Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Re: Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    You can call him dirty all you want but all of his training has been MMA and those strikes are perfectly legal there.
    Hitting the back of the head is legal in the UFC? Wait... What?

Anyway... fun fight. Was way more active than I expected it to be and Mayweather got far more agressive when he saw the finish line than I thought he would, so that was good. Connor should probably look at actually getting trained by a proper boxing coach next time he fights though, that way he might be able to unlearn some MMA habits that were hurting his points. He looked to be winning the first three or four rounds to me but I realised after the fight that I was basing that on aggression and not taking Floyd's defence into consideration, which is far more important in boxing than MMA. Good stoppage. I liked the ref. Do wish he'd admonished Connor at least once though for all the MMA stuff he was bringing into a boxing ring.

Connor proclaiming himself to be a two division champion in UFC was funny considering I have a very distinct memory of UFC stripping him of one of them for lack of activity in the division. If I'm Max Holloway, I'm fuming right now.

Cheese!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post
    Yeah I didn't word that the best - by hurt I meant Mayweather didn't appear to have the power to knock McGregor out. If McGregor didn't gas after 2 rounds, I don't see how that fight was going to be stopped.

If you quoted the rest of my post, you'll see I clearly say it was difficult to watch as Mayweather was unloading on a defenseless McGregor - which would have presumably played a big part in the 60 day suspension (I'm presuming it's concussion related?).
    Gassed or not Conor was always going to get lit up. The entire fight even when Conor wasn't gassed was just Floyd toying with him and doing whatever he wanted too.

The difference in skill level would always make Conor getting finished likely, no matter how tough and stubborn he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall Dakson View Post
    Kinda funny the ref warned Mayweather about it then.

You can call him dirty all you want but all of his training has been MMA and those strikes are perfectly legal there.

If you cannot understand the difficulty adjusting to that you are just dumb.
    And...Floyd's been warned about it in plenty of fights before, he's using the rules to his advantage but putting himself in an awkward spot. Doesn't change the fact that Conor hitting him like he was in that position and back of the head is dirty.

And once again TRAINED PROFESSIONAL. If Conor wants to pretend he's a boxer and have a boxing match then its HIS responsibility to fight like a professional in the boxing ring. There's just endless excuses for everything Conor related in this fight and its tiring.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Come and take it

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    And...Floyd's been warned about it in plenty of fights before, he's using the rules to his advantage but putting himself in an awkward spot. Doesn't change the fact that Conor hitting him like he was in that position and back of the head is dirty.

And once again TRAINED PROFESSIONAL. If Conor wants to pretend he's a boxer and have a boxing match then its HIS responsibility to fight like a professional in the boxing ring. There's just endless excuses for everything Conor related in this fight and its tiring.
    I don't think anyone has claimed that Conor was or is a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL boxer.

He is a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL MMA FIGHTER.

If you think someone is going to be a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL in their first match you are being silly and you know it.

Years of MMA training is hard to break and I would argue that Conor did a fine job myself. If he had did a takedown on Mayweather I would get your point. Otherwise it is nitpicking.

If a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL boxer fought in an MMA fight I guarantee they would miss opportunities they could take advantage of in MMA that they couldn't in boxing simply because it is new to them.

It is a simple concept. I don't even know why we are still discussing it.

Did you honestly expect someone to be a TRAINED PROFESSIONAL boxer in their first fight? Nobody is.

Come and take it

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    Hitting the back of the head is legal in the UFC? Wait... What?
    No, not in the back of the head. Upon re-reading my response I can see how that kinda looked like I was saying that.

There are a lot more strikes to the head that are legal in MMA than in boxing though and that is what I am getting at.

Turning your back in boxing affords you safety because hitting someone from behind is generally not allowed in boxing. That is not the case in MMA though and it is quite common for someone to be hit from behind. Hammerfists to the top of the head (toward the front of the head) etc...

Really only a small portion of the back of the head is illegal in MMA. You can hit someone in the side of the head and behind the ear etc...

That is really what I was trying to get at.

A lot more strikes like that are legal and prevalent in MMA than in boxing.

So an MMA fighters instincts are to go ahead and throw those strikes. So while punching to the direct back of the head is not legal a hammerfist to the top of the head is.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

apparently this got a 6.5 million PPV buyrate in the states.

Thread Information