Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The WWECW Rewatch Thread

LARIATOOOOOOOO

Status
      Country                    England

Ecw The WWECW Rewatch Thread

This week the WWE Network uploaded almost the entire first 3 years of WWECW (2006 launch to April 2009). Pretty huge drop of content. I've seen plenty of gifs and discussion on twitter about it, so I know I'm not the only one diving back in for some nostalgia.

So far I've watched WWE Vs ECW special, ONS 2006 and the first two episodes of the relaunch. Some random thoughts:

- Kurt Angle has been the best thing about the relaunch so far. I'm so into this refocused wrestling machine version of himself, and he might just be putting on a brave face on camera but he seems really into being on ECW and reinventing himself. On the first episode on Sci-Fi he has an enhancement match with Justin Credible that's a hoot and he wins with a chokehold which is refreshing to see. It's sad there's not much left of him to come, it's one of the bigger what ifs for me about this relaunch if Angle's shoot wrestling machine had stuck around and been a main eventer on the show

- Edge almost breaks his neck in a top rope botch with Dreamer during their match on the wwe vs ecw special. Scary spot that could of really fucked things up going forward for Edge.

- Terry Funk bleeding from his eye and being caught in barbed wire after the ONS tag match is still the greatest thing ever.

- it's so funny rewatching Cena Vs RVD and Cena is the one getting you can't wrestle chants

- They should of stopped the main roster Vs ECW feud after ONS. I know they wanted the star power for the TV launch but it's massively contributing to the feeling that only RVD, Show and Angle matter and everyone else are just roster filler (sabu being an exception). Also the warning signs are there every time Heyman does a pep talk to his locker room and it's to about 7 guys, mainly jobbers, it's such a small pool of talent.

- Sandman Vs the sports entertainment characters is about the only good use of Sandman at this point, but im sure a lot more could be achieved on these opening shows than playing up to the anti-sports entertainment crowd with shots at WWE.

- Kelly's first expose makes no sense. She struggles to take her bra off, but eventually just yanks it down and covers her tits with her hands and then it just......ends, no Knox run in. Then the next week she says that the bra stopped her performing her routine to the end and she'll show us more tonight - you could of just took your hands away dummy. Anyway the heat on Knox is amazing on episode 2, especially from some dude in the front row who is irate he missed out on boobs.

- Kevin Thorn is laughable when he shows up on screen.
    Last edited by Ed; 07-13-2017 at 06:47 AM.

THE 559

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Re: The WWECW Rewatch Thread

I'll be there for the ride Ed, recently watched ONS so just going to jump in on the first episode. Never seen much of this run so it'll be interesting to say the least.
    LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Good idea, I've watched actually the same exact things you have so far. I was going to talk about it in the random wrestling thread. Some thoughts too:

- The Foley promo from the ECW vs. WWE special is still one of my favorite promos of all time. I didn't think that it would hold up or that I'd still appreciate it because I've maybe seen it twice since it originally aired eleven years ago, but it's so intimate and did a fantastic job of selling the tag at ONS.

- I've been thinking about this a lot lately: I think Tommy Dreamer is the person I hate the most in wrestling. More than HBK or Dino Bravo or post 2014 Dolph Ziggler. I'm positive the farther I get into these rewatches, it'll be even more enforced.

- I have no issue with the use of Sandman. Even if the ECW roster was more stacked than just nine dudes, I'd still have a better time with Sandman killing bad gimmicks than him getting seriously involves in something.

- It should have been painfully obvious that The Big Show was an awful choice to join the brand. Paled in comparison to Angle. It did surprise me how people reacted to Show's reveal. In a sea full of awful ideas from the get go, this is the biggest.

- Kelly Kelly can't be proud of these segments looking back, can she? I've never bothered to read or hear any Kelly shoots since but I'd be surprised if she's not at least a bit regretful.

- Speaking of regret, I was maybe 16 or 17 when WWECW came out and that was also the year I was getting back into watching wrestling regularly. I remember thinking Kevin Thorn's appearances were intriguing and cool. Now I just want time travel to exist so I can go back in time and beat the shit out of 16 year old me for thinking such a thing and have no repercussion about any lasting damage for future me. So bad.

- Jerry Lawler vs Taz as a whole entertained me more than it should have.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Good idea, I've watched actually the same exact things you have so far. I was going to talk about it in the random wrestling thread. Some thoughts too:

- The Foley promo from the ECW vs. WWE special is still one of my favorite promos of all time. I didn't think that it would hold up or that I'd still appreciate it because I've maybe seen it twice since it originally aired eleven years ago, but it's so intimate and did a fantastic job of selling the tag at ONS.

- I've been thinking about this a lot lately: I think Tommy Dreamer is the person I hate the most in wrestling. More than HBK or Dino Bravo or post 2014 Dolph Ziggler. I'm positive the farther I get into these rewatches, it'll be even more enforced.

- I have no issue with the use of Sandman. Even if the ECW roster was more stacked than just nine dudes, I'd still have a better time with Sandman killing bad gimmicks than him getting seriously involves in something.

- It should have been painfully obvious that The Big Show was an awful choice to join the brand. Paled in comparison to Angle. It did surprise me how people reacted to Show's reveal. In a sea full of awful ideas from the get go, this is the biggest.

- Kelly Kelly can't be proud of these segments looking back, can she? I've never bothered to read or hear any Kelly shoots since but I'd be surprised if she's not at least a bit regretful.

- Speaking of regret, I was maybe 16 or 17 when WWECW came out and that was also the year I was getting back into watching wrestling regularly. I remember thinking Kevin Thorn's appearances were intriguing and cool. Now I just want time travel to exist so I can go back in time and beat the shit out of 16 year old me for thinking such a thing and have no repercussion about any lasting damage for future me. So bad.

- Jerry Lawler vs Taz as a whole entertained me more than it should have.
    I found this interesting. Not saying I completely disagree as I haven't really seen or given enough thought to Dreamer to form a strong opinion. I just never hear him brought up as someone who's hated. Care to share your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by BD22; 07-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Status

Looking forward to this. Something like this annoys me for the fact that my Canadian version of the WWE network isn't this, where I can stream whatever, but basically a stand-alone channel with a few things on repeat.

I quite enjoyed WWECW in the 2008-2010 range. At the time, it was one of my favorite aspects of the WWE and I was quite unhappy when it was cancelled. I quite sure some of it doesn't hold up like I remember it.

Also quite curious for a further explanation on Dreamer, Nicky.

When the black man talkin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Foley in 2006 was on fire in terms of promos, some of the best of his whole career (and that says a lot since he's easily top 10 greatest talkers of all time). I loved his promos during the Flair feud, for example.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Being a clumsy and terrible worker that over achieved aside, he's one of the most tactically disgusting performers I've ever seen in my life. He's made a career out of doing unnecessary bumps and cringe spots for angles or shows no one is going to remember the next day. Plus his need to make every aspect of his angles sympathetic or shocking leads to a lot of poor decision. He's just very uncomfortable to watch and because of how heavily he's portrayed in ECW he's cited as a hero for a lot of modern performers, which sucks to here because he's doing everything you shouldn't do as a performer. One of the reasons I've never bothered rewatching some shows or angles of classic ECW is just out of fear of coming across useless Dreamer cringe spots.

Im hesitant to get to the Khali feud later in 2006 because I remember him taking a lot of cringeworthy back and head bumps on shows no one was watching and later would lead to nowhere. What a fucking idiot.

Also remember TNA's ECW reunion where he decided to bleed all over his kids? The only reason I remember that was because it may have been the grossest tactic I've ever seen in wrestling.

He's just a dumb fucking idiot.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

People's Champion

Status

I'm a huge Dreamer fan. He's had some great angles and some great feuds. His character was great for the time and promotion.

Though I can understand someone finding his spots too much as far as safety, I would assume they feel that way about Foley as well. Though I find it messed up he bled on his kids....I find it equally fucked up Foley took 13 chairs shots to the head in front of his kids.

Feel The Heat

Status

The WWECW Rewatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    I'm a huge Dreamer fan. He's had some great angles and some great feuds. His character was great for the time and promotion.

Though I can understand someone finding his spots too much as far as safety, I would assume they feel that way about Foley as well. Though I find it messed up he bled on his kids....I find it equally fucked up Foley took 13 chairs shots to the head in front of his kids.
    In Mick's defense he only thought it was gonna be like five or some shit. The fact that there were eight more is on Rock.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    In Mick's defense he only thought it was gonna he like five or some shit. The fact that there were eight more is on Rock.
    The dude was handcuffed. 5 is still too many.

We can also go into all the cringe worthy spots he's done over his career. I'd even consider Dreamer and Foley the same style of wrestler. Shock and awe.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I can see why people would say the same thing about Foley and there's Foley bumps and matches that I question, have a hard time rewatching, or just not rewatch at all.

At least Foley was a great worker, though. And there is some legacy and importance to a number of his bumps during the prime of the wrestling industry.
    -------
    -------

LARIATOOOOOOOO

Status

On Dreamer, I don't hate him, but he's someone I've just never 'got'. Because I wasn't around for ECW the first time, all this he's the heart and soul of ECW gimmick just feels so forced on the guy to make up for the fact he's a bland wrestler. Is there a great Dreamer singles match? Because the stuff with Raven never left much of an impression on me.

Episode 3 and 4 thoughts:

- Episode 3 fucking rules and is the best one so far. It opens up with a super fun Sabu/Roadkill match, Knox has his debut and closes with Angle Vs RVD for a good 15 minutes which I don't believe used any weapons.

- Edge fuck off with turning up on this show

- Sandman dancing with the fat oily thong dancer dude who jerked off his cane was gold Jerry, gold. The promo from the religious nut who hated ECW on episode 4 was really good too.

- Test was probably one WWE guy too many at this point. He got you take steroids chants. The only good thing about his match was the punt of head into the crowd.

- PUNK DEBUT PROMO

- Considering they were put in a super tight spot with both RVD and Sabu, the two top original ECW guys getting busted, I think they handled the title switch as well as they could of. Heyman really played up the idea that Rob was taking on too busy a schedule and that burning the candle at both ends was gonna catch up to him, plus it finally gave us the explanation why show jumped brands. The match was eh, but in terms of getting show hated, it accomplished that with Show and Heyman having drinks thrown into them by the Philly crowd. I'm actually interested to see how their promos come off in the next few weeks. Idk if backstage at this point they knew what was going down with Kurt, but if it was considered at any point to put the belt on him that would of been another incredibly short ECW title reign.

Status

Was the oil thong guy Big Dick Johnson? If so, that is Chris DeJoseph. Who is (was?) head writer for Lucha Underground.

LARIATOOOOOOOO

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Was the oil thong guy Big Dick Johnson? If so, that is Chris DeJoseph. Who is (was?) head writer for Lucha Underground.
    Thats the chap! I believe it was the debut of that character.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Thats the chap! I believe it was the debut of that character.
    That sweaty oil hot mess gyrating around was the genesis of Matanza Cueto, Pentagon Jr, and Prince Puma.

Olympic Hero Smod

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    That sweaty oil hot mess gyrating around was the genesis of Matanza Cueto, Pentagon Jr, and Prince Puma.
    Haha what a thought

He must have a big dick

When the black man talkin

Status

The Zombie

It took about 10 minutes of the first ECW show for it to turn into a complete shitfest.

EDIT: Just finished the first episode. What a pile of shit. Call me a chauvinist, but the best part of the whole show was Kelly Kelly's ass. That's literally it. Plus watching her fail as taking off her bra.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

The only thing I remember and liked from this "ECW" show is CM Punk's debut and the ECW originals vs the New Breed. Striker and Burke could have been break out

LARIATOOOOOOOO

Status

Ric Flair is terrific in his guest appearance on episode 5. Firey promo, fearless performance against Big Show in an extreme rules title match taking tack bumps, and getting a standing ovation as he's carried to the back by medics. My favourite match so far.

Paul's promo on sacrificing RVD is pretty good too, and Sandman choosing Mike Knox as his weekly dope to cane brings together 2 of the last months smaller angles. Test still sucks.

Olympic Hero Smod

Status

On episode 2 at the moment. And boy Macho Libre was even worse than the zombie

Also what a brilliant idea to introduce Mike Knox, instant major heat because of all you boob loving men.

Thread Information