Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

  1. #1

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    16,618
    Rep Power
    666798
      Country                    Jamaica

    UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION



    UFC 214 PPV Main Event:
    205 lbs.: UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones (estimated 12 a.m. ET start time)

    UFC 214 PPV Co-Main Event:
    170 lbs.: UFC Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley vs. Demian Maia

    UFC 214 Main Card (10 p.m. ET):
    145 lbs.: Cristiane Justino vs. Tonya Evinger for vacant women’s Featherweight title
    170 lbs.: Donald Cerrone vs. Robbie Lawler
    205 lbs.: Jimi Manuwa vs. Volkan Oezdemir

    UFC 214 Prelims on FXX (8 p.m. ET):
    145 lbs.: Jason Knight vs. Ricardo Lamas
    140 lbs.: Renan Barao vs. Aljamain Sterling
    145 lbs.: Renato Moicano vs. Brian Ortega
    145 lbs.: Andre Fili vs. Calvin Kattar

    UFC 214 Prelims on Fight Pass (6:30 p.m. ET):
    115 lbs.: Alexandra Albu vs. Kailin Curran
    125 lbs.: Jarred Brooks vs. Eric Shelton
    155 lbs.: Josh Burkman vs. Drew Dober


    ----


    Haven't made a discussion thread in a while but this is a big ass event so thought it'd be best. Hoping to see Cormier stiffen Jones up for the lulz. GSP fighting the winner of Woodley/Maia also. Some great fights tonight. Stacked ass card.


    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  2. #2
    Fearless University
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    51161
      Country                    New Zealand

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Fuck Woodley is so horrifically boring.

    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


  3. #3
    Sangre por Sangre
    Sadio HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Myōboku
    Posts
    32,834
    Rep Power
    373494
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Yeah that bout was a snoozefest. I hope George St.Pierre beats him and takes away his title!

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

  4. #4

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    16,618
    Rep Power
    666798
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    yeah... Woodley was boring tonight but he had to be. No way is he going to commit to striking with Maia and going wild when he has to keep hands super low to stuff takedowns. Maia just didn't throw enough to get him thinking about anything else. I wish Maia would throw more kicks. It is what it is.

    Been a really good card overall, though.


    Fuckkk man. Come on DC.


    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  5. #5
    Sangre por Sangre
    Sadio HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Myōboku
    Posts
    32,834
    Rep Power
    373494
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Man that was a close R1, early on I saw Jones winning it and DC made a comeback later in the round. That round could go either way with the Judges.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

  6. #6

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    16,618
    Rep Power
    666798
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Cormier's round IMO. Landed better strikes. More aggressive too. TD meant nothing. DC just has to get closer.


    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  7. #7
    Sangre por Sangre
    Sadio HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Myōboku
    Posts
    32,834
    Rep Power
    373494
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Lock it in win for Round 2 for DC, Jones barely did anything in that round.

    Like in Boxing if you have that one Arm out there to keep DC at a distance he could turn that into Jab to set up another big shot, but it seems he's not that type of fighter.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

  8. #8
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20,946
    Rep Power
    221407
      Country                    United States

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Jones has outlanded him both rounds but DC has been the aggressor plus the fact that he is champ probably gives both rounds to him.

    Hurrah for the flag of the free!
    May it wave as our standard forever,
    The gem of the land and the sea,
    The banner of the right.
    Let tyrants remember the day
    When our fathers with mighty endeavor
    Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
    That by their might and by their right
    It waves forever.

  9. #9

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    16,618
    Rep Power
    666798
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Lock it in win for Round 2 for DC, Jones barely did anything in that round.

    Like in Boxing if you have that one Arm out there to keep DC at a distance he could turn that into Jab to set up another big shot, but it seems he's not that type of fighter.
    I gave him round 2 as well but doesn't matter now. Pretty gutted. DC just got caught but Jones deserves it for pouncing on him and outlasting him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    Jones has outlanded him both rounds but DC has been the aggressor plus the fact that he is champ probably gives both rounds to him.
    Literally not a part of the scoring criteria.


    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  10. #10
    Sangre por Sangre
    Sadio HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Myōboku
    Posts
    32,834
    Rep Power
    373494
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    DC on dream street and they want him to over to the Referee come on.

    DC walks away like the heel! I mean I get the hate on Jones, but DC for real you put you to sleep that isn't a champion in my eyes.

    Wait maybe he left the Octagon to get looked at quicker?

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

  11. #11
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20,946
    Rep Power
    221407
      Country                    United States

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    I gave him round 2 as well but doesn't matter now. Pretty gutted. DC just got caught but Jones deserves it for pouncing on him and outlasting him.



    Literally not a part of the scoring criteria.
    I never said it was but it is a well known fact that judges typically give it to the champ if it is questionable. Argue all you want but it is fact.

    And Cormier just got pwned.

    Hurrah for the flag of the free!
    May it wave as our standard forever,
    The gem of the land and the sea,
    The banner of the right.
    Let tyrants remember the day
    When our fathers with mighty endeavor
    Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
    That by their might and by their right
    It waves forever.

  12. #12
    Sangre por Sangre
    Sadio HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Myōboku
    Posts
    32,834
    Rep Power
    373494
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    DC goes from being a heel to a face in one interview. DC the UFC Big Show?

    Jones calling out Brock Lesnar, no no don't wake up that Monster he's sleeping after killing a prey tonight in the Jungle.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

  13. #13

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    16,618
    Rep Power
    666798
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    I never said it was but it is a well known fact that judges typically give it to the champ if it is questionable. Argue all you want but it is fact.

    And Cormier just got pwned.
    Dude, you watch barely any MMA But if you say so...


    ---


    Jones calling out Lesnar. Interesting. And I'd pick Jones btw.


    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  14. #14
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20,946
    Rep Power
    221407
      Country                    United States

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Dude, you watch barely any MMA But if you say so...


    ---


    Jones calling out Lesnar. Interesting.
    I've probably watched more MMA than you. Just because I haven't kept up recently doesn't mean I don't know that close rounds have been historically given to the champ. Any MMA fan knows that. It's kind of a thing.

    Hurrah for the flag of the free!
    May it wave as our standard forever,
    The gem of the land and the sea,
    The banner of the right.
    Let tyrants remember the day
    When our fathers with mighty endeavor
    Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
    That by their might and by their right
    It waves forever.

  15. #15

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    16,618
    Rep Power
    666798
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    I've probably watched more MMA than you. Just because I haven't kept up recently doesn't mean I don't know that close rounds have been historically given to the champ. Any MMA fan knows that. It's kind of a thing.
    No you haven't. Not like it matters

    It's not a 'thing'. And you were insinuating they get given a round because they are the champ. I'm not disputing close rounds being given to the champ, historically. I'm disputing the idea that judges just award close rounds to the champion based on them being the champion and nothing else. This shit ain't boxing.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 07-30-2017 at 01:18 AM.


    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  16. #16
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20,946
    Rep Power
    221407
      Country                    United States

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    No you haven't. Not like it matters
    Dude you know nothing about my past with MMA. Don't talk out of your ass.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    It's not a 'thing'. And you were insinuating they get given a round because they are the champ. I'm not disputing close rounds being given to the champ, historically. I'm disputing the idea that judges just award close rounds to the champion based on them being the champion and nothing else.
    And I never said that so you had no reason to even suggest that.

    I said Cormier was the aggressor, the round was close, and the fact that he is the champ gives him the edge.

    If it HAD went to decision.

    And yes it most certainly IS a thing because it was a huge deal a while back when a belt changed hands via decision.......because the Judges typically call close rounds for the Champ.....exactly like I said.

    Hurrah for the flag of the free!
    May it wave as our standard forever,
    The gem of the land and the sea,
    The banner of the right.
    Let tyrants remember the day
    When our fathers with mighty endeavor
    Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
    That by their might and by their right
    It waves forever.

  17. #17

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    16,618
    Rep Power
    666798
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    Dude you know nothing about my past with MMA. Don't talk out of your ass.



    And I never said that so you had no reason to even suggest that.

    I said Cormier was the aggressor, the round was close, and the fact that he is the champ gives him the edge.

    If it HAD went to decision.

    And yes it most certainly IS a thing because it was a huge deal a while back when a belt changed hands via decision.......because the Judges typically call close rounds for the Champ.....exactly like I said.
    And you don't know anything about mine so maybe you shouldn't talk out of your ass first eh?

    Your implication was that Cormier being champ was the deciding factor in who won the rounds, ergo, the judges decide he is the winner of the round based on him being the champion. Champions do not get close decision bias.

    How far back are we talking here? Because I don't remember it ever being a massive deal. I remember the title changing hands being a massive deal. Not it being by decision, though. Not even when Couture beat Ortiz. There are plenty of examples of the belt changing hands on close decisions. How many close title fight decisions can you tell me there are anyway? The last one I can even remember going that far back was Rampage vs Forrest. And that went to the challenger.

    Edit: and looking up to see that the first time judges were used in a title fight, the belt changed hands via split decision Actually, a whole bunch of title fights that went to decision ended up with the belt switching hands. Just what era of the UFC are you speaking about bruv?
    Last edited by RainShaker; 07-30-2017 at 01:55 AM.


    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  18. #18
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20,946
    Rep Power
    221407
      Country                    United States

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    And you don't know anything about mine so maybe you shouldn't talk out of your ass first eh?
    Dude you started the shit by saying I barely watching MMA *laughy face*

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Your implication was that Cormier being champ was the deciding factor in who won the rounds, ergo, the judges decide he is the winner of the round based on him being the champion. Champions do not get close decision bias.
    No my implication was that if it went to decision Cormier would more than likely get the nod on close rounds because he is champ. You might not have taken it that way but that is what the intention was.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    How far back are we talking here? Because I don't remember it ever being a massive deal. I remember the title changing hands being a massive deal. Not it being by decision, though. Not even when Couture beat Ortiz. There are plenty of examples of the belt changing hands on close decisions. How many close title fight decisions can you tell me there are anyway? The last one I can even remember going that far back was Rampage vs Forrest. And that went to the challenger.
    I believe the one to which I was referring was UFC 181 where Lawler beat Hendricks by split decision to become champ.

    Hurrah for the flag of the free!
    May it wave as our standard forever,
    The gem of the land and the sea,
    The banner of the right.
    Let tyrants remember the day
    When our fathers with mighty endeavor
    Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
    That by their might and by their right
    It waves forever.

  19. #19

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    16,618
    Rep Power
    666798
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    That's cause you barely watch MMA. You've admitted that yourself, haven't you? Many times you have told me in the SB that you hate seeing little guys and women fight and you just want big dudes with muscles to pound on each other? Yeah I get it, you used to watch it alot... but how do you know now that, historically, challengers aren't given the nod? You can't say something is a 'fact' when you don't watch enough MMA to know nowadays.

    Lawler beating Hendricks was a surprise because Hendricks was thought to have won that fight to most. Not because it was the champion losing a decision. That was a close fight. And there's many more where the challenger wins by decision. Champion bias is a complete and utter myth. Sorry, it's not my fault that you talk out of your ass most of the time with nothing to back it up.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 07-30-2017 at 02:04 AM.


    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  20. #20
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20,946
    Rep Power
    221407
      Country                    United States

    Re: UFC 214: Cormier vs Jones II - DISCUSSION

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    That's cause you barely watch MMA. You've admitted that yourself, haven't you? Many times you have told me in the SB that you hate seeing little guys and women fight and you just want big dudes with muscles to pound on each other? Yeah I get it, you used to watch it alot... but how do you know now that, historically, challengers aren't given the nod? You can't say something is a 'fact' when you don't watch enough MMA to know nowadays.

    Lawler beating Hendricks was a surprise because Hendricks was thought to have won that fight to most. Not because it was the champion losing a decision. That was a close fight. And there's many more where the challenger wins by decision. Champion bias is a complete and utter myth. Sorry, it's not my fault that you talk out of your ass most of the time with nothing to back it up.
    I have admitted that I am not enthused with the current UFC product therefore I have not watched much lately.

    That has nothing to do with me not knowing about MMA. I still keep somewhat up to date even though I don't purchase every PPV like I used to.

    Anyone here can google 'UFC 181 controversy' and read the numerous articles about why it was a controversy. It was a controversial decision because a title change was involved. That almost never happens. You claim it has happened a lot but you cite no examples. It sounds like you are the one talking out of your ass and not backing it up.

    https://www.google.com/search?site=&...k1.yh0Z0MnXQfY

    Hurrah for the flag of the free!
    May it wave as our standard forever,
    The gem of the land and the sea,
    The banner of the right.
    Let tyrants remember the day
    When our fathers with mighty endeavor
    Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
    That by their might and by their right
    It waves forever.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •