Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The WWECW Rewatch Thread

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The WWECW Rewatch Thread

To me the best match/moment of the entire history of the WWE/ECW TV show was the Van Dam vs Hardcore Holly match with Holly going through the table and getting his back sliced open, then Holly finishes the match injured. Gutsy performance by him. He deserved to have a run as ECW Champion, and would have been a better Champion than Lashley. I guess WWE really wanted use Lashley as the "Big fish in a small pond" to push him to the top instead of slowly building him up on Raw or Smackdown. Jeff Hardy would have also made a great ECW Champion sometime in '06-'07.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

For A Better WC

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    To me the best match/moment of the entire history of the WWE/ECW TV show was the Van Dam vs Hardcore Holly match with Holly going through the table and getting his back sliced open, then Holly finishes the match injured. Gutsy performance by him. He deserved to have a run as ECW Champion, and would have been a better Champion than Lashley. I guess WWE really wanted use Lashley as the "Big fish in a small pond" to push him to the top instead of slowly building him up on Raw or Smackdown. Jeff Hardy would have also made a great ECW Champion sometime in '06-'07.
    That was my favourite match of my 2006 rewatch, probably the best Holly match I've ever seen. Closely followed by Show Vs Flair extreme rules match for an insane Ric Flair performance.

Man I haven't watched another minute of this show since D2D. 11 years later and that show sucks something fierce

Curtain Jerker

Status

You're all welcome.

Status

God bless Kelly Kelly and her hilariously awful attempts at stripping.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Ooh, I'm totally joining in here! I have a pretty huge soft spot for WWECW, I don't know why. I think it's cause it gave a lot of lesser guys chances to shine - guys like Matt Hardy, my boy William Regal, and of course, Christian. I also really loved Miz and Morrison when they were tag champs, they were awesome.

I didn't really watch much of it during the first year or so, before it found its groove, but from what I've seen, it seems kind of blah. Green as hell Lashley, Big Show looking like he's about to drop dead, Kelly Kelly stripping, and roided up Test. I might have to give it a watch through on the Network though, I'm sure there's some good stuff in there, there always is. I actually have the Hammerstein episode in my queue because I've heard it's a glorious disaster. Any other recommendations from anyone here?

For A Better WC

Status

I've finished 2006 WWECW.

- I never knew there was a taped Heyman promo the episode after D2D where Heyman is crying, heartbroken that Big Show has lost the title and setting up a rematch for the title. Right to the end, Heyman was putting over Big Show so much. Show seems to be outta here by Christmas too.

- Bobby Lashley has sucked the majority of the time. His rematch with Big Show is the pits. He cuts a live ring promo talking about doing tribute for the troops and it's embarrassingly bad. The only time he's looked good is when he worked a 2 on 1 against Heyman's enforcers (bashams). I am not looking forward to Test being his next big challenger.

- Kelly Kelly sells being dumped by Mike Knox by taking about 3 weeks off. That's a nice Christmas break for her. Knox hit his finisher on her. Punk is nowhere to be seen ahahaha.

- Hardcore Holly and CM Punk have a fun little program that I'm enjoying.

- Khali and Daivari feuding with Tommy Dreamer feels like it's been going on forever, but there's elements of it I like. It's classic Tommy Dreamer getting his ass kicked and coming back for more.

- Sabu's back yay

Hello 2007.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

What I don't get about that December to Dismember match is why Sabu was taken out the match. He would have made the match much better.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    What I don't get about that December to Dismember match is why Sabu was taken out the match. He would have made the match much better.
    Safe bet is that Sabu was being punished. Had it been a normal PPV, such a significant ECW star like Hardcore Holly would have already been booked, but luckily he (and the entire rest of the ECW roster ) was free to work the main event.

For A Better WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Safe bet is that Sabu was being punished. Had it been a normal PPV, such a significant ECW star like Hardcore Holly would have already been booked, but luckily he (and the entire rest of the ECW roster ) was free to work the main event.
    In kayfabe terms it actually made a tonne of sense. Hardcore Holly was the most pushed guy NOT to be in the match, he recently aligned with Heyman, Show and Test, and Lashley stole his place in the chamber by jumping him and signing the contract first. Plus it played into the story of Heyman screwing over the older guys in favour of Big Show.

I've never seen anything reported on why Sabu specifically was taken out of the match, I just assumed it was typical Vince McMahon waking up and changing his mind as he usually does and wanting an extra heel in there for Lashley to overcome. If Sabu was punished, he wasn't punished for very long because he was on the very next episode of ECW 2 days later.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I've never seen anything reported on why Sabu specifically was taken out of the match, I just assumed it was typical Vince McMahon waking up and changing his mind as he usually does and wanting an extra heel in there for Lashley to overcome. If Sabu was punished, he wasn't punished for very long because he was on the very next episode of ECW 2 days later.
    He missed out on a PPV paycheck. That was apparently good enough for the WWE. Similar things have happened in the past. Back in 2003, Test and Stacy Keibler were late to the building one night, so the WWE replaced him with Jeff Hardy in the No Way Out 2003 match against Chris Jericho. The fact that ECW had so few wrestlers probably helped Sabu as well too.

American Ninja

Status

There is some great info on WWECW in one of my ECW history books that I have. According to that book it says that Vince Mcmahon wanted Holly in the Elimination Chamber over Sabu because he wanted more heels in the match for Lashley to overcome. Heyman wanted to use the match to set up a heel Lashley vs babyface RVD at Wrestlemania but Vince mandated that Lashely be THE face of ECW and that they use this match to set it up. The original plan that Heyman wanted was for Punk to start the match off with Big Show with Punk going over Show to build him up. Vince shot that down because he thought it would water down Lashley's win. Big Show reportedly tried to convince Vince that this was a good idea but Vince dismissed him and told him that Heyman had brain washed him. Heyman then suggested that RVD and Punk start the match off but Vince shot that down too. Vince told Heyman to "quit being so fucking negative and get with the program".
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 10-02-2017 at 04:05 PM.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

WWECW was destined to be bad from the minute that Edge and Cena was the most promoted thing on the pilot. Not too mention the Zombie stuff was just...Words can not describe. I remember being huge fan of the new generation era at the time, and with all the goofy stuff that had but the Zombie was just too much.

I was a highwayman

Status

Hope this isn't too old of a post(sorry if it is) but heyman went on record saying he wanted punk to win the title at D2D. Tap out show in the first few minutes and have punk be the top guy then. Maybe he was in character but sounds like a much better idea than what happened.

I agree with ed tho thumbs up for you and any one else that made it past D2D. That "ppv" was the main reason I stopped watching wwecw as much as I did. Even holly wasn't enough for me to watch the show lol.

Thread Information