Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

After the Warriors went and took the title there's already things heating up with the draft (and not just rumors that go nowhere like usual).

What do you guys think of Boston trading from #1 with Philadelphia and does that make not going after Paul George when they had the chance look even dumber now?

What do we think of Fultz very likely going #1 in this stacked PG class?

Do we still Trust The Process?

Where do you see your team going?

+ free agency stuff down the line with Gordon Hayward probably taking his talents to the East Coast and more!
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: 2017 NBA Offseason Thread (Draft on Thursday 6/22)

Do I still trust the Process after all the tanking and trading players for draft picks the past 4 years, yeah the process better start having a pay off. Now my Sixers had a 18 plus win difference from the previous year, and the team all year was a tough out for even the best of the league. Embiid's health is a determination of where my team goes from being a team that could make it to playoffs maybe 7 or 8, or if he racks up the nagging injuries this upcoming season we'll be at the bottom of the league. I wonder what both teams get in the deal, but we needed a PG and this guy better be great if you trading for him.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Don't know what Boston's end-game is here. Are they going all in and trying to land George or Butler, or are they trying to acquire MORE athletic wing players to give them more assets?

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status

I do think Philly is set up well for the next decade if they can keep Covington, Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Mankind's Boiler Room

Status

To be honest you got to tank in nba its a 2 team league

Mankind's Boiler Room

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    After the Warriors went and took the title there's already things heating up with the draft (and not just rumors that go nowhere like usual).

What do you guys think of Boston trading from #1 with Philadelphia and does that make not going after Paul George when they had the chance look even dumber now?

What do we think of Fultz very likely going #1 in this stacked PG class?

Do we still Trust The Process?

Where do you see your team going?

+ free agency stuff down the line with Gordon Hayward probably taking his talents to the East Coast and more!
    Im a knicks fan so i wish in one hand and shit in another

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMBGraves View Post
    To be honest you got to tank in nba its a 2 team league
    Bullshit, you need to acquire talent and be smart, tanking doesn't do anything positive for most teams. Acquiring talent through the draft is a crapshoot.

For instance, Boston could've had Jimmy Butler or Paul George, or a few combinations of players, instead Ainge is stockpiling future assets, that don't mean a damn thing. Sure you could end up with John Wall or Kyrie Irving, you could also end up with Hasheem Thabeet, Anthony Bennett or worse, Evan Turner.

The NBA isn't a two-team league, some of the problems with the NBA lie within the CBA though. It's becoming increasingly clear that forced parity is killing the league.

Status

Turner's not great but saying worse than Thabeet or Bennett is heavy shade I can't support. Chandler Parsons 2017 level shade.

You're on point though. Another reason what the Celtics have done/are doing is stupid is as I said years ago when everyone was losing their shit is they have no leverage whatsoever, everyone knows they're doing this on purpose and these picks aren't worth anything to Boston. The onus is on Boston to push to make a trade, not other teams to make a push for their assets. Why they didn't go after Butler or PG was clearly the decision of a GM & team that is "shook" & believes their only hope is playing the lottery of the draft because they aren't good enough for MVP candidate caliber players like them even to take them over the top. Good luck with that.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Status

I think Fox is going to be the best player in this draft FWIW so obviously I don't really like it for them either to give up anything extra for Fultz when they could have had him.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Turner's not great but saying worse than Thabeet or Bennett is heavy shade I can't support. Chandler Parsons 2017 level shade.

You're on point though. Another reason what the Celtics have done/are doing is stupid is as I said years ago when everyone was losing their shit is they have no leverage whatsoever, everyone knows they're doing this on purpose and these picks aren't worth anything to Boston. The onus is on Boston to push to make a trade, not other teams to make a push for their assets. Why they didn't go after Butler or PG was clearly the decision of a GM & team that is "shook" & believes their only hope is playing the lottery of the draft because they aren't good enough for MVP candidate caliber players like them even to take them over the top. Good luck with that.
    Just so we're clear here, I'm in no way saying that Thabeet or Bennett is better at the game of basketball than Turner. But Turner is the worst type of player to be stuck with. Turner is not good enough to be a major impact on any team, but he's slightly better than a minor contributor, so no matter who you are if you want Evan Turner(which most teams do) you are forced to pay an absurd price for him. Turner is going to be making $17.1m in this upcoming year. Bennett and Thabeet aren't making anything. Bennett and Thabeet are basketball afterthoughts until we start bringing up the basketball busts, Turner is an afterthought getting paid.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Not sure if Lakers should bother with a PG heavy draft when they have DLoading and Clarkson unless one of them goes and they manage to acquire a star without getting rid of either Ingram or Randle.

Id love to see teams like Lakers, Minny, Philly, Bucks or whatnot build GSW like chemistry and talent. I like to remember that GSW was still a homegrown super team before they even added Durant. From a 2K perspective, that was always my favorite way to play instead of trading for big stars.

Status

I see where you're coming from, SS, fair. Still contracts these days are on such a new & different scale it's harder for me to hold it against guys even relative to their value these days, even Mozgov. In this day & age Turner's not offensively overpaid imo. Before the increase I'd probably be right there with you. That said, it's hard to not root for a guy who speaks out against Egg Mcmuffin prices so I might just be biased. (Also it's hard for me to not think "man, I'd rather have him & his contract than Parsons" with anybody so I might be double biased. )

Think it's pretty likely Lakers stick with UCLA's Ball and switch someone over to the 2 spot. Potentially draft Jackson & bench Ingram. But I could definitely see them making a big run at George in the future and prioritizing the backcourt.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Status

I'm kind of up in the air as to who's going to have the better career between Fultz and Fox. My gut says Fultz but at the same time I think Philly could have just stayed at 3 and gotten Fox and had just as good of a draft. I think both of them will end up better than Ball.

I hope the Lakers pass on Ball and take literally anybody else. I just want to see LaVar murder someone on national TV.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Lonzo Ball to PHX, so he can sit behind Bledsoe and Knight lmfao.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

Bledsoe and Knight aint ever gonna win you a title so Id rather take a chance on Ball if Im Phoenix and see if he can live up to Daddy's hype. This goes for any "play this potential packed rookie or play this just below All-Star player who wont win you anything ever". Always play the potential packed rookie imo.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Positive Jon View Post
    Bledsoe and Knight aint ever gonna win you a title so Id rather take a chance on Ball if Im Phoenix and see if he can live up to Daddy's hype. This goes for any "play this potential packed rookie or play this just below All-Star player who wont win you anything ever". Always play the potential packed rookie imo.
    That's completely dependent on your franchises' direction. It's fairly obvious that Bledsoe/Knight isn't the answer, but are you really gonna have a happy owner and keep your job if you're both not winning games and sitting $27m worth of players? Considering how frugal Robert Sarver normally is, I can imagine him not being at all happy with that situation. That situation normally leads to selling your assets for pennies on the dollar, which reduces the value of your assets overall. It's an interesting philosophy, but one that simply isn't as realistic in real life as it is in video games.

Internet Favorite

Status

Celtics endgame: Anthony Davis. That's what I think they're trying to do.

Butler and George don't want to play in Boston or Chicago/Indiana are asking for ALL the picks. It could very well be Trader Dan's doing, but it goes both ways, can't just be that Ainge isn't willing to trade for them, he trades with everyone.

Who knows? I think Josh Jackson is a better fit in Boston (if they actually make the picks), because they at the moment don't need another guard in Fultz.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Indiana knows they're getting peanuts for George now that he's said he's leaving at the end of his contract.

Status

If the Pacers can get a couple of those C's draft picks they should take them. The problem is everyone knows he's eyeing LA and I doubt anyone is lining up to get a rental.

Bledsoe/Knight are both really good if they weren't stuck in that situation which is essentially the NBA's dead zone. Look at Knight with the Bucks before he went to Phoenix compared to now. That team, besides Brooklyn might be the worst put together in the league with how they tore it apart. It should be criminal what they did.

PHX going guard would just be silly considering Booker is also there so I could see Fox dropping another position to the Kings. (Unless the Kings try to move up to get Fultz/Ball with #5 & #10 like has been rumored)

Ball getting passed over by LA would indeed be epic. Kinda rooting for Ball to go to Sac-town just to see LaVarr's reaction. Also Vlade's if they do make a trade
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    For instance, Boston could've had Jimmy Butler or Paul George, or a few combinations of players, instead Ainge is stockpiling future assets, that don't mean a damn thing. Sure you could end up with John Wall or Kyrie Irving, you could also end up with Hasheem Thabeet, Anthony Bennett or worse, Evan Turner.
    You have to weigh the pros and cons of "trying" to win the East when LeBron is still in his prime. You either trade your future picks and young, undeveloped, athletic wing players for Jimmy Butler/Paul George and hope that nucleus is enough against LeBron and the Cavs — or you wait until he's past his prime/in Los Angeles, when the East will be wide open, and trust your ability to make good selections with your valuable draft picks, thus giving you the open road to a title.

That's probably the thinking.

2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Thread Information