Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

When the black man talkin

Status

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

About a year and a half ago, I did what I consider to be my finest wrestling-related achievement with my 100 Greatest WWE Matches (2006-2016) on this forum. It was a long, painful, sometimes annoying process to narrow the list down to just 100. A lot of painful omissions were made, and a lot of controversial decisions were passed. Around 3 months ago, I started the planning for part two, this time looking from 1996 to 2005.

What I noticed about this list is that it was, in a lot of ways, a lot easier to compile a shortlist because the quantity of content from the last ten years is so much more than the ten years before it (extended Raw, an emphasis on SmackDown, more PPVs, NXT, plus the general rise in the importance of in-ring wrestling and an "indie boom"). But while compiling the shortlist was easier, I found the top places extremely difficult to pinpoint. For the first list I did, the top 10 was fairly set in stone and my number 1 didn't change often. This time, as many as eighteen matches have at some point held a place in my top 10 for this coming list. I also think that stuff like guessing the wrestler to turn up the most is much tougher this time around - last time Cena was a pretty safe bet considering his dominance on the business and him being Big Match John, but this time the more you think about it the more you struggle. While this list had a smaller shortlist, I found it much more difficult to decide if match x was better than match y. I think that's because the quantity of great matches was less. So getting to the point where the last match to drop off the list was very challenging. For those interested, this time that match was Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton from Summerslam 2004.

What has struck me when compiling this list is how much wrestling changed in such a short amount of time. Watching a match in 1996 and comparing it to one in 2005 is very striking. Some of those changes and the matches that chronicled those changes will be pointed out in this list, of course. For those that didn't follow the previous thread (go back and read it, it's good shit, if I do say so myself), I do put a lot of consideration into the legacy of matches.

I can guarantee this list will be a blast to write up, and a blast to read. There's going to be matches you might never have seen, matches you might not have considered, matches you might have forgotten, there are plenty of controversial opinions (and in fact my number 100 pick might have people saying that my list has already jumped the shark), and there's a guarantee of fantastic matches to go through.

The list will start up on Monday, and I'm really looking forward to it. Use this thread to speculate, as always. What wrestler will turn up the most? What year will be the most represented? What will get the coveted number 1 spot? What will be the biggest omission, and what will I overrate the most?

Number 100 hint: By far the shortest match on my list, and completely unlike any other match you are likely to see in this thread.

The List:
    Spoiler:

100. Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart - WWF Fully Loaded 1998
    99. Billy Kidman vs. Paul London - WWE No Mercy 2004
    98. Shane McMahon vs. Test - WWF Summerslam 1999
    97. Ric Flair vs. The Undertaker - WWF Wrestlemania X8
    96. Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Marc Mero - WWF In Your House: Beware of Dog
    95. Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels - WWF In Your House: Rage In The Cage
    94. Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - WWF In Your House: Revenge of the Taker
    93. Batista, Randy Orton & Ric Flair vs. Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho & Edge - WWE Raw, 14th June 2004
    92. Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels - WWF Raw, 11th August 1997
    91. Kurt Angle vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - WWF Unforgiven 2001
    90. Rob Van Dam vs. The Undertaker - WWF Vengeance 2001
    89. Savio Vega vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - WWF In Your House: Beware of Dog
    88. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels - WWF Survivor Series 1997
    87. Chris Benoit vs. The Rock - WWF Fully Loaded 2000
    86. Masato Tanaka vs. Mike Awesome - ECW One Night Stand 2005
    85. The Big Show vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle - WWE Vengeance 2003
    84. Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels - WWE Wrestlemania 21
    83. Chris Benoit vs. Triple H - WWF No Mercy 2000
    82. Mick Foley vs. Terry Funk - WWF Raw, 4th May 1998
    81. Chris Jericho vs. The Rock - WWF Royal Rumble 2002
    80. Booker T vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H - WWE Survivor Series 2002
    79. Cactus Jack vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley - WWF Raw, 22nd September 1997
    78. Hollywood Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock - WWF Wrestlemania X8
    77. Chris Benoit vs. Edge - WWE Raw, 4th April 2005
    76. Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Summerslam 2002
    75. Edge & Christian vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz - WWF Summerslam 2000
    74. Chris Jericho & Christian vs. Bubba Ray Dudley & Spike Dudley vs. Jeff Hardy & Rob Van Dam vs. Kane - WWE Raw, 7th October 2002
    73. Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho - WWF Judgment Day 2000
    72. Shawn Michaels vs. Shelton Benjamin - WWE Raw, 2nd May 2005
    71. Batista, Randy Orton & Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley & The Rock - WWE Wrestlemania XX
    70. Booker T, Bubba Ray Dudley, D-Von Dudley, Rob Van Dam & Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho, Christian, Mark Henry, Randy Orton & Scott Steiner - WWE Survivor Series 2003
    69. Brock Lesnar vs. The Rock - WWE Summerslam 2002
    68. Chavo Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE Great American Bash 2004
    67. Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz - WWF No Mercy 1999
    66. Kurt Angle vs. The Undertaker - WWE SmackDown, 4th September 2003
    65. The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz - WWF Royal Rumble 2000
    64. Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio - WWE SmackDown, 18th March 2004
    63. Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. Edge vs. Kurt Angle - WWE SmackDown, 5th December 2002
    62. Chris Jericho vs. Christian - WWE Raw, 10th May 2004
    61. Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle - WWE SmackDown, 18th September 2003
    60. Cactus Jack, Grandmaster Sexay, Rikishi, Rock & Scotty 2 Hotty vs. Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Triple H & X-Pac - WWF Raw, 14th February 2000
    59. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - WWF In Your House: Ground Zero
    58. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker - WWE No Mercy 2002
    57. Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle - WWE Wrestlemania 19
    56. Team Alliance vs. Team WWF - WWF Survivor Series 2001
    55. Brock Lesnar vs. Chris Benoit - WWE SmackDown, 4th December 2003
    54. Edge & Christian vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz - WWF Wrestlemania X-Seven
    53. Christian vs. Rob Van Dam - WWE Raw, 29th September 2003
    52. British Bulldog & Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels & Stone Cold Steve Austin - WWF Raw, 29th May 1997
    Last edited by Shock; 11-18-2017 at 05:09 AM.

HOSS MOD

Status

Re: The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005)

God bless you, you crazy motherfucker.

Looking forward to seeing this list.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I hope Scott steiner vs triple h is in this, not trolling I actually like the match.
    RAINMAKER!!!

Die By My Hand

Status
      Country                    United States

GET FUCKIN' HYPE

So glad you're doing a part two.

Spoiler:

I'm gonna blame the movies

Status
      Country                    Canada

Man I'm so stoked for this
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I'll be fine Daddy.
    BS Mafia 4 Lyfe: Dakstang Dook Duke HoHo Punk Wolf CocksDynamite Creeping Death Swamps

~Phenomenal~

Status
      Country                    England

I got really excited when I saw your sig yesterday. This should be really good and probably highlight some matches I've never seen. I'll play the guessing game:

Most represented wrestler - Triple H. Simply by virtue of the fact surely only Taker, Kane and Mark Henry wrestled during 1996-2005, Trips would of worked against a lot of great wrestlers and i know you're a mark for several matches of his.

Most represented year - I really don't know. 2001 at a guess.

#1 Match - Bret Vs Austin Mania 13. You love Bret, it's a historically significant match and an awesome one at that.

Biggest omission - HBK Vs Jericho WM 19, I know for sure that wouldn't make your top 1000.

Most overrated - Rock Vs Triple H Ironman.

Guess for #100 - Ultimate Warrior Vs Triple H

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I hope Scott steiner vs triple h is in this, not trolling I actually like the match.

Real excited for this Shock. Lot of matches I'm looking forward to you discussing.

Tap Tap Tap

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

One Batch, Two Batch

Status

I look forward to this. I don't think I paid any attention to the previous list so I may have to go back and take a look at that too.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I'm excited for another Shock list. Austin/Bret is my prediction too and I expect a lot from 2001 and beyond.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Yeeeeah, down for another round of this.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

THE SEQUEL

Lookin' forward to this one. A large timeframe where I don't have a lot of experience, so bound to be more than a few matches I havn't seen before. Should be fun.

Status

Dungeon Match: Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart - WWF Fully Loaded 1998

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Why I ranked it #100

Now it’s worth noting that a few of the early matches are more “sentimental” picks. I wouldn’t expect this match, nor number 99, etc to be on many people’s lists. But certainly the first few picks allow more leeway in what comes up, and to give a little love to matches that people may not have considered – and for newer fans may not have seen.

Quite simply this is a match that is unlike anything else I’ve seen in WWE before. It feels like it’s more something out of an actual fight between two legitimate athletes that don’t like each other. In a lot of ways this feels very cutting edge and about as close to “worked MMA” as you can get. Now that might sound fairly boring, but there’s enough “WWE-ness” to give it more intrigue. The throws into the walls, hurricanranas, using the ceiling as a weapon all add to the match positively. It’s like watching a fascinating action movie unfold right before your eyes. If you think that people invading others’ homes in WWE are always bad (e.g. Bray vs Orton house of horrors, or the New Day invading the Wyatt compound, or Triple H going to Orton’s home), I implore you give this a try.

What I like about this match is that everything feels like it would really hurt, and everything feels like it’s done with hatred. Some of the shots and bumps they were taking were outright nasty to watch. This can’t have been an easy match to plan in such a confined space but they were pretty creative with it. I do enjoy new ideas in wrestling, and to pull off such an idea so creatively was neat. The match is just shy of five minutes, which strangely I think is the ideal amount of time for it: any more and the match might have outstayed its welcome. And Owen is the absolute king of short matches.

The finish is what it is, I don’t really like it, and I don’t dislike it either.

What is the legacy of this match?

As with a lot of these early picks, they often lack any long-term legacy – hence why they might get a bit forgotten about. This one is, from what I gather, pretty much loved by everyone who has seen it, though I don’t think many would consider it in their top 100 matches of the ten years we are discussing. A lot of praise for this match and it’s used as a point of reference to how good Owen Hart is, which I can certainly agree with. I'd certainly call it my favourite Ken Shamrock match, a guy who I think was just in the complete wrong era for him anyway.

If you liked this, you might like:

123 Kid vs Owen Hart – WWE King of the Ring 1994
    Ken Shamrock vs. Steve Blackman – Summerslam 1999
    Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle – WWE Backlash 2001

#99 Teaser

There are only 2 cruiserweight matches to make the cut. This is one of them.

Status

Billy Kidman vs. Paul London – WWE No Mercy 2004

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Why I rated it #99

This is my favourite angle they’ve ever done in the Cruiserweight division. While that isn’t much of a compliment, I think that this was really cleverly done. See it kicks off with Kidman having injured Chavo Guerrero with a botched Shooting Star Press. That mentally messes with Kidman, as he no longer has the heart to wrestle his matches and hit his big move, which ends up costing him and his tag partner, Paul London, the tag team titles. It’s a simple storyline with Kidman being sympathetic while still turning him heel.

Then comes the match and it’s really fantastic. It’s fairly short, around 10 minutes, but they put in so much good storytelling into the match and lots of personality to it too. It starts off with Paul London firing up on Kidman and showing loads of aggression. No flippy moves for the sake of it, just strikes and trying to beat the crap out of Kidman, with some spectacular moves thrown in for good measure. Kidman comes back into it and becomes more focused, but his facial expressions throughout are excellent because he walks the fine line of being aggressive and remorseful. Not an easy task. Both men do a fantastic job of showing hatred and aggression in what is a division that wasn’t known for its attention to detail or intricate stories. I absolutely love the finish to the match. Kidman doesn’t want to hit the shooting star press because he knows it’s so dangerous – which allows London the chance to try one of his own. That just pisses Kidman off that London would be so reckless to use such a brutal move, so he goes all out himself. Wonderful storytelling that puts over the finisher huge.

Good wrestling and great storytelling makes this one of my personal favourites and more than deserving of a low-end placement on this list. Make sure you check out the pre-match and post-match too, for extra enjoyment.

Again, not a match that is talked up a lot – and if you asked people to name their top 100 matches of this time period, I’d wager I’d be one of the few (if not the only) people to put this match on their list. As I said in my teaser, this is one of only two matches between cruiserweights on my entire list, so I definitely old it in high regard. These are two guys that aren’t represented heavily on the list (in fact off the top of my head I think there’s only one more match involving either of these still to come), and they aren’t two guys that immediately spring to mind as having a top 100 match in this time frame. I fully expect, when people see the big matches that get omitted from this list, for this match to be one that people say "well you listed London vs Kidman but not x?"

#98 Teaser:

When I tell you that this is my favourite match of either of these guys, it might cause a stir when you realise what other matches might be omitted.

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Love that London/Kidman match.

Real shame at the time though, since WWE positioned itself to actually have a decent CW division again. The feud with these two plus Chavo's pending return for revenge against Kidman, Spike Dudley doing good things as champ & Rey obviously floating in & out as the big name star.

Of course, two months later Funaki is champion instead.

I will say that positioning these two matches next to each other shows the gulf in eras you're gonna be covering here. Seems crazy to think Owen Hart & Paul London competed in WWE within a decade of each other.

People's Champion

Status

I fucking love that match between Kidman and London. Great stuff

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

I remember watching this match at a young age, the match was amazing, the entire show was except the main event. Both these men went off the grid after a while which is a shame, London was awesome and kidman was great.
    RAINMAKER!!!

I'm gonna blame the movies

Status
      Country                    Canada

London/Kidman is a great fucking match, loved Kidman's heel run too
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I'll be fine Daddy.
    BS Mafia 4 Lyfe: Dakstang Dook Duke HoHo Punk Wolf CocksDynamite Creeping Death Swamps

Status

Street Fight: Shane McMahon vs. Test - WWF Summerslam 1999

Daily Motion

Why I rated it #98

This is my favourite Shane McMahon match. Which I think will give you all a hint to at least one of the big omissions from my list.

What I like about this is it treats Shane exactly how he should be. He’s not a wrestler, he’s not an athlete – he’s just a guy who will take risks and can survive some punishment. But he’s not a wrestler and shouldn’t have competitive matches with the likes of Test, Kane, Kurt Angle, the Undertaker, etc. That’s what I love about this. It’s logical and smartly put together. The means that Shane uses to stay in the match feel somewhat believable. It feels more like a Vince McMahon match, and that isn’t a negative because Vince got what it meant to be a non-wrestler much more than Shane.

I loved the use of the Mean Street Posse – watching Test take them apart at various points was like watching a discount version of Lesnar beating up J&J Security. I thought that the props were really clever too – unlike a standard hardcore match where there will just be a picture frame for the sake of it, here there’s a logical reason why its there. The whole match is overbooked and crazy, and a tonne of fun to watch. A perfect popcorn match with a hot crowd, and a genuine feeling of importance.

This is far better than it had any right to be, and definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it, as it has aged surprisingly well.

This is one of the first examples of crazy Shane McMahon craziness, but I think it might be the only match involving Shane where his opponent comes out of it looking better for it. This could have made Test a star if they were committed to it, but the main event scene in late 1999 was stacked and difficult to break into. Unfortunately for Test, this was probably the highlight of his career as he would meander in the midcard and never get any sort of retribution on HHH for taking his woman. Then a heel turn later, and that was that for Test as any sort of big name.

Speaking of legacy, I think this is one of the best matches of 1999. It won’t come to anyone’s surprise when I say that 1999 is by far the least represented year on this list.

If you liked this, you might like:

Shane McMahon vs. Vince McMahon – WWF Wrestlemania X-Seven
    Big Show vs. Shane McMahon – WWF Backlash 2001
    Kane vs. Shane McMahon – WWE Survivor Series 2003

#97 Teaser:

My last list was dominated by streak matches. This next match is the only one on this list.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

I assume its triple h vs taker x-seven next, cant think of another good match for the undertaker at wrestlemania in this time period
    RAINMAKER!!!

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Fun fact: Shane vs Test was legit the first match a young ditzy Smooth Jazz Wolf watched. Got a VHS of the PPV somewhere that had trouble rewinding past a certain point so it always started a minute or two before this. Ended up being my favorite match of the PPV, out of the matches I saw, that is.

Probably the best match of Shane & Test's careers. Made Test seem like a pretty big deal to overcome such numbers & weapons for love, and the addition of the glory of the Mean Street Posse to aid Shane helped soften a lot of the complains people made about Shane later on - ie a non-wrestler hanging with top wrestlers. But all analysing aside, it's just so much godamn fun. Not one dull moment, loaded with spots and moments, and with a heartwarming story too.

Yeah, young ditzy Smooth Jazz watched this match a lot back in the ol' days.
    Last edited by Smooth Jazz Wolf; 07-25-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Thread Information