Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 225

Thread: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

  1. #101
    Mid-Card Champion
    Gambit's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    21229

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Tonight was a shit show for sure. The form voltron mess had me rolling.

  2. #102
    Cheese!
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,184
    Rep Power
    41490

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    He said that because I think Floyd from what I heard he owes the IRS $22 Million Dollars in Taxes from 2015 so saying he's poor and needs the money is just a major jab on news that broke this week on the situation. He said that he has a 100 Million Check he hasn't cashed yet, which is so dumb. Why do you keep a check of that worth, and not cash it when you get it? I don't know how you can not pay Taxes for 2 years and then the IRS come out no where to say hey you owe us money. You would think with the name, and his celebrity status he would of gotten the word on that way sooner rather than two years.




    Floyd pretty much said in the first video this is pretty much it for him in Boxing. This Camp mentally and physically has taken a toll on him and that's no shocker considering he hasn't fought in two years. Connor thought Mayweather wasn't going to be ready for the talking, he should of researched Floyd has been getting in the head of fighters for years. With that being said I liked how Connor gave to him, and Floyd gave it back. Over the years it's been Floyd tearing his opponents to shreds and his opponents couldn't keep with him verbally. Please tell me why is Floyd's kids on stage yelling at Connor, they shouldn't be there at all don't stir up shit that is what is Daddy is for lol. I'm IRS and I'm going to Tax that ass
    I'm fully aware of the IRS situation, its just ridiculous for Conor to be flashing his relative peanuts and calling Floyd poor when Floyds absurdly rich and has pulled 100 million plus per fight several times while Conors like a few million at most fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    Show me proof that Connor loves what he's doing and isn't just doing it to make a quick buck.

    If I was doing something that I loved and it earned me millions, it'd be great. I'm not saying that it wouldn't. My personal opinion of Connor however is that he's an incredibly talented fighter who also happens to be a total fucking arsehole and has proven time and time again that he doesn't give a single shit about titles when there's money to be made farting about elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate McGregor for making money... heck, I don't hate McGregor at all, I just find his lack of respect for the titles he's held to be insulting and I personally find the constant pursuit of riches to be somewhat petty and indicative of deeper personal issues that are being ignored. At a certain point, the amount of money you have becomes enough and McGregor passed that a long time ago.



    I'm not shocked Dana would support silencing the media to be honest.



    The fight itself is a big deal because of how many casual/lapsed fight fans are interested in these two names meeting. What's more important is what comes after it. Floyd's already said he's done but it's a boxing match so it might help rekindle some people's interest in that sport just by existing. Connor's the wild card here; win or lose, if he doesn't go back to fighting at least once then it does nothing for MMA at all. No one watches this and then checks out MMA just cos, but if Connor has even just one last fight in MMA and people that saw this follow him, then it could help make waves for the UFC and the sport as a whole by association.



    I believe he was making a joke HoHo, you can probably let it go.
    You're really reaching there. It just seems like you're projecting there, talking about supposed deeper issues for Conor, is there some issues there yourself that drives such thought?

    Like do you have any evidence that Conor is the money hungry whore who has zero passion for what he does that you're claiming? Taking big money, big fight offers when they come doesn't mean you have no passion. It means you're smart, and means you're human.
    Last edited by ETE; 07-14-2017 at 09:02 PM.

    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


  3. #103
    Mid-Card Champion
    Gambit's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    21229

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Give me a couple million and I'll fight Floyd Mayweather!!

  4. #104
    Pain does not lie
    Kairi HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winterfell
    Posts
    29,507
    Rep Power
    143537
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion



    Final Press Conference in London. Man Connor and Floyd must be tired as hell with this tour, and now they have to go back to their Camps and train woof.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

    Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

  5. #105
    The Cult of Mayu Iwatani
    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    In a bubble
    Posts
    2,079
    Rep Power
    38942
      Country                    Great Britain

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    These press conferences have done the opposite of their purpose. It has made me less excited, so cringy.

  6. #106
    Cheese!
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,184
    Rep Power
    41490

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    These press conferences have done the opposite of their purpose. It has made me less excited, so cringy.
    Agreed, its all just mostly been so stupid and cringe worthy.

    And while I like Conor I'm a little put off by him in these press conferences. I know it does no one any good for Conor to not be humble and just say "Floyds great I'm going to get outboxed". But his shit talk, and his ridiculous clothes and everything else. Its just so stupid. Conors nothing compared to Floyd realistically. He's made peanuts compared to Floyd and knocked out a few guys who wouldn't even be in the top 2000 in boxing and hes trying to act like he's the big deal here.

    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


  7. #107
    Pain does not lie
    Kairi HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winterfell
    Posts
    29,507
    Rep Power
    143537
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Yeah the purpose is sell Tickets and PPV Buys, and honestly for a guy who started watching Boxing as a kid these Press Conferences have caused enough talk to not only get people talking good or bad, but also get people to want to see the fight just to see what will happen more than any fight I've seen in quite awhile. I mean Pacquiao vs Mayweather was great, but the build in terms of talking wasn't all that exciting. This fight kinda needed both guys to talk shit, because that's who they are, but people are forgetting the Post Conferences after they are really respectful I've seen towards each other.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

    Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

  8. #108
    WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB
    Tiny RaiZ's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,264
    Rep Power
    82193

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    I can't believe I'm reading a claim that Conor McGregor has no passion for fighting Can't the guy have a passion for fighting and money?
    He can. I don't believe that he does though.

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    You're really reaching there. It just seems like you're projecting there, talking about supposed deeper issues for Conor, is there some issues there yourself that drives such thought?

    Like do you have any evidence that Conor is the money hungry whore who has zero passion for what he does that you're claiming? Taking big money, big fight offers when they come doesn't mean you have no passion. It means you're smart, and means you're human.
    Maybe I am projecting, who knows, but I see no evidence that this isn't just a way to make money for him. He didn't come from money and as soon as he got a taste of it he's gone mad with it, spending it on shit no one in their right mind would want or need - you only need to look at how he dresses half the time, like a toddler in a costume box, or that car he has with his own face on it, or the fact that he's literally admitted in interviews to having actual issues he's referred to as "obsessions" with making and spending money.

    I feel like if you have passion for something, you also respect it. Connor McGregor has won four world titles and vacated three of them without defending them. He doesn't take big money offers, he chases them, he creates them and the pattern suggests that he does that in order to avoid having to actually defend the titles he won. Not defending your title, to me that's an act of disrespect towards the title and the sport, and McGregor goes out of his way to not defend his titles.

    I'm not suggesting I know anything more about the man than anyone else here, I'm just putting forward my opinion based on the way he acts, and my opinion is that he isn't in MMA because he cares about the sport, but because he see's it as a way to make big money by busting open doors like this one. I'm not saying he's stupid for that, far from it. I just don't like the trait in him and as such I'm hoping Mayweather beats him.

    Honestly, I'm a little surprised so many people here like him so much they feel the need to defend him when he absolutely wouldn't give a shit even if I said it to his face.

  9. #109
    Cheese!
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,184
    Rep Power
    41490

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    He can. I don't believe that he does though.



    Maybe I am projecting, who knows, but I see no evidence that this isn't just a way to make money for him. He didn't come from money and as soon as he got a taste of it he's gone mad with it, spending it on shit no one in their right mind would want or need - you only need to look at how he dresses half the time, like a toddler in a costume box, or that car he has with his own face on it, or the fact that he's literally admitted in interviews to having actual issues he's referred to as "obsessions" with making and spending money.

    I feel like if you have passion for something, you also respect it. Connor McGregor has won four world titles and vacated three of them without defending them. He doesn't take big money offers, he chases them, he creates them and the pattern suggests that he does that in order to avoid having to actually defend the titles he won. Not defending your title, to me that's an act of disrespect towards the title and the sport, and McGregor goes out of his way to not defend his titles.

    I'm not suggesting I know anything more about the man than anyone else here, I'm just putting forward my opinion based on the way he acts, and my opinion is that he isn't in MMA because he cares about the sport, but because he see's it as a way to make big money by busting open doors like this one. I'm not saying he's stupid for that, far from it. I just don't like the trait in him and as such I'm hoping Mayweather beats him.

    Honestly, I'm a little surprised so many people here like him so much they feel the need to defend him when he absolutely wouldn't give a shit even if I said it to his face.
    The desire to make money and passion aren't mutually exclusive though. They go hand in hand a lot of the time. I'm not even so much defending Conor as much is it just disputing this armchair psychology of yours where you claim to know the motivations of someone you know little about.

    You're definitely reaching with this idea that he actively doesn't want to defend any Titles. He just goes after the bigger fight, like every fighter ever. You always want the bigger fight. If the bigger fight offer on the table involves Conor defending a Title he will. But whats bigger fighting Floyd, or fighting an unprofessional bum like Khabib who routinely fucks up?

    As far as his Title vacating goes...well immediately after winning the two Cage Warriors Titles he was singed by the UFC. Whats he meant to do, turn the UFC down so he can defend some low level belts?

    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


  10. #110

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    15,034
    Rep Power
    358954
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Conor's passionate. You don't become a success in MMA if you have zero passion for fighting. Just doesn't happen. Conor was on benefits and was a trainee plumber as he worked his way up through the MMA scene in Europe. He wouldn't have stuck at it if he had no passion. He clearly has passion in wanting to be the best fighter the world has seen. His choice of vacating the Cage Warriors titles is a bit daft to bring up because he was offered a UFC spot after winning the CWFC 155lbs belt. Nobody is turning down the UFC. As far as his two UFC belts go - He didn't vacate the 145lbs to win the 155lbs belt, he was stripped of the 145lbs title for division inactivity. But not fight inactivity as we saw him fight Diaz twice and Alvarez once. That fight only came about because Dos Anjos pulled out. McGregor didn't even have to fight Diaz either but he did. The UFC have a say in the matchmaking process just as much as he does so it's not solely on his shoulders who he fights. He wanted to be the first dual champion in UFC history - that signals ambition to be recognised as the best to me. He has spoken about fighting Mayweather over the years so this isn't something that came out of the blue.

    Regarding how he spends his money - anyone who has been on benefits suddenly earning millions is going to start spending it on ridiculous shit. Imagine going from what... £250 a month to multi millions? That's fucking insane.

    We're not defending him because we like him. We're defending him because of the suggestion that someone who is at the very top of the MMA tree has no passion for the sport. You don't get to be the best in MMA if you have no passion or dedication to fighting. You don't go to a gym and bust your ass throughout a training camp if you have no passion for fighting. You certainly don't put yourself through the ridiculousness of weight cutting for it either. McGregor grew up without a real passion and was stuck doing nothing til he got into MMA. He's spoken about this before. He strikes me as someone who has a love for the sport and a love for the money it brings. He's passionate about fighting, representing his country on the world stage and getting paid for it. That's it. He's a smart individual who can recognise that fighting in MMA is only half the story. You have to promote yourself. It's a business.


    I saw a comment in here too that suggested McGregor's only liked because he's cocky and talks shit. Not true. He's liked because he's a good fighter, he represents a great story for the working man and a ton of his fans have Irish roots. I'm a fan of him because he talks the talk and walks the walk. He's unapologetic about who he is and what he stands for. He doesn't come across as a fake personality or 'forced' by the UFC machine like a ton of other fighters do.
    ----



    ----




    IMPORTANT MESSAGE

    Spoiler:




    ~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:






  11. #111
    The Dude Abides
    The Game Rage's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    6509

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Alright. I've dusted off the old keyboard for this one. Buckle up folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    I think it's fair to assume that most boxers would destroy most MMA fighters in a boxing bout but it works the other way too. McGregor would annihilate Mayweather in a MMA bout. Probably even a kickboxing match too tbh.
    I personally am not so sure about that and have some alternative theories. Mayweather - McGregor specifically in an octagon? Maybe not, but I have some rare insight to the overall question that is less heard or spoken.


    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Put it this way - did beating James Toney in 2010 cement Randy Couture's legacy as one of the greatest ever? No, it did dick all for him because it was a gimmick fight against someone who wasn't actually an MMA fighter and was therefore at a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage in that fight. That's basically what this is, except McGregor isn't past his prime and both guys can sell the fuck out of a fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    When James Tomey stepped into the Octagon and got worked hard, did that embarrass all of boxing? Of course not.
    And here's the thing about that, James Toney was around 40 something years old with a lot of boxing mileage on him, well past his prime, having lost all discipline for training, and at the point he couldn't get a fight in boxing anymore. The only reason he moved up to heavyweight in boxing was so he could eat whatever he wanted, and his run there was something of a joke too.

    Point being. There was nothing TO GAIN from that crossover with that particular fighter.

    It was an embarrassment for James Toney and a testament to how far the mighty had fallen, but in the eyes of many MMA fans (and this is where I take umbrage) it was PROOF that MMA was superior to boxing and I feel that is just not true, not on any level.

    Don't forget Ray Mercer - Tim Sylvia. That was a way out of his prime OLD Ray Mercer. Just depends on the match-up and the approach of each fighter. I've found tons of videos on youtube as well of boxers demolishing people of various different martial arts.


    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    How? Legitimately curious how one of the UFC's biggest stars competing in another sport, against one of the greatest boxers of his generation, would reflect on the promotion in a negative way if the likely outcome occurs?
    Ya know I really appreciate your estimation of the situation, and agree with you actually. MMA fighters DO NOT BOX, these are two different sports, and there is a great disparity between MMA "Stand - Up" and Professional Boxing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Anyone with even a marginal knowledge of both MMA and boxing understands how different they are and recognizes that even the very best strikers in MMA are not using high level boxing. They aren't using actual boxing at all.
    THIS!

    and read MC's quote here too, I grabbed it as part of a response, and then continue my own using what he said for reference.

    Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I think about it, the ufcs biggest star gets knocked out by arguably boxings biggest star would be embarrassing for ufc since mma arguably has taken over boxings territory and despite boxing being called not as good or exciting the boxing star beat the mma star. I doubt it would affect them financially but their egos would be affected truly
    There is another layer to this. You have to understand for folks like myself, a lifelong boxing STUDENT and PRACTITIONER, this fight means a lot for Boxing. This fight sets to put a spotlight on just what a difference there really is, just how skilled a boxer is at what he does, and just how great of athletes they really are vs what MMA FANS who do not understand boxing and it's intricacies THINK they know. I've been hearing it for years from arm chair experts and MMA fan boys alike how MMA is so superior to boxing, how mixed martial artists are such superior fighters; oh not just that, they're ULTIMATE fighters, compared to boxers, and how boxers just have nooooo chance beating MMA fighters, when experience, knowledge, and an educated eye tells me much differently.

    People do not respect boxing anymore and understand it even less. Add to that the constant marketing campaigns telling them these expendable paint by numbers fighters they see on UFC Unleashed are "ULTIMATE FIGHTERS" "the baddest men on the planet" when truth be told they couldn't last in a boxing ring, which is supposedly the inferior practice, and what you get in turn is a bunch of rabid fans who think a guy like Connor McGregor is going to destroy Floyd Mayweather and just annihilate the "inferior fighter" the boxer. I could explain extensively, why that is 99.9% fantasy vs reality but luckily I don't have to here it seems and you guys are tethered to reality which I greatly appreciate btw. But, from a boxing fans perspective, you have to at least understand that for us, this is a chance for Boxing to regain some respect and show the masses how wrong their commercial knowledge really is as it pertains to the two type of fighters. Understand also that I don't have an axe to grind against MMA itself either. I respect anyone to some degree who has the balls to step in the ring and fight whatever shape that ring may be.


    Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Thats the key thing here. Mayweather is a modern great in boxing and Conor doesn't even have a amateur boxing background....and this is a pure boxing match. If anything Floyd is under much more pressure here as he NEEDS to win. MMA may be bigger in terms of mass appeal but no one with any braincells would downplay MMA or Conor if he got knocked out by Mayweather. The only reason Conor may be able to go more than one round with Floyd is simply due to conditioning and strength.
    Connor McGregor actually DOES has some Amateur boxing experience, he's even trained at the famous Wild Card Gym as an amateur as I recall, but it should be quite telling that despite that, he didn't continue to pursue boxing, he went to MMA instead.

    Next I'm going to address something else you mentioned while highlighting some of what others had to say.......

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Is MMA really bigger than boxing?

    I'd argue the opposite. Boxing's popularity has waned compared to the glory days (more so in the States) but the successes of guys like Golovkin, Joshua, Fury, etc. is bigger than the likes of Miocic, Mighty Mouse, Aldo, Jones, Joanna, etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Not sure how MMA has "taken over" boxing's territory. Boxing is still the bigger sport in most ways. If you look at most business indicators, MMA has seen a drop in the last few years from its peak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Is MMA bigger than Boxing that's a good fucking question there, and I say it's a push at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulCoxatron View Post
    Boxing is far and away bigger than MMA. It's not even a question.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Boxing has the historical aspect attach to it but outside the big name matches is it really doing numbers? Sorry if I'm wrong as I don't follow either religiously but In the modern day I just seem to here a lot more about MMA as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Not really. But neither is MMA. The UFC can still pop a million or better buyrate with McGregor, and they could with Rousey (but she done). But whereas a fairly decent card without a huge name used to hit 500K buys easy, they are now pretty lucky to do half of that on a lot of cards. Tons of reasons - oversaturation, lack of stars, decline in PPV as a format. Big fight cards in boxing are in that area or a bit better, but the very top end can kill the UFC in terms of both buys and revenue. And the fighters are paid notably better in boxing.
    MMA has become very very popular in the U.S., Canada, and also the U.K. as I understand it. Boxing however, is still GLOBALLY the larger and more respected sport. You have to take into account that boxing has over 120 sanctioning organizations around the globe in just about every country on the planet, with a long rich history that goes all the way back to ancient Greece technically, or if you want to talk about more recent history all the way back to 1867 and the Marquees of Queensbury Rules which still largely govern Boxing today. Boxing still commands the highest pay days for the fighters at the top of the ranks, and this isn't reliant on the American market either which speaks to Boxing's global popularity, Mexico for instance is such a huge boxing country they can make a fight worth millions on their own.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vayne View Post
    McGregor fanboys who are convinced he is the greatest fighter and athlete ever, and hate Mayweather for being a cocky asshole.

    Oh, wait. Isn't that just a tad ironic and hypocritical.

    I think 95% of the reason anyone even likes McGregor is the same reason they are bashing Mayweather...trash talking and cocky.
    That's hitting the nail right on the head. I've detested Floyd's antics for years and only in his last couple fights come around to the understanding that he just does it for show, to hype fights, and drive up the gate. But, I have largely found that kind of behavior as a disservice to the sport and feel that boxing is above that and deserves more dignity unto itself than for people to act like that.

    I touched on it earlier, McGregor fanboys are simply being swayed by clever advertising and marketing campaigns BUILDING him as the greatest fighter ever. Some odd years ago it was Tim Silvia, Chuck Liddell, TIto Ortiz, B.J. Penn, Matt Hughes, etc.....the list goes on and the fighters keep getting traded in and out like dirty socks. He's the flavor of the month and nothing more. He's done what plenty of guys have done before him, look unstoppable for a short time, make some money, and is now passing through like the rest did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    There are fans out there who are drinking the Kool-aid and think this is the most important fight in combat sports history. Some people are HYPED.

    Can't say I share that view at all. I'm far more skeptical and realistic about what this is and what is means. But I'm not going to try to take someone else's excitement away... unless they start to make outrageous claims about how much this fight means, legacies on the line, sports will be embarrassed, etc. but as a whole, if someone wants to believe this is the fight of the Millennium, have at it.
    In my mind the ones drinking the kool-aid are these MMA/Connor fans who are so out of touch with Boxing, know nothing about it, don't really understand the first concept of boxing, and think they know something about MMA because they watch it and learned some vocabulary listening to the announcers. On a personal level for a lot of boxing fans I think this does mean a lot, as it does for these MMA/Connor fans all acting like "fuck boxing", but "fight of the millennium" I wouldn't say so. I think if Floyd were to lose it would give a lot of ammunition to the arguments of boxing haters and MMA elitists, and would hurt Floyd's legacy to some extent as he finally took a loss, but not ruin it or boxing completely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    I just love the build up to this fight. Boxing has been a dead sport since the 90s if we're being honest. Besides Pacquio and Mayweather who do casuals know that would even remotely want to watch a fight in boxing? The press conferences have been gold. Floyd I think is shook mentally because he's never had anyone spar with him verbally like this. Possibly the best pro wrestling build up if I say so.
    This tells me you simply haven't been following and don't watch it. The biggest fight of the year is still yet to come and it isn't Floyd vs Connor, it's Saul Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin, believe that, and there have already been several other great fights this year. Boxing is alive, well, and on a resurgent upswing rest assured.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

  12. #112
    Come and take it
    Stonewall Dakson's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    19,833
    Rep Power
    70605
      Country                    United States

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Anyone who thinks Mayweather will actually do any damage whatsoever to McGregor are fooling themselves.

    There is absolutely no way he ever knocks him down let alone knocks him out.

    I expect Mayweather to play it safe and run from McGregor and land just enough defensive punches to score points which is his go to MO.

    That is how I see the match going.

    Now what I hope is a different story. I hope McGregor's unconventional moves and fighting style give him the edge and he is able to get in and destroy Mayweather.

    I would love nothing more than seeing him get totally KO'd and be out for a long time.

    I don't think there is much of a chance but we can hope.

  13. #113

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    15,034
    Rep Power
    358954
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Yes, McGregor would annihilate Mayweather in a MMA bout IMO as would the vast majority of UFC fighters at Floyd's weight. The opposite is the same that most boxers would probably annihilate McGregor in a boxing match. It is what it is.

    As for Ray Mercer, he did submit to Kimbo Slice and that's pretty embarrassing IMO. Boxers aren't well rounded enough to cut it in MMA.

    Your words about people saying MMA fighters are superior etc... That's people judging on the basis of a fullblown MMA fight and not a Boxing fight.

    We all know Boxing is intricate and requires a great deal of intelligence but MMA is and does too. But obviously people are going to put MMArtists on a pedestal when they seem to cover a wider base. Boxing, to most, is simple because it's one dimensional in that it is a stand up fight revolving around punches. Compare that to MMA where you have punching, elbows, kicks, knees, throws, submissions, ground transitions etc. It's no surprise if people consider a MMA fighter superior. They're likely to assume that a boxer is better in that department but behind in every other. I don't see Floyd having better kicks, knees, elbows, grappling etc. than McGregor for example but he's definitely the better boxer.

    So yes, of course most MMA fighters aren't going to last in a boxing ring because they'd have most of their trained weapons taken away whilst the Boxer has all of his.


    McGregor was boxing when he was 12(?) and ended up moving to a new home. He probably fell out of it because, like most his age, he started to party and grow up. He met Tom Egan and decided to step into MMA. I don't think you can really read into him choosing MMA over Boxing much. I'm pretty sure going to a UFC event inspired him also.

    Regarding McGregor getting the same hype as others before him... I really don't think it's the same as the majority of people you've listed. He's also done what nobody else has before him - hold 2 UFC belts simultaneously. I'd say he's pretty much in a league of his own. And he gets the hype because he is at the top of the new age of MMA where the sport has evolved to produce proper athletes now.

    If Floyd loses, boxing is embarrassed big time. 49-0 best of his generation losing to a 0-0 MMA fighter ? That'd be bad. The credibility of who Floyd has beaten dips too. There's a definite ripple effect.


    I like Boxing at times but it's too restricted for me. I love slugfests and Joshua/Klitschko was amazing but I find I'm not greatly entertained by most fights like I am with Kickboxing or MMA. I also find the amount of title belts a bit too much of a clusterfuck too. At the end of the day, Boxing and MMA are way too different to compare and this fight really isn't going to offer an answer to the Boxing vs MMA question.

    But I'd love it if McGregor came out and feinted takedown attempts and kicks just to fuck with Floyd. Would be funny. Are there rules against feinting those strikes? I would have to think so.
    ----



    ----




    IMPORTANT MESSAGE

    Spoiler:




    ~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:






  14. #114
    The Dude Abides
    The Game Rage's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    6509

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    I just want to preface by saying I'm just trying to engage in friendly banter and express some of my ideas that I feel are less shared and maybe even provide a perspective or information not previously considered. I just don't want to come across like an argumentative dick. It's been a while since I've really been around and I'm just happy to engage and have the conversation with willing participants again.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Yes, McGregor would annihilate Mayweather in a MMA bout IMO as would the vast majority of UFC fighters at Floyd's weight. The opposite is the same that most boxers would probably annihilate McGregor in a boxing match. It is what it is.
    See, what I think it bullshit though is that people seem to give an MMA fighter like McGregor so much more of a chance out of his game, than say a Floyd Mayweather out of his or any boxer in general. I think it's either a lack of understanding or a lack of respect for boxing and the level of athletes, which are exceptional to sports in general, that take part in the sport. I understand the perception and why, but I think it's nonetheless short sighted or at least kind of ill-informed to some degree.


    As for Ray Mercer, he did submit to Kimbo Slice and that's pretty embarrassing IMO. Boxers aren't well rounded enough to cut it in MMA.
    Hence my commentary on how old and past it Mercer was. Tim Sylvia was no big accomplishment but he was at least a former UFC heavyweight champion that was hyped to the moon for his time and place while UFC was on the rise.

    As for Boxers not being "well rounded" enough, see I think that's the misconception and the part where people just aren't understanding boxing and what it actually has to offer or provides it's practitioners. Who is to say really that being well rounded means you fight in the style of MMA? What about the deficiency of striking skills in MMA? What about the conditioning of the average MMA fighter vs the conditioning of the average Boxer? What about the ability to hit and not get hit of a boxer vs a MMA fighter? Or the ability to take shots in general of the average boxer vs the average MMA fighter? How about head and waist movement, footwork, the mental game, etc....all aspect of combat where I would say Boxers are far more advanced and in turn need not rely on the same tactics as those in MMA? I think there are relevant and valuable questions to pose.

    Your words about people saying MMA fighters are superior etc... That's people judging on the basis of a fullblown MMA fight and not a Boxing fight.
    Well now lets see what you have to say about that below......

    We all know Boxing is intricate and requires a great deal of intelligence but MMA is and does too. But obviously people are going to put MMArtists on a pedestal when they seem to cover a wider base. Boxing, to most, is simple because it's one dimensional in that it is a stand up fight revolving around punches.Compare that to MMA where you have punching, elbows, kicks, knees, throws, submissions, ground transitions etc. It's no surprise if people consider a MMA fighter superior. They're likely to assume that a boxer is better in that department but behind in every other. I don't see Floyd having better kicks, knees, elbows, grappling etc. than McGregor for example but he's definitely the better boxer.
    Now I get the common sense of what you are saying here but lets look at the mentality that's been built in there. That MMA covers a wider base. Does it? because last I checked they lack sound basic fundamentals of boxing striking, footwork, head movement, waist movement, blocking, parrying, slipping, and do not have the same level of stamina and endurance. One dimensional? It may seem that way and on the surface okay, it SEEMS that way, but consider the mental game of chess that takes place in boxing, think about the grappling aspects and what takes place in the clinch, the way the legs and feet are used, the way weight and momentum is used, it's not a lack of dimension as it is a difference in use if you get what I'm saying here.

    Now rather than looking at the absence of elbows, kicks, knees, throws, submissions, ground transitions, etc.....as a lack of dimension or skill set, consider as I mentioned earlier that maybe it's not that these fighters lack the capacity for those skills, but rather do not have a necessity for them due to the way they've honed their striking skills and everything that comes with it. Put simply I look at the two as one being a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none vs a truly skilled master of a dedicated craft. Now of course like you said, Floyd Mayweather isn't going to be better at skills he hasn't honed, but consider that maybe he or the average boxer is so skilled with the ones they have that they do not need the others. The skills they acquire from boxing are more than adequate to thwart the tactic and offense brought by an MMA fighter.

    So yes, of course most MMA fighters aren't going to last in a boxing ring because they'd have most of their trained weapons taken away whilst the Boxer has all of his.
    And I'm saying the boxer doesn't need those other skills. Being so sufficient in boxing and at the level of conditioning boxing demands is more than enough. It comes down to tactics and game plan, nothing more.


    McGregor was boxing when he was 12(?) and ended up moving to a new home. He probably fell out of it because, like most his age, he started to party and grow up. He met Tom Egan and decided to step into MMA. I don't think you can really read into him choosing MMA over Boxing much. I'm pretty sure going to a UFC event inspired him also.
    Your guess is as good as mine really. My point is not everyone can box, not everyone finds the dedication it takes to stick to it and grind their way to the top. Boxing is unique in that way, it is all inclusive. If you box, you box, that's it. But it prepares you and molds you to be a different level of athlete and fighter. Anyone can go join a local MMA gym and be fighting in no time, which means it doesn't necessarily take anything special to do it. If it did, not everyone could do it. But Shake, if you decided you wanted to be an MMA fighter the only thing separating you from that is a couple weeks and a gym membership. You can't just do that in boxing.

    Regarding McGregor getting the same hype as others before him... I really don't think it's the same as the majority of people you've listed. He's also done what nobody else has before him - hold 2 UFC belts simultaneously. I'd say he's pretty much in a league of his own. And he gets the hype because he is at the top of the new age of MMA where the sport has evolved to produce proper athletes now.
    I was just listing random names off the top of my head, there was nothing specific about the people I named really, just all guys who at one time or another were a really big deal and marketed as such. The point was just that the marketing machine always gets behind the new guy and he's the new guy, for now.

    If Floyd loses, boxing is embarrassed big time. 49-0 best of his generation losing to a 0-0 MMA fighter ? That'd be bad. The credibility of who Floyd has beaten dips too. There's a definite ripple effect.
    And how likely is that to actually happen if we're being honest? Not very.

    I like Boxing at times but it's too restricted for me. I love slugfests and Joshua/Klitschko was amazing but I find I'm not greatly entertained by most fights like I am with Kickboxing or MMA. I also find the amount of title belts a bit too much of a clusterfuck too. At the end of the day, Boxing and MMA are way too different to compare and this fight really isn't going to offer an answer to the Boxing vs MMA question.
    Well, of course boxing isn't as enjoyable if you can't grasp what is going on as easily as what you see in MMA which is where the separation is. People don't get the education in boxing they once did and it is VERY cerebral, that's why it's called the sweet science and it is every bit that. So if you don't really understand it, how are you to be able to really get immersed in it? And my hypothesis has been that the lack of understanding vs the very easy to digest concepts of MMA are why people don't enjoy boxing as much.. It's very straight forward in MMA, and boxing is chess to MMA's game of checkers. Boxing seems restrictive, but those restrictions allow for a freestyle formless method of combat to flourish that is adaptable to any other style or form of fighting so how restrictive is it really?

    They've just taken variables out of the question that could leave question as to who is the better man and the better fighter. It's no b.s. no excuses, no he twisted my arm or choked me so I had to quit, and then on top of that there is no escape; you do not have the luxury of kicking a guy, or elbowing him, or twisting his arm or leg, or choking him out, no no, those have been taken away, lets see what you're really made of. Those are all shortcuts from doing the harder thing, standing on your own two feet, beating a man with just your fists, no cheap shots, no excuses, just everything you've got upstairs and inside, constant pressure, hit or be hit, move or get moved on, take ground or give ground, no rest, you're constantly under pressure. Anyone can choke a guy, or kick someone, or bend their arm in an uncomfortable way, which is why MMA is so much more relatable and easy to grasp, but it takes a different mental acumen to set a guy up for a series of punches and enforce your will strategically to make it happen while they are trying to do the same to you.

    Now this isn't all about trying to shit on MMA or something but it's not what it's been MARKETED as and it isn't necessarily more "well rounded" or superior to boxing or a dedicated Martial Art, it's just one of many Martial Arts styles with it's own weaknesses that can also be defeated with the other martial arts, one of which is boxing. I just want to provide a different lens with which to view and understand boxing in the hopes other people see it how I do, and see the beauty, and science, and skill, and everything it encompasses so people have a greater respect for it and can enjoy it more and see it for what an amazing art and science it really is. Understand as well that the rules of boxing were developed to create as FAIR and level a playing field as possible to determine a real winner in a pugilistic contest; and it was considered UN-manly to do the things permitted in MMA, it was dirty fighting, cheap tactics, unsportsmanlike, because it doesn't prove anything and leaves question as I mentioned earlier. You don't hit a man while he's down, you don't choke a guy out, you don't try to break their arm or their leg or whatever...you stand and you fight like a man. All of that was considered a departure from doing just that, a short cut to winning in the absence of the ability to stand a fight like a man. There was no honor or dignity in fighting like that, and people who did were considered pussies because they had to resort to such tactics.

    But I'd love it if McGregor came out and feinted takedown attempts and kicks just to fuck with Floyd. Would be funny. Are there rules against feinting those strikes? I would have to think so.
    Actually no there is no rule saying you can't ACT like your going to do something illegal in boxing. You'd pay for it with a counter punch, but you could feint a take down or a kick. For that matter guys actually DO lots of things that are illegal to the rules of boxing all the time, it just generally isn't that and they still get away with a lot before they really get in trouble for it.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

  15. #115
    Come and take it
    Stonewall Dakson's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    19,833
    Rep Power
    70605
      Country                    United States

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Saying an MMA fighter is not trained well is just silly.

    There are so many more aspects to MMA than there is boxing. Boxers train in one area and become highly skilled in that area alone.

    Some MMA fighters are experts at Brazilian jiu-jitsu which can take years to accomplish. They also have to be able to handle themselves on their feet, and be able to handle themselves when taken down.

    Boxers have to look for hands coming at them. MMA fighters have to watch for punches, elbows, kicks, takedowns, submissions, so many more threats to assess and guard for. It simply cannot be compared.

    Not all MMA fighters are well rounded so I get your point on that but boxing is so one dimensional in comparison. They have to get good at one aspect while MMA incorporates many different aspects.

    You can talk head movements, reading what your opponent is going to do, all you want but it applies even more to MMA.

    I would argue that you can make a lot more mistakes in boxing. With their oversized gloves a KO isn't likely going to happen. With MMA a KO can happen out of anywhere. One misread could put your lights out.

    We can argue this all day and night but boxing is just not exciting these days and saying that it is on an upswing is laughable.

    The 'biggest fight' you mention that is coming, I guarantee only about 10% of normal people polled would recognize either name. That is a fact you must accept.

    Boxing needs another Mike Tyson if it wants to rebound. All the boxers out there right now are boring as shit.
    Last edited by Stonewall Dakson; 07-16-2017 at 10:04 AM.

  16. #116
    God's Gift to God
    PowerfulCoxatron's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Suplex City, Bitch
    Posts
    15,567
    Rep Power
    162176

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    Saying an MMA fighter is not trained well is just silly.

    There are so many more aspects to MMA than there is boxing. Boxers train in one area and become highly skilled in that area alone.

    Some MMA fighters are experts at Brazilian jiu-jitsu which can take years to accomplish. They also have to be able to handle themselves on their feet, and be able to handle themselves when taken down.

    Boxers have to look for hands coming at them. MMA fighters have to watch for punches, elbows, kicks, takedowns, submissions, so many more threats to assess and guard for. It simply cannot be compared.

    Not all MMA fighters are well rounded so I get your point on that but boxing is so one dimensional in comparison. They have to get good at one aspect while MMA incorporates many different aspects.

    You can talk head movements, reading what your opponent is going to do, all you want but it applies even more to MMA.

    I would argue that you can make a lot more mistakes in boxing. With their oversized gloves a KO isn't likely going to happen. With MMA a KO can happen out of anywhere. One misread could put your lights out.

    We can argue this all day and night but boxing is just not exciting these days and saying that it is on an upswing is laughable.

    The 'biggest fight' you mention that is coming, I guarantee only about 10% of normal people polled would recognize either name. That is a fact you must accept.

    Boxing needs another Mike Tyson if it wants to rebound. All the boxers out there right now are boring as shit.
    If you make a mistake in high level boxing you're finished. The sports vary but the highest levels are equal in terms of the killers lurking around.

    ily

  17. #117
    Come and take it
    Stonewall Dakson's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    19,833
    Rep Power
    70605
      Country                    United States

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulCoxatron View Post
    If you make a mistake in high level boxing you're finished. The sports vary but the highest levels are equal in terms of the killers lurking around.

    ily
    All I am saying is you don't see very many KO's in the first minute.

    Same cannot be said for MMA.

    The threat is much worse with the smaller gloves to put your lights out at any given moment.

    Repeated dull blows to the head is also thought to be a contributing factor to brain trauma suffered by boxers that manifest in later years of life.

  18. #118
    Cheese!
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,184
    Rep Power
    41490

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Boxing being dead/needing to rebound is such an American thing to say. The sports popularity has waned in America because the Americans aren't dominating the sport like they used too, but globally boxing is still huge. For instance while people in the States bitch and moan about HW boxing during the Klitschko's reign, they're huge stars in much of Europe. And thesedays even in America boxing is having a resurgence as of late with a new generation of fighters taking over.

    I like both sports, but the general arrogance of many MMA fans towards boxing is absurd.

    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


  19. #119
    Come and take it
    Stonewall Dakson's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    19,833
    Rep Power
    70605
      Country                    United States

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    I like both sports, but the general arrogance of many MMA fans towards boxing is absurd.
    The same can be said for fans of boxing attitudes toward MMA.

    I wasn't talking about boxing's following in the world....because I really don't care about that to be quite honest.

    I am talking about America here.

  20. #120
    Heel Champion
    Dodger's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,837
    Rep Power
    2569

    Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

    So much McGregor bashing in this thread makes me laugh, can't you blame a guy for rising from nothing (incidently like Floyd) who is now earning the big bucks by taking this win win fight, if he loses well he was an MMA fighter after all, if he somehow wins which I extremely doubt he could turn into a mega star. The man's talking is what is making this fight and his complete lack of respect to Mayweather which is an exceptional thing as most people normally lick the arse straight out the guy opponenet or not. As a purist point of view it's not ideal and a bit circus like but it can create some real fanfare, no way will I pay for it mind!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •