Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NJPW Kizuna Road 2017 & G1 USA Specials

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: NJPW Kizuna Road 2017 & G1 USA Specials

The constant production snafus and questionable commentary keeps me from calling this a great show. There also wasn't a match that I'll really remember from the show as well (maybe Juice/ZSJ and just for how severely unorganized it felt in Omega and Elgin)

It was still a good experiment and an entertaining show. I also think people need to quit ragging on Cody because I think he came in with an idea for the title match and it worked out pretty well. Yeah, he wasn't going to set the world on fire, but he is excelling in character work and sometimes that is what you need the most from performers. It was a Bullet Club room and he was getting really good heat.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

I told y'all Naito would lose and Ishii/Omega would be the final. Given the way the crowd is, I'd have to say Omega wins the title. Thought Juice/ZSJ was very good (with an excellent finish) and Naito/Ishii and Omega/Big Mike were pretty great in the big NJPW match way. The US tournament was really where it was at from this show as long as you forget Lethal/Page which we all knew wouldn't be good.

Cody/Okada was better than Omega/Okada II. Don't @ me. This is undoubtedly Cody's finest match since leaving WWE and arguably his best ever as a singles wrestler. For a crowd full of smarks, I think he did well to control the crowd, get heat and not let it turn into a Bullet Club love fest like we saw in the opener and Omega/Elgin. Character work was really good last night. I've always felt like Cody's matches in New Japan are so lacking in energy and excitement in the finish, so with the title on the line and facing Mr. hot closing stretch in Okada, this was such an improvement. I loved the towel throw in tease and the Omega/Cody tension because it comes full circle with the Omega/Okada draw and it's nice to have follow ups to that stuff. It wasn't without it's flaws, I think there was too much after the towel throw in tease and things would of come off sharper if they limited the nearfalls, and there was that botch when Okada countered the crossroads by climbing up the buckle. The rainmaker now is as effective as the AA or Angleslam which is a shame. Still, I think most people would be willing to admit this was better than they thought it would be.

Production stunk on the show, and JR was embarrassingly bad. 'is that BUSHI?.......oh EVIL....how am I supposed to know they all wear masks?'. He really wasn't educated on the product and I wouldn't be wasting money on the 'JR Brand' moving forward with English commentary on AXS. I think that's what let New Japan down more than anything last night because I think the show delivered in 'expected' match quality.

MACHKA

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Audio is all over the place. Commentary team sucks. It's like they don't want know what to do between matches.

Thoughts on matches thus far;

Ten Man Tag
    10 men tag was good. Fale looked awful. The pimp guy I wanted to see more of done very little. Scrull looks like loads of fun. Fun opener. Hope it continues, good start.

Eight Man Tag
    The 8 man isn't as good, felt off pace. Picked up when Dragon Lee (?) became the legal man. The finishing move was cool but didn't really find this match to be any good. Volvodor Jr was someone I was excited to see but he looked unimpressive. LIJ seem pretty shitty TBH aside from Takahashi.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

JR also called Zack Sabre Jr 'Will Ospreay' too. JR was very off last night and Barnett wasn't any better or didn't help out at all.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

قلبيlهذ

Status
      Country                    Egypt
    I think Nicky pretty much hit the nail on the head. It was a good thing they did and a good experiment, as well as an enjoyable show to watch but the atrocious commentary & running production blunders really held this back from me even calling it a successful first step. JR is so bad. The in-ring wasn't exactly blowing anyone out of the water either in fairness, as Nicky said ZSJ/Juice was the best match and Omega/Elgin was good too. I also agree (I feel like I said this a ton of times) that Cody gets way too much flack. He held his own & although it was a solid match Cody isn't to blame for this show not being awesome.

Speaking of not awesome, all this defense of Gunn in this thread. Not only is this guy not any kind of draw or relevant and a godawful worker (always was) but he's now so offensively incompetent in the ring he can't take basic bumps or protect his opponent properly. I didn't think he was this bad and Tanahashi's health has to be a concern. Anything past 5 minutes tonight is playing with

fire imo, and hopefully they have sense enough to cut it super short. There was more talk on him nearly killing Tanahashi on twitter than any of the matches and it's a shame NJPW diehards gave it a pass in the first place.

I looked on a 1-10 Twitter poll for this show and the vast majority of the scores were 5s & 6s with a 7 sprinkled in, That says it all. They needed a 10.

Match ratings:
    Opener: **3/4
    LIJ Tag: **
    Lethal/Page: 3/4*
    ZSJ/Juice: ***3/4
    Tanahashi & Friends Tag: 1/4*
    Tag Titles: ***
    Ishii/Naito: ***1/4
    Omega/Elgin: ***1/2
    Okada/Cody: ***1/2

@Shake: I said Okada/Omega weren't the draw of the Tokyo Dome which they weren't, Omega is absolutely a draw in the US as well as Okada by way of his series against him. I still think that would have been way better, and honestly was desperately needed on this show.
    صفر يحب الحرير ~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I'll eat crow for defending Gunn. I honestly forgot how fucked Tanahashi is health wise right now and after seeing Gunn and Tanahashi do sequences together I can't really defend Gunn being there anymore and Tanahashi versus Gunn today looks like it'll deliver us a disaster.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Rewatched the main event earlier as I was a bit tired last night and yeah, I'd still put it on a par with Fale/Okada. Cody's character work is on point but whenever he was in control of the match (prior to it picking up) it was super dull and slow. There was such a noticeable difference in pacing when Okada was in control. The match picked up (as it always does in Okada title matches) but I don't think I'd put it anywhere near Okada/Suzuki, Okada/Omega I and II etc. But if there were people who were first timers watching the show then I think they would have been impressed. Overall, actually. It didn't feel like they were trying to be WWE in ring or watering down the product which is a good sign. Cody isn't ready for the main event push yet and I'm glad he's not in the G1. Put it this way, if that is the sort of Cody that remains throughout this NJPW run then he's not any better than NEVER level. If he paces himself quicker and adapts a little more, he has a higher ceiling. Right now, he reminds me of Tessa Blanchard's first run in Stardom. Good character work but ring work that feels like he's not adapting well. Tessa picked it up for her second run. Cody will pick it up in time, I'm sure. (Can I start calling you Brandi, Zero, since you shit on me as Ricochet for defending Tessa first time around? )

Regarding Gunn, hey, nobody in this thread claimed he was a good worker or an actual draw to the arena. I still think certain casuals will be interested in seeing him simply based off knowing him as "Mr Ass" and being a part of DX. I won't defend his inclusion in the IC match based on ring work or draw to the arena but certainly as some slight appeal to wrestling casuals. Could also say that by having Tanahashi with such a below par worker, you're going to get a match where Tanahashi looks so supreme to Gunn that people might get into Tanahashi. If you really want someone to blame for Gunn being in this position, blame the people who sold out a show that didn't have a card announced. NJPW could've put on Tiger Mask vs Hirai Kawato as the main event if they wanted to. And possibly Tanahashi since I figure he'd have a say on his opponent. I'm not fearful for Tanahashi's health and I think the match won't be as disastrous as that tag match. Gunn fucked up there and that's his warning sign to get it together.

I can respect twitter polling but at hte same time, if twitter was the be all end all of polling then Brexit wouldn't exist, Trump wouldn't be president, Scotland would be independent and Jeremy Corbyn would've BTFO Theresa May. Point being that twitter isn't fully representative. I don't think twitter polling works if you're going to judge the effect of this show on casuals. Do I think the show hit a home run? Not necessarily. But I feel pretty sure any casual watching it will have seen something way different to WWE and would have been intrigued at the very least. My comments about Okada/Omega not being a draw wasn't about their match, my bad. It was about the time you said to me that neither of them, individually, were a draw. But like I said, it doesn't matter about drawing people to the show for this card because it sold out before anything was announced Okada/Omega should be needed for every show if you want it to be a home run but the sell out proves it wasn't needed here IMO.

Also Tig, you don't want to see more of pimp guy. He sucks.

tldr: Cody's offense kills match pace, he's NEVER level. Match on par with Fale/Okada. Gunn is meh but match will still be fine. Casuals probably liked the show. Okada/Omega not needed. Yujiro Takahashi blows.

rest of the card was announced, adding to OP. looks better than night 1 tbh. ZSJ for the upset on Ishii would be huge.
    Last edited by Hand Of Shake; 07-02-2017 at 03:04 PM.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Peru

How dare you say the pimp sucks. Honestly ten years ago he would have been the best wrestler in wwe or close. I found the entire show fun and entertaining except JR calling scurll, shurll REALLY REALLY annoyed me. Now I watched every match expect the multi man tags with the exception of the opener. Now I'll do a better overview of my thought tomorrow with the 2nd night but I thought that Okada definatly got the best match out of Rhodes ever but the bad bones match roades had at the 16 caret gold gives it a run. I'm glad sabre gets a good match with a big win, him vs Ishii will be good. Omega vs Elgin was good but you can tell that they were hanging back till the last stretch. BTW I want to credit hangman page, he really impressed me in the lethal match he controlled it well, had good psychology in parts really impressive. Good show overall I'll rate it 7.5/10. No MOTYC but good matches that will act very effectively teaser to any new viewers
    Spoiler:

Status

For anyone interested, the first four matches are being streamed for free by NJPW Youtube:

Starting now

Gonna check out English commentary for the show tonight.

edit: nvm it's barnett and JR, i'm out
    Last edited by Hand Of Shake; 07-02-2017 at 08:04 PM.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    How dare you say the pimp sucks. Honestly ten years ago he would have been the best wrestler in wwe or close.

No he wouldn't

And don't say you're joking because you're not.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Status

I think the show has been very good so far.

Minus JR's "Teriyaki Boys" fuck up. Which forced me to change to Japanese commentary.

ZSJ/Ishii was dope as fuck. This 10 man tag has been great too. SLAP FIGHTS!

Back for 2018 then. I like it. (Omega dropping 20,000 in his promo makes me wonder)

Gunn vs Tanahashi II is on the cards lads, get excited Zero

fucking loved RPG Vice vs Bucks. The back stuff was great. The Herbert Meltzer Driver was dope. Gutted RPG didn't win but damn that was a war. and Beretta to heavyweight is interesting. Rocky going singles? idk.

oh shit its me shouting out Tessa and TEAMING UP WITH TAGUCHI SENPAI. marked out. funky future ftw.

Cody is really good in these multi man tags. I like the interactions he has. He's just not main event singles level yet. I'd like to see him vs Ospreay for his next big attraction match.

nuclear heat for Gunn. five star classic. i love the heat Gunn got. And I actually enjoyed the match in a morbid way. Memetastic. It was inoffensive imo.

Ishii vs Omega was the tits. That fucking table spot, wow. How the fuck is Tomohiro Ishii alive!? what a goddamn match. Meltzer's gonna be pinging more than five stars at this. That was fucking amazing. Might be... might be my MOTY. Need to see again. Unreal. NJPW churning out some amazing big matches this year.

Post match stuff really good too. Got worked. Weird seeing Omega/BC as faces. Ishii MVP of the weekend.

I thought the show was great. Night 2 definitely better than Night 1. Hard to say if it was a success or not but feels like it was/will be. People will be sports entertained big time with this.
    Last edited by Hand Of Shake; 07-03-2017 at 12:27 AM.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status

I only watched the US title tournament matches, and boy was Ishii/Omega awesome, can't believe he took that dragon suplex through the table. That's three great matches between those two this year.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    No he wouldn't

And don't say you're joking because you're not.
    In 2007 there weren't that many great wrestlers that I can think of, there was taker, HBK, rey mysterio, carlito and maybe randy Orton, few others that I can't think of but takahashi is better then most of the roster in 2007.
    Spoiler:

Status

Yujiro used to be good but he'd be viewed as nothing but Vince's asian version of the Godfather and wouldn't be doing anything decent. Certainly wouldn't be anywhere near the top in 2007.

Watched it again... seriously, how the fuck is Tomohiro Ishii still alive? He took so many ridiculous bumps.

Guesses on Hangman Page's tag partner? Chase Owens, the prodigal son?

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Yujiro has been average at best. The pimp gimmick is fun but it covers up how much he's regressed. There's a large handful of guys in the WWE that were better performers, even if it wasn't the company's best year. Cena, Lashley, Orton, Flair, Batista, an injury ridden Mysterio, Punk, Beniot for the half he hadnt unraveled yet, Morrison, Umaga, Finlay, MVP, The Hardy's, etc. Fuck even Great Khali in 2007 had more memorable matches then Yujiro has in the last four years.

Ishii/Omega is the best competitive rivalry on the year. Outstanding, brutal stuff. Have to catch the rest of the show.

Too bad Trent's heavyweight announcement didn't come before the G1 announcement.
    Last edited by Spanish Nicky; 07-03-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

like I said I could think of many that year. Oh well

That ishii vs omega match was good ill probably re watch it tomorrow.
    Spoiler:

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status

While I'm a fan of RPG Vice splitting up and forcing the hand of fresh match ups in the division.......Trent a heavyweight? in this company? I don't get that at all. He's been great this year but I'd of rather seen him try to cut his teeth in the singles Jr division, maybe get a title shot with Kushida. I just don't see where he really fits in with the other heavyweights.

Time to bring Tanaka and Komatsu home so they can fill the void in the Jr Tag division.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Yes tanaka and komatsu look really promising and have bright futures. Working with the bucks if they decide to push them will do wonders.
    Spoiler:

Status

I can see Trent getting a partner and going after the heavyweight tag belts or being a part of the Suzuki vs CHAOS feud or some shit. I'm not sure what he's going to do either, it's an interesting move. Not against seeing Rocky Romero as a singles guy either, think he's very fun. It's something new, I guess.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    The pimp guy I wanted to see more of done very little.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Also Tig, you don't want to see more of pimp guy. He sucks.
    I wondered about this. I've been checking in with NJPW on and off for a couple of years now and Yujiro has made next to no impression on me whatsoever. Now I'm watching regularly I've noticed that he does next to nothing whenever he's involved in anything, so he's earned the impression I have. Is it just that he's actually shit because it seems so odd that his role seems to be that he brings hot girls to the ring with him sometimes and then stands on the apron most of the time doing bugger all.

I enjoyed the shows and have some garbled random thoughts:-

Barnett/JR felt unproduced, sometimes to their detriment but I prefer them to Kevin Kelly and Don Callis on the regular shows because I think they pretty much suck.

The majority of the US title tourney was great but I think I officially don't rate Kenny Omega, his matches with Okada aside I've not seen much consistency out of him and he uses that running knee far too much for the impact it's supposed to have. He's a bit of a spot monkey when he isn't limited by time and/or his opponent. Ishii however is fucking wonderful, I love him and would happily be his wife and have his babies.

Bucks/RPG Vice was legitimately the worst match of the whole weeked for me; nonsensical, clusterfuck, spotfest wankery and a match I've seen those four have together before numerous times. I enjoyed Gunn/Tanahashi more because at least Billy's strategy made sense.

I hope this isn't the end of the Cody/Omega tensions; the towel spots in Okada/Omega II and Okada/Cody really upped my intrigue levels in both matches when they happened and if this were WWE it would obviously be leading to some kind of Bullet Club vs. Elite angle with Kenny and Cody at the front of that fued. This being New Japan however I'm not sure if that's how they work, they obviously book things a little differently and I wouldn't be surprised if that whole thing was about earning each others respect and now it's done.

Marked for Haku.

Needed more KUSHIDA.

Thread Information