Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

Certified G

Status

Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    BT Sport isn't free bud

And is it confirmed BT Sport are carrying it? I'd have thought Sky Sports would be right in there for it.
    Would assume Sky is doing it, they always do the boxing.

Dana seems confident Conors going to fight again this year, pretty sure Ariel tweeted they want him for the December 30th PPV but I don't know, can't see Conor going from whatever he's making for this fight to what he'd make in the UFC and they won't pay him anything close to it.

Ferguson vs McGregor pls. Probably be a trilogy with Diaz though.

[Blank Space]

Status
      Country                    UK

Yeah, pretty sure Sky will have this, about £30 I reckon

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    It's Conor with one n guys
    Blame my phone cause I don't got time for correcting autocorrect

ily

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkman View Post
    Would assume Sky is doing it, they always do the boxing.

Dana seems confident Conors going to fight again this year, pretty sure Ariel tweeted they want him for the December 30th PPV but I don't know, can't see Conor going from whatever he's making for this fight to what he'd make in the UFC and they won't pay him anything close to it.

Ferguson vs McGregor pls. Probably be a trilogy with Diaz though.
    Dana and UFC are making bank off this no doubt but this doesn't get done without them. That's leverage against conor that he can alleviate by dropping and walking away but the amount of money coming his way. If it's close to 100 million like being thrown around I'd be surprised if he ever fights again

ily

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

it will an embarasment for ufc despite the huge money they will get from it if mcgreogr gets knocked out which I doubt since mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out since victor Ortiz controversial as it was. Their biggest draw knocked out, from the ufc point of view it will make mma look inferior
    Last edited by MC 16; 06-15-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

Cider 'I' Up

Status
      Country                    England

BT Sport isn't free bud

And is it confirmed BT Sport are carrying it? I'd have thought Sky Sports would be right in there for it.
    I think you got the jist of what i was trying to say about no extra PPV fee, Not confirmed but they are relesing posters of them both with the bt sport logo on it?

Edit :your probably right forgot it was a boxing match! Box office always has those.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kert; 06-15-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Cyber bullying just made me 12 bucks. Sweet.
    2017 Movie Log

Mankind's Boiler Room

Status

Fuck this be only time i ever root 4 conor hate both of them

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I know the guy's legacy he doesn't have anything to prove to me, but he's had a history of ducking fighters because he knew their was a chance he could get hurt. Their are people who thinks he's not the best of his era, might be a small minority, but me saying that is more towards Floyd retelling everyone in the world hey I'm the greatest entertainer in this sport and yaw thought in the Media that this guy could compete with me and deserves to be in the ring with me, and I'm going to clean his clock. HE kinda took that approach in face Manny, and the guy got it done and stuck it in our ears. People keep talking about Connor's power and he does have KO power when he gets the opening, but to be honest Floyd has faced guys in Boxing with just as much Power maybe even better like Pacquiao, Cotto, Maidana, Marquez as well.
    Sure, Mayweather has that rep and that history with picking favorable fighters. But there is really no SPORTING reason for this fight to happen. Its just all about promotion, self-promotion, and money.

Put it this way - did beating James Toney in 2010 cement Randy Couture's legacy as one of the greatest ever? No, it did dick all for him because it was a gimmick fight against someone who wasn't actually an MMA fighter and was therefore at a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage in that fight. That's basically what this is, except McGregor isn't past his prime and both guys can sell the fuck out of a fight.

I'm not saying don't look forward to it or don't be hyped. But be realistic about what the fight is and what it means. A Mayweather victory does nothing to his legacy. A McGregor win would be fun and interesting and we could hear him self-hype some more, but it would probably say at least as much about Mayweather's age and mileage than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    it will an embarasment for ufc despite the huge money they will get from it if mcgreogr gets knocked out which I doubt since mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out since victor Ortiz controversial as it was. Their biggest draw knocked out, from the ufc point of view it will make mma look inferior
    How? Legitimately curious how one of the UFC's biggest stars competing in another sport, against one of the greatest boxers of his generation, would reflect on the promotion in a negative way if the likely outcome occurs?

Anyone with even a marginal knowledge of both MMA and boxing understands how different they are and recognizes that even the very best strikers in MMA are not using high level boxing. They aren't using actual boxing at all.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post

How? Legitimately curious how one of the UFC's biggest stars competing in another sport, against one of the greatest boxers of his generation, would reflect on the promotion in a negative way if the likely outcome occurs?

Anyone with even a marginal knowledge of both MMA and boxing understands how different they are and recognizes that even the very best strikers in MMA are not using high level boxing. They aren't using actual boxing at all.
    I think about it, the ufcs biggest star gets knocked out by arguably boxings bggest star would be embarassing for ufc since mma arguby has taken over boxings territory and despite boxing being called not as good or exciting the boxing star beat the mma star. I doubt it would affect them financiallu but their egos would be affected truly
    Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Lolwat?

Boxing star beats MMA star in boxing match = embarrassing for MMA? Nonsense. You could say it has the potential to be embarrassing for McGregor, but not really for MMA or UFC as a whole.

I am a little surprised that McGregor is willing to go into something where he is likely to be completely schooled, especially after all the smack he will talk in the build-up. Surprised his ego will allow him to be potentially humiliated, money talks though.

It's unlikely but I'd love McGregor to hurt Mayweather with one good shot and see where it goes from there.

And he scores goals...!

Cheese!

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I'll never completely count Conor out after he starched Aldo and humiliated Alvarez but its hard to give him much of a chance here. The best boxers of this generation couldn't beat Floyd. And its not like Floyd has never faced a bigger, more powerful fighter before, he has and they've been elite level boxers. Its a great money maker though.

After this though its hard to imagine what Conor could possibly. Dual weight Champ in the UFC, crossed over to boxing and fought a genuine all time great. Going from this to fighting nobodies like Ferguson, Khabib, etc. would be a HUGE step down.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I think about it, the ufcs biggest star gets knocked out by arguably boxings bggest star would be embarassing for ufc since mma arguby has taken over boxings territory and despite boxing being called not as good or exciting the boxing star beat the mma star. I doubt it would affect them financiallu but their egos would be affected truly
    Thats the key thing here. Mayweather is a modern great in boxing and Conor doesn't even have a amateur boxing background....and this is a pure boxing match. If anything Floyd is under much more pressure here as he NEEDS to win. MMA may be bigger in terms of mass appeal but no one with any braincells would downplay MMA or Conor if he got knocked out by Mayweather. The only reason Conor may be able to go more than one round with Floyd is simply due to conditioning and strength.

Cheese!

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Is MMA really bigger than boxing?

I'd argue the opposite. Boxing's popularity has waned compared to the glory days (more so in the States) but the successes of guys like Golovkin, Joshua, Fury, etc. is bigger than the likes of Miocic, Mighty Mouse, Aldo, Jones, Joanna, etc.

Conor losing here shouldn't hurt MMA at all, just as if Floyd lost to Conor in an MMA fight wouldn't hurt boxing. There's a big difference between both sports.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Status

Just gonna echo PS here.... You are overlooking the very key fact that boxing and MMA are different sports. Linked, as there are elements of boxing in MMA, but separate sports.

When James Tomey stepped into the Octagon and got worked hard, did that embarrass all of boxing? Of course not.

Not sure how MMA has "taken over" boxing's territory. Boxing is still the bigger sport in most ways. If you look at most business indicators, MMA has seen a drop in the last few years from its peak.

I highly doubt that Dana White and the UFC will be embarrassed and have their egos destroyed if/when McGregor loses, even if its a brutal knockout. They weren't shamed horrifically when McGregor lost to a "lesser" fighter in an MMA fight.... so its not really logical that they would react that way when he loses a boxing match to an all-time great boxer. Especially considering they know the likely outcome, and are all making huge sums of money for the fight.

Status

Anyone who thinks MMA is bigger than Boxing is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Dana won't care if McGregor loses. He will distance himself and say Conor was the one who wanted the fight. If Mayweather wanted to trash MMA or whatever then I am sure it wouldn't be difficult for Dana to offer him a fight in the UFC.

Everyone knows the fight is a freakshow. The only person embarrassed, truly, if they lose is Mayweather.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Is MMA bigger than Boxing that's a good fucking question there, and I say it's a push at times. Boxing has been getting really good lately in the 5 years, but their were times I thought MMA was bigger than the sport of Boxing and I'm a huge fan of Boxing as many people know. I say that only due to in MMA, you see guys not ducking each other and not having fear to put it on the line versus another top guy. In Boxing and I'm raged over it for years now, that I hate when Boxers just don't face the top guys in their division. Yeah let me go face that no name guy, instead of facing the top tier fighters from their divisions cough cough Manny Pacquaio who the hell is Horn, people want to see you face Crawford.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

God's Gift to God

Status

Boxing is far and away bigger than MMA. It's not even a question.

ily

The EST of WC

Status

Boxing has the historical aspect attach to it but outside the big name matches is it really doing numbers? Sorry if I'm wrong as I don't follow either religiously but In the modern day I just seem to here a lot more about MMA as a whole.

Status

I believe Mauro Ranallo is now confirmed to be calling this.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I believe Mauro Ranallo is now confirmed to be calling this.
    Yup saw it on Twitter early, no better guy to be given this spot.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Thread Information