Country                    United States

Re: WWE Great Balls of Fire 2017 Discussion

This felt like an attitude era PPV.

#Don'tHinderTheJinder #Maharaja #GOAT

Olympic Hero Smod

Status
      Country                    England

Great Balls of Fire Re: WWE Great Balls of Fire 2017 Discussion

Right here goes a few thoughts on WWE Great Balls of Fire!

-Thought the kickoff match was good but I still don't think they should be putting any title matches on Kickoff shows. Neville might be my favourite performer in 2017 and his matches whoever they are against have been superb. Hopefully we get a longer rematch between the two at SummerSlam. I would love to see Neville hold on to the title for over 12 months though.

-Bray Wyatt vs. Seth Rollins was just a match. I was never invested in the feud from the start and they haven't done anything to get me interested. Seth has regressed massively since his face turn and Bray is Bray.

-I really hoped we would get some hope spots from Enzo in this match but it is clear they only care about pushing Big Cass. I get it but I think it could take him quite a while to become what he needs to become. We all said the same about Braun though so there's that. Intrigued to see if they do anything with Enzo at all.

-Ironman match was split into segments and with it being 30 minutes I guess that was to be expected. I liked there was a reason for the early fall with Cesaro and Sheamus outsmarting The Hardys. In too many of these type of matches you just see early falls for the sake of them. Last 5 minutes of this were amazing. It felt like it all built to that crescendo with either team possibly winning. One criticism I do have is this really made The Hardys look old. Matt was blowing bad by the end of it and looking rough. Not just because he got busted open. I feel this is the logical end to the feud and we see The Revival in some capacity tonight on RAW.

-Enjoyed Sasha Banks vs. Alexa Bliss more than I thought I would. The countout finish progresses the feud and gives me hope we won't be getting Bliss vs. Nia Jax at SummerSlam. The spot off the announce table at the end looked dangerous and could have been bad for both women involved. Not sure why they didn't go for something safer to be honest. Bliss and Banks have good characters to interact together so I want to see more of what they can do together.

-I'm fine with The Miz and I'm fine with Dean Ambrose but I now think this feud needs to end. It seems like it has been going on forever. At this point The Miz vs. Finn Balor could be an interesting way to go. The Miztourage and in particular Bo Dallas' wardrobe choices might be my new favourite thing

-Now then let's get to the real newsworthy matches of the night. First up the Ambulance Match between Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman. I though this was expertly done and really enjoyed how great the finish looked with Reigns missing a Spear and ending up in the Ambulance. Bruan then over celebrating and Reigns coming back was interesting particularly in the way he did it. I saw people saying heel turn last night but there is NO way I think that is happening. Roman has snapped before, see TLC when he took out Triple H a couple of years ago. I felt the aftermath just went on too long. I felt it was obvious when Braun was got out of the ambulance he was going to not have medical treatment and stand. The edges are blurred here because although you have to suspend your disbelief with wrestling, Reigns just walking off after deliberately crashing a vehicle with an enemy is basically attempted murder... I dunno, I just felt it was silly. Braun is just unbelievably good for a big man and for a wrestler with little experience. I guess this feud has to go on to SummerSlam now.

-The main event between Brock Lesnar and Samoa Joe for the Universal Championship was in my eyes PERFECT. Lesnar was always going to win and I was fine with that but Joe came out of this looking like a mega star. From the pre-match beatdown to the action in the match and the length of the contest it just all came together so well. Lesnar had far less offence which told the story that he was only just able to keep hold of his title and on another night Joe would have beaten him. That gives them the perfect story for a rematch if they choose. I want to see it at SummerSlam but a lot depends on Reigns and Strowman. I want to give massive props to Lesnar for his performance here. I though his selling was first class.

Overall, I thought Great Balls of Fire was a big thumbs up of a show. Lots was strongly booked and the co-main events both delivered in spades. RAW is definitely the stronger show right now.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    The job was to build up Joe as a true threat, and they did that to to a degree, but didn't Roman take multiple F5's from Lesnar and kick out, but Joe takes one and he's back to the showers?
    I haven't read many of the other comments besides for Fuji's response to you but I agree. While kicking out and then having some convoluted sequence leading to another F5 would have changed the story they were trying to tell, I'm a little disappointed there wasn't at least one F5 earlier in the match where Brock was too winded to make the cover (or something). That way there would be at least some question of who is the inferior Samoan. I would have been fine with him kicking out after 3 or something too.

Other than that (and probably some minor nitpicks I'm not remembering) that was a great show. I was thoroughly sports entertained.

I HAVE STARTED STREAMING MY GAME SESSIONS
    ...COME AND CHECK IT OUT IF YOU'RE BORED,OK?

HOSS MOD

Status

Quick thoughts on the event as a whole:

*Cruiserweight match was solid enough. There's a real chance Tozawa can get massively over with the crowd if they let him.

*Bray/Seth was a fine opener. Yeah, the feud is dumb and there's no reason to care about it, but the match itself was perfectly serviceable and you can't say Bray dragged Seth down. Given a better storyline and more proper feud work, this would've likely been a lot more appreciated. As it is, it's fine.

*Big Cass/Enzo was precisely what it needed to be. Anybody who is bitching about Enzo getting zero offense is missing the point. Enzo's pre-match promo and his selling of the shit-stomping he got from Cass plus showing the heart to get back in the ring before being counted out did more for him moving forward than any offense would've. Cass looked like a bully, Enzo looked like the plucky underdog he was born to play. Time will tell if heel Cass has any legs to it, but Enzo put on a masterclass in being a babyface punching bag and I appreciate the hell out of that.

*Ironman Match was expectedly boring until we got to the last ten minutes, but it's an Ironman Match so you know what you're in for. As far as these matches go, this one was probably one of the better ones. Major props to the team of Cesaro and Sheamus for being so goddamn clever throughout the match. I loved that early pinfall and that finish stretch.

*Sasha/Alexa was a decent enough women's match. Countout was a bit lame, but it extends the feud so I can't bitch too much. Post match stuff was cool.

*Pretty soft IC Title match. Let's have a new feud now, please.

*Braun Strowman is the fucking best. This was a fun mess of a match and a clever finish to keep both men protected. I dig it. The post match stuff was...I dunno. There's a fine line between a babyface getting angry and shit-stomping a heel in revenge (i.e. the Triple H beatdown while Reigns was feuding with Sheamus) and flat-out trying to murder the fuck out of somebody for losing a match because you fucked up. My memory's a bit fuzzy, but I don't recall Steve Austin attempting vehicular homicide against somebody (it was usually the other way around IIRC). Silver lining? Braun looked FUCKING BEASTLY coming out of that ambulance. Fuck your medical care, WWE. The only thing Braun needs to heal from severe wounds and hemorrhaging is his RAGE.

*I kinda wanted the Joe/Brock match to be a bit more, but for a short match they crammed a lot into it and Joe came out looking like he was on par with Lesnar. You can debate whether one F5 wasn't enough or not, but it IS supposed to be the move that Bork finishes people with, and we do like us some finisher protection on WC, don't we?

All in all, Stupidly Named PPV ended up being one of the most fun shows of the year. Not half bad.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

I feel like in every Strowman/Reigns interaction or match we've seen, the foundation for a double turn has been laid out and then the next time we see these two again none of the alignments have changed. I know it's obvious say "guys, they're not turning Roman Reigns heel because that would be silly" but booking like this constantly happens and last night was the icing on the cake. Roman tried to murder a man just because he got caught off his game and looked like an idiot for it. I won't be surprised if it's the same old shit tonight and they try to look Reigns look valiant and right for doing what he did, but after all the backwards booking in this feud and seeing what we got last night, I don't understand why this wouldn't be an official double turn. Isn't this why Hart/Austin worked? Hart didn't like the idea of looking weak or feeling like "less than" a world title contender and contantly tried to have the last word on his interactions with Austin. We just saw the same exact thing last night.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

HOSS MOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    I feel like in every Strowman/Reigns interaction or match we've seen, the foundation for a double turn has been laid out and then the next time we see these two again none of the alignments have changed. I know it's obvious say "guys, they're not turning Roman Reigns heel because that would be silly" but booking like this constantly happens and last night was the icing on the cake. Roman tried to murder a man just because he got caught off his game and looked like an idiot for it. I won't be surprised if it's the same old shit tonight and they try to look Reigns look valiant and right for doing what he did, but after all the backwards booking in this feud and seeing what we got last night, I don't understand why this wouldn't be an official double turn. Isn't this why Hart/Austin worked? Hart didn't like the idea of looking weak or feeling like "less than" a world title contender and contantly tried to have the last word on his interactions with Austin. We just saw the same exact thing last night.
    As far as fans are concerned, the double turn may as well have already happened. However, considering WWE's stubbornness, I doubt they'll acknowledge it like they did with Hart-Austin. Hell, that opening package they played before the match tells us all everything we need to know about how WWE wants us to see Reigns.

Raw will be at least very interesting. I'll be curious to see how this pans out.

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    I haven't read many of the other comments besides for Fuji's response to you but I agree. While kicking out and then having some convoluted sequence leading to another F5 would have changed the story they were trying to tell, I'm a little disappointed there wasn't at least one F5 earlier in the match where Brock was too winded to make the cover (or something). That way there would be at least some question of who is the inferior Samoan. I would have been fine with him kicking out after 3 or something too.

Other than that (and probably some minor nitpicks I'm not remembering) that was a great show. I was thoroughly sports entertained.
    I can understand that some people don't like to see Wrestlers kicking out multiple finishers, if the placement of it makes sense for the story being told in the match then I'm good with it. Hey it took two Sweet Chin Music Superkicks to the Jaw of Bret Hart to win Michaels first WWE World Title, and who doesn't forget forget the moment when that happened. I thought if you dissect the whole match, take away Joe attacking Lesnar before the match really even truly started, they were nothing there outside a few Coquina Clutches and a German Suplexes. I think with how much the built invested into the match going in, they could of done more. These guys are legit Wrestlers and could of mauled and ripped each other apart for 30 mins and Joe still loses, but they gave us not even a 1/3 of that. I'm crossing my fingers a rematch will happen so I get my load blown that I wished would of happened last night.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    -Now then let's get to the real newsworthy matches of the night. First up the Ambulance Match between Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman. I though this was expertly done and really enjoyed how great the finish looked with Reigns missing a Spear and ending up in the Ambulance. Bruan then over celebrating and Reigns coming back was interesting particularly in the way he did it. I saw people saying heel turn last night but there is NO way I think that is happening. Roman has snapped before, see TLC when he took out Triple H a couple of years ago. I felt the aftermath just went on too long. I felt it was obvious when Braun was got out of the ambulance he was going to not have medical treatment and stand. The edges are blurred here because although you have to suspend your disbelief with wrestling, Reigns just walking off after deliberately crashing a vehicle with an enemy is basically attempted murder... I dunno, I just felt it was silly. Braun is just unbelievably good for a big man and for a wrestler with little experience. I guess this feud has to go on to SummerSlam now.
    Don't get me wrong, I was talking about suspending disbelief about the acting portion of the segment... that both men walked away from the incident was idiotic but I'm willing to let it go because pro-wrestling. I would've much preferred it, if Roman had been detained by police or in need of medical treatment and if Braun had attempted to walk away but eventually had to succumb to his need for assistance from paramedics, but I'm willing to let that slide.

Now, I don't see how they can spin this as Roman being the good guy in the scenario. As Cyrus said, the beat down on Hunter was very clearly justified because Trips was continuely poking the bear and regardless of the crowd reactions Roman was a face and Triple H was a heel, it actually got a positive reaction from the crowd for that reason. This was a man attempting to kill another man because he beat him, fair and square, you can't spin that, that is a heel act. Braun was the one getting all the shine during the match and doing all the face comebacks and the attack on him after match invoked sympathy from the crowd; Roman was clearly anguished about what he was thinking when they had that whole section of him considering his options, but that he did it makes him a heel and an apology doesn't bring him back from attempted murder. If WWE try to make out he's a face after this then they are truly batshit bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    *I kinda wanted the Joe/Brock match to be a bit more, but for a short match they crammed a lot into it and Joe came out looking like he was on par with Lesnar. You can debate whether one F5 wasn't enough or not, but it IS supposed to be the move that Bork finishes people with, and we do like us some finisher protection on WC, don't we?
    We do, and it's why I'm not getting too annoyed by it, but there's way's around it that wouldn't have felt so half-arsed and made the finish feel so weird.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

A decent opener from Bray & Seth. Flowed quite nicely at times but I didn't like the finish, it was really cheap and wasn't really warranted. Guess it'll be a rematch down the line.

Cass vs Enzo went as expected. I'm not sure what will be next for Enzo, but Cass is surely going to be pushed towards the IC Title.

Ironman tag was very good. I'm shocked they allowed a fall in the first ten seconds or so but it certainly played out very well, much better than I expected it to be. The right result in the end too, even if that winning fall of Cesaro pinned Jeff after Jeff hit a swanton is a bit weird haha.

Didn't get into the womens title match and the countout finish, whilst it works for a heel champion, just extends this feud and Sasha really annoys me haha.

Ambrose/Miz was fine and probably went down as expected, I do wonder how long it takes for Ambrose to get his own crew together...or back together as the case may be.

Really enjoyed Reigns vs Strowman. Very hard hitting, some really solid looking spots..so Strowman won but err Reigns takes him out and drives him away in the ambulance haha. wowzers that's an AE spot if I ever knew one...Is that Reigns heel turn now or just a way to get him a title shot at Summerslam haha. Plus this feud isn't over.

Joe vs Lesnar....too short but was hard hitting so can deal with that. Joe has been made a star in this short feud...i'd love to see them go at it again in a longer match but can't win them all.
    I have a plan so cunning......

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny RaiZ View Post
    We do, and it's why I'm not getting too annoyed by it, but there's way's around it that wouldn't have felt so half-arsed and made the finish feel so weird.
    Plenty of ways around it. I mean realistically if Lesnar jumped a little, or pulled Joe down hard, or made it look like more than your standard F5, that would have been enough.

People saying that 'not many can make Brock look like that' and essentially citing Brock's post-match fatigue as evidence that Joe can 'hang,' but I don't think it can really be argued that without anything extra and no 'kickout at three', it established Joe as 'less than' Roman, Cena, etc.

What's the point of that? Joe kicking out of the F5 wouldn't have hurt the move any more/less than those A-listers already did, and you'd create one more A-lister for little more than you were already prepared to give him. It's not like this finish restored efficacy to the F5. No one is coming out of this going, 'damn that F5 is a killer move again.' They're thinking, 'wow Joe went out after one F5 compared to everyone else'.

If you're in the camp that thinks Joe shouldn't be a big star, this finish was probably satisfactory to you.

I HAVE STARTED STREAMING MY GAME SESSIONS
    ...COME AND CHECK IT OUT IF YOU'RE BORED,OK?

When the black man talkin

Status

This show was a blast, but in particular the Ironman match was fantastic (I'm a huge fan of them anyway) and it just kept getting better and better.

Roman vs Braun was one of the best matches I've seen all year, and an excellent part to what I think is already the best feud I've seen this year (though my wrestling watching is very limited). I thought it was absolutely fantastic, especially for an ambulance match. These two are made for each other. Treating Reigns as an unstoppable ace over the last two years has really benefited Braun as Braun just dominates him. Reigns is so so good at selling and bumping and Braun gives him the perfect opportunity to showcase that. Braun is amazing at presenting himself, and knowing just when to sell and when not to. I thought both of them came out of this match looking brilliant. The aftermath was great too, I loved it. From the presentation, with the impromptu match and everyone being in a panic, to a bloody Braun walking away after attempted murder. Great shit.

I need Braun vs Brock, and to watch Braun throw Lesnar about like a ragdoll.

For A Better WC

Status

Am I the only person who thinks the Braun/Reigns series of matches are better than Omega/Okada's? feud of the year so far in WWE. Braun seems to be one of the few guys WWE is doing the right thing with.

would have the ironman as my MOTN and I disagree with Cyrus totally that it was boring in the beginning 10 minutes. Thought it flowed really well.

Loved the Joe/Lesnar match up until the finish. Sorry to be a whiner, but it is disappointing that as expected Joe was just someone to put over Lesnar before Summerslam despite being in killer segments all month and showing the potential to be a main event player for Raw. I don't see how it makes Joe look strong that he's had to cheapshot Lesnar all month, and again in the match, only to lose the match in fewer moves that it took to dispatch nearly all of Brocks big opponents since his 2012 return. Even if it does lead to a rematch, the angle so far has told me that Joe can't hang that long with Lesnar even when he cheats. Fun match though. Hope Joe doesn't fade away too much.

When does Oney Lorcan get five minutes with Brock?

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

I'm not kidding when I say Oney Lorcan vs. Brock Lesnar would be the greatest wrestling match of all time, especially if you take Brock's batshit formula and mix it with Oney's batshit formula.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

That was actually a pretty solid show in the end. I've not really watched any Raw's in months so I don't have much context in terms of buildup for the matches outside of when i read the results on WWE.com.

Don't feel any match on the night was truly bad. Miz/Ambrose was probably the weakest of the lot and even then it wasn't a terrible match at all. The Ironman match had a bit of a lul in the middle section as most long running matches do have but in general I thought it was a pretty enjoyable match. Rollins/Bray was solid enough as an opener. Bliss/Banks was probably Alexa's best PPV match to date and Cass/Enzo was exactly what it needed to be, Cass just beating the shit out of Enzo. While it was still a mistake to break up both men at least the match last night was booked to perfection.

Braun/Reigns was probably my MOTN and both guys really do keep just getting better and better with each showing. I laughed at first when I saw Reigns get the upperhand on Strowman after the match because my initial feeling was "man they really don't wanna make Roman look weak in defeat" but after actually seeing the aftermath of it all I feel they did the right thing. My friend keeps telling me that a double turn is in the works but i'm still 50/50 on it. While it does seem like they are slowly heading that way I still can't shake the feeling that Vince is too scared to pull the trigger on a Reigns heel turn. I would love to see it happen but right now I just can't.

Finally Joe/Lesnar. Like Ed I loved this match right up until the end. Thought it was a poor way to end what was a solid match and by the sounds of things has been a solid enough buildup to the match. I don't see how Joe looks strong in defeat with this because again like Ed said he essentially had to continually cheap shot Lesnar to get the upperhand on him but when it was 1-1 Lesnar was able to simply dispose of him with relative ease. I also would have liked to see the match go on longer, not like they had any excuse to only make it 6 mins. But thats a minor complaint.

Overall good job WWE. Still a shit PPV name but at least the show was well worth the watch.

For A Better WC

Status

I loved the PPV Name. Bring it back WWE!

Feel The Heat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks the Braun/Reigns series of matches are better than Omega/Okada's?
    Nah. In the interest of full disclosure I haven't seen this ambulance match but I did see their Payback match and I definitely enjoyed it more than Okada/Omega at WK11.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Plenty of ways around it. I mean realistically if Lesnar jumped a little, or pulled Joe down hard, or made it look like more than your standard F5, that would have been enough.

People saying that 'not many can make Brock look like that' and essentially citing Brock's post-match fatigue as evidence that Joe can 'hang,' but I don't think it can really be argued that without anything extra and no 'kickout at three', it established Joe as 'less than' Roman, Cena, etc.

What's the point of that? Joe kicking out of the F5 wouldn't have hurt the move any more/less than those A-listers already did, and you'd create one more A-lister for little more than you were already prepared to give him. It's not like this finish restored efficacy to the F5. No one is coming out of this going, 'damn that F5 is a killer move again.' They're thinking, 'wow Joe went out after one F5 compared to everyone else'.

If you're in the camp that thinks Joe shouldn't be a big star, this finish was probably satisfactory to you.
    I do feel like Joe comes out of the feud looking better than he did before it started, mostly because before it started he was just floating around the upper mid-card doing nothing because after his big angle coming into the main roster they had no idea what to do with him, so that's a bonus; Joe is now someone that people that didn't watch NXT or TNA care about, but where they go from here with him is important. If this is the end of him vs. Lesnar then he needs a strong feud to help set himself up in the main event for the future because this was the feud that could've made him and it's ended up being the feud that almost made him but has left us with some questions... not because of Joe's lack of skill in any area (he's been fucking phenomenal) but because of how WWE has chosen to book him.

Am I the only person who thinks the Braun/Reigns series of matches are better than Omega/Okada's? feud of the year so far in WWE.
    Bear in mind how down I was on Braun back in January, and the fact that these two have been feuding since before then, as well as how I only really started watching New Japan with any real gusto in June (although I was checking in regularly since January) and take all that into account when you accept my answer; but I think I'm with you on both of those statements.

Loved the Joe/Lesnar match up until the finish. Sorry to be a whiner, but it is disappointing that as expected Joe was just someone to put over Lesnar before Summerslam despite being in killer segments all month and showing the potential to be a main event player for Raw. I don't see how it makes Joe look strong that he's had to cheapshot Lesnar all month, and again in the match, only to lose the match in fewer moves that it took to dispatch nearly all of Brocks big opponents since his 2012 return. Even if it does lead to a rematch, the angle so far has told me that Joe can't hang that long with Lesnar even when he cheats. Fun match though. Hope Joe doesn't fade away too much.
    He didn't have to cheapshot Lesnar all month though, the initial pull apart brawl was done face-to-face and Joe more than held his own. Sure, he through the first shot but Brock is (in the story) a high level mixed martial artist and has been a champion in multiple companies and as such there's a certain level of awareness and skill he has that others don't; yes, Joe choked him out after an attack from behind, yes, Joe attacked him from behind before the title match, but in a face-to-face confrontation we know he can hang... but he's a heel and see's no reason to do that - why bother hanging with the guy and risking getting hurt when you can take the easy way out? That's heel 101.

It's shitty that he lost the way he did, with just one F5 that didn't even come with extra sauce on it, but I do maintain that a) Joe looks way better than he did in May, and b) Joe can hang at Lesnar's level, when he wants to/gets booked to.

Mostly though, I'm crossing my fingers that we get more from these two for SummerSlam and Lesnar actually decides to work a match that goes longer than ten minutes and gives Joe a bit more. Not kicking out of one F5 is fine, as long as next time he does kick out. If there's no further story here and they just let Joe go back to floating around with nothing to do then fuck 'em, they're wasting Joe and they don't deserve him.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Solid show. They should have made the Lesnar/Joe match a bit longer. Disappointed with the finish. Hope to see a rematch with Joe getting the win. Really enjoyed the Iron man tag match and Reigns vs Strowman.

Thread Information