Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: General Football Discussion 2017-18

Status

Re: General Football Discussion 2017-18

Some top level shithousery from Luis Suarez in the Uruguay-Chile Copa America match yesterday. He called for a handball when the goalkeeper used his arm to knock the ball behind and then he demanded a Chilean player be sent off for tripping a pitch invader.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

EVERYTHING IS EVIL

Status
      Country                    England

Another world cup semi for England. Another day in the life. Now for it to go tits up

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Scenes when Phil Neville wins the World Cup before many other top England managers.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Milan banned from European Football in the new season, they took a 1 year ban after FFP breaches again haha. Torino take their place.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Arsenal rant time, I guess.

So I often mention that Arsenal are poorly run. This isn't based on any one factor, but a massive assortment. It goes way beyond our indifferent owner - that doesn't make us poorly run, though it contributes because a very clear decline is happening under his watch. This isn't down to the quality in the squad, failing to win the league, failing to make the Champions League again.... its everything. And its being driven by the front office.

Swiss Ramble posted a thread this morning that blew up a bit amongst Arsenal supporters, and its worrying. Here if you want to peek. Its not necessarily new data, but SR does a nice job of breaking it down and explaining. Basically, the numbers over the past few years heavily influenced by player sales. The REALLY concerning issue is that Arsenal had commercial growth of 4m between 2015 to 2018. The other big six clubs had commercial growth between 38m to 79m. Simply put, Arsenal are falling behind. Notably Arsenal were in the CL for part of that period and won two FA Cups... yet Spurs have still closed the gap. This is largely down to the ineptitude of Ivan Gazidis who is now gone. We've seen some commercial increases since, including a new kit deal, but we aren't catching up to the other big six clubs with those.

So when it gets asked why Arsenal have only 40m to spend.... this kind of ineptitude is the root cause.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

A small addendum to that rant.... So Arsenal had some SERIOUS cash reserves about 5-8 years ago. I think they had the largest cash reserves of any club in Europe, and someone said they had more cash on hand than the rest of the Prem clubs combined. This was at the height of Wenger not really spending, even though we were past the post-stadium austerity period. Because Wenger and the club chose not to make use of that surplus, it not only didn't help us on the pitch but it also eroded the "value" of that reserve. Between skyrocking player values and the pound declining, that reserve has less meaning for the club. Except for having to pay more tax. Imagine if the club had invested in some players who were sold down the road, and that money re-invested.... Basically what Liverpool had done rather successfully. Its grating to think about....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Its probably been discussed before but I don't see a thread and its probably not worth making one.... Watched Sunderland Til I Die this weekend. Enjoyed it more than I expected. I already had respect for the supporters of the club but it really made it deeper, and its hard not to like so many of those working for the club. Chris Coleman is a good shit. It was a bit sad in the first bit as supporters and players were so eager and had belief, but well.... when you already know how the season turns out....
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So small random thing that got some attention from the football medial.... Arsenal supporters put our a statement aimed at the Kroenke's and KSE, basically ripping on them for their indifference and the decline of the club. It got quite a bit of traction and attention, with the hashtag of "We Care, Do You" getting thrown about a lot.

I know its easy to shrug it off. Almost every club has ownership that isn't ideal. And if you look outside the Premier League, there are clubs where the ownership is actively harmful to the club and doing serious damage to its long-term viability. Its all a matter of perspective. In one sense, slowly losing you place isn't the worst thing a club's fanbase can suffer.

For most Gooners, its not about investment. Or not just about that lol. Its about empty promises, lack of communication, indifference, and just.... a loss of identity. I know a lot of clubs do little things that no one but their supporters know about, but Arsenal have been that way forever. Treating people like people and with respect, and then we have KSE using takeover laws to force-purchase all remaining shares of the club, a lot which were owned by supporters for personal and non-financial reasons and the KSE can't even acknowledge it these people.

Josh Kroenke, the son of Stan, released a statement today. Basically, we just took over, lots of changes, and we need time. Okay, on the surface that makes sense. But they have had controlling interest since 2011. It was under their watch that Wenger was allowed full control with no accountability. Under their watch that Wenger had his contract extended because there was no succession planning. Under their watch that the likes of Ivan Gazidis utterly failed at their jobs, leading to current money problems, and executives who do nothing are paid millions. Under their watch that club staff had to be told this year to "cut every corner" financially to save a few pounds. Under their watch that we are somehow utterly destitute when the league is the richest its ever been and our direct "rivals" have the most spending power in football history. Under their watch that the commercial side of the club was utterly useless for years. They are ultimately accountable, even if they want to paint like a project just started and we are being impatient.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I agree with you Papa, and most of my Arsenal fan friends have said the same.

I also think it was very foolish for him to say "get excited about the transfers" or something to that nature. Because unless they pull some magic in the form of real funds from somewhere- It's going to be another false promise.

One worry for Arsenal fans was apparently they said something like- We're paying Champions League Wages, on a Europa League budget. Damn, that's not good.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    I agree with you Papa, and most of my Arsenal fan friends have said the same.

I also think it was very foolish for him to say "get excited about the transfers" or something to that nature. Because unless they pull some magic in the form of real funds from somewhere- It's going to be another false promise.

One worry for Arsenal fans was apparently they said something like- We're paying Champions League Wages, on a Europa League budget. Damn, that's not good.
    "We also must be aggressive and creative in the modern transfer market to push what's possible both on the pitch and how its evaluated in pursuit of the biggest trophies in English and European football." I didn't see anything else specifically about transfers.

Which is probably smart on his part, because there is no movement on transfers. We have brought in one player who was arranged months ago and its not clear that those currently in charge have the ability to bring a deal to a close. But transfers won't solve this. Adding Zaha or Bale or Messi would just paper over the reality of the rot that starts at the top. A transfer doesn't change that Mustafi was identified as being worth 35m, kept as a starter after constant errors, and is now unmovable because he is comfortable at the club and well-paid so we shrug and keep him. A transfer doesn't change that we allowed our two most important players to run down their contracts, having to get rid of one and massively overpay the other, and we learned out lesson by allowing another massively important player who was easily worth 50m on the open market to walk away for free. It doesn't change that we are awful at selling players - like getting 10m for the goalkeeper who played so well at Roma that he kept Liverpool's 70m GK out of the team. It doesn't change that our manager allowed us to utterly capitulate at the end of the season and throw away fourth spot, and that same manager wasn't supported in the winter window either despite obvious need due to injuries. It doesn't change that when we did actually make a situationally-smart decision and try to find a different path on the transfer market by landing one of the finest "hidden gem" scouts in Europe, we ignored him and refused to give him the job he was originally promised, instead choosing to go with the ex-Barcelona guy with the "Barcelona contacts".... which landed us one of the worst loans imaginable since we loaned the dude with a broken back. You can blame some of this stuff on Wenger, but not all of it, and really, the fault lies with those in charge and those who decided to give Wenger no oversight or accountability.

The "Champions League wages, Europa League budget" thing is true.... but also misleading. Where is the accountability for the decision-making that lead to the situation? Where is the accountability for allowing Ivan Gazidis to utterly cripple the club commercially in comparison to the other big six clubs? Why was every other big club that landed outside the Champions League for two seasons for two seasons not completely financially wrecked by it like we are? Yes, we are paying Ozil and Mkhitaryan a combined 500K per week.... but we also just lost about 350-400K in wages off the books this summer.

I really didn't want to become pessimistic post-Wenger, but that's where I am. bordering on indifference, which is probably even worse. I fully expect us to be fighting for the last Europa League spot with Leicester and Everton, and probably end up around 10th because we fold under pressure.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information