Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: G1 Climax 27

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: G1 Climax 27

Usually when there's these heavy discussion of "Oh Block X is stacked & Block Y sucks" I usually think that's bollocks & it usually turns out how I say it will where the opposite turns out, but not this time. Block A's way way better than B with both new guys, arguably the 3 best wrestlers in Tana/Goto/Ishii, the biggest fan favorite in YOSHI-HASHI, & big talker Naito. Was thinking the same thing that Elgin is a darkhorse because blowing Omega & Okada vs Naito would be shortsighted. You're underrating Big Mike as a wrestler though, Ed. Look at last year where he was great & carried a lot of those "day 10"s.

I don't like SANADA and his Nakajima-esque stoicness, I think by the end we'll see EVIL have the better G1. Block B could still be really good and I look forward to EVIL/SANADA most from there. A has a ton of great matches to pick from, it's gonna be tough to peg who the MVP will be. I'll say Tacos & Goto as my underdog guys to be consistently great.

Hope Naito doesn't win for unpredictability's sake.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

What was I supposed to do? It's only natural that I'd fall in love...

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

So with the Blocks set out here's how I see it playing out with the last day matchups being what they are:

A: Ibushi/Goto/Tana/Naito all in play on the last night, with it working out to where one of Ibushi/Goto spoils the other & Naito beats Tanahashi.

B: Suzuki leads the Block going in, then loses to Yano. Okada is second but loses to Omega. Omega advancing would play into their usual trope of the last match being a decider, but don't count out Big Mike being the beneficiary of Omega spoiling Okada and moving the Canadian on.

My gut's telling me they won't break away from having the last match being a decider & Omega will lose to Naito.
    I'm a good looking guy, but you show absolutely no interest in dating me! But...you're so nice to me.

What was I supposed to do? It's only natural that I'd fall in love...

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Even though block a has the better depth I'm more excited for block b becasue of the omega vs suzuki and of course the third match which will be shorter due to the time limit.

Now even though Naito is obvious it's the best choice in the long term because Naito finally gets his win at wrestle kingdom I assume. As long as we get great matches I'm happy
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Some of key matchups and dates for the tourny

July 17
    Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

July 20

Minoru Suzuki vs. Kenny Omega
    SANADA vs. EVIL

July 21

YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tetsuya Naito
    Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

July 22
    Kenny Omega vs. Tama Tonga
    Minoru Suzuki vs. SANADA

July 23
    Togi Makabe vs. Hirooki Goto
    Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii

July 25
    Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega
    Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA

July 26
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hirooki Goto
    Togi Makabe vs. Kota Ibushi

July 27
    Minoru Suzuki vs. EVIL
    Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega

July 29
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. YOSHI-HASHI

July 30
    Satoshi Kojima vs. Kenny Omega
    Juice Robinson vs. Kazuchika Okada

August 1
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi
    Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii

August 2
    Kenny Omega vs. EVIL
    Satoshi Kojima vs. Minoru Suzuki

August 4
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Togi Makabe

August 5
    Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL
    Satoshi Kojima vs. SANADA

August 6

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    Togi Makabe vs. Tetsuya Naito

August 8
    Kenny Omega vs. SANADA
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki

August 11
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito
    Kota Ibushi vs. Hirooki Goto

August 12
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega
    Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki

August 13
    Winner of A Block vs. Winner of B Block in the tournament finals
    Okada/Omega going up last makes me believe even more that we are getting Naito/Omega in the finals

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Couldn't that 3 day break after the first show come a little later on? I mean straight after that we've got 7 shows in 8 days

One thing that's a little iffy to me is after everything he's been through, surely Kenny Omega beating Kazuchika Okada should be a huge moment and milestone in his career that shouldn't be undone by losing in the finals to Naito. I think if Omega's gonna beat Okada for the first time, it should be for the title. I'm still backing Big Mike in Block B.

Also, I don't know why I never clicked yesterday, but fuck my life not Suzuki/Yano again. The never ending feud.

The EST of WC

Status

I feel like Omega/Okada IIII is on the cards for the near future and will be the true final power match between the two guys. For the life of me I just can't see the whole series ending 1-1-1 after all of this. This match just feels more like the building blocks to the next level rather than the curtain call on the series.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    I feel like Omega/Okada IIII is on the cards for the near future and will be the true final power match between the two guys. For the life of me I just can't see the whole series ending 1-1-1 after all of this. This match just feels more like the building blocks to the next level rather than the curtain call on the series.
    IV not IIII, have you learned nothing from Wrestlemania history.

Once you get past the original trilogy in New Japan, there's no saying how many times they'll run the match, I've lost count of how many times Tanahashi/Okada has happened now. I feel like III is the one where Omega needs to win, but now III can't happen with a title switch so a 4th match is probably inevitable only you can't take the title off Okada before WK so it probably won't be until 2018.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    IV*. You mean
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

With Omega/Okada, it really depends what they're going to do. If they want Omega vs Okada for KOPW then yeah, Omega winning here makes sense and adds an insane amount of intrigue to the match at KOPW with it being 1-1-1. It's also likely Omega's last chance as I get the feeling he might be leaving NJPW next year. Might be wrong. I don't see him vs Okada happening in the next year after the Dome has come and gone. At least not until the next G1. But similarly, Omega beating Okada to go to the finals of the G1 feels pointless... why even bother trying to win the G1 to headline at the Dome if you know you can basically challenge the champ anyway? I think Omega might beat Okada to stop Okada getting to the finals - and as Ed said, Big Mike wins through. But idk if I particularly like the thought of Big Mike jobbing to Naito again. It's hard to say. It's up in the air. I don't think NJPW particularly care about predictability anyway so I guess Omega going to the finals after beating Okada is still very likely. A win over Okada in the Sumo Hall is big enough tbh.

If Omega win the US title then him vs Ibushi for the belt at the Dome should be a lock.

They can run Okada vs Omega a million times, I'll never get bored of it. Same with Okada vs Tanahashi.

Oh and ZSJ going over Tanahashi night 1 would be huge. It makes sense with Tana's injury too. I imagine they will gauge ZSJ and how over he is based on this tourney and book him accordingly after. If he gets over massive and does well then he might be more heavily involved next year.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 06-27-2017 at 08:01 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

The first show featuring Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi and Zack Sabre Jr. vs Hiroshi Tanahashi as the headliners will air for free on NJPW World. So if you haven't got it, here's your chance to check it out, see what it's all about and shit. The show should have english commentary also.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    The first show featuring Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi and Zack Sabre Jr. vs Hiroshi Tanahashi as the headliners will air for free on NJPW World. So if you haven't got it, here's your chance to check it out, see what it's all about and shit. The show should have english commentary also.
    Is that airing live for free or just freely available in general? Not sure of the time difference but I can't imagine I'll be able to watch live regardless.

Status

It will be freely available. They had the Best of the Super Jr. Day 1 air for free - I just logged out of my account to test if it was still freely available and it is. That aired 2 months ago so I assume it's the same deal here. Time difference is usually eight hours. Most NJPW shows tend to start between 8am-11am for us. I think most shows are usually around 10 though.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Awesome news! That'll give me a chance to see how easy to use the World service is as well. I've kept tabs on New Japan for a couple of years now and watched a few of the bigger shows, especially this year, but this passed month I've actually gone out of my way to watch pretty much everything they put out and I feel fairly confident that the service is value for money given the product they're putting out... not that I can afford it just yet, but a free show to see how the site functions is always handy.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

And remember, in the G1 the tournament matches come usually after intermission so you can add on another 90 mins or so to the start Time and it ends up being quite reasonable for us

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    And remember, in the G1 the tournament matches come usually after intermission so you can add on another 90 mins or so to the start Time and it ends up being quite reasonable for us
    Shhhhh... If you don't watch the tag matches on the show, you're doing it wrong. Part of the fun of the G1 comes from being burnt out by Day 6. It helps you to better relate to the exhaustion of the wrestlers in the tourney.

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    That's what I did with the Kizuna Road shows; I had three full shows to get through in the space of a day so I just watched everything after intermission. I felt a little bad about it but now I know I'm not alone in doing that I think it might be how I approach the G1 shows because there's a helluvalot of them to get through.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Here aren't enough hours in the day to watch Bullet club and chaos' B teams have a tag match on every g1 show

Still Kicking It

Status

The A Block looks like All Stars, the B Block has some reliable main eventers in Okada, Elgin and Omega with some reliable hands in Senada, Suzuki and Kojima. I think I know who's going to win this one, Kenny for the Dome, daddy! Possibly to face Naito as the most possible choice, but Tanahashi and Ibushi not out of the realm of possibility.

Indy Talent

Status

If you don't watch ALL of the G1, tag openers and all, then just gtfo of this thread because you don't deserve to be here

xDxDxDxD

In all seriousness, I am a huge Juice fan, and cannot wait to see him in all these high profile matches. Obviously not expecting him to win, but I'm entirely expecting this to be the place where he really gets noticed as a legit player by a lot of fans. This is probably a SUPER bold prediction, but I am calling it now: Juice gets the upset in his match with Okada. Looking at the blocks, it's not even an impossibility. If they want to give Juice any kind of opportunity, this plus the rematch for the title would be a great chance to put his skills to the ultimate test. I don't think he'll ever be a main event star over there (though I can dream), but I fully believe that if NJPW were to do this, it would lead to a solid upper midcard run for him once he shows what he's fully capable of.

Status

I can't see Juice beating Okada in the next ten years never mind this year. But Gedo is Gedo.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information