Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

Status

Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Boxing has the historical aspect attach to it but outside the big name matches is it really doing numbers? Sorry if I'm wrong as I don't follow either religiously but In the modern day I just seem to here a lot more about MMA as a whole.
    Not really. But neither is MMA. The UFC can still pop a million or better buyrate with McGregor, and they could with Rousey (but she done). But whereas a fairly decent card without a huge name used to hit 500K buys easy, they are now pretty lucky to do half of that on a lot of cards. Tons of reasons - oversaturation, lack of stars, decline in PPV as a format. Big fight cards in boxing are in that area or a bit better, but the very top end can kill the UFC in terms of both buys and revenue. And the fighters are paid notably better in boxing.

Cheese!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Is MMA bigger than Boxing that's a good fucking question there, and I say it's a push at times. Boxing has been getting really good lately in the 5 years, but their were times I thought MMA was bigger than the sport of Boxing and I'm a huge fan of Boxing as many people know. I say that only due to in MMA, you see guys not ducking each other and not having fear to put it on the line versus another top guy. In Boxing and I'm raged over it for years now, that I hate when Boxers just don't face the top guys in their division. Yeah let me go face that no name guy, instead of facing the top tier fighters from their divisions cough cough Manny Pacquaio who the hell is Horn, people want to see you face Crawford.
    Fighters still duck each other in MMA, you still have to sign a fight agreement after all, the UFC cant just order guys when, where and who to fight. And top contenders rarely fight each in MMA outside of Title fights, a lot of the time fighters get to a Title fight on the back of beating alot of mid tier fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Boxing has the historical aspect attach to it but outside the big name matches is it really doing numbers? Sorry if I'm wrong as I don't follow either religiously but In the modern day I just seem to here a lot more about MMA as a whole.
    Big Papa covered it already but neither is MMA. Not having a dig at you here, its just a general comment but its ridiculous when MMA fans write boxing off because only the big fights/fighters draw in boxing. Its the exact same scenario in MMA. A Brock/Conor/Rousey headlined card might do great numbers but even guys like Jones, Anderson, etc. struggle unless there's some drama added to their fight. Then guys like Mighty Mouse, Aldo, and even Miocic couldn't pay people to buy their fights. There's more big name boxers in the world thesedays than there are big name MMA fighters. Hell why do you think the UFC is going ahead with allowing this fight to happen? They know Conor is their only star so want to keep him happy. If Conor left the UFC/retired then their business takes a hit because there's a huge drop off to the #2 guy in Jon Jones.

I feel like the fact that MMA is pretty new clouds things, its exploded in popularity from being nothing to being an accepted global sport, but boxing has been there forever.
    Last edited by ETE; 06-16-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Jobber

Status
      Country                    Canada

this fight has got me so hype though, I want to see McGregor end Mayweather's streak, but again, I just don't see it happening.
    Last edited by mK Reign; 06-17-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Cheese!

Status

The other UFC fighters calling out boxers for this card is embarrassing. Conor got the fight because of his personality, why would Anthony Joshua waste his time fighting someone like Stipe Miocic who has no name value on top of having no pro boxing fights?

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    Cyprus

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulCoxatron View Post
    Q: what's more insulting to combat sports? Punk v gall or McGregor v mayweather

2 relatively inexperienced mma fighters albeit one had 0 experience but the other had no business being in the UFC either v an accomplished mma fighter with no business being in a professional boxing match against the greatest boxer of all time

Punk has a name and drew because of it. Connor has a name and will draw from it. Both freak shows in a sense

ily
    Its hard to pick. Punk faced a nobody who became famous after destroying Punk. Conor is facing an undefeated boxer who's probably the best in history in the divisions he fought. At least Conor has been multiple champion in MMA and its one of the best pound for pound in the world. Punk from the other hand, he can cut promos.

Hmm... I will say Punk.

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

Floyd won't "destroy" Conor, but he'll dance around him for 12 rounds and pick up a breeze of a win in a really boring fight.

Conor getting a lucky punch at some point isn't impossible but nothing I would be super serious about expecting. Might plop a few bucks on him if odds are high enough for either that or something shady happening.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

THE 559

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Early odds are Floyd 1/7 Conor 9/2.

Not worth it.
    LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Early odds are Floyd 1/7 Conor 9/2.

Not worth it.
    With those odds I might just put more than a few bucks on Floyd.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

God's Gift to God

Status

The novelty of the fight will wear off after 3 rounds.

Everyone will be surprised that conor did SOMETHING in the first. Then everyone will be mystified that Floyd evaded everything in the second. Then everyone gets sad when conor gasses in the third.

ily

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Mayweather is going to absolutely wreck the leprechaun.

Battle of the cocky overpaid manlets.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

One Batch, Two Batch

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulCoxatron View Post
    The novelty of the fight will wear off after 3 rounds.

Everyone will be surprised that conor did SOMETHING in the first. Then everyone will be mystified that Floyd evaded everything in the second. Then everyone gets sad when conor gasses in the third.
    Yep.

My friend is ordering the pay-per-view and having a live viewing party that I'm likely to be at but I'm under no illusions that this will be either entertaining or competative. Conor will try and get in a lucky shot and Flyod will do Floyd, evade, survive and jab away at Conor's confidence until he's (hopefully) a broken shell of a man.

Dana's said that Conor has promised to fight in the UFC at least once after this but unless that's a) on paper, and b) iron-fucking-clad, I can't see McGregor being arsed about fighting again after this payday; he's barely arsed about fighting now. He hasn't defended either of the titles he won in UFC and I don't expect him to ever defend the one he hasn't yet been striped of. He doesn't care about how he makes his money as long as he makes it and he isn't in it for the love of competition or the art of the fight, he's a whore and he always will be - he's an entertaining whore, don't get me wrong, talented too... but he's a whore and it doesn't matter if it's MMA, boxing, "acting" or whatever else he tries his hand at, he's there for the money. Which is cool, whatever, but I at least respect Mayweather's dedication to the sport and his love of the game, Conor only loves money and maybe his wife.

Personally I hope Mayweather beats the crap out of him and humbles the cunt.

Shuyaku

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Mauro Ranallo and Brendan Schaub discuss Mayweather/McGregor heading into their fight in August. I once said Connor should get legit Boxers to train hi m, but after what Schaub said with his style it might confuse Floyd to give him an advantage he needs.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

BURNING HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I can't believe he said that mcgreogr is the A player. In boxing mayweather is boss.
    Io KENTA Mayu

Cheese!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    Yep.

My friend is ordering the pay-per-view and having a live viewing party that I'm likely to be at but I'm under no illusions that this will be either entertaining or competative. Conor will try and get in a lucky shot and Flyod will do Floyd, evade, survive and jab away at Conor's confidence until he's (hopefully) a broken shell of a man.

Dana's said that Conor has promised to fight in the UFC at least once after this but unless that's a) on paper, and b) iron-fucking-clad, I can't see McGregor being arsed about fighting again after this payday; he's barely arsed about fighting now. He hasn't defended either of the titles he won in UFC and I don't expect him to ever defend the one he hasn't yet been striped of. He doesn't care about how he makes his money as long as he makes it and he isn't in it for the love of competition or the art of the fight, he's a whore and he always will be - he's an entertaining whore, don't get me wrong, talented too... but he's a whore and it doesn't matter if it's MMA, boxing, "acting" or whatever else he tries his hand at, he's there for the money. Which is cool, whatever, but I at least respect Mayweather's dedication to the sport and his love of the game, Conor only loves money and maybe his wife.

Personally I hope Mayweather beats the crap out of him and humbles the cunt.
    I've never quite understood the hatred for making money.

Its also pretty ridiculous to assume Conor has no passion. End of the day all professional sports are jobs, we as fans can romanticise it and fall in love with the competition but its their job. They have to make money. Conor has simply got himself into a position because where he can make great money doing what he loves. And there's nothing at all wrong with that. Are you telling me if at your job you got a great offer to make more money you'd turn it down to just keep grinding away?

Conors got options, he's got opportunities, he's got the ability to be able to do more than just slog away in a series of unremarkable standard fights. He knows his worth as well.

Shuyaku

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I can't believe he said that mcgreogr is the A player. In boxing mayweather is boss.
    Yeah even know Connor McGregor is fighting now, to me doesn't mean he's the A side. Mayweather is always being discussed about, his company promotes fighters so it isn't like he's been a Ghost in the Sport since his last fight with Berto. Mayweather has been the A side for over a decade this guy though lol.

Real Women of Genius

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Yeah even know Connor McGregor is fighting now, to me doesn't mean he's the A side. Mayweather is always being discussed about, his company promotes fighters so it isn't like he's been a Ghost in the Sport since his last fight with Berto. Mayweather has been the A side for over a decade this guy though lol.
    Well it Schaub saying it so I think it was toungue is cheek or I least I hope it was. I think the best chance mcgreogr has is if he goes all out in the first 3 rounds after that it's 90% mayweathers fight.
    Io KENTA Mayu

God's Gift to God

Status

Ufc demanded that helwani not be allowed to cover the fight on showtime. I'm not the biggest helwani fan because he comes off like a crybaby sometimes about everything but Jesus.

Ufc are idiots too because the last time they did this it blew up in their face. Dana needs some counseling.

ily

Status

This press conferacne is the most cringesist thing I have ever seen. Mayweather is just.. wow I cant even put it to words. McGregor is phoning it in. Hope they just fight.
    Io KENTA Mayu

Cheese!

Status

I like Conor but Jesus Christ he looks like a moron when he try's to call Floyd poor or flash his money. Floyds made more money in one fight than Conor has in his entire life multiple times.

Shuyaku

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    I like Conor but Jesus Christ he looks like a moron when he try's to call Floyd poor or flash his money. Floyds made more money in one fight than Conor has in his entire life multiple times.
    He said that because I think Floyd from what I heard he owes the IRS $22 Million Dollars in Taxes from 2015 so saying he's poor and needs the money is just a major jab on news that broke this week on the situation. He said that he has a 100 Million Check he hasn't cashed yet, which is so dumb. Why do you keep a check of that worth, and not cash it when you get it? I don't know how you can not pay Taxes for 2 years and then the IRS come out no where to say hey you owe us money. You would think with the name, and his celebrity status he would of gotten the word on that way sooner rather than two years.

Floyd pretty much said in the first video this is pretty much it for him in Boxing. This Camp mentally and physically has taken a toll on him and that's no shocker considering he hasn't fought in two years. Connor thought Mayweather wasn't going to be ready for the talking, he should of researched Floyd has been getting in the head of fighters for years. With that being said I liked how Connor gave to him, and Floyd gave it back. Over the years it's been Floyd tearing his opponents to shreds and his opponents couldn't keep with him verbally. Please tell me why is Floyd's kids on stage yelling at Connor, they shouldn't be there at all don't stir up shit that is what is Daddy is for lol. I'm IRS and I'm going to Tax that ass

Real Women of Genius

Thread Information