Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Champions League 2017/18 Discussion Thread

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Champions League 2017/18 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    The only thing I'm sad about with Salah is if he misses the world cup because you want the best players in the world at the tournament and watching Egypt's games just got boring.

I think people are going OTT with Ramos, it's an unfortunate outcome, but literally no-one would be talking about the foul if Salah escaped without injury cause it's not that bad a foul. Because it's taken Liverpool's best player off the pitch, it's being analysed like a JFK shooting with conspiracy theories. He is a bit of a cunt tho, but at least he's a serial winner, unlike regular footballing cunts like Joey Barton. You know scousers though, always the victim.

The Karius thing is great because it's provided some unforgettable moments in UCL finals but it's also exposed Liverpool as frauds when it comes to their identity. You'll never walk alone? how come it was left to the Madrid players to go to Karius and comfort him - no-one in red wanted to come near him. The funniest thing was Steven Gerrard having to discuss the mistakes after the match, because he knows a thing or two about making big howlers in crucial games.
    I mean.....can you really blame them?

Its very easy to sit and judge from the other side but lets be real now, how many of you would want to go up and hug him at that very moment knowing full well his mistakes pretty much cost you such a huge game? (That's not to see he's the only person to blame but we were doing ok before the initial mistake and still hanging in after Bale's wondergoal, the third goal pretty much deflated the team) The level of emotion (anger, disappointment, sadness, feeling of letting the fans down etc...) would have been rife throughout the whole team and i'm sure going up to console the person who pretty much helped aid those feelings in a BIG way would be the last thing on many of their minds.

Football is a very emotional game. I'm sure once things cooled down and Klopp got everyone back into the dressing room they hugged and made up.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    I mean.....can you really blame them?

Its very easy to sit and judge from the other side but lets be real now, how many of you would want to go up and hug him at that very moment knowing full well his mistakes pretty much cost you such a huge game? (That's not to see he's the only person to blame but we were doing ok before the initial mistake and still hanging in after Bale's wondergoal, the third goal pretty much deflated the team) The level of emotion (anger, disappointment, sadness, feeling of letting the fans down etc...) would have been rife throughout the whole team and i'm sure going up to console the person who pretty much helped aid those feelings in a BIG way would be the last thing on many of their minds.

Football is a very emotional game. I'm sure once things cooled down and Klopp got everyone back into the dressing room they hugged and made up.
    They're his teammates. You win together and you lose together. Cannot be ignoring the poor fucker after something like that.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Status

The fundamental idea of sportsmanship is controlling the emotion of the moment to still be respectful. Toward your opponents, your supporters, and to your teammates.

Treating Karius like that honestly sapped some of the respect I had for Liverpool as a club and their players. Even Klopp.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Was horrid to see, and when you hear he's received death threats too, his mental health needs to be monitored following this match. You can't totally blame Karius though, he kept Liverpool in it at times, and going forward they didn't create enough. The club really need to look at themselves, yes it's tough to take losing a final in that kind of manner but you are a team, you play as a team, you win as a team, you lose as a team and you go through the rough with the smooth as a team.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    England

Karius made BIG mistakes but the reaction towards him from fans and teammates have been horrific. Honestly, no matter what happens, you don't do that towards your own player. You could see how devestated he was, you should comfort him, make him feel better about what happened. Instead he gets ignored by his teammates who are also his friends and gets death threats from the fans. Credit to Madrid players, they didn't have to console the guy but they did.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Europe

On my way back from Liverpool, stayed with family up there for the game and watched it from a pub in the city.

Firstly, the city was buzzing all day. There was a palatable sense that, even though Pool were clearly underdogs, everyone felt like the win was “ours” (I’ll use ours for the sake of this message, even though I’m not quite a Liverpool fan.) That feeling of “we’re going to do it!” was there basically until the Salah injury. Once he went off the air went out of the pub. The players
    noticeably lost a bit of their edge, but it’s no surprise given everyone in the pub did too. In an instant it went from “we’re gonna do it!” To “I hope we can hold on”. It was unbelievably tense. Didn’t get the feeling anyone at the bar particularly blamed Ramos any more than knowing he plays rough and can be a shit. Hope Mo is okay for the WC.

Real’s first goal there was almost a mutiny with Karius’ mistake. I’ve been supportive of him since he joined, but there’s no excuse for that kind of mistake. The third, these things happen. You see it all the time with poor handling or a fumble. But the first was inexcusable. At that point, the match felt gone. Atmosphere in the pub was still great, but the match felt over.

And then Mane scored. My uncle (who admittedly was a ridiculous amount of pints in) must have said 3/4 times that it “felt like Istanbul”, in that we were clearly second best, but the momentum was switching our way. I think everyone felt that another goal and we would do it.

And then Bale happened. Jesus Christ.

In a completely red pub, the first reaction was a gasp when it went in. On the replay, the entire place started applauding. Just complete respect for one of the classic final goals. Was a surreal experience seeing every single person applauding the opposition, but completely deserved. I read this morning he was talking about coming back to the Prem. I hope he comes back to Spurs, but I can’t see him anyway but United, unfortunately. Which is a shame.

And then there was the third goal. Initial reaction from every one was shock. In fact, similar in a way to the reaction to Nale’s first, in that the air was sucked out of the room. Everyone was aghast, obviously. A few people were furious and threw abuse at Karius, but they were fairly quickly shouted down. Consensus seemed to be that these things happen, especially with a keeper everyone knew probably wasn’t at the required standard. I think most people were more annoyed that he’s the number one, rather than anger at him for his mistake. I’d say most people in the pub I was in were actually more sympathetic than anything, as that must be absolute hell to go through. We will get another keeper, and hopefully bounce back for bigger and better things, but I don’t think you can say the same for him. Not everyone agreed, but I can see it both ways.

We stuck around for a couple of hours afterwards. People I was chatting to were frustrated because there really was this tangible sense that, even though Real are clearly better, the win was there to be taken. Factor in 2 of the 3 goals were basically unheard of mistakes at that level, and Salah went off early, there was a feeling of what might have been, which I find is possibly the worst feeling in football. If we’d have lost 3-1 but from 3 good goals and Salah on the pitch, you live with it. But this felt a bit tough to swallow, even though Real were clearly the better team and absolutely deserved winners.

We didn't really watch the screen all that much after full time so cant speak to this reaction to Karius people are speaking of, but I would respectfully say it’s easy to suggest how to behave when you have no emotional ties to the moment. The pub I was in was very forgiving to Karius, yet I imagine they’d have struggled to work up the courage to pat him on the back after. It’s easy to win because of those mistakes and console him. Harder when those mistakes cost you. Plus, we don’t know what went on in the dressing room after (I admittedly may have missed something big though having not seen much post-match footage, and with sound turned off the TV. Anyone care to elaborate?).

Still, I see this as a good campaign. We’d have taken losing finalists at the start of the season, and there’s still the sense that the real good times are ahead. Fair play to Real.

EDIT: Okay just seen someone say he’s received death threats. That shit is really uncool and completely inexcusable. That was absolutely not the sense I got in the pub I was in, but obviously, that’s a small microcosm of supporters. Genuinely hope Karius is okay as I can’t imagine what it’s like to deal with.
    Last edited by Keefmoon; 05-27-2018 at 11:44 AM.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Hindsight is an amazing thing.

Again, we don't really know what happened once they all went off the field, once everyone calmed down a bit more. I have zero doubts Klopp took to him one side afterwards and consoled him. He's not perfect but it definitely comes across as someone who cares about his players, same with Hendo & all the other boys. I cant say for sure but i wanna believe the team spirit is still there. Just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen, in the same way they could have hug and patted him on the back on the pitch and then ignored him rest of the night....would that have been better? Honestly i'm sure none of them blame him in the slightest (and even if they do they have enough about them to look past it for the team's sake).As they always say hindsight is an amazing thing and its very easy to say "you can't do that. you have to do this" especially when you're not the one feeling the emotion and only judge on what you can see.

The death threats are ridiculous and undeserved for sure though. Idiots are gonna be idiots. With all the laws surrounding that sort of thing now those people should get whats coming to them.

Status

So umm.... reports are that Karius was concussed by the shot to the head from Ramos. So both mistakes could be, you, compounded by that.

So not only did he get kept on the pitch after a blow the head, but that has a high probability of impacting his performance afterward, and he got ignored by his teammates for his effort.

You indeed never walk alone... unless you take a headshot for us, then you walk alone until we feel like acknowledging your existence.

Forget renaming the Champions League to the CR7 League - rename it to the Ramos League. Concussed Karius, injured (intentionally or not) Salah, and had two wonderful dives, one of which got a Reds player a yellow card. Bravo, Ramos. Bravo.

Thread Information