Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 225

Thread: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

  1. #121
    God's Gift to God
    Coxatron's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Amongst the Waves
    Posts
    15,847
    Rep Power
    181188

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    I think the entire thing is silly but still sorta interesting. There's no reason it should be remotely competitive or even go the distance. But the lottery aspect of a McGregor shock win is enticing. I've had to unsubscribe from ufc on YouTube because my sub uploads is flooded with shit from the past week and it's annoying. Obviously they're going to put as much shit out as possible but I'm getting less inclined to watch it every day.

    Add in it's entirely possible that neither guy fights after this and it's just almost too spectacleishy.

    IT'S OVERBOOKED MAGGLE

    ily


  2. #122
    One Batch, Two Batch
    RaiZ-R's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,359
    Rep Power
    91428

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    The desire to make money and passion aren't mutually exclusive though. They go hand in hand a lot of the time. I'm not even so much defending Conor as much is it just disputing this armchair psychology of yours where you claim to know the motivations of someone you know little about.

    You're definitely reaching with this idea that he actively doesn't want to defend any Titles. He just goes after the bigger fight, like every fighter ever. You always want the bigger fight. If the bigger fight offer on the table involves Conor defending a Title he will. But whats bigger fighting Floyd, or fighting an unprofessional bum like Khabib who routinely fucks up?

    As far as his Title vacating goes...well immediately after winning the two Cage Warriors Titles he was singed by the UFC. Whats he meant to do, turn the UFC down so he can defend some low level belts?
    Maybe I am reaching... but if he really wants to defend his titles, why hasn't he? After his loss to Diaz he could've gone back down to Featherweight and defended the belt like he was supposed to but he didn't. Diaz was/is a much bigger guy who just got the better of him in a fight where Connor had been preparing to fight an entirely different human being; there's no shame in that, especially when you take into account Nate's high level BJJ and it's effect on the finish. Instead of doing what he should've done (which to my mind is defend his title) he let his ego run him and had to get back that loss, and once he did, once again he dodged defending the featherweight title in order to challenge for the lightweight belt - the only reasoning behind that decision at this point is that Connor was afraid he would lose his featherweight championship and not be able to became a double-champion yet again.

    He made the featherweight division look like an afterthought and deserved to be stripped of his title before he faced Alvarez because at that point he was doing everything he could to not defend his title purely so he could become a double-champion and up his price tag for future fight. Again, I'm not saying he's stupid for doing this, I'm just saying that every move he makes is motivated by potential income rather than by any passion/respect for the sport he competes in. I'm also not saying he doesn't like or enjoy what he does, I'm just saying that he does what he does in order to make money and bolster his ego and it would be the same regardless of whether he was a fighter, an actor or a plumber - he would do whatever he needed to do in order to ensure he could put his face on the side of a Rolls Royce because that's who he is.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Conor's passionate. You don't become a success in MMA if you have zero passion for fighting. Just doesn't happen. Conor was on benefits and was a trainee plumber as he worked his way up through the MMA scene in Europe. He wouldn't have stuck at it if he had no passion. He clearly has passion in wanting to be the best fighter the world has seen. His choice of vacating the Cage Warriors titles is a bit daft to bring up because he was offered a UFC spot after winning the CWFC 155lbs belt. Nobody is turning down the UFC. As far as his two UFC belts go - He didn't vacate the 145lbs to win the 155lbs belt, he was stripped of the 145lbs title for division inactivity. But not fight inactivity as we saw him fight Diaz twice and Alvarez once. That fight only came about because Dos Anjos pulled out. McGregor didn't even have to fight Diaz either but he did. The UFC have a say in the matchmaking process just as much as he does so it's not solely on his shoulders who he fights. He wanted to be the first dual champion in UFC history - that signals ambition to be recognised as the best to me. He has spoken about fighting Mayweather over the years so this isn't something that came out of the blue.
    The Cage Warriors thing is what it is and while I do agree that no one is likely to be turning down an offer from the UFC, it supports my feeling that he has very little interest in defending any titles he earns.

    He vacated the featherweight title because no matter how he plays it out in public (and other than his initial tantrum, I've heard nothing about it since from him) he chose not to fight in that division for a year as it's "champion". He had plenty of opportunities to go back down and do it but never did, because he didn't really care to. He was stripped of it, and that's how it's sold, but you can't deny that Connor had the opportunity to ensure that didn't happen and never took it.

    Also, just to be clear here (because people keep telling me he's a good fighter) I don't think I've once said he isn't good and I truly see him as a very talented fighter and respect his abilities, I just dislike the fact that he refuses to defend any championships he wins.

  3. #123

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    15,400
    Rep Power
    389335
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    It's not McGregor's fault that he won the belt and moved up to 155 after saying so for months beforehand. UFC knew it was coming. He got the fight with RDA and RDA pulled out. McGregor could've sat on the shelf longer or fight. He fought and lost to Diaz. The PPV drew big time. UFC were never going to pass up the opportunity to run a rematch in favour of a 145 title bout. You can blame McGregor somewhat but UFC have just as much of a hand in who he faces. I will also add in that Jose Aldo's manager turned down a rematch offer when Dos Anjos pulled out injured. Just curious, who would you have had McGregor fight in a 145 title match? Frankie Edgar hadn't earned a shot above Jose Aldo... and Jose Aldo had just been KOed in 13 seconds. Hardly a compelling case for either guy. I don't see why McGregor gets the full blame when there was no clear number one contender for him to defend against.

    Why would anyone have interest in defending a rinky dink promotions titles in favour of signing the UFC? It's hardly a compelling argument when 99% of the fighter population would do the exact same thing. Do you actually have any proof that he flat out refuses to defend belts he wins?

    McGregor has been obsessed with MMA since he went to a UFC event. He got obsessed with money through his obsession with MMA. I'm still not getting why you think he has no passion for the sport. He is very clearly standing up as an ambassador for the sport against Mayweather also. It's literally impossible for someone with no passion for MMA to be in the position he is now. You simply do not dedicate all that time to working in the gym and embracing the grind if you have no passion for it.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Game Rage View Post
    I just want to preface by saying I'm just trying to engage in friendly banter and express some of my ideas that I feel are less shared and maybe even provide a perspective or information not previously considered. I just don't want to come across like an argumentative dick. It's been a while since I've really been around and I'm just happy to engage and have the conversation with willing participants again.

    See, what I think it bullshit though is that people seem to give an MMA fighter like McGregor so much more of a chance out of his game, than say a Floyd Mayweather out of his or any boxer in general. I think it's either a lack of understanding or a lack of respect for boxing and the level of athletes, which are exceptional to sports in general, that take part in the sport. I understand the perception and why, but I think it's nonetheless short sighted or at least kind of ill-informed to some degree.

    Hence my commentary on how old and past it Mercer was. Tim Sylvia was no big accomplishment but he was at least a former UFC heavyweight champion that was hyped to the moon for his time and place while UFC was on the rise.

    As for Boxers not being "well rounded" enough, see I think that's the misconception and the part where people just aren't understanding boxing and what it actually has to offer or provides it's practitioners. Who is to say really that being well rounded means you fight in the style of MMA? What about the deficiency of striking skills in MMA? What about the conditioning of the average MMA fighter vs the conditioning of the average Boxer? What about the ability to hit and not get hit of a boxer vs a MMA fighter? Or the ability to take shots in general of the average boxer vs the average MMA fighter? How about head and waist movement, footwork, the mental game, etc....all aspect of combat where I would say Boxers are far more advanced and in turn need not rely on the same tactics as those in MMA? I think there are relevant and valuable questions to pose.

    Well now lets see what you have to say about that below......

    Now I get the common sense of what you are saying here but lets look at the mentality that's been built in there. That MMA covers a wider base. Does it? because last I checked they lack sound basic fundamentals of boxing striking, footwork, head movement, waist movement, blocking, parrying, slipping, and do not have the same level of stamina and endurance. One dimensional? It may seem that way and on the surface okay, it SEEMS that way, but consider the mental game of chess that takes place in boxing, think about the grappling aspects and what takes place in the clinch, the way the legs and feet are used, the way weight and momentum is used, it's not a lack of dimension as it is a difference in use if you get what I'm saying here.

    Now rather than looking at the absence of elbows, kicks, knees, throws, submissions, ground transitions, etc.....as a lack of dimension or skill set, consider as I mentioned earlier that maybe it's not that these fighters lack the capacity for those skills, but rather do not have a necessity for them due to the way they've honed their striking skills and everything that comes with it. Put simply I look at the two as one being a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none vs a truly skilled master of a dedicated craft. Now of course like you said, Floyd Mayweather isn't going to be better at skills he hasn't honed, but consider that maybe he or the average boxer is so skilled with the ones they have that they do not need the others. The skills they acquire from boxing are more than adequate to thwart the tactic and offense brought by an MMA fighter.

    And I'm saying the boxer doesn't need those other skills. Being so sufficient in boxing and at the level of conditioning boxing demands is more than enough. It comes down to tactics and game plan, nothing more.

    Your guess is as good as mine really. My point is not everyone can box, not everyone finds the dedication it takes to stick to it and grind their way to the top. Boxing is unique in that way, it is all inclusive. If you box, you box, that's it. But it prepares you and molds you to be a different level of athlete and fighter. Anyone can go join a local MMA gym and be fighting in no time, which means it doesn't necessarily take anything special to do it. If it did, not everyone could do it. But Shake, if you decided you wanted to be an MMA fighter the only thing separating you from that is a couple weeks and a gym membership. You can't just do that in boxing.

    I was just listing random names off the top of my head, there was nothing specific about the people I named really, just all guys who at one time or another were a really big deal and marketed as such. The point was just that the marketing machine always gets behind the new guy and he's the new guy, for now.

    And how likely is that to actually happen if we're being honest? Not very.

    Well, of course boxing isn't as enjoyable if you can't grasp what is going on as easily as what you see in MMA which is where the separation is. People don't get the education in boxing they once did and it is VERY cerebral, that's why it's called the sweet science and it is every bit that. So if you don't really understand it, how are you to be able to really get immersed in it? And my hypothesis has been that the lack of understanding vs the very easy to digest concepts of MMA are why people don't enjoy boxing as much.. It's very straight forward in MMA, and boxing is chess to MMA's game of checkers. Boxing seems restrictive, but those restrictions allow for a freestyle formless method of combat to flourish that is adaptable to any other style or form of fighting so how restrictive is it really?

    They've just taken variables out of the question that could leave question as to who is the better man and the better fighter. It's no b.s. no excuses, no he twisted my arm or choked me so I had to quit, and then on top of that there is no escape; you do not have the luxury of kicking a guy, or elbowing him, or twisting his arm or leg, or choking him out, no no, those have been taken away, lets see what you're really made of. Those are all shortcuts from doing the harder thing, standing on your own two feet, beating a man with just your fists, no cheap shots, no excuses, just everything you've got upstairs and inside, constant pressure, hit or be hit, move or get moved on, take ground or give ground, no rest, you're constantly under pressure. Anyone can choke a guy, or kick someone, or bend their arm in an uncomfortable way, which is why MMA is so much more relatable and easy to grasp, but it takes a different mental acumen to set a guy up for a series of punches and enforce your will strategically to make it happen while they are trying to do the same to you.

    Now this isn't all about trying to shit on MMA or something but it's not what it's been MARKETED as and it isn't necessarily more "well rounded" or superior to boxing or a dedicated Martial Art, it's just one of many Martial Arts styles with it's own weaknesses that can also be defeated with the other martial arts, one of which is boxing. I just want to provide a different lens with which to view and understand boxing in the hopes other people see it how I do, and see the beauty, and science, and skill, and everything it encompasses so people have a greater respect for it and can enjoy it more and see it for what an amazing art and science it really is. Understand as well that the rules of boxing were developed to create as FAIR and level a playing field as possible to determine a real winner in a pugilistic contest; and it was considered UN-manly to do the things permitted in MMA, it was dirty fighting, cheap tactics, unsportsmanlike, because it doesn't prove anything and leaves question as I mentioned earlier. You don't hit a man while he's down, you don't choke a guy out, you don't try to break their arm or their leg or whatever...you stand and you fight like a man. All of that was considered a departure from doing just that, a short cut to winning in the absence of the ability to stand a fight like a man. There was no honor or dignity in fighting like that, and people who did were considered pussies because they had to resort to such tactics.

    Actually no there is no rule saying you can't ACT like your going to do something illegal in boxing. You'd pay for it with a counter punch, but you could feint a take down or a kick. For that matter guys actually DO lots of things that are illegal to the rules of boxing all the time, it just generally isn't that and they still get away with a lot before they really get in trouble for it.

    Gonna have to disagree with a lot of this. Just curious how much present day MMA you actually watch? Because it feels like you are putting Boxing way up high on a pedestal compared to it and it comes across like you don't watch much MMA nowadays. I had a long reply typed out but, honestly, it's not worth discussing.

    Almost everything you are saying about boxing can be applied to MMA. You either just don't know enough about MMA to think it through properly or you're deliberately biased towards boxing. "Anyone can do MMA" is particularly ignorant... "Anyone can do kicks, twist arms, choke someone" Well, anyone can punch someone too. All this stuff about footwork, cardio, head movement... it applies to kickboxing/thai too. There's a lot of intricacies that apply to grappling that you are likely ignorant of, also. Calling MMA checkers is weird since I'm 99.9% sure (correct me if you want with a breakdown) that there are more routes to victory for someone in a MMA fight and thus more things that need to be defended/prevented. Tactics, gameplans, mental acumen all exist in MMA too. When you go on to talk about how MMA tactics are cheap and considered un-manly and how Boxing has rules to be 'pure' or whatever. If Boxing is such a great counter then why the hate? Surely you'd be able to counter all those unmanly tactics? I would sure love to see a Boxer put a MMA fighter with a BJJ Black belt in a submission if it's so easy. Would sure love to see them take down a MMA Fighter who is a top pedigree wrestler, too. You say you're not shitting on MMA... but that entire post is designed to deride MMA in favour of boxing. You pretty much come across as the same as MMA fanboy/boxing haters except the roles are reversed. Why must they be opposed? They're almost incomparable. There's nothing in your post that makes me think you know what you're talking in regards to MMA - which is why I curbed my long reply. We'd just go in circles because I don't think you'd understand any points I bring up. I don't get why you think it takes a 'genius' to be able to box but MMA is for simpletons or whatever. That's the vibe you give off.

    I'll add that I don't hate boxing at all.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 07-16-2017 at 06:23 PM.





    IMPORTANT MESSAGE

    Spoiler:




    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  4. #124
    God's Gift to God
    Coxatron's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Amongst the Waves
    Posts
    15,847
    Rep Power
    181188

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Conor is undeniably passionate about what he does. He might come off as lackadaisical and nonchalant but that's the character. Dude is a straight killer and busting his dick to get what he wants. And everytime he gets what he wants and sets a new goal he works even harder to make it happen.

    You don't go from decisioning nate diaz in an anticipated rematch to murdering Eddie Alvarez for your second title to fighting Floyd mayweather in a freakshow fight for bukuu bucks without being passionate.

    ily


  5. #125
    One Batch, Two Batch
    RaiZ-R's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,359
    Rep Power
    91428

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    It's not McGregor's fault that he won the belt and moved up to 155 after saying so for months beforehand. UFC knew it was coming. He got the fight with RDA and RDA pulled out. McGregor could've sat on the shelf longer or fight. He fought and lost to Diaz. The PPV drew big time. UFC were never going to pass up the opportunity to run a rematch in favour of a 145 title bout. You can blame McGregor somewhat but UFC have just as much of a hand in who he faces. I will also add in that Jose Aldo's manager turned down a rematch offer when Dos Anjos pulled out injured. Just curious, who would you have had McGregor fight in a 145 title match? Frankie Edgar hadn't earned a shot above Jose Aldo... and Jose Aldo had just been KOed in 13 seconds. Hardly a compelling case for either guy. I don't see why McGregor gets the full blame when there was no clear number one contender for him to defend against.
    Oh no, I don't have a problem with the first Diaz fight. That was unavoidable and really so was the second given how well the first did money wise, although I do think it could've gone on the backburner to simmer while McGregor dealt with his obligations to Aldo, and I definitely see no reason why he couldn't have fought Aldo before challenging for the lightweight title.

    Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with the idea of being a double-champion and I don't blame anyone for RDA not being able to fight that night; my issues arise after that fight where McGregor decided to not face Aldo and instead settle a grudge and sate his ego in beating Diaz and then hoping on the title hunt train again, instead of defending the one he already held.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Why would anyone have interest in defending a rinky dink promotions titles in favour of signing the UFC? It's hardly a compelling argument when 99% of the fighter population would do the exact same thing. Do you actually have any proof that he flat out refuses to defend belts he wins?
    Like I said before, I totally see the logic behind him signing with the UFC instead of sticking around in Cage Warriors but coupled with him not defending either his UFC featherwight title before he was stripped of it (vacated it) because of inactivity in that division and now not defending his lightweight championship because he's spent all his time since winning it chasing this fight - which let's face it, no one believed was gonna happen until it got announced, or if you were really optimistic, maybe a month before that - instead of actually fighting in the sport he's supposed be a champion in. I'd say that is as close to proof that he refuses to defend titles, unless there's actually interview excerpts I'm unaware of where he's said "I'm not defending my title until..." cue ridiculous demand like "I get Diaz again" or "I get the lightweight championship" or "I get to fight Floyd Mayweather".

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    McGregor has been obsessed with MMA since he went to a UFC event. He got obsessed with money through his obsession with MMA. I'm still not getting why you think he has no passion for the sport. He is very clearly standing up as an ambassador for the sport against Mayweather also. It's literally impossible for someone with no passion for MMA to be in the position he is now. You simply do not dedicate all that time to working in the gym and embracing the grind if you have no passion for it.
    Are you telling me that you know no one who dedicates a sizeable portion of their lives excelling at something they'd rather not be doing in order to make a living? If that's the case then you and your friends are truly blessed sir, because I know quite a few people who put in a lot of hard work doing stuff they would prefer not to be doing in order to survive and some of them are really fucking good at what they don't particularly like doing too.

    If (and this is a very big if) Connor fights in the UFC again within the next year and a half, then I'll concede the point because in that case he will have done something truly great for the sport of MMA - especially if he somehow manages to KO Floyd - because he'll have stepped out of his comfort zone in order to draw more viewers to the sport he loves and he'll be making the first ever defence of any title he's ever won, but at this point, even with him reportedly having promised Dana that he'll fight at least one more time, I just can't see what would motivate him to do that... because this fight with line his pockets for a long time to come and he won't need the UFC any more.

  6. #126

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    15,400
    Rep Power
    389335
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Timing wise, him vs Aldo just didn't work out due to UFC 200 and 202 being too close to each other and Aldo taking a shitload of time off like always. Even if you blame McGregor for the Diaz stuff, you can easily say Aldo should have just defended his IC belt as it was obvious that McGregor was going to drop the belt anyway. The IC belt should've kept the division moving - that is it's purpose, after all - and it failed. He could've fought Aldo, won again and challenged for 155 title but really... why would it matter? He'd probably still intend to drop the 145 belt anyway and things would roughly end up where they are now anyway. I know Aldo said UFC offered McGregor the chance to do the second fight instead of Alvarez but I don't believe it. Once again, nobody in their right mind is taking a rematch with a guy who got sparked in 13 seconds over the chance to win a second belt. It is what it is. It's not McGregor's fault entirely, it's not Aldo's, UFC has to shoulder the blame and everything lies in the middle. Really comes down to ambition but I think a rematch with Aldo can wait for later... but it'll never happen now cause Aldo got killed by Holloway.

    McGregor took a break from fighting after winning the Lightweight belt so he could spend time with his girlfriend as well as his newly born son. That's why he was inactive early this year. Was waiting on his boy being born and I guess didn't want to be away from his new family knowing that any fight he does is going to have some mega world tour and crazy ass media engagements. I guess him chasing the fight is dumb and I didn't particularly want it to happen but I don't think he chased the fight because he doesn't want to defend his belt or because he doesn't respect MMA. I dunno why he isn't fighting in UFC but I recall him and Dana having a tiff at some point. I guess it's not very motivating when your top contender is a dude who has only fought twice in the last 3 years. But I do recall reading recently that McGregor would fight Khabib in Russia after Mayweather.

    No, I do know people who are dispassionate about what they do. Some work in supermarkets and care not a jot. Some work shitty admin jobs. The thing is - you can't just blanket things like that. Ask yourself - do you genuinely think someone can be a MMA superstar like McGregor without having the passion for it? Working shitty jobs is easy but do you think someone who has no passion for MMA would be spending weeks in intense training camps, flying all over the place to do media, cutting weight and feeling miserable as fuck just for a single fight? You, quite simply, don't become one of the best MMA fighters ever without having some form of passion for the sport whether that be reinforced by a passion for money, ambition to be the best, whatever. The fact is - McGregor loves the fight game. He loves to fight, he loves to talk shit, he's into it all. If McGregor didn't like fighting, he wouldn't do it anymore. He's made enough to retire. But I just don't think MMA is something that fits the example of "excelling whilst being dispassionate" as MMA requires a lot of motivation and passion to produce results.

    The motivation for McGregor is probably to continue keep making the money plus if he does KO Mayweather and go back to MMA, he will be drawing a shit ton of eyes to MMA. He mightn't need the UFC anymore... but if he's passionate about the sport then he will come back. McGregor isn't someone who goes back on his word very often. The UFC would need him and he knows it. They bend to his every need. He could make every fight of his a huge spectacle if he wanted. He's spoke about going to Russia and doing the whole Rocky treatment. I dunno what he does but I do think he will come back. McGregor can't help himself.





    IMPORTANT MESSAGE

    Spoiler:




    ~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:






  7. #127
    Cheese!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,185
    Rep Power
    41490

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    The same can be said for fans of boxing attitudes toward MMA.

    I wasn't talking about boxing's following in the world....because I really don't care about that to be quite honest.

    I am talking about America here.
    Its ridiculous to proclaim something as needing to rebound just because America aren't producing most of the top fighters anymore. It's a Global sport.

    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


  8. #128
    Putting America First
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    19,976
    Rep Power
    88113
      Country                    United States

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Its ridiculous to proclaim something as needing to rebound just because America aren't producing most of the top fighters anymore. It's a Global sport.
    It's popularity has declined here.

    Call it a global sport all you damn well please if it's popularity dropped here it needs to rebound.

    Thems the breaks kid.

  9. #129
    Curtain Jerker

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    The Most Awaited Fight Of The Year Between My Favorite Mayweather Vs Connor. Best Of Luck For Your Fight Mayweather (CHAMP) Go Hard 50-0

  10. #130
    The Dude Abides
    The Game Rage's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    6509

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    Saying an MMA fighter is not trained well is just silly.

    There are so many more aspects to MMA than there is boxing. Boxers train in one area and become highly skilled in that area alone.
    That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that there is a bit of a facade propped up by good marketing to the untrained eye of the average viewer who knows nothing about Boxing specifically, knows only what they can grasp watching MMA, has no experience in Boxing or Marital Arts (which I have both and then some), and really don't know what they are seeing to judge one way or the other. As far as there being so many more aspects to MMA than there is boxing, another part of what I am saying is, that is only true on the surface. There is a significant trade off in how and what is being trained. The misconception here is exactly what you've stated, that "Boxers train in one area". Well in some ways technically that is true, literally that is not true. There is a lot more to boxing than just throwing punches.

    Some MMA fighters are experts at Brazilian jiu-jitsu which can take years to accomplish. They also have to be able to handle themselves on their feet, and be able to handle themselves when taken down.
    Keyword is "SOME" but I'm talking about the average boxer and the average MMA fighter, at the top of their sports. It's also true that with enough money you can attain whatever belt in BJJ you want in about a year because there are no real standards to Martial Arts and the belt system which is a major flaw of Martial Arts in general. The aspect you're missing about boxing is that you train so that you don't have to handle yourself on the ground, because you aren't going there to begin with.

    Boxers have to look for hands coming at them. MMA fighters have to watch for punches, elbows, kicks, takedowns, submissions, so many more threats to assess and guard for. It simply cannot be compared.
    It can be compared, and if you want to get technical here, in a real world situation the boxer has to watch for all the same threats, but is trained to handle the threat in a different more direct way, no less efficiently, and one could argue much more efficiently as the quickest way to end any conflict is with a punch. But you're missing the point a bit, a boxer has to watch for far more than just punches, you're watching EVERYTHING your opponent does just like any other fighter of any other style, and using just as many indicators to measure up and analyze your opponent to figure out what he's trying to do, and what you are going to do.

    Not all MMA fighters are well rounded so I get your point on that but boxing is so one dimensional in comparison. They have to get good at one aspect while MMA incorporates many different aspects.
    Again, it's really not one dimensional it just seems that way on the surface. I get what you're saying about kicks, take downs, elbows, etc....What you're failing to realize I think, is that Boxing is just as sufficient to field the same threats and thwart them, which is the crux of my argument. The latter half of what I'm saying is that because the boxer is better trained with their fists, has better footwork which also equals better balance, is generally better conditioned, more capable and better trained to avoid attacks through footwork, slipping, parrying, head movement, waist movement, lateral movement, and is also more used to taking consistent damage, it's a lot more serviceable than most people give it credit for, especially MMA fans who simply know no better.

    You can talk head movements, reading what your opponent is going to do, all you want but it applies even more to MMA.
    Well I just did, but the fact is, as much importance as you say it has in MMA, they don't treat it with nearly as much importance because they are too busy trying to pull this from one thing and that from the other, making as I stated a "jack of all trades, master of none" more often than not. And when I watch MMA fights and see these guys have no concept of decent footwork, head and waist movement, defensive skills, counter-punching ability, proper use and understanding of range and distance, and even the complete absence of a decent basic jab, I don't know what all the fuss is about and how people think these guys are "superior" to a well trained boxer. I understand why people without any real education in boxing and martial arts think so, because they are well marketed to, and the concepts of MMA are easy for the average guy on the couch to grasp which makes it more relateable and feasible to the average watcher that they could do it themsevles too, and makes them feel like they know something, so there's that appeal, but outside of that it makes no sense when it gets down to actual skills and mechanics.

    I would argue that you can make a lot more mistakes in boxing. With their oversized gloves a KO isn't likely going to happen. With MMA a KO can happen out of anywhere. One misread could put your lights out.
    On the contrary, you can-not make as many mistakes in boxing because all it takes is 1 punch to put you out and that punch can be delivered faster than any kick, elbow, knee, take down, or anything else you've care to mention. That is part of the reason a boxer is so dangerous to anyone of any other discipline. They have trained in the quickest most efficient way to finish an oppenet, and trained to be better at it than anyone else. You go for one big shot and miss, get countered, and you're done, becasue it's also the punches you don't see coming that do the most damage and leave you on the floor trying to figure out what happened and where you are. I've seen it a million times.

    I'd also like to note that the ability to kick isn't necessarily an advantage for offense or as much of a threat to someone who needs to defend against one. Smart use of footwork, range and distance, and even basic blocking skills are more than sufficient to deal with that, most notably because it takes a lot longer to get a kick around than it does to throw a punch. So you take someone who is trained to react in a split second to avoiding the much faster punch, and give them even more time to avoid a kick and use the above mentioned skills and it becomes more of a liability than an advantage, which is part of the reason it was left out in boxing anyways, it wasn't necessary and takes away from the more direct art of fighting with just the fists.

    This is another common misconception about the gloves. Let me make this simple for you to compare the two; take a pebble and throw it at a glass window and what happens to the window? It chips. Now take a full size rock and throw it at the window and what happens? It shatters the window. It's about area of impact, and the boxing glove covers a much larger surface area, creating a more blunt force impact and thus more damage. MMA gloves however tend to cut one a bit easier because they are thinner and harder but that's it. Technically now, the average person can throw a faster punch also with an MMA glove vs a boxing glove because of the weight difference, but when you are talking about trained boxers, they throw in boxing gloves often times as fast or faster than someone with MMA gloves because they train to do so and train to have faster hands in general.

    The reason guys get KO'd so easily in MMA is because most of these guys don't know how to take a punch (and there are different ways to do so to minimize effect and impact), don't have sound enough defense to avoid the wild haymakers and kicks that generally get thrown, aren't nearly as used to taking punches or heavy blows, and in many cases simply have glass jaws which is why they need to avoid hand to hand as much as possible. Like I said previously, not everyone can box, part of that is because not everyone can take a punch. Most people get hit and freeze, panic, or go out. It's both a skill and a trait to be able to take a punch, not one many of these guys have.

    Boxers build up a certain tolerance to it that no one else does and that is why you see them go 12 rounds and take hundreds of shots. Well, and because they are trained to take them the right way. I'd also like to note that boxers on average fight WAY more over a career than MMA fighters which shows again the caliber of athlete and fighter these guys are across the board, and it takes more than 9 fights to be recognized as anything but maybe a young prospect. Look around at the champions in boxing and they on average have at least 20 fights and don't even get a sniff at a title until they are in that area if they look good enough. The point there is they also have to do a lot more to earn it, and no one calls them world beaters and makes them out to be "Gladiators" and "Ultimate Fighters" until they've really proven something.

    We can argue this all day and night but boxing is just not exciting these days and saying that it is on an upswing is laughable.
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Cool, boxing doesn't entertain you. MMA doesn't entertain me nearly as much as boxing because of the clear deficiencies I see watching it. I wouldn't even put a person in the ring to fight with the way I see most of the MMA fighters out there, it's not safe, and they are not well enough trained in the area of self defense they should be to be thrown out there. Rule #1 in boxing, you hear it just about every fight "Protect yourself at all times" and I think it's a shame these folks get thrown out there without the basic ability to do just that. The next rule or the name of the game in Boxing is "Hit and don't get hit" and that is another philosophy that seems to be lacking in MMA to the detriment of the people who participate in it. It bothers me because not everyone is built for, or should be in combat sports, but there are folks that will throw anyone out there with a little training in a neighborhood MMA gym to get hurt, largely because they are under trained or just poorly trained.

    In boxing you could compete in an amateur event in about 3 or 4 months if you catch on quickly, and even then you're required to wear head gear, a shirt, shoes, a protector, scoring gloves, and you'll be limited to 4 - 2 minute rounds because it's a gradual advancement. I've seen places that do MMA events take people out of the crowd, have them sign a waiver, and throw them in there with guys who are doing dedicated training, that shit ain't right, or throw guys in there with little to no training to just get pummeled and pad someone's record. I don't agree with that.

    The 'biggest fight' you mention that is coming, I guarantee only about 10% of normal people polled would recognize either name. That is a fact you must accept.
    And if you went to Mexico 90% of the people polled WOULD know who they were, or if you went to the U.K. a larger amount of people would know who they were, or Cuba, or Puerto Rico, or dozens of other countries because globally boxing is still the largest and most respected combat sport. There's also a reason the highest purses are in boxing, because it generates the money, and they are some of the best trained athletes in the world and what they do demands a higher level of pay because of what they go through and what it takes to get to that level. Boxing training itself is the hardest training in the world, only behind swimming believe it or not, and that's because swimming works every single muscle in the body, ones you don't even realize you have and swimming also requires a RIDICULOUS degree of stamina and conditioning.

    Boxing needs another Mike Tyson if it wants to rebound. All the boxers out there right now are boring as shit.
    No offense but that just tells me you don't really know much about boxing, don't really watch it, and clearly don't have the knowledge to analyze what takes place during a boxing match. That's not an insult mind you, just an observation. If you knew more about it and understood the technical aspects and intricacies of boxing I bet you'd love it if you like MMA, because it really is much more of a chess match than that. I really wish there was a way I could teach you so you did. I've taught a lot of my friends about boxing and watched fights with them explaining it as it goes along, and taught them directly different aspects, strategies, and technicques, etc.....and every time once they understand what they are watching, they fall in love with it and in some cases stop watching MMA all together because it's just ridiculous to them after that.

    Have you even heard of like, Deontay Wilder for example? He's the WBC Heavyweight Champion and he's from the U.S. He's also an undefeated knockout artist. Or do you know who Anthony Joshua is? He's another undefeated heavyweight from the U.K. something of a knockout artist himself, holding two heavyweight titles, some would even say he's the best heavyweight in the world. What about Gennaday Golovkin? Guillermo Rigondeaux? Terrance Crawford? Vasyl Lomachenko? Keith Thurman? Errol Spence? Mikey Garcia? Jeremy Charlo? Erislandy Lara? These are all champions from around the world and only a few of the great fighters in the rankings of the different weight divisions. Boxing has a DEEP pool of talent all fighting at a high level right now, putting on great fights, and bringing the sport back big time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    All I am saying is you don't see very many KO's in the first minute.

    Same cannot be said for MMA.
    I already addressed this earlier but I'll reiterate, that is because Boxers have better skills in numerous areas that allow them to avoid being knocked out from the head movement, waist movement, lateral movement, slipping, parrying, better regular blocking skills, to knowing better how to take punches, with better conditioning to taking punches in high volumes; and because the sport is more cerebral with a different approach that is centered more on straegy, analyzing an opponent, and breaking them down, rather than running out like a couple pitbulls in a dog fight. Boxing is about being smarter, pacing yourself, staying calm (which is very important), and feeling out an opponent before trying to go in and just put someones lights out. The overly aggresive approach of MMA is detrimental to fighters and you will likely see it be a detriment to Conor McGregor should he get stupid and try to come out really aggressive against Floyd Mayweather because he'll leave himself wide open for shots he's never taken before, that will be harder than he's ever taken before because they're coming from someone who knows how to hit with more speed and force than he's ever faced, with more precision, and his lack of balance with his wide stance and sloppy footwork so many fans think is cute to watch will hurt him big time, and you'll see his chin get exposed as he gets caught with his head straight up, neck out, just waiting to get knocked off his shoulders.

    The threat is much worse with the smaller gloves to put your lights out at any given moment.
    Debunked above, but it's not your fault. That's what you've been told, that's what you've been taught, and that's what you're supposed to think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    So much McGregor bashing in this thread makes me laugh, can't you blame a guy for rising from nothing (incidently like Floyd) who is now earning the big bucks by taking this win win fight, if he loses well he was an MMA fighter after all, if he somehow wins which I extremely doubt he could turn into a mega star. The man's talking is what is making this fight and his complete lack of respect to Mayweather which is an exceptional thing as most people normally lick the arse straight out the guy opponenet or not. As a purist point of view it's not ideal and a bit circus like but it can create some real fanfare, no way will I pay for it mind!
    I'll pick him apart from a technical standpoint all day, but no one should really crap on the guy for having the balls to get in the ring with the best defensive boxer or all time, a 12 time champion, in 5 different weight classes, who is also undefeated in more fights than he'll ever have. That takes a lot of balls and a lot of guts. I think it's rather foolish and revealing that so many MMA fans seem to think he has more than a punchers change, or that he's somehow going to wreck Mayweather, or bring something to the table he's never experienced or endured. McGregor isn't going to be faster than anyone Mayweather has ever fought, isn't going to hit harder than anyone Mayweather has fought, have better boxing skills than anyone Mayweather has fought, or bring be able to do anything else in the ring Mayweather hasn't already expreinced and defeated before. Guys have tried to get aggessive with him on many occassions and end up swinging at air, or paying for it for their troubles with pot shots, check hooks, counter-rights, and lets chasing. I understand fans getting hopeful but it would be nice if they were at least realistic and had any respect for boxing or one of it's greats, and his skills. Most people here have, I'm not really getting at the folks here, but in general in the media and a lot of other places, the general public consensus for example, people seem to be higher than bat pussy acting like this will be more than a one sided sparring session if not a complete blow-out or embarassing knockout.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

  11. #131
    The Dude Abides
    The Game Rage's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    6509

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with a lot of this. Just curious how much present day MMA you actually watch? Because it feels like you are putting Boxing way up high on a pedestal compared to it and it comes across like you don't watch much MMA nowadays. I had a long reply typed out but, honestly, it's not worth discussing. Almost everything you are saying about boxing can be applied to MMA. You either just don't know enough about MMA to think it through properly or you're deliberately biased towards boxing.
    I watch it regularly, it's on all the time and I'll watch anything. frankly it's cringe-worthy and sad most of the time imo because of all the deficiencies I see and how ridiculous a lot of these people look doing anything they can not to just stand and fight, but then I see them try and understand why they'd rather do anything but that.

    Yes, Boxing is way high up on a pedestal to me. I've loved boxing my entire life, my dad was a boxer and a damn good one, he was also a successful trainer, it's in my blood. He trained me, I've been a student all my life, I've used it extensively against all manner of opponent to nothing but success as well, so unlike most people I speak from experience here. I have also trained in Tae Kwon Do, 3 years to be exact, and studied multiple forms of martial arts using that as a base or reference point from Hapkido, Judo, and Jiu-Jitsu which are all similar in their own ways, to Kempo, Goju, Kyokoshin, Shorin, and Shotokan Karate which are merely different approaches to Karate, Mauy Thai, and I've always been proud of the fact that I also have read the Tao of Jeet-Kun-Do and learned as much from it as possible. Like most kids I thought Martial Arts were cool and the way to go. Once I really started learning it though it became pretty obvious to me that it wasn't very practical in real world application like boxing was.

    To me, because I love boxing so much, it is worth discussing, because as I mentioned, people don't seem to understand it or have much or an education in it, or anything else beyond their television, especially as it relates to how boxing fares against martial arts, let alone MIXED martial arts. I would argue that if the case were anything other than that, you wouldn't think what I was saying could all be applied to boxing, or come to a conclusion that I don't know enough about MMA when in fact I know more than the average person about both.

    "Anyone can do MMA" is particularly ignorant... "Anyone can do kicks, twist arms, choke someone" Well, anyone can punch someone too. All this stuff about footwork, cardio, head movement... it applies to kickboxing/thai too.There's a lot of intricacies that apply to grappling that you are likely ignorant of.
    Not really. There may be specific disciplines I don't know very well or just passingly but I know more than the average bear boo boo. My statement about on how anyone can do MMA, It's a statement of observable truth. Anyone can go sign up at an MMA gym and be a "Mixed Martial Artist" having NO background in anything, and walk around calling themselves an MMA fighter. Not anyone can just walk into a boxing gym and start training. They are going to work you out first, make you spar, and depending on how you do they're either going to work with you or tell you "Sorry but I don't think this is for you", but I've seen it and you haven't so what can you really say, no offense? Sure, anyone can simply punch someone but to undergo the actual training and be able to apply it both from a physical and mental standpoint is not something everyone can just DO the way anyone can go in an learn BJJ, Karate, TKD, or any of the other martial arts for example, that's just not reality, that's not how it works.

    And the big tell that you really don't know what you're talking about here, is your assumption that all this stuff about cardio, footwork, head movement, etc....that it all applies to kickboxing and muay thai the same, it doesn't. The mechanics, training, strategy, all of it is different. I'm not trying to be a dick but I'm also not going to sit here and let someone act like I don't know what I'm talking about when I've put so much time and learning into knowing EXACTLY what the fuck I'm talking about. I'm sure there are things you have an education in that I don't know the first thing about, and whatever that would be, I wouldn't sit here and try to act like I know as much about it as you, or like you didn't have a clue what you were saying because of my own lack of understanding. From the get go I said I was going to try and share a different point of view, a different understanding, and some concepts you probably haven't really been exposed to and that's what I've done.


    Also, calling MMA checkers is weird since I'm 99.9% sure (correct me if you want with a breakdown) that there are more routes to victory for someone in a MMA fight and thus more things that need to be defended/prevented. Tactics, gameplans, mental acumen all exist in MMA too.
    First I'll re-route you to that saying again "jack of all trades, master of none" there's a big problem right there, even when you get someone who has been training in one discipline for a long time, that's likely still going to be a student who hasn't really reached any measurable level of mastery, and it would be better that they stuck to it instead of trying to rape what they can from other disciplines to Frankenstein on whatever they can to their own. Something is always going to suffer with that mentality. In MMA it's largely their "striking skills" or rather lack of basic boxing skills that would greatly benefit them.

    Now as far as Chess vs Checkers, it is the fact that there ARE more routes to victory that it is so, and the fact that they DO have more things to defend or prevent that it is so, and by no means am I saying that MMA is devoid of tactics, game plans, and mental acumen, but just bare with me here. I realize that might seem confusing and backwards but indulge me and I'll explain. You see it is the ABSENCE of those multiple routes to victory that make Boxing more of a game of chess and make it in fact much harder, let me give you an example. Let's say you were trying to catch a fly. If you were left with only your hands to do so, it would take much more time, patience, thought, and planning as to how you were going to do it and b e nearly impossible to just catch it with your hands. Now if you had a fly swatter, sticky tape, a bug zapper, bug spray, and a bug net to do it you're using more tools obviously, and you have to know how to use them, but your job just became a million times easier and you don't have to think, or plan, or be as patient, or spend as much time trying to accomplish the same goal. You just use all these tools you have to your advantage and BINGO, you catch the fly. It's the same thing with Boxing vs MMA, it is the absence of all those luxuries which makes it much more tactical and cerebral.

    When you go on to talk about how MMA tactics are cheap and considered un-manly and how Boxing has rules to be 'pure' or whatever. If Boxing is such a great counter then why the hate? Surely you'd be able to counter all those unmanly tactics?
    Who said anything about hate? I mean, I do take issue with the fact that so many people look down on boxing and sell it so short, but I'm just explaining things from a different perspective and a different educational background with some historical context. And yes, that is right, you can counter all those tactics, quite easily in fact, but people like yourself, the general public, etc.....who have come up without a real education and understanding of Boxing have never really been made aware as they're sold this bag of goods called "MMA" which really amounts to a clever marketing slogan thought up in an attempt to legitimize what was and still is cage fighting; and since it is so much more attainable and like I said, anyone can do it, people have bought that bag of goods. As a result we get this prevailing mentality that "MMA" is this "Ultimate" form of fighting and these people involved are "Ultimate" fighters, the highest evolution of fighter. Sorry, but, not really. That was Bruce Lee and JKD pure and simple if you want the gods honest truth. JKD is the true Mixed Martial Art and if you knew anything about that, you'd also know that Bruce Lee and his Jun-Fan Gung-Fu was HEAVILY influenced by none other than Western Boxing. He knew there were problems with the traditional martial arts, several of which he had learned, and it was BOXING what showed him the way because it is formless and free moving, opposed to traditional martial arts which are very rigid and concrete. It was his observation that martial arts weren't all that practical because of that rigidity and concreteness, because what you're really doing are a series of choreographed moves, meant to offset another set of choreographed moves, but if the person attacking you isn't going along with that, you're not really equipped to deal with a random attacker. He realized the wonder in boxing of reaction to action without a strict form, and once he studied boxing it changed his ideals on training, diet, punching, footwork, head movement or overall defensive strategy, and unlocked this epiphany he had to create JKD. So I mean, it was good enough to teach him something and good enough for him to heavily incorporate it's principles, creating the very backbone of his own discipline, but I guess it's just too limited and one dimensional for todays experts in "Mixed Martial Arts".

    I would sure love to see a Boxer put a MMA fighter with a BJJ Black belt in a submission if it's so easy. Would sure love to see them take down a MMA Fighter who is a top pedigree wrestler, too.
    I think you're missing the point and naturally making some assumptions. The point is the boxer wouldn't be trying to do what the BJJ black belt does, they'd beat the shit out them before they could do what they think they're going to do because the BJJ black belt by sheer odds of probability has A. never even been in a real fight so they don't have the mental make-up to really respond adequately B. aren't trained to handle this particular form of attack and C. don't have the ability to endure the punishment they will be forced to absorb. There is this assumption that because these guys practice a martial art that utilizes a broader scope of tools they can just enforce their will and have their way with the boxer but that isn't really the case. They have to FIND A WAY to make all that happen and the burden is more on them. All the boxer has to do it land a couple clean punches, and with pressure, footwork, and controlling range and distance it's only inevitable. They still have to find a way to take the boxer to the ground and the simple fact is you can't take down what you can't catch, nor can you do any damage if you can't really get within arms reach, then, even if you do, boxers grapple all the time, it's called "The Clinch" and in the clinch they use a lot of the same principles of using their weight, the opponents, and in-fighting to do damage FROM the clinch. So you're left with trying to throw them down or take out the legs and unless you have the right position that's not happening either. Meanwhile that boxer can tee off on you, and odds are what you're going to do is try to get the hell away because that doesn't feel too good. But, I've only seen it and done it in real life so what do I know? I've only put down more people than cancer, that thought they knew some shit whether it was boxing, wrestling, or whatever form or martial arts they practiced. Experience, first hand knowledge, a lifetime of training, learning, and discipline are apparently nothing next to conjecture and what transfers over the t.v.


    You say you're not shitting on MMA... but that entire post is designed to deride MMA in favour of boxing. You pretty much come across as the same as MMA fanboy/boxing haters except the roles are reversed.
    Well that's not necessarily the case, it's a small critique of MMA, an explanation of what advantages Boxing comes with by comparison, and an explanation of why it as a form of martial arts or self defense is much more formidable than obviously you or many others would like to give it credit for. If every person who introduces a new point of view, with new or different knowledge, and a different overall conclusion comes across as a hater to you than you should probably avoid conversation where you might be exposed to different ideas. I've gladly taken what you and others have to say and think into consideration and answered without malice, without anger or hatefulness, just a sober honest commentary that goes against the grain you are used to. I didn't realize that would be so threatening and alien to you. It was merely my aim to show you things in a way you clearly haven't considered or been conditioned or educated to view from.

    Why must they be opposed? They're almost incomparable. There's nothing in your post that makes me think you know what you're talking in regards to MMA - which is why I curbed my long reply. We'd just go in circles because I don't think you'd understand any points I bring up.
    Good question, maybe you should go and ask Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor because they've decided they are, and one of them is going to step into a boxing ring thinking that because they're such a "Bad Ass MMA Fighter" they're going to wipe the floor with one of the greatest boxers of all time. Now I have repeatedly commended Conor McGregor for having the balls and the nerve, but whichever place, the ring or the octagon, it took place, what I'm saying, and many others by way of common sense because the disparity IS so great and constantly displayed within MMA, is that in the boxing ring the MMA fighter has NO chance, and while people think that the boxer in an octagon has no chance due to their lack of education and knowledge in the area of Boxing, for all the reason I've explained, that they actually have a much better chance than people give them, and that is where I have explained the areas the boxer excels, along with the tools they are equipped with are quite sufficient if used correctly. Regardless of what you think I know, I'd say I make a pretty decent case and I'm not saying in any and all circumstances the boxer outclasses the MMA fighter, but I do believe they are much more capable than the arm chair experts give them credit for.


    I
    don't get why you think it takes a 'genius' to be able to box but MMA is for simpletons or whatever. That's the vibe you give off.

    I'll add that I don't hate boxing at all.
    Oh I never got the vibe you hated boxing or anything, and that's not why I took the time and went to the lengths I did. I genuinely just wanted to try and open you among other people up to a different reality, a different understanding, and a different perspective that might make them think twice, give boxing another look, peak their curiosity maybe, possibly show them the beauty I see in it, and make the case I mentioned above that the boxer in an octagon isn't the equivalent of the one legged man in an ass kicking contest, but a very formidable opponent every bit as dangerous as in the boxing ring regardless of the MMA fighters ability to use more tools to their luxury. I already explained above why I call it chess vs checkers and if you're listening with an open mind and a level head instead of thinking I'm just trying to be a condescending dick, I think you'll see why that makes complete sense. I never said MMA was for simpletons or anything of the kind, I just used a best analogy I could off the top of my head. I understand how that can come across but hopefully you understand differently now as well. I made it clear I thought, as I said, I respect anyone that has the gumption and the balls to step into a ring no matter what shape it is and fight, and I stand by that. I have a preference of what I like better and I find it shameful that these guys in MMA aren't equipped with more basic skills of self defense they would otherwise receive in boxing, but that's not a condemnation of MMA, but rather the degree of training a lot of these guys get in that specific area, and I wouldn't have that sentiment if I didn't respect people's willingness to fight and have a big concern for their safety, well being, and ability to defend themselves. I think they would be much better served if they were taught a solid comprehensive base in Boxing FIRST but the fact of the matter there is that there aren't a huge supply of good boxing trainers out there for that to meet the demand of people trying to get into MMA. Sorry if all that give you the wrong vibe.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

  12. #132
    Shuyaku
    Kairi HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    30,313
    Rep Power
    179631
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Well I guess I found out theirs someone who loves Boxing and Martial Arts just as much as me

    Hey I heard news from Dana White they are going to try have the Judges for this fight to have experience not just in Boxing, but in MMA as well when it comes to judging.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

    Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

  13. #133
    One Batch, Two Batch
    RaiZ-R's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,359
    Rep Power
    91428

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Timing wise, him vs Aldo just didn't work out due to UFC 200 and 202 being too close to each other and Aldo taking a shitload of time off like always. Even if you blame McGregor for the Diaz stuff, you can easily say Aldo should have just defended his IC belt as it was obvious that McGregor was going to drop the belt anyway. The IC belt should've kept the division moving - that is it's purpose, after all - and it failed. He could've fought Aldo, won again and challenged for 155 title but really... why would it matter? He'd probably still intend to drop the 145 belt anyway and things would roughly end up where they are now anyway. I know Aldo said UFC offered McGregor the chance to do the second fight instead of Alvarez but I don't believe it. Once again, nobody in their right mind is taking a rematch with a guy who got sparked in 13 seconds over the chance to win a second belt. It is what it is. It's not McGregor's fault entirely, it's not Aldo's, UFC has to shoulder the blame and everything lies in the middle. Really comes down to ambition but I think a rematch with Aldo can wait for later... but it'll never happen now cause Aldo got killed by Holloway.

    McGregor took a break from fighting after winning the Lightweight belt so he could spend time with his girlfriend as well as his newly born son. That's why he was inactive early this year. Was waiting on his boy being born and I guess didn't want to be away from his new family knowing that any fight he does is going to have some mega world tour and crazy ass media engagements. I guess him chasing the fight is dumb and I didn't particularly want it to happen but I don't think he chased the fight because he doesn't want to defend his belt or because he doesn't respect MMA. I dunno why he isn't fighting in UFC but I recall him and Dana having a tiff at some point. I guess it's not very motivating when your top contender is a dude who has only fought twice in the last 3 years. But I do recall reading recently that McGregor would fight Khabib in Russia after Mayweather.

    No, I do know people who are dispassionate about what they do. Some work in supermarkets and care not a jot. Some work shitty admin jobs. The thing is - you can't just blanket things like that. Ask yourself - do you genuinely think someone can be a MMA superstar like McGregor without having the passion for it? Working shitty jobs is easy but do you think someone who has no passion for MMA would be spending weeks in intense training camps, flying all over the place to do media, cutting weight and feeling miserable as fuck just for a single fight? You, quite simply, don't become one of the best MMA fighters ever without having some form of passion for the sport whether that be reinforced by a passion for money, ambition to be the best, whatever. The fact is - McGregor loves the fight game. He loves to fight, he loves to talk shit, he's into it all. If McGregor didn't like fighting, he wouldn't do it anymore. He's made enough to retire. But I just don't think MMA is something that fits the example of "excelling whilst being dispassionate" as MMA requires a lot of motivation and passion to produce results.

    The motivation for McGregor is probably to continue keep making the money plus if he does KO Mayweather and go back to MMA, he will be drawing a shit ton of eyes to MMA. He mightn't need the UFC anymore... but if he's passionate about the sport then he will come back. McGregor isn't someone who goes back on his word very often. The UFC would need him and he knows it. They bend to his every need. He could make every fight of his a huge spectacle if he wanted. He's spoke about going to Russia and doing the whole Rocky treatment. I dunno what he does but I do think he will come back. McGregor can't help himself.
    Okay, it's getting late and I'm being OCD about my posting again and wanna get in the GOT and Spider-Man threads before I sleep but I can't do that because I start at the top of the forum and work my way down so this is gonna be as short as I can make it because I'm tired and I feel a little bit like we're going round in circles.

    I definitely blame UFC just as much as I blame McGregor, and as far as the Aldo stuff goes I'll take your word for it because you are far more knowledgeable on MMA and it's related news items and topics of discussion than I am. I didn't know that McGregor was waiting on a baby (read that with an Irish accent, cos that's how I typed it) but I certainly feel like he's been talking about fighting Mayweather for fucking ever and he saw this time off as an opportunity to double down on that.

    I do also think that you be an MMA fighter and not be passionate about it but maybe I need to clarify my meaning there because maybe we're getting caught up in what that means; I think McGregor is a passionate man, that is obvious, he loves his family and he loves his life and he certainly seems to love money as well, he is passionate about all of that... I think he likes fighting, I think he has natural ability combined with a will to succeed that comes from his upbringing and that has motivated him to become as good as he is in order to ensure a better life for his family as a whole, but I'm not sure I see love for fighting in him like I do when I listen to guys like Matt Serra or Forrest Griffin (back in the day at least) talk about it. Anderson Silva and BJ Penn were two guys I was a huge fan of about ten years ago when I got into the sport but it became clear after a while that both had lost there passion for fighting and were just going through the motion, still highly-skilled but not putting in the effort they had been before because they wanted to do other things instead. I don't think McGregor is at the level of apathy either of those two reached before their respective paths took them on different journeys out of and back into the octagon but I do think that if McGregor had the chance to be doing something else, he would be... hence the fact that he's doing this fight. I'm also not saying he's stupid for doing that. Fighters can't have long careers, it's the nature of the business, and he needs to find something that can fix him and his family up for life.

    I'd just prefer it, personally, if he did it after defending his bloody title.

    I hope he does come back, he makes everything feel like a big event because he's basically a little Irish version of The Rock.

  14. #134
    On Vacation
    Roman Reigns Fan's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,786
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    I don't care about boxing or MMA. I just love Conor McGregor because he creates so much controversy. All of the drama from these promos or whatever they are, I adore and I live for it. I hope Conor wins with one punch, then makes up the time cutting a promo.

  15. #135
    People's Champion
    Austerio's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,021
    Rep Power
    17687
      Country                    United States

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend Killer View Post
    I don't care about boxing or MMA. I just love Conor McGregor because he creates so much controversy. All of the drama from these promos or whatever they are, I adore and I live for it. I hope Conor wins with one punch, then makes up the time cutting a promo.
    This is me lol Conor McGregor is the shit, I don't even watch the fights, just his promos

    Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

  16. #136
    Shuyaku
    Kairi HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    30,313
    Rep Power
    179631
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Watch his fights for sure far more entertaining than Floyd Mayweather's fight which I've seen them of all. I've been watching both guys fights and I saw clips of Paulie Malignaggi sparring with Connor which I said many pages back he needs to do to understand the rhyme of Boxing vs MMA.



    Connor having both his hands behind his back da hell that's one of the weirdest styles I've seen could confuse Floyd early on. Now like before I've been watching tape on both guys, do MMA or Boxers even watch tape on their opponents anyone? I know they let do all tat work sometimes and trust their training, but I never see it on 24/7 type of documentaries leading to fights. Floyd to me hasn't taken damage before or after his fight with Cotto. Cotto really had a great formula to hurt Floyd the corner and come up with combos with both of his hands. I remember Floyd's Dad not being his Trainer having problems with Mayweather at the time said I need to get back with my Son he took too much damage and that's not my Son out there. Floyd was trying to fight with Cotto and not do his gameplan and to me around the middle of the fight Cotto was stealing rounds, and Floyd came back in the Championship rounds. If Connor can use this bullying tactic and make Floyd pay it shall help him later in the fight. Connor conditioning is a question to me going into this fight, and being too wild out there could hurt him. If I'm Connor you come hard Round 1 and set the tone of I know who you are Floyd, but I'm not gonna sit and fall asleep to your pace.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

    Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

  17. #137
    Sky Blue Hyper Technican
    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Osaka-Jo Hall
    Posts
    2,867
    Rep Power
    84444
      Country                    Great Britain

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    I dont get the hype around mcgregor, other then becoming a double champion which dana only sanctioned because of his popularity, i don't get what is special about him. Even his promos are a bit meh to me, he gets stumbled a lot, he just trash talks thats it really, he has an accent which makes him stand out and mix that with some charisma but other then that nothing. He is more charasmatic then most fighters which makes him stand out but he is really nothing special.
    RAINMAKER!!!

  18. #138
    Shuyaku
    Kairi HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    30,313
    Rep Power
    179631
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion



    All Access time Part 1! You know for all the Media being put on Mayweather/McGregor Boxing fans like myself knows GGG/Canelo is going to be better than this fight in every way!

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

    Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

  19. #139
    Cheese!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,185
    Rep Power
    41490

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Its very narrow minded to just pass boxing off as one dimensional. Ultimately when you consider the vast majority of skills executed within MMA are at a very, very low level the dimensions withing boxing and MMA are very similar. Rock em sock em robots striking/TDs/grappling vs. punches/feints/counters/defence/footwork. I mena it took 20 years of the UFC being around before anyone in MMA even bothered to learn what a jab was.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Well I guess I found out theirs someone who loves Boxing and Martial Arts just as much as me

    Hey I heard news from Dana White they are going to try have the Judges for this fight to have experience not just in Boxing, but in MMA as well when it comes to judging.
    I dont get the point of that. Its a boxing match.

    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


  20. #140
    Cheese!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,185
    Rep Power
    41490

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    The closer this fight gets the less I care about it. I'm a fan of big fights, I need something to make me care about the fight, but this whole thing has just been ridiculous so far.

    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •