Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2017/18 Discussion Thread

Olympic Hero Smod

Status
      Country                    England

Premier League 2017/18 Discussion Thread

PREMIER LEAGUE SEASON 2017/18

The best league in the world starts on Friday and I'll be posting all the fixtures in this thread for the season.

Who do you think will be crowned champions come next May?

*All kick-offs 3pm unless stated*

Friday, August 11

Arsenal v Leicester (7.45pm)

Saturday, August 12

Watford v Liverpool (12.30pm)
    Chelsea v Burnley
    Crystal Palace v Huddersfield
    Everton v Stoke
    Southampton v Swansea
    West Brom v Bournemouth
    Brighton v Man City (5.30pm)

Sunday, August 13

Newcastle v Tottenham (1.30pm)
    Man Utd v West Ham (4pm)

When the black man talkin

Status

Re: Premier League 2017/18 Discussion Thread

Cant see the title going anywhere but Manchester. Leaning more towards City than Utd.

Arsenal will regain top 4. At Chelsea's expense.

Brighton, Swansea and Huddersfield to go down.

Newcastle to finish 16th.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

The year is hard to predict. every team in contention has a problems. City still have to sort out their defense, three full backs won't sort that out, Liverpool have no depth, united have a consistency problem, chelsea haven't improved on what they had, arsneal have uncertainty within the squad concerning their players loyalty and spurs well they have no depth and they have trouble with playing at Wembley. I can see it going down to the last day off the season. Which is more exciting but makes it harder to predict.

Olympic Hero Smod

Status

City are big favourites in my opinion. Think Arsenal and Liverpool miss out on top four.

Burnley, Huddersfield and Watford to go down.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

It's hard to call in fairness. I would go with the majority and guess the title will end up in Manchester but the rest is anyones guess. It's the same with the relegation battle, it could be any three teams from 6 or 7 teams. It could also easily be the three that came up go back down.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Very excited that PL football is back. I'm going to wait till the transfer window closes so then I'll do a detailed analysis along with my league table predictions. Now as things stand here's my predictions for the top 7. This could change by the end of the window. Man City are the faves to win the title. Anything less than a title win is a failure for Pep. City have strengthened their squad and I expect them to win the title.

Man Utd have bought and I expect them to challenge for the title. At the moment they are my pick for the runners up. Chelsea and Liverpool have Europe to deal with this time compared to last season. I think Chelsea will find it difficult to retain the title so predicting them to finish third. Arsenal still need to address some key positions but with our current squad it's 4th. Europa League football, extra games and the travel will likely affect our league performance. If Sanchez leaves then 5th.

Spurs and Liverpool to miss out on top 4. Liverpool at 5th, if Coutinho leaves then probably 6th. Spurs will struggle at Wembley. Spurs haven't made a signing yet so at the moment it's 6th. Everton have had a great window and they will finish 7th.

PL golden boot contenders will be Kane, Lukaku, Aguero, Sanchez, Lacazette and Morata. Kane will be the favourite to win for the third consecutive year but I think Lukaku will be the top scorer. Hope I'm wrong.

Burnley, Huddersfield and Brighton to go down. Watford, Swansea and Newcastle to also be involved in the relegation scrap.

Long overdue for Arsenal to get a win on the opening day. Arsenal need to get off to a winning start at home as we usually struggle on the first day. The injury crisis has already started. Sanchez is injured and will miss the opening two games. Ramsey, Mustafi and Ozil are doubts. Koscielny is banned. Already five first teamers down and also Mertesacker is a doubt.

Yet again Arsenal are going into the season unprepared. We have a large squad. Wenger needs to sell most of our fringe players before we can strengthen. Wenger has three weeks left to sort this out. If Wenger had filled the gaps then we would be good to go for this month's league games against Leicester, Stoke and Liverpool.

Ramsey's injured, Elneny and Coq need to step up. Santi and Wilshere are long term injury prone players. We need to sign another quality CM to play alongside Xhaka. Still not convinced with our defence, need another CB and a RW. We have a much better squad than last season though. Lacazette and Kolanisac are certain to make their league debuts. Annoyed that Mike Dean is the ref especially for our first league game. Going with a 1-1 draw, hopefully it's a win for Arsenal.

LARIATOOOOOOOO

Status

Beyond Everton finishing 7th, any other position is totally unpredictable in my eyes.

I don't think any of the promoted sides have strengthened well, but Burnley didn't do any impressive business last year and stayed up fairly comfortably, so who knows. Would love Newcastle to struggle and the blame game going to Rafa so I can troll Nash about King Pards the new Sky Sports pundit.

Albion have had a really frustrating Summer considering we had 40 points by Feb and knew we were safe with 3 months to spare, and yet here we are days from the season starting with only J-Rod as a player who improves us. We're targeting 5 more signings so we'll see how that goes, I think we're waiting until the final few days for prices to drop and bigger clubs to land their targets first. I can't see us being top 10 again, but we'll survive. Pulis will feel the pressure if we struggle in the first 6 games, especially with fan favourite Megson now named as his assistant. At least we aren't losing any significant players from our team this summer like Burnley losing Keane/Gray, Swansea probably losing Siggy, Saints probably losing VVD. Captain Evans is staying put

I like Leicester's business this summer; the kind of signings they should of pulled off after the title win.

I hope Liverpool hold their nerve and keep Key, because I love watching him play and he's fantrax royalty.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I still fancy Stoke to be in a relegation scrap.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status

Brighton will go down, they have no quality prem worthy other then Davy propper.

No voter.

Status
      Country                    UK

I think the title might be going to Manchester I'm just not sure which side. Chelsea I think will struggle with a title challenge as their depth/number of bodies they have may prove an issue. Two or three injuries and they could be in a lot of trouble, I suppose you could say that for any team though.

Man United/Man City
    Chelsea
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Everton

Going for the above for my top 7, should be a really interesting season though and there is potential for a really tight, multiple team title race.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I think City are the favorites for the title at this point, despite the fact that they still need a CB. They'll be fine if Kompany stays fit, but that's a big if given that he's struggled to stay fit for the last couple of seasons now. There's still a question mark over the keeper situation too for me. Ederson has never played in te PL before, and being a great keeper on the continent doesn't always translate to being a great keeper in this league. We saw that with Bravo. Fantastic keeper at International level and has been fantastic in La Liga for Sociedad and Barca but he couldn't figure out the PL. We'll see if Ederson manages it.
    Elsewhere though City look strong. They have a great balance in midfield, good options in the wide areas and they've got great striking options, whether they play Aguero and Jesus or just one of them.

Chelsea have weakened themselves if anything so far. I'm amazed that they sold Matic, especially to a PL rival. He's played a large part in their success in the last 3 years so to sell him is a strange move for me. Not that I'm complaining, as a United fan, but I don't think that Conte wanted to lose him. They've brought in Bakayoko as a replacement but will he be as good? I have my doubts. Costa looks on his way out too which is another strange one. Despite his temperament he's proven to be one of the best strikers the league's seen, but if he was that much of an issue and Conta didn't feel he could handle him then I guess they have no choice but to freeze him out and try and sell him. they've of course got Morata as a replacement (though I'm convinced that he was their second choice with Lukaku being their #1 target) but he's not proven in the PL. We'll have to wait and see how he gets on but he struggled when he came on against Arsenal in the Community Shield. The way pre-season has gone I think that Chelsea should look to Michy Batshuayi as their main man. I think he deserves a chance to lead the line. Another player I'm shocked they've let go is Dominic Solanke. He looks like a handful and though he was out of contract and wanted to play first team football, I think Chelsea should have made more of an effort to keep him and offer him more 1st team opportunities along with Batshuayi to replace Costa. Good steal for Liverpool there though. Losing Terry and letting Zuma go out on loan are mistakes to IMO. I just feel that a few players they've let go, either on loan or permanently, should have been kept, especially the younger ones.

Spurs haven't added anything to their squad yet, but it looks like they're confident of adding Ross Barkley at least, though I think that deal depends a lot on whether or not Everton manage to sign Sigurdsson from Swansea. Spurs have a great squad, albeit small, and were lucky to have a ready made replacement for Walker in the form of Trippier (who some will argue is a better player anyway) but now Danny Rose seems like he's keen on moving on too. Losing him would be a blow. They have Ben Davies who's backup to Rose and is a god player in his own right. Rose has matured a lot in the past couple of seasons though and would be big shoes to fill. I think they need to add more if they're to progress. If everyone stays fit then they could pose a challenge, but if they get a couple of injuries to key players then they're looking well short.

United have strengthened well and I expect us to get back into the top 4 with the squad we have. I know that Mourinho wants another wide player but I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't get that signing. Perisic is looking like more and more of a long shot and I'm still of the opinion that Inter want more money than he's worth. I'd pay £40m at most for him but I'd value him at more like £35 personally. Not the end of the world if we don't get him however as I feel that we do have enough players that can play in the wide areas.
    Lukaku will get us the goals we didn't get last season and I'm hoping that Pogpa can get some more goals this season as well as Mkhitaryan. I expect Rashford to kick on and score more this season and Martial needs to improve and get back to his first season standard too. We're apparently in talks with Zlatan to return too, ironically after AC Milan's interest has become more prominent. I think it's within our best interest for him to return to us. He's not going to be playing until January, December at the earliest, wherever he goes so why not wait for United? If we need a mid season boost then he'd be perfect. He's still at United training and recuperating from his injury so I really hope we can work something out with him to return to us when he's ready. the signing of Matic is brilliant for us, just the player we need. We can't rely on the ageing Carrick and dropping Pogpa deep didn't really work. Matic alongside Herrera should be a solid midfield for us and that releases Pogpa to go further forward. I wasn't reassured with Lindelof against Real in the Super Cup. He was at fault for both goals and so I'm not sure he should be 1st choice for us. I think Bailly alongside Jones or Rojo if the best way forward for us. Not sure where that leaves Smalling, he seems to be the outcast at this point as far as our CB's go.
    I'm not sure if we have enough to win the league, I think much depends on how Lukau gets on for us and if he can replicate and emulate the form Zlatan hit for us last season, but we should be up there in the top 4.

I like the business Arsenal have done this window though I feel that the real business is yet to be done in the form of sorting out the futures of Sanchez, Ozil and the Ox. I think Arsenal need to keep all 3 of them if they want to challenge for the title. If they do then they're in with a shout, but I think even losing any one of the 3 at this point would tip the balance in terms of whether they could pose a serious title challenge. If they manage to hold onto them then you look at their squad and think yeah, they could do something here. Playing Europa League adds more strain on the squad, though Wenger has already said I think that he's going to be playing fringe players and youngsters in that competition, so that's kind of reassuring I guess in terms of keeping the main squad fit for the League challenge, but I think Arsenal need to hold onto those key players and tie them down to new contracts. I think Ozil will sign a new deal, I've heard that he wants to stay so that's reassuring for Arsenal fans. the Ox though is wanted by Liverpool, Chelsea and City and if a suitable bid comes in Wenger may be tempted to sell. I feel that he really came into his own last season though and started to show some real promise. It's amazing that he's still only 23, feels like he's been around forever. Sanchez is the real worry though. If he wants to go and has already decided that he wants to go then Arsenal should cash in I think and then reinvest before it's too late to do that. If he's undecided then Wenger needs to convince him to stay and then he needs to work hard to convince him to sign a new contract. If he stays then Wenger has one season to mount some sort of title challenge and he needs to make it work. If Arsenal have a strong enough campaign, finish second and then win a cup, then perhaps that will be enough to convince Sanchez to sign on.
    I'm torn on the signing of Kolasinac. He has a good look and comes highly recommend, but he looked a little clumsy at times int he Community Shield game. I think he just needs a little time to settle but I can see him bcoming into his own sooner rather than later. Players from that area of the world tend to do well in the PL on the whole. One bit of business they've done which looks good is the signing of Lacazette. He's a great signing I think. He has pace, power and he's a different option to Giroud (who will still have an important role to play, and he's another player they need to keep). The potential link up with Sanchez, Ozil, Walcott. There's real potential for Arsenal to be lethal going forward next season I think, like the Arsenal of the 2000's perhaps.
    I could see Arsenal getting back into the top 4, they've added good players to the squad, but it now all hinges of if they can keep Sanchez, Ozil, Ox, Giroud. If they do, then they're in with a should of doing well I think.

Liverpool haven't done enough to add to their squad yet IMO. I could see them really struggling unless they do some serious business in the window. The rest of the top teams have all added and strengthened, they have not. Solanke looks like he'll be a good signing but they need a CB and they need something in midfield. they've failed with signing Naby Keita and Va Dijk doesn't look promising either, especially with Chelsea and apparently City prowling now too, both of which would easily outbid Liverpool. The other problem is the Coutinho situation. If Liverpool lose him (which I'm pretty confident they will) then it will be very difficult to replace him with a player anywhere near as good as he is. As an individual he's fantastic but he's also proven to work well with the players Liverpool have, especially Firmino.
    At the moment Liverpool would easily fall out of the top 4 and I don't see them going far in the Champions League either.

Everton have done some decent business IMO. I don't see them being title challengers and they're very much underdogs to break into the top 4, but I could see them improving on last seasons finish. If they manage to get Sigurdsson in that would be a great signing, despite the hefty price tag. They also need a striker I feel as they will miss Lukaku's goals.
    Last edited by Tommy Thunder; 08-10-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Brighton will go down, they have no quality prem worthy other then Davy propper.
    Proper Prem player, that Davey.

Not excited for kickoff on Friday. I'm expecting typical Arsenal opening day, which means a draw at a best. Won't help that we are going to miss some key players.

People's Champion

Status

Title was heading to Manchester last year too!! I like how that turned out.

We might have lost Matic and Costa but what else have we dropped. Bakayoko will be an asset to us once he gets going. And we still have in my opinion four players to come in. A RWB, CM, LWB and another attacking player.

For the outgoings we have replaced well. Terry and Zouma have been replaced with Rudiger and Christensen. If we end up signing another CB then we are even stronger in that department.

Bakayoko replaces Matic whilst I'm certain another CM will come in to take up Chalobah's 4th choice CM role.

Morata and Batshuayi will get us Costa's goals in my opinion. Basing Morata off half hour against Arsenal isn't really suitable and I'm certain he will come good. I'm not sure Solanke was worth keeping as he had problems waiting for his chance when we already had Costa and Batshuayi. I think Tammy Abraham is a better long term prospect (who will undoubtedly get sold to a mid table side in the next few years)

At the moment I'd place the league as

1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. United
    4. Spurs
    5. Arsenal
    6. Liverpool
    7. Everton

A lot depends on whether Chelsea buy more, Liverpool retaining Coutinho/replacing Coutinho, Arsenal holding onto Sanchez and Spurs strengthening their squad.

The only team I look at and think you can say how they will perform right now is United as their squad strengthening looks almost complete.

Swansea and Burnley for the drop with one of Huddersfield, West Brom (Sorry Ed) Newcastle (Sorry Shock, not sorry Nash) and Stoke in the mix. I think Brighton will be fine.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Proper Prem player, that Davey.

Not excited for kickoff on Friday. I'm expecting typical Arsenal opening day, which means a draw at a best. Won't help that we are going to miss some key players.
    I mean that he is good enough to play in the prem, he is not a bad player. He is midtable quality wheras the Brighton players are not.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I mean that he is good enough to play in the prem, he is not a bad player. He is midtable quality wheras the Brighton players are not.
    Oh, I agree. I've liked Propper since he was at Vitesse. He did pretty well at PSV and I was bit surprised they let him move.

Not sure on the quality of rest of Brighton's squad. I follow the Championship but watch very little. I have read/heard a few people argue they might be better than people think but I'm not convinced.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I think Brighton will be too open to stay up. They may cause some problems upfront but defensively they're going to struggle.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

It's been a long, long wait but at last Premier League football is back.

Team news for Arsenal. Ozil is fit to start, Ramsey on the bench. Lacazette and Kolasinac make their competitive debuts.

Arsenal XI: Cech, Holding, Monreal, Elneny, Bellerin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Ozil, Lacazette, Welbeck

Subs: Giroud, Ramsey, Walcott, Ospina, Iwobi, Mustafi, Coquelin

Good line up, hopefully we start the season off with a win. COYG!!!

Status

I just don't think Lacazette is going to be able to score in the Prem. Just don't see it...

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status

early goal for both teams. Both headers, great start to the season

Olympic Hero Smod

Status

2-2 at half time. What did I miss?!

Thread Information