Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Football Discussion 2017-18

Olympic Hero Smod

Status
      Country                    England

General Football Discussion 2017-18

Let's have a new thread for a new season shall we?

Who wins the Premier League? Which English side get furthest in the Champions League? And when do Newcastle get relegated?

Discuss it all here!

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Re: General Football Discussion 2017-18

Chelsea won't retain they haven't since the first jose reign. Don't kow why though. I can see city winning it but they need to sort out their defence. Spurs will struggle for a few months at Wembley then they will be better but it will be too late most likely. Arsenal have a chance if they keep Sanchez and ozil

Intercontinental Champion

Status

The first league game of the 2017/18 PL season is on Friday 11th August at 19:45pm. Arsenal at home against Leicester. Hopefully we start off the season with a win.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaro View Post
    The first league game of the 2017/18 PL season is on Friday 11th August at 19:45pm. Arsenal at home against Leicester. Hopefully we start off the season with a win.
    Vardy will have fun with an under cooked Arsenal defence
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Given how Arsenal like to start out a new season, I am bracing for a 4-0 loss. And then Wenger can say "we weren't ready" and every supporter can howl about how this happens every year and history will just repeat in an endless loop of spiraling, soul-crushing disappointment in life and the club and the very existence of life.

In other news, Per Mertesacker who is Arsenal's captain but will almost never play, will retire after this season and then take over the Arsenal academy. I reacted to this news with incredulity, but it does make some sense and he has been tipped to make a good coach or manager, so I can't complain. This is a dynamic that Wenger has avoided for years. its why former players like Henry and Viera and Pires and Bergkamp aren't with the club in some capacity. Wenger will not allow anyone around him who has the potential to challenge his authority in any way. That's a dynamic to the man that doesn't get a lot of notice. He has absolute authority at Arsenal because he spent years cultivating it.

Status

Arsenal usually have poor opening day starts but I think we'll beat Leicester.

Great opportunity for Mertesacker. Hope Mertesacker's last season as a player leads to an Arsenal title. Very unlikely but I'd be happy with a top 3 finish. Lehmann is also back in a coaching role. If Cazorla retires, we also need to find a role for him.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status

My predicted table. Let's see how I do at the end of the season

1. Man United
    2. Chelsea
    3. Man City
    4. Spurs
    5. Arsenal (depending on if they take europa seriously)
    6. Liverpool (too small of a squad for prem and cl)
    7. Everton
    8. Southampton
    9. Bournemouth
    10. West Brom
    11. Crystal Palace
    12. Watford
    13. West Ham
    14. Leicester City
    15. Swansea City
    16. Stoke City
    17. Newcastle City
    18. Burnley
    19. Huddersfield Town
    20. Brighton and Hove Albion

This is most based on the signings and the weaknesses they possess, for example man city have an amazing ATTACKING squad but they had that last season but had a bad defence and at this moment they haven't sorted out the defence, only the goalkeeper. Now the top 6 was most hard to predict so I wouldn't be suprised if I'm wrong which there is a 90% chance.

Status

I won't do a predicted table yet as there will be more transfer activity. Will wait after the Community Shield. If Sanchez stays then I can see Arsenal finishing 3rd. If he leaves then 4th. Currently I think Burnley, Brighton and Huddersfield are the faves to go down but too early to tell. Will make proper predictions once the season starts next month.

Olympic Hero Smod

Status

Yeah we usually do a thread like the week before the season and then look back at the end of the season. You've jumped the gun there

I feel confident Everton will break into the top six though.

For A Better WC

Status

Who do you see slipping out then Order?

I still think losing Lukaku's goals keeps them exactly where they are in the pecking order.

Olympic Hero Smod

Status

I think as things stand Liverpool and Arsenal are the two. Liverpool only just made fourth with no European football last season. And Arsenal have never played in the Europa League which is a whole other challenge. I think Everton go out of Europe early and benefit.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I think as things stand Liverpool and Arsenal are the two. Liverpool only just made fourth with no European football last season. And Arsenal have never played in the Europa League which is a whole other challenge. I think Everton go out of Europe early and benefit.
    I think the potential impact of Europa League on Arsenal is overplayed. Most sides that end up in the Europa League and have it impact them are often sides that don't play in Europe regularly. Its a relatively similar routine for Arsenal as past years - it just means matches in (potentially) more diverse places and on Thursday instead of Tuesday/Wednesday. Arsenal also have a relatively deep squad - depending on fitness, obviously, and sales - to cope with that better than a lot of sides do.

That said, I do think Arsenal are ripe to fall further this season and there are a multitude of reasons. Europa League could be a factor, but I just don't see it as a being a major one.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

We'll see a clear top 6 this season but i'm not sure in what order it will be in yet. I can see Chelsea having a tougher time of it this time around with having more games and less rest time, but I still expect them to finish top 4. I think Everton will do very well and could threaten the top 4 but may falter at the end. The Manchester clubs are going to be there or there abouts, and Spurs will be probably status quo. If I had to choose a top 4 at the moment i'd go with Chelsea, Spurs & the Manchester teams, no idea in what order though.

I think Huddersfield may surprise one or two and will stay up. Brighton will struggle and I think Stoke will too, as they seem to have stagnated a little bit, so they could be the team that may do surprisingly bad this season. I also think it's a big season for West Ham and they may struggle again.
    I have a plan so cunning......

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I think the potential impact of Europa League on Arsenal is overplayed. Most sides that end up in the Europa League and have it impact them are often sides that don't play in Europe regularly. Its a relatively similar routine for Arsenal as past years - it just means matches in (potentially) more diverse places and on Thursday instead of Tuesday/Wednesday. Arsenal also have a relatively deep squad - depending on fitness, obviously, and sales - to cope with that better than a lot of sides do.

That said, I do think Arsenal are ripe to fall further this season and there are a multitude of reasons. Europa League could be a factor, but I just don't see it as a being a major one.
    Um no europa will be a factor. Just look at United, it makes the squad weaker and more fatigued. And even not your opponent will most likely have more time to plan a strategy and find weaknesses. The travel will be more of a factor and time between matches will be shorter. He matches will be easier definatly but it will harm the team. Any english team besides chelsea had suffered in there league form when they got europa, Spurs for the limited games, United twice, liverpool, Southampton lost point early in the season. The quality doesn't matter in europa, it's everything else.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Um no europa will be a factor. Just look at United, it makes the squad weaker and more fatigued. And even not your opponent will most likely have more time to plan a strategy and find weaknesses. The travel will be more of a factor and time between matches will be shorter. He matches will be easier definatly but it will harm the team. Any english team besides chelsea had suffered in there league form when they got europa, Spurs for the limited games, United twice, liverpool, Southampton lost point early in the season. The quality doesn't matter in europa, it's everything else.
    Spurs form went down? They won their next game 4-0 and kept on winning. Idk what you are talking about. Liverpool didn't play any European Football, and Southampton were decent during their EL run. Again, do not know what you are talking about.

Cider 'I' Up

Status

I definitely see a much better performance in the league from United this season, might be a little ambitious to think they will win it just yet but I fully expect them to be there or there about's with 2nd or 3rd finish hopefully Lukaku will fill Ibra's place a massive center forward, really looking forward to seeing him and Rashers link up this season, could be a deadly duo for any defence in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Cyber bullying just made me 12 bucks. Sweet.
    2017 Movie Log

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Declandimi101 View Post
    Spurs form went down? They won their next game 4-0 and kept on winning. Idk what you are talking about. Liverpool didn't play any European Football, and Southampton were decent during their EL run. Again, do not know what you are talking about.
    I'm talking abou when Spurs had eurppa a few years back. Liverpool two seaosn a ago. Im using diffrent years in order to create a wide census of English clubs in europa. If you didn't see that that's your problem.

also Southampton lost 17 points in the games before and after Europa league games. And those 17 points would have overtook Everton. Now there are other facots in why they lost those points but saying that they were decent during there Europa legaue run is ignorant.
    Last edited by MC 16; 07-13-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Anyone who says that Europa League doesn't hinder performance elsewhere is kidding themselves. Unless you have a very deep squad then it's very taxing. The potential traveling to the far corners of Europe, playing on sub-par pitches, having to play on a Thursday and then potentially again just 2 days later. It all adds up. United couldn't handle it last season as we finished outside the top 4. Several other clubs over the years have struggled in a similar fashion.
    If you have a squad big enough then it's doable, but that's counting on the club giving priority to one competition over the other (Europa League or PL) and then rotating the team a lot (which can unsettle the consistence of performances). It's a tough job. We'll see how Arsenal fare. I suspect that Wenger won't play his strongest team in the Europa League until they get to the latter stages (if they get that far). Expect fringe players and youngsters to get a chance to play. I'd expect to see Giroud leading the line in the Europa League while Lacazette is 1st choice for the PL for example.

Olympic Hero Smod

Status

Not to mention if you get far in the competition you're looking at playing at least 14 extra matches. Crazy!

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status

Now I wouldn't mind that I it was the champions league but it's Europa while getting more credibility and notariety each year it's not the top cup.

Thread Information