alright outfield. Obviously DDG was solid again too, he must wonder wtf he is still doing at this club - wouldn't begrudge him a transfer away this summer. Just wasting his prime years at a club where isn't going to win any big trophies now.

And he scores goals...!

Status

Thank you so fucking much, Man U. I know you didn't do this for our benefit. But if/when Arsenal capitulate against Milan on Thursday, at least we can point to you guys. Kudos.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I know they didn't score that third goal but Ashley Young positioning for what should've been Ben Yedder third goal was poor and what's worse is that Young made no effort to get back.

Credit to Bailly without him, we would have conceded much earlier in the game.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Internet Favorite

Status

I love that Spurs and Man Utd are out of the CL. At least they will get to play in the CL again next season. Now I hope Arsenal don’t fuck up against Milan.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Jose got it all kinds of wrong again last night. He needed to stick with 433. Had no creativity from the midfield two, the forwards outside of Lukaku did nothing, and the majority of the team just looked like they didn't give a damn all match. Credit to Sevilla though, deserved winners over the two games and Ben Yedder made most of his couple of chances.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Tactics were all wrong from Mourinho last night. Playing at home in a second leg with the tie at 0-0 and deciding to go with Fellini to partner Matic in midfield was just negative nancy nonsense. As soon as I saw the starting line-up and Fellaini in there then I said to myself that I could see us losing.
    I honestly think that Sanchez needs to be dropped too. I can't fault his work ethic and he's clearly trying hard (perhaps too hard) but he's just not delivering right now. Rashford played a blinder against Liverpool and is clearly hungry, Martial has been our best wide forward this season, Lingard and Mata are both also having great seasons, there's a case to be made for any and all of them to start ahead of Sanchez at this point. We've changed things around to accommodate him and it's not been a smooth transition. Drop him for now, let him integrate into the team and then slowly feed him back in.

Very disappointed that we're knocked out. We have to go all in to win the FA Cup now. Getting second will be satisfactory (though we were expected to challenge for the title this season) but a trophy-less season would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Status

Love the irony of this.... Yesterday morning, the primary headline on a football site I visit was praising Mourinho for his tactics against Liverpool. After this match, same site was blasting Mourinho for his tactics. Not saying either reaction is wrong, just amusing.

Already seeing calls for Sanchez to get dropped by pundits. And now United supporters might understand a bit more why Gooners weren't, generally speaking, that distraught to see him go. He was our best player quite often, and could turn a match, but he can also be really detrimental. Wait until he starts acting out on the pitch and screaming at his teammates.

ozzyozyakup10

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Well, I guess we did better than what Arsenal did last year. It's barely a comparison and consolation, but I'll take it considering we played nearly all of the first match with ten and but B team on pitch against Bayern's main team in the second match.

Rusev Day

Status

I hate Jose Mourinho so much. Last night was the exact illustration of why I never wanted him as Man Utd manager.

Negative, negative manager who will never satisfy United fans and holds back creative players by not letting them express themselves.

Also, Alexis Sanchez has been terrible.

Pulling for Chelsea tonight as want an English team to go through but can't see Barcelona losing.
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Intercontinental Champion

Status

I had the great misfortune of actually being at Old Trafford for that game and it was fucking horrible, I have been to one game a month for 4 years now and I have never seen such a toxic atmosphere in the stands (I was in the Stretford end). The crowd began the match pretty damn loud and it took about 15 minutes for us to see what was coming, hoofing the ball up to Fellaini and Lukaku is not a tactic and my friend and I just couldn't understand why we didn't just have the same tactic as we had against Liverpool?

Why drop McTominay after he kept Salah and Hazard both quiet, he seems to bring a good balance to the middle with Matic? Why is Fellaini back in the squad when he is obviously not fit? Why was Rashford starting on the right? Why are we spending a Champions League night, passing between Bailly and Smalling? It was just so negative and seemed a detriment to the players. Halftime came and everyone around me was in agreement that we needed to make a sub, bringing on Pogba or McTominay and taking Fellaini off but none of that happened.

Rashford came more into the game when he was swapped to the left but that left Sanchez wherever he wanted. First-half Sanchez just wanted to come inside despite being on the left wing, he did mostly the same on the right in the 2nd, causing him to get in the way of Lingard and Lukaku! Halfway through the second half? He looked like he had just given up! Lukaku and Rashford were the only ones fully going for it until the very end. By the time Pogba had come on, the team was rushing far too much and not concentrating, it was already too late. Bailly was good in defence but that's about it, everyone in my section was pointing out that Correa (on the left wing I think?) was just walking around the pitch, not being marked at all. It was just all frustrating to watch and there were a lot of angry people in the stadium, including me and my friend...

Imagine how we felt when we got onto the bus out of Old Trafford to read the "It's not new to Utd to go out of the Champions League" interview. It feels like a spit in the face and very disrespectful to the fans. This season we have had to deal with being told we are quiet but trust me, it is very hard to chant and be loud when what you are watching is negative football. Most of the match, most of the players were just walking around, not bothering to move forward! The number of times Rashford or Lukaku held the ball up or attacked and they turned to see they were alone was startling. Poor tactics and the conduct of a poor manager, sadly we are stuck with it as Utd will probably get 2nd or 3rd this year and that will be a success in the eyes of the deciders of the club, Mourinho is not the person to take the club any further forward due to his negative tactics and that he is too stubborn to listen to the people...that actually pay his fucking wages....

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quaterfinal draw:

Barcelona v Roma
    Sevilla v Bayern Munich
    Juventus v Real Madrid
    Liverpool v Man City

I'll take that. City won't be easy at all but we've been them once this season and can do it again.

Juve/Madrid sounds like a tasty fixture too. Really could go either way in that one. No disrespect to Roma or Sevilla but Barca & Bayern should make it through to the semis comfortably.

Internet Favorite

Status

Real Madrid will be the faves against Juve but over two legs you never know. Could go either way. Really hope Juve knock them out. Barca and Bayern are pretty much certain to go through. Liverpool/Man City could go either way. Really wanted two English teams in the Semis so it sucks that they have to play each other now.

Anyone but Barca, Real or Bayern for the CL but most likely one of these 3 teams will win it.

Thread Information