Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The WWECW Rewatch Thread

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.
      Country                    United States

Re: The WWECW Rewatch Thread

I'm now at Test and fuck, now that I think of it, worst wrestler of 2006 candidate. Holding my breathe to watch all of his overbooked badness.

Sandman fucking rules up to this point too. It's a simple formula and it's my favorite part of these shows.

Knox isn't good at this point but some of the best booking was getting him to be overprotected. In hindsight, brilliant idea.

Joey Styles voice says "I'm happy" but his face says "please kill me".

Think I just reached the end of Angle's run and it makes me sad because this is the best Angle has been in three years it feels like up to this point. ECW should get crap for its poor out of the gate ideas, but you have to feel for the brand because their hand was forced to bring in whoever they could bring in along with the Big Show to make up for their three draws all incapacitated at the same time.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

WWE Re: The WWECW Rewatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Looking forward to this. Something like this annoys me for the fact that my Canadian version of the WWE network isn't this, where I can stream whatever, but basically a stand-alone channel with a few things on repeat.

I quite enjoyed WWECW in the 2008-2010 range. At the time, it was one of my favorite aspects of the WWE and I was quite unhappy when it was cancelled. I quite sure some of it doesn't hold up like I remember it.

Also quite curious for a further explanation on Dreamer, Nicky.
    You can actually activate online viewing if you go through your cable provider, that's what I've done. Have all the stuff the U.S. does on my laptop and iPad.

Check out Change Will Not Come If We Wait: NXT only in the WrestlingClique BTB section!

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bananas View Post
    You can actually activate online viewing if you go through your cable provider, that's what I've done. Have all the stuff the U.S. does on my laptop and iPad.
    Exactly. I didn't get the network until my provider had the internet access part working. I have my pc hooked up to my tv and sound system. Works great.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bananas View Post
    Yeah, my current cable provider didn't have that as an option. I'll have to check again.

For A Better WC

Status
      Country                    England

The best feud so far has been between Tazz and the word exhibitionist

For A Better WC

Status

I'm addicted, the shows aren't that good but at 40 minutes they are really digestible and I'm enjoying them. I just watched THE Batista/Show episode:

- Big Show sucks. He's been the main event for 5 straight episodes working longish TV hardcore matches and it's the low point of almost every episode. I look forward to Test's matches more than Shows. while I appreciate the hardcore bumps he's taking, he's too slow and ploddy and working the wrong opponents in Taker, Kane and Batista. Flair worked because Show could dominate and bully him; I would of preferred to see Show work 'easy' title matches against jobbers that he could bully and paint this idea that heyman is protecting him. Booking Show against all these big men in title matches every week while keeping Sabu away from him didn't make any sense. Joey and Tazz are at the worst when they have to overhype Big Show and his matches.

- Batista Vs Big Show is one of the best rejected matches ever. You can see how pissed off Batista and Show are working the match. Thank god Sabu came out to leave the show on a high note.

- Easy to say with hindsight, but you can tell CM Punk is gonna be a star on this show. Good promos and debut against Justin Credible.

- I'm enjoying Paul Heyman's heel turn a lot more on rewatch than I did at the time. The kiss of death on Dreamer was an awesome segment

- Kelly Kelly is the newcomer getting the most attention and airtime. It's coming off like she's the one they are trying to make a star out of

- Random ECW factoid - Mike Knox uses Sister Abigail as a finisher.

- Kevin Thorn's debut match with Nunzio is awful, but he hits this cool rope hung stunner thing that the crowd popped for and he should of used as his finisher - but he didn't.

- totally forgot Shannon Moore was in ECW.

- Balls is for sure just getting a push because Vince loves the name and it's something the fans like to chant. Garbage wrestler but he's something of an decent babyface with good facial expressions that there could be a use for.

- How do you have this small a roster and you're trying these wacky characters out and you've got nothing for Stevie Richards to do who is in good shape and could always work a character. He's been on one episode I think.

Status

I don't think its just hindsight. Punk was getting called a possible star as far back as 2002 after his IWA-MS matches with Chris Hero. So yeah, a few years later, he almost definitely had that vibe going.

So the streaming content is available now so now I can watch it on my laptop, gaming rig, or phone. Sadly, my smart TV isn't smart enough to have an WWE app available. Savagery. Anyway, the upside is that I'll be able to watch as well and I've wanted to go back and rewatch WWECW for the longest time.

Does Kelly Kelly already have the vapid, soulless expressions that would define her run as the top Diva?

When the black man talkin

Status

I don't think its just hindsight. Punk was getting called a possible star as far back as 2002 after his IWA-MS matches with Chris Hero. So yeah, a few years later, he almost definitely had that vibe going.
    Yep, though it's never been his wrestling ability which was what set him out. His promos, character work and creativity in using that is what made him a star. He was a believable, empathetic character in a time when WWE desperately needed them.

Does Kelly Kelly already have the vapid, soulless expressions that would define her run as the top Diva?
    Yes.

People's Champion

Status

So the streaming content is available now so now I can watch it on my laptop, gaming rig, or phone. Sadly, my smart TV isn't smart enough to have an WWE app available. Savagery. Anyway, the upside is that I'll be able to watch as well and I've wanted to go back and rewatch WWECW for the longest time.

Plug your laptop into your tv and uses speakers for sound

For A Better WC

Status

Think I'm up to episode 12

- Angle's done . Looks like his last televised segment was being pulled from a triple threat ladder match with RVD and Sabu for the right to challenge Show at Summerslam because of a 'groin strain' and then attacking Big Show backstage, so the storyline going forward was gonna be Angle is yet another ECW wrestler that Heyman is protecting Big Show from, leading up to an eventual match. The RVD drugs bust gets a lot of credit as a momentum killer in 2006 ECW, but Angle is the lesser talked about story. That dude was great for the brand, would of had good matches to help all these new callups out and could of been an ECW Champion the fans wouldn't reject; if he had stuck around Angle Vs Punk could of been a great feud, especially if they brought up Angle's drug abuse.

- Speaking of Angle, his match with Sabu is arguably the best match so far and a nice change of pace to see Sabu work without chair or table spots. It's a nice in-ring note to go out on. However, August is proving to be the worst of Sabu with his botches becoming more noticeable. I like the guy because whether he's good or bad, the matches are still probably the easiest thing to watch on the show. The ladder match he has with RVD is total garbage and botchamaniatastic, here's some gifs:

- Foley is fucking awesome when he has that go-home promo on Flair where he has the THREE WAY DANCE with Kelly and Melina only for Flair to show up and make him bleed. Segment was so good I had to take a detour and watch their Summerslam 2006 match for the first time - so so good.

- Since The Big Show Vs WWE guest stars weekly angle stopped, this show has been more enjoyable on the whole.

- They're debuting someone every week it feels like. Since ONS and we knew what ECW wrestlers they had we've had Punk, Knox, Thorn, Test and The Bashams (unoffically) and now we've got Hardcore Holly, Shannon Moore, Renee Dupree and Matt Striker teasing imminent debuts. That's an awful lot of newcomers for 3 months of TV.

- I have to say so far it's thumbs up in terms of protecting their new players in Punk, Thorn, Test and Knox (and especially Kelly); they're all winning matches and getting time to get their act over. Thinking about it they've done really well in presenting Sabu as a dangerous mofo that Show should be scared of (his promos are very too the point, obviously he doesn't like cutting them), RVD too has been booked well and without the drugs bust would of been even stronger and as much as I hate him right now, they're doing well by Big Show too and had three guys chasing his title in RVD, Sabu and Angle. I guess what I'm saying is booking wise there's a lot going right, and it's shocking that this booking team that's doing so well in week to week storytelling managed to book barely any matches for December to Dismember at the end of the year.

When the black man talkin

Status

Ed, I'm totally with you on wrestling machine Kurt Angle. I think it's one of the best, most underrated part of his career. He's treated as a dominant ace for the first time in his career, which is pretty remarkable considering his real life credentials. And it's one of the few times in his career that he uses actual mat wrestling in his matches. It's a shame it got cut short, but 2006 was a real good year for Angle as a whole.

I love Sabu, I think he's easily one of the most compelling wrestlers ever, and his matches are always entertaining. His spotiness and botches are endearing more than anything.

For A Better WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Ed, I'm totally with you on wrestling machine Kurt Angle. I think it's one of the best, most underrated part of his career. He's treated as a dominant ace for the first time in his career, which is pretty remarkable considering his real life credentials. And it's one of the few times in his career that he uses actual mat wrestling in his matches. It's a shame it got cut short, but 2006 was a real good year for Angle as a whole.

I love Sabu, I think he's easily one of the most compelling wrestlers ever, and his matches are always entertaining. His spotiness and botches are endearing more than anything.
    Choo choo all about the wrestling machine bandwagon.

Sabu's been a positive on these ECW shows, although they are over exposing him a little by having him wrestle every single week it feels like.

------

Watched another months worth of shows last night:

- ECW on the whole feels like it's really lacking a PPV or special episode of it's own. Feuds are just ending with non-important TV matches; Dreamer Vs Heyman has vanished, Sandman's moved onto a Striker feud, RVD's moved onto a Hardcore Holly feud. Big Show during this month has been predominantly feuding with DX to build to the Unforgiven HIAC match, which means his ECW title situation is a secondary thought; I think there was a decent chance to have a title switch at ECW's first show in Madison Square Garden against Sabu but they kept the belt on show.

- Heyman with some GOAT tier heel work on the show he wrestled Sabu in the main event, came off a lot better than when he teamed with Ryback to take on CM Punk. Once Sabu was a bloody mess, Big Show held up Sabu for Heyman to cheapshot and Heyman gleefully ran around the ring celebrating that he had Sabu's blood on his knuckles.

- Matt Striker's teacher promos are actually a great source of heat with the ECW crowds. He even has a classless shot at Steve Irwin THE DAY AFTER HE DIED by saying he's too intelligent to swim carelessly around with stingrays in the ocean. You really want to see Sandman cane that son of a bitch.

- Shannon Moore feels like the result of when middle aged guys in creative are trying to write for alternative youngsters but all they have to pull on is what the Punks from their teenage years in the 1970s look and act like. Question authority! fight the power! fuck the system! It's such a crappy gimmick and Punk rightly calls him out for being a poser in one vignette.

- Kelly Kelly has started her angle where she has the hots for CM Punk and watches his matches and it's bringing out some hilarious bad acting - even from Punk.

- Francine randomly showed up on one episode and is now feuding with Ariel - sounds like a car wreck waiting to happen.

- Renne Dupree is now wrestling and more than anyone else feels the most out of place wrestler on the show. ok, Kevin Thorn is a vampire, but it is the Sci-Fi channel and it's a totally new edgy character; Matt Striker is a teacher but his promos are tailor made for attacking ECW and it's bad morals. Renee Dupree is just a muscly frenchman that offers the show nothing.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I'm behind. I will say Test has redeemed himself by punting Head into the crowd in an episode I watched and while I haven't rewatched it yet, the RVD/Sabu ladder match is entertaining and hilariously awful.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

For A Better WC

Status

G1 Climax has stopped progression of this, plus the desire to not watch anymore Test matches, but I just finished up with October 2006:

- Hardcore Holly Vs Rob Van Dam, the one with the table spot gash, is great, one of the best matches of the shows run so far. Such a gutsy performance from Bob to power through another 10 minutes of the match with his back bleeding out like it is. I'm not sure what the plan was for Hardcore Holly going forward, but the performance here turned him babyface unexpectedly and got the crowd to accept him as an ECW roster member. He's now feuding with Test.

- The Extreme Strip Poker Episode might be the worst episode of pro wrestling you'll see this side of the turn of the century. I think this may well of been around the time poker started to be a fad, I definitely remember playing poker at college in like 2006 and on facebook, but there's not much poker on show here because Balls simplifies the rules to 'imma give you a card each, and the lowest value card is the loser and must take off an item of clothing'. I felt like I was watching a carry on film and was expecting Balls to break out a Sid James laugh as Candice Michelle had to take off her skirt because she got the 2 of spades. There was also no escape from this, every match on the show was interrupted by a split screen showing us what item of clothing was being taken off elsewhere in the studio. There's also a bizarre claim of Maria cheating at the game. God damn awful television. I cannot believe the women's revolution was only 9 years after this, feels like 90, all the girls sound brainless and have no ambitions other than taking their clothes off to get famous.

- In a move that I don't remember, ECW have a new interviewer called Rebecca who lost in the divas search. WORST. INTERVIEWER. EVER. She sounds so robotic, has no chemistry with anyone, doesn't react to anything that's said and all the men just flirt with her in her interviews.

- DECEMBER TO DISMEMBER BUILD HAS STARTED. There was a couple of weeks where RVD had to overcome obstacles to earn a title shot with Big Show, but when he finally did, Heyman made the match an extreme elimination chamber match. It's kind of hard at that point in time to not be into the idea of an Elimination Chamber match with weapons that features RVD and Sabu going after Big Show's title because that's been a theme of the last few months and Sabu doing crazy spots inside the chamber sounds must watch. What could ever go wrong with that.

- CM Punk Vs Mike Knox stuff is going along alright, decent little feud. Not sure how that wasn't penciled in for a D2D blow off match

- Sandman wants my vote at Cyber Sunday to face Umaga. Come on, how on earth did Kane win that vote. Sandman being squashed by Umaga sounds like fun. Beniot was the other option. Baffling voting.

- On the Halloween episode several members of the audience are in fancy dress, including this guy:

Punk must of pissed himself.

Olympic Hero Smod

Status

Just watched the special at the Hammerstein ballroom and boy did the crowd shit all over Big Show vs. Batista for the ECW Title in the main event. It was quite something to see. Quite enjoying remembering some of this stuff from back in the day. Punk just debuted and I quite like the story that Show is taking on someone for the title very week even if he is at his overweight plodding along stage.

One thing I've noticed which Ed said is just the sheer amount of people they have debuted or are promoting. Test, Shannon Moore, CM Punk, Kevin Thorn, Mike Knox, Kelly Kelly. And this is just nine shows in.

American Ninja

Status

I watched the first episode and was planning on watching through the whole collection but I just wasn't feeling it. I never did see any of the WWECW stuff back when it happened. This thread makes me want to watch through it all, great stuff.

Hulkamania

Status
      Country                    UK

Making my way through WWECW '06 on the network at the moment and probably will be doing for the next few months or so. It's cool to look back. I missed out on loads of ECW '07 at the time too, so I hope to bump into that and see what I missed. The excellent ONS '06 PPV aside, and the okay WWE vs. ECW head-to-head event thing to promote the ONS PPV, the first episode of ECW on Sci-Fi was pretty bad to say the least. I liked The Sandman beating on The Zombie, as it seemed like an 'ECW' thing to do, but all that aside - eh. Battle royal was awful.

As the whole show was taped before SmackDown aired, you can already tell that the show didn't suit an arena, and should've been held in an original ECW type venue like the Hammerstein Ballroom, although I doubt they'd have been impressed with episode 1 at the time lol - but at least you would've had a more passionate audience. That Kevin Thorn thing was laughable too.

For A Better WC

Status

November is in the bag, which means I'm right at D2D

- The Extreme Elimination Chamber has been built up well, but in 2 halves. The first half is all about RVD against Show and Heyman and how Rob is finally gonna take back the title he was screwed out of back in July and then the Bobby Lashley thing changed the story to the point where you know Lashley is now the favourite and creative plans have been changed. He actually got a really good reception on his debut where he took out Hardcore Holly and signed the contract, he ran through Striker on one episode and his interactions with Show have been good in terms of presenting someone that's a credible threat to Big Show. It is terribly forced though. One thing that does suck about the Extreme Elimination Chamber build is that Heyman has a promo one night where he announces what weapons are in the match, and it's a big mistake because two things he mentions are a chair and a table which just about are featured every week on this show so he's already giving away it's not gonna be that extreme.

- Anyone familiar with D2D will be aware that they pretty much announced nothing else for the show, but watching the weeks leading up to the PPV it's even more mindboggling. There's Hardys Vs MNM, but that's really a non-ECW match where we've only seen part of the build. There legitimately is nothing else going on, just enhancement matches if you're lucky. The go home show was a Hardys squash match, and then all 6 of the elimination chamber contestants having 3 one on one matches with each other. Hilariously there was a press conference for D2D that they show highlights of and I imagine didn't last very long, they appear to have cut any questions about what other matches were happening on the show

- THERE IS NO MENTION THAT CM PUNK DID A WHITEWASH AT SURVIVOR SERIES AND HAD THE COOL D-X PROMO MOMENT. Seriously wtf, he's your rising star and you don't even mention he had a big PPV win heading into the chamber.

- It's funny that the first time the Hardys teamed up again since Jeff returned to the company was randomly for ECW against the FBI. Might of been a better idea to hold off on that until the PPV itself.

- TNA fans will know that the Pope has been a commentator for years, but did you know he actually worked commentary for ECW back in 2006? When ECW hits Manchester, England in mid-November, Tazz stays at home to recover from surgery. Instead of letting Joey go vintage with calling the action on his own, they give him Burke for the night and he impresses, if nothing else he has charisma, daddy. He actually knows English slang too because he calls Kelly Kelly a tart, a slapper and a slaaaaag. His buddy, The Turkey, has to spend all night standing next to him though, they don't even give the poor sod a chair.

- Mike Knox is dead as a character. His gf wants Punk's d so bad and he can't do anything other than lose to Punk in a series of matches. Then at Survivor Series, HBK eliminated him within seconds and asks 'who was that guy?'

- Davari and Great Khali can get fucked. Not in my WWECW~!

- RVD and Holly have a rematch of their really good extreme rules match from October and it's just not as good. See:

Last edited by Ed; 08-16-2017 at 05:52 PM.

For A Better WC

Status

It has taken me 3 separate sessions to completely watch D2D.

We all know Hardys/MNM was very good and the clear match of the night. Probably went on too long, but needed to on this pay-per-view. The middle portion of the show with the unannounced matches was incredibly boring because nothing had been set up on TV. Although I did enjoy the debut of Striker's rules in his match against Balls; this rewatch is making me think Striker was really underrated as a heel, his gimmick is great in this 2006 reboot of ECW. I don't know why you build up Punk Vs Knox up so much on TV, and then Knox is wrestling mixed tag with Kevin Thorn and Ariel on the pay-per-view.

The Chamber match:
    - The stalling during this match is brilliant. Heyman's promo wastes time, it takes an age for the chamber to be lowered down, the entrances are dragged out to the point where I'm hearing parts of Hardcore Holly's entrance music that I've never heard before.
    - Sabu being removed from the Chamber match was indeed BS. He would of been a really fun addition to the match, and if part of the reason was they wanted more villains for Lashley to overcome, why was Holly eliminated before Lashley entered the match?
    - They really should of put Punk in a different match on this show if his role was going to be being the first man to be eliminated. It deflated the crowd and stupidly gives away his first defeat in ECW.
    - The Hardcore Holly elimination by Test is incredible. He eats a boot, it's obviously supposed to be the finish, ref counts to 2 and stops, Holly doesn't move and the ref calls it an elimination
    - RVD is the MVP of the match, he's the one that makes the match feel extreme. He adapts to the structure the best by jumping onto and off of the chains and the rolling thunder onto the steel, he bleeds, he takes the nutty bump off a chamber and then the big elbow drop onto the chair elimination from test.
    - Totally forgot the science lesson we learned here that a wooden table can break steel chain in Lashley's entrance
    - Lashley using the chair to protect him from the barbed wire bat is cool, but once the weapons are out of the way, this is a really flat finish despite all of Heyman's best efforts to pep talk Show into getting angry and fighting for his life.
    - The crowd actually don't reject the title switch as much as I remembered they do. They were angry for the Punk and RVD eliminations, and being ripped off of not seeing Sabu, but there are cheers for Lashley winning the match.

After seeing everything of the reboot to D2D, here's how I would of rebooked the show.

ECW Championship
    Big Show Vs Lashley

Extreme Rules
    RVD Vs Hardcore Holly (a rematch of their great Extreme Rules match, and you really wouldn't have to switch things up at all to reach this. You can make it so RVD has to win this match to earn another shot at the title)

CM Punk Vs Mike Knox (no explanation required. This has been the 2nd biggest angle on this brand after the ECW title stuff)

Strikers Rules
    The Sandman Vs Matt Striker (they had a fun little program that they could of stretched out until this show. Have Sandman chase a match with Striker who obviously ducks it and then only agrees to wrestle Sandman under his new 'Striker's Rules' and Sandman is so desperate to kick his ass he just agrees to it without knowing what the rules are. idk I think I'd have Sandman just get himself DQ'd after a few minutes of struggling to adapt to the rules and he canes Striker to pop the crowd)

Sabu Vs Test (idk why, just to get them on the card)

The debut of the Elijah Experience
    Burke and Turkey Vs FBI (hold off their debut which was the week before where they lost to the Hardys. Burke would be able to hype it up, daddy)

MNM Vs The Hardys (might as well keep this on because it was really good)

That does leave off Kevin Thorn and Tommy Dreamer who both had significant airtime during these last 5-6 months, I suppose they could have a match. That's if I had to book it with Lashley still involved. Ideally I'd rather do Show Vs RVD because that's been the theme of the last 4 months, but Lashley was the project. If Kurt Angle was still involved with the company i'd mix things around as well. I will say the Extreme Elimination Chamber was a good idea on paper that fans were interested in, so many it would of been a fun addition to Survivor Series a week or so before, you can do the title switch to Lashley on that show and it wouldn't of been as rejected.

I'm not sure if I'll keep on watching this show, although I'm completely forgetting what happens between now and when Vince McMahon wins the title off Lashley. I know what the Wrestlemania 23 match is I just don't remember how they get there.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    I'm not sure if I'll keep on watching this show, although I'm completely forgetting what happens between now and when Vince McMahon wins the title off Lashley. I know what the Wrestlemania 23 match is I just don't remember how they get there.
    I tell you what happens, you're about to hear this legendary theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijSbGVNVZ-k
    -------
    -------

Thread Information