Thread: And The Main Event For Battleground is......

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

And The Main Event For Battleground is......

WWE is bringing the Punjabi Prison back, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources.

The plan is for WWE champion Jinder Mahal to defend the championship against Randy Orton inside the Punjabi Prison at the 7/23 Battleground PPV in Philadelphia, PA.

The Punjabi Prison, which has only been used twice before by WWE, features two cages made of Bamboo. The inner cage has a door on each side that can only be opened by a referee at the request of one of the combatants and can only remain open for "60 seconds" (allowed for the other combatant to try and prevent the escape). If all four doors are requested but are not utilized when they are open, the combatants must then climb out of the inner cage to the outside. Once combatants are within the realm of the outer cage, the only way to win is climb over and escape. That is, of course, as long as WWE Creative hasn't crafted new rules for the structure.

The Undertaker defeated The Big Show (substituting for Great Khali, who was removed due to a WWE Wellness Policy concern) in a Punjabi Prison match at the 2006 Great American Bash PPV. The bout was used again at the 2007 No Mercy PPV in a bout where Batista defeated Khali.
    As PWInsider.com reported several weeks ago in the Elite section, WWE staff had taken the Prison from the company's warehouse to clean and repair the cage for future use. There have been plans to use the Prison structure discussed on and off over the last month.

Source: Pwinsider
    Seemed like a matter of time. Shame really. thought i had seen the last of that terrible terrible match.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Re: And The Main Event For Battleground is......

Yes get the match that never drew well with bigger stars, that wil get people to watch yet another Orton/ mahal match. With that being said I always thought the concept could work if they did the kennel from hell cages without the dogs.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status
      Country                    United States

Why on earth are they drawing Orton vs Mahal out so much, anyway? Orton lost twice in a row. If he wins now, then you're just going to turn this into at least 4 main events in a row at PPVs between the same two.

Orton has felt incredibly stale to me for years...And there are much better ways to book Jinder.

And the Punjabi Prison match sucks.
    Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I broke this news yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Movie Villains~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Bad News Fuji should be your new name, then.
    Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

WWE Creative really? I had hope they would ride the ship into the Harbor, but they crashed it on purpose horrible decision. Cage Match with both guys would of been so much better to see.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Are they really just wasting whatever star power Orton still has on jindar only for John Cena to come back. Yahhhhhhhhh

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Are they really just wasting whatever star power Orton still has on jindar only for John Cena to come back. Yahhhhhhhhh
    To be fair, Orton's star power is minimal at best.

The cage within a cage thing isn't a bad idea per se but this general concept is whacky, insulting and JBL saying it was made of steel re-enforced bamboo might have been the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Also, it makes no sense... Jinder gets to pick the stipulation, having only ever beaten Orton with help from the Singh brothers and he chooses a gimmick match that is designed in a way that makes it harder for them to help him? What? Jinder picking anything but a three-on-one handicap match in his favour makes zero fucking sense.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    Also, it makes no sense... Jinder gets to pick the stipulation, having only ever beaten Orton with help from the Singh brothers and he chooses a gimmick match that is designed in a way that makes it harder for them to help him? What? Jinder picking anything but a three-on-one handicap match in his favour makes zero fucking sense.
    Yeah, right? The only sense it makes what so ever is that it's an Indian guy asking for an Indian match.

Now honestly, I think if done correctly, a cage within a cage would be pretty neat. But you'd really need to have the right participants and build for it.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vayne View Post
    Now honestly, I think if done correctly, a cage within a cage would be pretty neat. But you'd really need to have the right participants and build for it.
    Same. I think a double cage match could be fun done right.

Out of interest, is the Punjabi Prison match actually an Indian gimmick rejiggered for the WWE to use it or is it a gimmick match that they created for the Great Khali? If it's the latter then it's not even an Indian (Canadian) guy asking for an Indian tailored gimmick, it's an Indian (Canadian) asking for a vaguely insulting and possibly racially insensitive (Indian's are so poor they make their prisons out of bamboo) gimmick match that was created by Americans.

The whole thing baffles me though because even if we pretend it's an Indian gimmick and that Jinder in Indian and not Canadian, how does his Indian heritage benefit him just because the match was created by someone with that same heritage. It's so dumb on a million different levels.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

If you listen to Jinder talking in shoots, he has a very thick Canadian accent.

Not sure if it's kayfabe, but every single thing I've seen on it says that Khali himself thought it up. And I cannot find anything on it before the two in WWE.

I know it won't happen, but I'd find it a bit amusing if Khali came back and stabled with Jinder and Sign brothers, then Batista came back and kicked his ass.

But Tista sure as hell ain't coming back.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

The push into the Indian market would make a Khali return now far less shocking really. He's basically a super hero over there by all account. Having him return, even just in a heater capacity for Jinder, would probably ensure a few hundred thousand Network subscriptions in that territory; apparently though WWE TV and PPV's are all aired on a twenty-four hour delay for free on a major channel in India so this whole experiment could be for nothing in the end.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    Out of interest, is the Punjabi Prison match actually an Indian gimmick rejiggered for the WWE to use it or is it a gimmick match that they created for the Great Khali? If it's the latter then it's not even an Indian (Canadian) guy asking for an Indian tailored gimmick, it's an Indian (Canadian) asking for a vaguely insulting and possibly racially insensitive (Indian's are so poor they make their prisons out of bamboo) gimmick match that was created by Americans..
    The Punjabi Prison Match is essentially just the Kennel From Hell Match tweaked a bit to play up the Indian nationality of The Great Khali. Even then, it's more or less just an one-on-one version of the old JCP Tower of Doom match, but with the cages inside of each other since others aren't needing to enter the first cage.

On Vacation

Status

I hope history repeats itself and the person who asked for the match loses. I remember hating this match so much, and this was back when I was a super WWE fan and loved any and everything they did.

Thread Information