Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Impact?

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

No More Impact?

If you were a fan of TNA or Impact Wrestling, it's no more.Just a few days before the company celebrates its 15th anniversary at the Slammiversary PPV, The Tenneseean is reporting the company will be going under the Global Force Wrestling banner going forward.

"We're a global brand," Jeff Jarrett explained to the newspaper. "We have partnerships in Mexico, Japan, other places. Collectively coming together, we've combined forces and basically the rebrand final touches happen (on Sunday) at 'Slammiversary.'"

Impact Wrestling, initially titled TNA for Total Nonstop Action, was formed in June 2002 by Jeff and Jerry Jarrett as a weekly Wednesday night PPV event with no promotion beyond PPV barker channels and online promotion. The plan crashed immediately, in part due to Healthsouth, a major investor, pulling out almost immediately. Several months into its run, Panda Energy became the majority owner after the promotion's PR rep Dixie Carter, brought the idea of buying the company to her father's attention. Panda became the majority investor, eventually buying Jerry Jarrett out, leaving Jeff as a minority owner Jeff remained an owner even after resigning from the company and launching Global Force Wrestling in 2014.

Panda Energy opted to divest itself of ownership in 2015, with Impact Ventures, LLC, owned by Dixie Carter, taking over 100% of the ownership. Almost immediately, the company ran into the red after being canceled by SpikeTV. After a flirtation with selling to Billy Corgan, Carter instead sold the company to Anthem Media, which also owns the Fight Network in Canada.
    Ed Nordholm explained in the article that the decision to change the name was due in part to all the bad publicity the TNA/Impact Wrestling name has garnered in recent years as well as potential marketing partners being down on the "TNA" initials due to the obvious double entendre involved.
    The plan going forward, according to Nordholm, is to "export" GFW content to different international broadcast partners and work with those partners to create localized wrestling content with talents native to that area while also using the Fight Network's App as a hub for all of that content online.
    According to the article, the company will remain headquartered in Nashville.

Whilst I can understand them wanting to get away from the Impact/TNA name due to the recent horrible history....GFW hasn't exactly done a great deal either!
    I have a plan so cunning......

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: No More Impact?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS GARBAGE!? Impact has a more known name than GFW easily, so I don't get going to that name after you changed the name from TNA, to Impact with the Owl and all. It makes no sense why change it back then when Jarrett and company came in, to change it again? They'll need to address this Sunday, because theirs been rumors I've heard on this before hand. SO all the titles will have the GFW look, as the Impact titles that look >than GFW title by miles don't see why do this, at the last minute of all decisions with the Slammiversary PPV this Sunday. They should of done this when JJ came in, it's been what 3 months or so and they have been getting better overall, and now okay let's change our name to GFW like that won't confuse people

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Yeah none of it makes sense, so I hope it's just silly rumours. They've been putting on some very good wrestling shows of late, so whatever happens I hope that continues to be the case. Plus you go and tour India, which is ripe to be taken by a company under the Impact banner then you decide you're going to re-brand
    I have a plan so cunning......

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

So essential GFW is absorbing TNA. In name tna is officially dead but it's the still the same company.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

RIP The Impact Wrestling Section.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    RIP The Impact Wrestling Section.
    I've owned that Section for like 3 years now under the Bridge that no one visits, if Impact goes to GFW I'll do the same

I mean I rather have a unison of names like Global Force Impact, than just GFW on it's own. We will see if this Weekend we have an appearance of JJ coming out and talking about the rumors and saying what true or not.

Real Women of Genius

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I've owned that Section for like 3 years now under the Bridge that no one visits, if Impact goes to GFW I'll do the same

I mean I rather have a unison of names like Global Force Impact, than just GFW on it's own. We will see if this Weekend we have an appearance of JJ coming out and talking about the rumors and saying what true or not.
    Global force Impact Is A Good Idea

Totally eliminating the Impact Name seems a little drastic, considering that they are taking on the name of an even less successful company.

HOSS MOD

Status

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS GARBAGE!?
    Chill the fuck out, Francis.

Impact rebranding itself isn't terrible, as the company's name has a long, outstanding history of ineptitude and stupidity. While I would argue rebranding to Global Force Wrestling is about as asinine, the Truth is that at least GFW isn't a name associated with blatant idiocy...just complete and utter anonymity.

But no, this is barely worth getting upset about. The only person who deserves to get a bit angry is Ed, because this means he has to change the section name once this is made official

Backyarder

Status

Really not arsed about the change in name. Long live GFW.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    Chill the fuck out, Francis.

Impact rebranding itself isn't terrible, as the company's name has a long, outstanding history of ineptitude and stupidity. While I would argue rebranding to Global Force Wrestling is about as asinine, the Truth is that at least GFW isn't a name associated with blatant idiocy...just complete and utter anonymity.

But no, this is barely worth getting upset about. The only person who deserves to get a bit angry is Ed, because this means he has to change the section name once this is made official
    The better question I have here Cyrus what about the Owl, will they let the Owl go free? It makes no sense to rebrand your company two times within a few months, and expect people to keep joining the Conga line.

Real Women of Genius

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

The better question I have here Cyrus what about the Owl, will they let the Owl go free? It makes no sense to rebrand your company two times within a few months, and expect people to keep joining the Conga line.
    Fuck that owl
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

I'll be fine Daddy.
    I mean it sounds hot to me. Some people work at Arby's and someone people just want to fuckmurder all night whatever floats your boat

Jeff Jarrett finally got GFW a TV deal...sorta.

Jim's Favorite Threads
    Fright Fest Archives | Ask Jim |
    Horror Movie Discussion | Jim's Reviews Archive

Coming next month - TEN

On Vacation

Status

Reading the title got me hyped that TNA finally died, but... this gives me an odd satisfaction. They're so dumb that they dumped the name that was somewhat known to use the name that is much less known. I love how horrible TNA has become.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

Two years in a row Impact has had some crazy attention towards a PPV. If my memory serves me right, last year around Slammiversary their was reports that Impact might not have money to even put on the show? It was a last minute type of moment in them getting the money now we've got reports of Impact turning into GFW da hell.

Real Women of Genius

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Jeff Jarrett is the greatest con man in professional wrestling. With the first TNA/GFW working relationship, he managed to get Slammiversary 2015 to be all about him when he won a king of the mountain match against 4 men now in WWE to close the show. Then he got a GFW/TNA feud out of the deal giving him free advertisement of his brand. This time around he's gotten Anthem to purchase GFW which is the biggest flop of a promotion I've ever known and has no obvious assets, AND THEN HE MANAGED TO GET THEM TO MERGE IMPACT INTO GFW Not to mention, the infamous global force gold scam.

Cast that man in the remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

HOSS MOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Jeff Jarrett is the greatest con man in professional wrestling. With the first TNA/GFW working relationship, he managed to get Slammiversary 2015 to be all about him when he won a king of the mountain match against 4 men now in WWE to close the show. Then he got a GFW/TNA feud out of the deal giving him free advertisement of his brand. This time around he's gotten Anthem to purchase GFW which is the biggest flop of a promotion I've ever known and has no obvious assets, AND THEN HE MANAGED TO GET THEM TO MERGE IMPACT INTO GFW Not to mention, the infamous global force gold scam.

Cast that man in the remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
    Let's not buy this "Jarrett is the smartest man in wrestling" gimmick too hard, Ed. Look who he was conning.

First, it was Dixie Carter, who is easily distracted by a laser pointer if the laser pointer was in a WWE crowd circa 1996. "Oh, sugar, did you see the crowd react to that laser pointer? We gotta put it in a feud with the World Champion!"

Then, it was Anthem, who seems more than content to continue a lawsuit against the Hardys over the Broken Universe. A move that is either exceedingly petty or remarkably stupid considering that the Broken Universe is useless without the Hardys anyway.

What I'm saying is, Jeff Jarrett is the smartest man in the room only because the rest of the people in the room are so dense they make a white dwarf star look positively brilliant in comparison. Conning idiots is nothing to admire or even laugh at.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

I would have been all for it if it were a new name and they had a big buildup to a name change and big promotion planned. GFW isn't anything to get upset about, but it could have been better.

The show hasn't been bad, maybe they could set themselves up to build something halfway respectable at some point.
    C'est Magnifique~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Prince Of Joshi

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    Let's not buy this "Jarrett is the smartest man in wrestling" gimmick too hard, Ed. Look who he was conning.

First, it was Dixie Carter, who is easily distracted by a laser pointer if the laser pointer was in a WWE crowd circa 1996. "Oh, sugar, did you see the crowd react to that laser pointer? We gotta put it in a feud with the World Champion!"

Then, it was Anthem, who seems more than content to continue a lawsuit against the Hardys over the Broken Universe. A move that is either exceedingly petty or remarkably stupid considering that the Broken Universe is useless without the Hardys anyway.

What I'm saying is, Jeff Jarrett is the smartest man in the room only because the rest of the people in the room are so dense they make a white dwarf star look positively brilliant in comparison. Conning idiots is nothing to admire or even laugh at.
    A sad, but true fact. I would of thought Prichard and Dutch involved they would of been the voice of reason in all this, but they are just going along with everything to keep their jobs. Lol at the segment with Dutch talking about how they are going to get Impact back to greatness in a month or so ago.

Real Women of Genius

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    Cyprus

If this is true Jarrett wins again. His bullshit company takes over TNA, they finally hit rock bottom.

HOSS MOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by magglis View Post
    If this is true Jarrett wins again. His bullshit company takes over TNA, they finally hit rock bottom.
    Finally?

Have you not been paying any attention? This is the same company that has endured Vince Russo, Hogan's ego, and getting kicked off two networks. TNA lives on rock bottom. It's built a home on rock bottom, revels in it. You cannot get any lower than TNA has gotten unless it finally dies.

Thread Information