Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 158

Thread: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

  1. #21
    Die By My Hand
    Creeping Death's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Where the rainbow ends
    Posts
    13,448
    Rep Power
    169698
      Country                    United States

    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I assume its triple h vs taker x-seven next, cant think of another good match for the undertaker at wrestlemania in this time period
    Flair/Taker, Orton/Taker and the first Kane match smoke that piece of shit with the 10 minute ref bump and the crash pad. Hell, I'd rather watch Diesel/Taker than that fucking thing.
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 07-25-2017 at 12:09 PM.

    Spoiler:


  2. #22
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,641
    Rep Power
    115732

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Shock , when you say its your favourite match from London and Kidman do you only mean in WWE?

    Kidman was tearing it up in WCW and imo had way better matches with Rey. And London was killing it in ROH.

    Don't get me wrong, the No Mercy match was a great match.

  3. #23
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,081
    Rep Power
    273780

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Shock , when you say its your favourite match from London and Kidman do you only mean in WWE?

    Kidman was tearing it up in WCW and imo had way better matches with Rey. And London was killing it in ROH.

    Don't get me wrong, the No Mercy match was a great match.
    Ah yeah, definitely just for WWE. Kidman was fantastic in 1999 in WCW and I am a huge fan of early ROH Paul London.

  4. #24
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,081
    Rep Power
    273780

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    #97

    No Disqualification: Ric Flair vs. The Undertaker – WWF Wrestlemania X8

    Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.


    Why I rated it #97


    The best matches are those where you can feel the emotion of the match from the characters involved. Those who have followed my reviews will know how much I value aggression and hatred in matches, and right from the get-go these two beat the crap out of one another. No wasted motion, just brawling, and engaging brawling at that. I feel like wrestlers today need to study this match because it’s not about how many moves or whatever that you do, but it’s the reason for it. Look at the incredible superplex spot in this match – you can feel the hate from the Undertaker. It makes a simple spot something engaging and memorable. Similarly with Flair’s chops. They’re not just chops, they’re acts of defiance from Flair.

    Funnily enough this match barely even uses the No DQ rules. There’s the lead pipe, and the interference (which is fantastic by the way), but they don’t overload the match with weapon shots and smoke and mirrors.

    I love the story told here, where Flair was totally outmatched. But because he’s Ric Fucking Flair, despite being bloodied and dominated, he stays in the match by being crafty and fired up. Turning heel was the best thing that could have happened to Undertaker because it allowed his character work to thrive after a couple of years of stagnation. The personality he shows in this match is excellent.


    What is the legacy of this match?

    I am not a particular fan of biker Taker as a wrestler. His 2000 and 2001 were outright bad. However, following his heel turn in late 2001 he began to improve a lot as a worker again. He still wasn’t fantastic, but he was producing better matches. This is, I consider, Undertaker’s first great Wrestlemania match. He had some other good ones like the Diesel match, and the first Kane match, but this one stands out as the best until he started his incredible run following the Batista match. It’s also one of the better matches of Flair’s 2002 onwards run. This was almost a precursor to those epic old man Flair garbage matches from 2006. I think most people acknowledge this as a good, borderline great match. But the consensus seems to be that it isn't as good as the overrated Triple H match from the year before. In fact of all the Undertaker vs Evolution Wrestlemania matches, this is my second favourite behind the Batista match.


    If you liked this, you might like:

    Jeff Hardy vs. The Undertaker – WWE Raw, 24th June 2002
    The Undertaker vs. Vince McMahon – WWE Survivor Series 2003
    Mick Foley vs. Ric Flair – WWE Summerslam 2006


    #96 Teaser

    Our first HHH match (literally the first - the first great match he had in WWF)

  5. #25
    Die By My Hand
    Creeping Death's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Where the rainbow ends
    Posts
    13,448
    Rep Power
    169698
      Country                    United States

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    I love that match so much and that is without a doubt the greatest superplex ever.

    Spoiler:


  6. #26
    [Blank Space]
    Postman Dave's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Amestris
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    183797
      Country                    UK

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Shout out to the awesome Arn Anderson run in in that match



  7. #27
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,081
    Rep Power
    273780

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    #96

    Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Marc Mero – WWF In Your House: Beware of Dog

    Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.



    Why I rated it #96

    I think people who follow my threads will be sick of me bringing this match up. But because I have never seen this match hyped by anyone but myself and Fuji – yet I think it’s a fantastic, fantastic match. It’s all Marc Mero’s doing too. This one is all about how clever and inventive selling can really make a match stand out. While the match itself is pretty cookie cutter, Marc Mero’s selling of his arm in this match is right up there with some of the best you are likely to see in WWE ever. It’s truly a thing of beauty because of the attention to detail. From that point, Mero’s arm is a liability – it stops him using moves, it stops him making his comebacks, and it gives the match a clear focus and story. Early into the match when Mero is able to get a quick roll up he can’t make a proper cover because his arm is fucked. Watch Mero’s reaction when HHH kicks out of a pin on Mero’s injured side. All of his mannerisms are focused the arm, and there’s no wasted motion. From there, Mero changes up all his offence so that he uses his legs instead of his arms. And in a fantastic twist, Mero goes for a high risk move and ends up messing up his leg as well as his arm.

    This was the perfect match for HHH at this point because he wasn’t a very engaging wrester until at least 1998, probably later. So all he had to do was do his generic arm work and just let Marc Mero do the rest. This is a fantastic match because of Mero. It’s probably not objectively a top 100 match, but like I said, these early placements are a great place for sentimental picks and this has been one of my favourites since it was introduced to me.


    What is the legacy of this match?

    To the general fanbase? Absolutely none. Probably of all the matches on this list, outside of maybe a couple of random Raw matches, this probably has the least amount of prominence. But for me it’s HHH’s first great match, and one of the best WWE PPV openers ever. Give it a try, honest.


    If you liked this match, you might like:


    Chris Benoit vs. Triple H – WWE No Mercy 2000
    MVP vs. Rey Mysterio – WWE Armageddon 2007
    Christian vs. Randy Orton – WWE Capitol Punishment 2011


    #95 Teaser

    We're staying in 1996 and with the Kliq, with the earliest match on the whole countdown.

  8. #28
    Crotchety Old SMOD

    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wing Kong Exchange
    Posts
    25,125
    Rep Power
    429358
      Country                    Canada

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Flair vs. Undertaker was amazing live, the Anderson spinebuster was the second loudest pop of the night after all the Hogan/Rock shenanigans.

    I'll always take a moment to tell anyone that'll listen how excellent Mero's selling is in that HHH match. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it before.


    Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

    Help decide WC's Fave Five Star Wars Characters~!

    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!








  9. #29

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    I don't think I've ever actually watched this match. Their rematch at In Your House: It's Time in December was pretty decent despite being nothing more than a means to advance the Goldust/Triple H new program.

    I'll never understand why some inside of the WWE considered Mero to be a bad worker. In Mick Foley's first book, he talked about vetoing a Wrestlemania 13 match against Mero (I doubt Foley is right with the time period) before apparently Mero was just that awful. Mero was just coming off of his best year in WCW where he somehow got a couple of good matches out of DDP, something that Page wasn't having yet. In Mero's first year with the WWE, he produced two good PPV matches with Steve Austin and there was potential for Mero to be greater, but they quickly gave up on him and it made his matches feel a bit pointless.

  10. #30
    One Batch, Two Batch
    RaiZ-R's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,364
    Rep Power
    91428

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Hart vs. Shamrock was fun, short match to watch; dumb finish but very enjoyable nonetheless.

    Never understood how caring about his opponents well being turned Kidman heel, always sympathised with him over London and the fans... right up until the promo after the match and the exclaimation point that followed anyway.

    I always had a soft spot for Test, he was a multiple time world champion when I used to BTB my own shows on the No Mercy N64 game. That ref bump was brutal. You're right about this match being the perfect use of Shane - his offence is all stunts and cheats and the only reason he stays in it for as long as he does is the others around him. It's basically 4 on 1 for a large portion of it... meanwhile, these days he's hanging with AJ and Taker, which makes zero sense.

    Watching it at the time, I hated Flair/Taker. It was just two old dudes not doing flips and exciting stuff. My tastes have changed over the years and it absolutely holds up far better than I would've expected back then, which is also true of the Flair/Foley match you mentioned. I was far too harsh on it originally.

    Is that the right video you posted for Mero vs. Helmsley? There's an ad break so that's definitely not from a PPV. It's from an episode of superstars. I've always enjoyed Mero though.

  11. #31

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    Never understood how caring about his opponents well being turned Kidman heel, always sympathised with him over London and the fans... right up until the promo after the match and the exclaimation point that followed anyway.
    I saw it as this. Kidman accidentally injured the scumbag, Chavo Guerrero. That got in his head and not only later cost Kidman/London the tag titles, but multiple other matches all because Kidman couldn't fix his head. Yet, Kidman kept wrestling and even attempting the Shooting Star Press, which at some point the logical thing to do would be to come up with a new move. London tried using some tough love with Kidman, but all that got London was a chair to the back prior to No Mercy. So if you're Paul London, you had your first taste of WWE gold taken away from you all because your BFF could not get past the fact that wrestling is a risky business, despite being a veteran, and that an accidental injury to Chavo Guerrero, the #1 Cruiserweight heel of 2004, basically fucked up everything you had built up since coming into the WWE. That's part of the fun of that angle, you can understand both sides. For me, what makes the match so great is that it's an actual Cruiserweight division program. It's not just an issue caused by Wrestler B wanting Wrestler A's Cruiserweight Title. An actual program! Those like...never happened then!

    As crowning of an achievement as No Mercy was, Smackdown dropped the ball afterward, with Kidman not doing much before being released and London's eventual Cruiserweight Title win over Guerrero not being connected to what had happened in 2004.

    Is that the right video you posted for Mero vs. Helmsley? There's an ad break so that's definitely not from a PPV. It's from an episode of superstars. I've always enjoyed Mero though.
    I believe it's their Superstars July '96 match.

  12. #32
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,081
    Rep Power
    273780

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    My apologies, I've fixed the match in the previous post. Now all go enjoy the wonderful Mero vs HHH match.



    #95

    Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels – WWF In Your House VI: Rage In The Cage

    Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.



    Why I rated it #95

    The build to this match featured one of the more memorable angles in the early years of Raw, with the worked shoot of Michaels’ concussion at the hands of Owen Hart’s Enziguiri of death. I reallylike the story of this match. Basically Michaels doesn’t take Hart seriously at all in the early going. His showboating might seem out of place when you think that Michaels nearly had his career ended at the hands of Owen, but it wasn’t like it was an intentional attempt at ending his career, and Owen bragging about it was more annoying than anything. I think the light heartedness of the early going is great for setting it up for a dramatic twist later on in the match.

    I love Owen’s focus in this match as he works over the back and head of Michaels in equal measure. The match is solidly good with Owen putting in a lot of good work into his offence. The match really gets interesting after Owen hits Michaels with the Enziguiri once again, featuring some of the best selling you’re likely to see from Michaels. The reaction to it from everyone involved was terrific and added a whole layer of drama to a match that was otherwise more “fun” than great. The finishing stretch is a lot of fun with a whole bunch of counters and clever wrestling that wasn’t common at the time.

    Overall this match just flies by, and it’s two fantastic wrestlers putting together a fun match with different stories, ebbs and flows throughout.


    What is the legacy of this match?

    It’s one of Owen’s better PPV matches, but in terms of how memorable this match is it definitely takes a back seat to most of Shawn’s 1996 efforts. Sandwiched between a Rumble win and the ironman match, this one does get forgotten about. Michaels’ matches with Owen are barely talked about in comparison to the Bret matches (Montreal, Wrestlemania and Survivor Series 92 in particular). Despite that, I think that the few matches that Michaels and Owen had together – check out the TV match recommended below – show that they were probably a better match for each other than Bret and Michaels, whose matches I’ve never been too keen on with the exception of a couple.


    If you liked this match, you might like:

    Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels – WWF Survivor Series 1992
    Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels – WWF Raw, 12th August 1996
    Owen Hart vs. Steve Austin – WWF Summerslam 1997


    #94 Teaser:

    Sticking with the Harts, and I doubt this is the only time you will see this match pop up on this list.

  13. #33
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,081
    Rep Power
    273780

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    #94

    Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin – WWF In Your House: Revenge of the Taker
    Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.



    Why I rated it #94

    I, like almost every other wrestling fan ever, adore these two in the ring together. They are two superb, brilliant wrestlers – for me the two standout wrestlers in America in the 90’s. This is your standard Bret vs Austin goodness, and feels more similar to the Wrestlemania match in that it is a big brawl. What I like about these two brawling is that they’re two of the best punchers in wrestling history, Bret in particular had incredible punches. It makes the punch-kick nature of this match really engaging.

    This is the first match that is properly Austin babyface and Bret as the heel. Wrestlemania 13 got there eventually, but it isn’t clearly defined like this. I love the story of this match tying into the story going into it. The story is that Bret couldn’t get respect despite him beating Austin twice already, so for this match Bret isn’t focused on beating Austin because he doesn’t need to prove that. In this match he wants to end Austin permanently. That sets this one apart from previous Bret matches which will inevitably feature leg work – that is a means to getting Bret a victory, this is a means to hurting his opponent. Austin’s selling of the leg is brilliant, and this was his first truly big performance as a full-fledged babyface, and it showed that he could fill that role properly.

    They also deserve a tonne of credit for having three very, very different great matches together.You compare it to matches like CM Punk vs Cena, but those matches are all fairly similar in structure, whereas Bret and Austin had three completely different, great matches – the other two we’ll get to at a later date. Plus also check out the incredible street fight recommended below on the next episode of Raw. 1997 WWF, I love you so much! There's a reason why it's my all time favourite year in the company.

    My only issue with this match is a tepid crowd, which hurts the big feel of the match and makes it feel almost less violent than it probably was. Plus the finish is a bit weak too, but I think the post match more than makes up for it.


    What is the legacy of this match?

    I think that a lot of people may see those wrestlers pop up at this stage in the countdown and have a double take about it. This is the third match in their trilogy of matches, and it’s almost like the Godfather 3 of the trilogy. It’s still good, but it doesn’t get talked about nearly in comparison to the predecessors, which are absolutely incredible (and I think one of them is what most people think will be the top match in this countdown). Unfortunately this match doesn't really get talked up all that much, but I've always enjoyed it a lot and appreciate it for what it is.


    If you liked this match, you might like

    Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin – WWF Wrestlemania 13
    Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin – WWF Raw, 21st April 1997
    Bret Hart vs. The Undertaker – WWF Summerslam 1997


    #93 Teaser:

    You've heard me rant about how much I love 1997 WWF. Now let's listen to me rant about how amazing 2004 Raw is.

  14. #34
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,081
    Rep Power
    273780

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    #93

    Elimination Match: Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho & Edge vs. Batista, Randy Orton & Ric Flair – WWE Raw, June 14th 2004

    Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.



    Why I rated it #93

    In truth, there’s a lot of matches from 2004 Raw that could have been on my list. For anyone ever looking for a good part of WWE to watch on the Network, 2004 Raw is one of my absolute favourites. And a key reason for this is Evolution and their opponents throughout the first six months of the year (Benoit and Michaels in particular, but also Jericho, Edge, Shelton Benjamin and even Tajiri). Like a lot of 2004 Raw, the show was built around one extended main event that is given a generous amount of time and involving terrific main event wrestlers.

    Watching these back, and honestly I think there’s a very good argument that 2004 is Randy Orton’s best year as a wrestler. Lots of people would point to 2011, but there’s something about 2004 Orton that is just so good, probably because it feels like he’s trying incredibly hard at everything. He puts a lot of personality into this match like he did for most of the year.

    What I liked about this is the length of the match meant that every wrestler got a chance to shine in the match. This is one of the longest episodes of Raw ever, I believe because this match basically kicks start right at the end of the show, meaning the 28 minutes that follows are all part of the overrun. There’s not a guy in the match that doesn’t feel memorable to the match – even Batista’s short appearance in the match has him dominating the babyfaces before going down to three finishers. Even Flair, whose offence was basically just chops at this point, is extremely engaging in all his mannerisms. It being an elimination match, it was also well booked in that it furthered two feuds (HHH and Benoit, Edge and Orton), kickstarted another (Batista and Jericho), and set up potentially for another (Orton and Benoit). The wrestling is pretty fantastic and for a 30 minute match it never once drags on or becomes dull. The good booking for the match makes it an easy inclusion to the list.


    What is the legacy of this match?

    In a lot of circles, 2004 Raw is seen as one of the best eras of Raw ever in terms of in-ring quality, and this is a perfect example of why. One of the best Raw matches of the year and some would argue that it’s one of the best in Raw history (it made our list of top Raw matches on this forum). 2004 was a banner year for Evolution after a terrible 2003, but unsurprisingly changing your opponents from Kevin Nash, Goldberg, Kane and Booker T to Jericho, Michaels, and Benoit is going to improve your matches. There’s so many of these sorts of matches to go through and they’re all worth watching – and I wonder if there will be any more to come later on?


    If you liked this, you might like:

    Team Bischoff vs Team Austin – WWE Survivor Series 2003
    Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho & Edge vs. Evolution – WWE Raw, 2nd August 2004
    Chris Benoit, Edge & Shawn Michaels vs. Evolution – WWE Raw, 11th October 2004


    #92 Teaser:

    MORE TV matches, this time back to 1997 featuring one of my all time favourite wrestlers. And Shawn Michaels.

  15. #35
    People's Champion
    Austerio's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,021
    Rep Power
    17687
      Country                    United States

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    I definitely agree on 2004 Raw being so damn dope, a pretty good time period

    Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

  16. #36
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,081
    Rep Power
    273780

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    #92


    Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels – WWF Raw, 11th August 1997


    Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.



    Why I rated it #92

    If you followed my last list, you’ll know how much I appreciate a good sprint match. I think there’s a lot of skill involved in packing in a lot into a short amount of time. This is a great example of a quality sprint: terrific action, fast pace, some violent spots, and two quality wrestlers facing one another.

    This is like a condensed version of their much more famous Mind Games match. It’s all about Michaels – who was returning from injury for this match – having to become more violent and intense in order to keep up with the madness of Mankind (e.g. how he gets out of the Mandible Claw on the outside). They kick the match off with some outside brawling which features both of them taking some pretty mean looking bumps. One criticism I have of the argument of Michaels being a GOAT contender is the lack of quality TV matches to his name, but he looked very motivated for this one and wanted to put on something special. I also like that he wrestles pretty heelish, which makes sense when you see where the show was going in the next few weeks. It made for a more interesting dynamic.

    Michaels and Foley had really good chemistry together. I think it’s because Michaels is best when he’s forced out of his comfort zone, like Foley and Undertaker always brought out of him. Michaels’ standard offence and his occasional goofiness wouldn’t work with Mankind, and that’s what makes this loads of fun and one of Michaels’ better TV matches.


    What is the legacy of this match?


    Actually quite a historically significant match here as it’s the debut of D-Generation X. Other than that, the match is a bit of a hidden gem as not a lot of people talk about it, but definitely check it out if you’re a fan of either man. Especially if you are a fan of their Mind Games match, this is like a miniature version of that.


    If you liked this, you might like:


    Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels – WWF In Your House: Mind Games
    Mankind vs. Steve Austin – WWF Raw, 18th November 1996
    Bray Wyatt vs. Dean Ambrose – WWE Raw, 5th January 2015


    #91 Teaser:

    The “Lex Luger title win” of the Alliance storyline.

  17. #37
    [Blank Space]
    Postman Dave's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Amestris
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    183797
      Country                    UK

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Next teaser = Angle/Austin at Unforgiven?



  18. #38
    Sky Blue Hyper Technican
    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Osaka-Jo Hall
    Posts
    2,875
    Rep Power
    84444
      Country                    Great Britain

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Next teaser = Angle/Austin at Unforgiven?
    Maybe the summerslam match where it was d q finish. Both great matches though
    RAINMAKER!!!

  19. #39
    [Blank Space]
    Postman Dave's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Amestris
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    183797
      Country                    UK

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Maybe the summerslam match where it was d q finish. Both great matches though
    Thought that, but have a feeling that's a lot further up the list

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk



  20. #40
    One Batch, Two Batch
    RaiZ-R's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,364
    Rep Power
    91428

    Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

    Hunter always manages to make me not care about him, so it's rare that I enjoy much of his stuff. The story in the Mero match is great but I failed to really start caring because it involved Hunter. I can certainly see why others with less of a bias against Trips would like it though.

    Vince's commentary really bugged me during that HBK/Owen match. If he mentioned Shawn's "Kliq" once, he mentioned it a dozen times during the first half of the match; it was just fucking irritating. Good match once I started ignoring McMahon though.

    Is it possible for Hart and Austin to have a bad match together? If it is, I haven't seen it. Although, that video did cut out before the finish... not to be that guy who shits on all your hard work.

    WrestleMania's 19 through 21 were the years that I was discovering wrestling as a social activity. I'd come to it completely on my own as a kid, seeing Jake Roberts unleash Damien on some poor jobber in the lead up to that years SummerSlam and found it mesmerising but my fandom had always struggled with my inability to access the product. I met a guy at college who rekindled my love for wrestling around WrestleMania 17/18 but we grew apart after the course finished and it had almost always just been the two of us watching together. It was then wrestling became this thing that I watched socially, and I'm talking groups of no less than eight people at a time. So I have fond memories of that couple of years, staying up late with friends, drinking, getting stoned and getting very loud and annoying the neighbours. Watching the Evolution elimination tag match brought all that flooding back because everyone involved was someone we as a group were invested in; we all loved Jericho, Edge and Benoit and we all hated Evolution (obviously) and this match invoked so many sense memories of a dark, smoke filled living room, buzzing with conversation and reactions, laughter and cheering, and the taste of Strongbow mixed with good weed. Good times man, good times. The match was pretty great too.

    Shawn really seems to enjoy working with Foley, whenever I see them in the same ring there's something different about HBK to every other time we see him in there.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •