Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

When the black man talkin

Status

Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

Chris Benoit vs. William Regal – WWE Velocity, 16th July 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAr86tIM8jY

Why I rated it #44

For people that weren’t watching at the time and only became a wrestling fan after 2007, you’d be forgiven for never hearing of this match. After all, it’s never been on a DVD, you can’t find it on the Network, and WWE won’t ever mention it for obvious reasons. But this match has become almost a cult classic of sorts.

If you’ve ever seen a Benoit vs Regal match, this is pretty much much of a muchness. It’s two tough fuckers beating the hell out of each other while exchanging holds. I love this sort of wrestling because there is a clear struggle between moves, and it feels like everything that they do is earned. I love that. And it’s quite coincidental that I’m reviewing this after Ego’s choice of Saturday Night’s Main Event because this shares a lot of similarities in the emphasis on making it seem as real as possible and making the holds feel important. At no point does it feel like they're moving from spot to spot, and the transitions in this match are really fantastic.

This match feels more violent than most WWE matches ever have, despite being just your standard C show match. Some of the more violent spots include: Regal getting busted open hard way after some nasty headbutts from Benoit; Benoit delivering some chops to the bloody head of Regal; and Regal punching Benoit in the back of the head while trying to get the Regal Stretch locked in.

Out of curiosity I would love to see what a newer fan would make of this match because it feels so different to almost anything that WWE have produced in the last 10 years. I wonder if they’d find it boring, or fail to see the hype around it.

What is the legacy of this match?

Raw, SmackDown and ... Velocity. This is the only non-Raw, non-SmackDown WWE TV match to make my list, and this appearance shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. Velocity was known for being a place to get reliably good matches every week, much like Superstars was around 2009-2012, and Main Event thereafter. But of all the C show matches, I don’t think any has a reputation as big as this match.

When I compare similar matches, I put this above their No Mercy 2006 match, about equal with the Brian Pillman Memorial match, and just below Finlay vs Benoit from Judgment Day 2006.

If you liked this match, you might like:

Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho – WWE Summerslam 2000
    Chris Benoit vs. Finlay – WWE Judgment Day 2006
    Chris Benoit vs. William Regal – WWE No Mercy 2006

#43 Teaser:

Vader gives us his best WWF performance.

Stone Pitbull

Status
      Country                    Canada

I fucking love this match. Might be my favourite TV match of all time. I had the pleasure of seeing this when it aired as I was flipping through channels.
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I'll be fine Daddy.
    BS Mafia 4 Lyfe: Dakstang Dook Duke HoHo Punk Wolf CocksDynamite Creeping Death Swamps

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Great match. He was rarely on Velocity, but Benoit had a field day when he on it.
    Last edited by Tennessee Nicky; 01-21-2018 at 08:35 PM.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

Regal is a highly underrated competitor. I've always loved his style of wrestling.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Thread Information