Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Io Shirai accepts offer to join WWE

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    United States

Io Shirai accepts offer to join WWE

Io Shirai, one of the biggest women's wrestling stars in Japan, has accepted WWE's offer to join the company, our Dave Meltzer reports.

Shirai, 27, is considered one of the top wrestlers in the Stardom promotion. She had previously attended a Performance Center tryout back in March, though WWE quickly wiped out all mentions of her in an accompanying article.

This would be a big blow to Stardom, with both of their top acts in Shirai and Kairi Hojo departing the company. Both had previously considered staying in Japan after receiving interest from WWE late last year, but it seems that both have now changed their minds.

Hojo announced her departure from Stardom earlier this month, and is expected to start at the WWE Performance Center shortly. As of right now, there is no start date for Shirai to come in.

More information concerning Shirai’s status will be in this week's edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Source: f4wonline
    Pretty big news. Like the direction they are going.

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Io Shirai accepts offer to join WWE

This me right now, between tears and levels of hype that can only reach a Super Saiyan God. Kairi Hojo and Io Shirai are going to blow you guys, who don't want Joshi away day one just make sure you guys have a extra part of Briefs, Thongs or Underwear with ya during their matches you'll need it.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I'll believe it when she drops the belt and when Meltzer actually starts watching Joshi/not flipflopping on his reporting of it. He's been saying she's signed/she's not signed for months now.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Kassius HoHo View Post
    Kairi Hojo and Io Shirai are going to blow you guys
    Well hey, I like the sound of that.

Also yeah, I feel like this is the third time Shirai's been confirmed to sign.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Shit Into The Fire

Status
      Country                    England

Meltzer is always doubted when it's news people don't want confirmed

I hope it's legit and she's coming to WWE to advance her career, she's too good to be limited to joshi/stardom which only a fraction of people will ever legally watch.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I hope it's legit and she's coming to WWE to advance her career, she's too good to be limited to joshi/stardom which only a fraction of people will ever legally watch.
    Same here. I can't believe I've seen people bitching and moaning about this (if it's true) like she's somehow ruining her career by going to the biggest wrestling company in the world.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Television Shows of 2015~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis

Status

I don't doubt Meltzer normally but considering he reported that Shirai had been offered a deal in October (?) and has consistently changed his mind on whether she's joining or not just means I'll wait for proper confirmation. She was supposed to start in April according to him too.

Pretty sure just a few days ago he said that Io's tryout went bad and she wasn't signing. I guess he has WWE sources that can confirm she's signed but his reporting on this stuff over the last half year has been very poor.

People moaning about it are probably just pissed that WWE have taken Stardom's two biggest draws and are thinking Stardom's doomed. It's understandable. I do think WWE have deliberately done so but think Stardom will be fine.

It's a good move for any Joshi, obviously. But especially for Io since there's nothing left for her to do in the scene. Her character is stale, no interesting matches left and her drawing power has lessened and those are all consequences of having nothing left to do in Stardom. Brand new audience, fresh environment etc will be good. Assuming she can get over.

Really worried that one of Kairi/Io is going to suffer due to both joining at the same time. There was space for the pair at the top in Stardom but don't think it'll be the same here.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

The cleaner's apprentice

Status
      Country                    England

If she is booked anything like Askua then she will be fine. The only possible problem is her ability to speak English or connecting with the crowd but then again Askua had no trouble. It all depends if she gets put on the main roster or NXT first.

The Elite

Status

I hope she isnt booked like Asuka. Her (and Kairi's) English is way above Asuka's level so they don't need to be kept too silent. I actually don't know what she will promo about as her shtick has always been about showing Stardom to be the best etc.

She's probably tourny bound and is winning.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Yeah I don't want a silent Assassin type of character for Kairi, Io can pull it off though she's quite to herself in interviews. They could always have Io win the tourney feud with Asuka, and Kairi feud with Nikki Storm and Ember Moon if wanted to turn her heel tired of being a nice girl type of thing.

Real Women of Genius

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Unstoppable

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Asuka, Kairi, and now Io? Oh god yes...

And even less reason to think Paige will ever come back.
    Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

Status

Shirai might not be in the tournament due to timing issues. Kind of makes sense since I would have thought she'd announce departure at the same time as Kairi.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    Shirai might not be in the tournament due to timing issues. Kind of makes sense since I would have thought she'd announce departure at the same time as Kairi.
    Oh well that changes my prediction of the winner for the tourney if that is the case.

Real Women of Genius

Status

I read somewhere that Hojo might not be able to do her elbow drop (Because Bailey uses the elbow drop) which would totally stink if she isn't allowed to.

go to 1:11 in video.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Same here. I can't believe I've seen people bitching and moaning about this (if it's true) like she's somehow ruining her career by going to the biggest wrestling company in the world.
    Well Gail Kim didn't do her careers any favors by going to the WWE. Hopefully this is a new era there and others will be given more opportunities to show what they can do.

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    I don't doubt Meltzer normally but considering he reported that Shirai had been offered a deal in October (?) and has consistently changed his mind on whether she's joining or not just means I'll wait for proper confirmation. She was supposed to start in April according to him too.

Pretty sure just a few days ago he said that Io's tryout went bad and she wasn't signing. I guess he has WWE sources that can confirm she's signed but his reporting on this stuff over the last half year has been very poor.
    Reading would be your friend.

As someone who actually has read what Meltzer had to say, he's opinion on Shirai joining WWE has been consistent from the beginning; that the ball has been in her court and he expects it to happen. And just so so you know, Meltzer also never said that Io's tryout was bad and that she wasn't signing. The only thing that's been 'very poor' about this situation is your understanding of what Meltzer's had to say about it. That actually has been consistent.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Status

Re: Reply

Quote Originally Posted by EgoFantastico View Post
    Reading would be your friend.

As someone who actually has read what Meltzer had to say, he's opinion on Shirai joining WWE has been consistent from the beginning; that the ball has been in her court and he expects it to happen. And just so so you know, Meltzer also never said that Io's tryout was bad and that she wasn't signing. The only thing that's been 'very poor' about this situation is your understanding of what Meltzer's had to say about it. That actually has been consistent.
    what's that got to do with the price of cheese tho

His coverage on Shirai joining has been meh at best. He reported in October that Shirai had been offered a WWE deal and was going to leave Stardom. Then he tacked on Kairi to that too and said she was coming with Io. He reported Io's 10th anniversary show as her last major event and stated Hojo's was in April. Both way off. Reports that they changed their minds citing Io having past heat with Asuka as a factor (despite Io herself saying she and Asuka were friends now) was pretty ridiculous too since if he actually paid attention to the Joshi scene then he'd have known that wouldn't be an issue at all. Also stating that Io would be in the US over mania weekend was wrong too. I believed it but the things he has gotten wrong makes me think he has been getting poor information and is talking out of his ass. His coverage of Stardom and the Joshi scene in general (which to him IS Stardom + Meiko Satomura pretty much) is abysmal. Dude thought Asuka was Stardom's biggest star prior to Io. She's never wrestled a match in the promotion... and you expect me to believe this guy's in the know in Joshi? Get real.

Reporting that Hojo was reconsidering and deciding to stay was wrong too. She told Stardom she was leaving over 8 months ago and didn't reconsider. That's from a direct source who works in the promotion. And from what they've said regarding Iwatani-Shirai's match in December, it seems like Stardom also knew Io was definitely WWE bound since Iwatani was scheduled to go over and only didn't because she was ill and had to take time off.

Then you've got him citing Iwatani retiring before the end of the year. Exact same source from above has stated that this is mega bullshit and never at any point has a retirement been discussed with the rumour literally coming out of nowhere. It remains to be seen whether he's got this one right. I'll check back in with you at half 7 at some point in December to see.

He obviously knew of Io and Hojo being of interest to WWE but I very much doubt he has had any clue with regards to their true thoughts and feelings.

Meltzer never said Io's tryout was bad but he very much implied that it was by saying that it didn't go swimmingly. Poor word choice, sure, but idk am I supposed to take away that it went well from that? She didn't think it went well either. True, he didn't say she wasn't signing. My mistake.

His reporting on Joshi is shoddy and I've only given credence to what he says because he's very clearly in the know when it comes to WWE.
    Last edited by RyuShake Taguchi; 05-19-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

Powerful Red S-Mod

Status

Shake, you drugged up dumbass. You can't doubt the great WON, NOBODY on Twitter has inside sources in wrestling these days except him.

Dave isn't even in the loop on Men's wrestling outside of WWE, letalone Joshi.

He definitely wasn't in any kind of any inner circle on this one, nor is he to be trusted in something like this, my guess is that he read some translated stuff from Weekly Pro Wrestling (A popular, but not reliable wrestling magazine in Japan) or Twitter translator X.

Heard some interesting things about Io's tryout myself, not that she did bad, kinda figured her & Kairi were going, though Shake kinda convinced me not with his conspiracy theories. LMAO

I won't sit here and act like she's making some huge leap in her career. These girls are not going to be on Raw making a million bucks. They're gonna be in a low rent vanity project in Florida until they go back when they're older and used up in a few years. I'd bet on Io being something longterm before Kairi but my hopes are low for both.
    Mercedes McQueen

Bitch~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator LIGER FEVER)

Status

Hey man, Io really was promoing like she was staying in Stardom and I thought booking-wise, she was staying. Shared my conspiracy theories with you before finding out Mayu was supposed to win the red belt in December. I'll believe she's gone when I see it. She's red belt champ forever.

I'm not sure how much they'll be getting paid but I wouldn't be shocked if it's around the same as what they were getting in Stardom until they get out of NXT. Both likely made a decent amount since they were head trainers to go along with being the main draws. Io also makes a killing off of selling her masks and other various merch whilst I'm sure Kairi must get a decent cut from her merch. And then there's sponsors, too. I think Kairi needs to be the one to get off to a quick start - she's older and I think her body is probably a bit more banged up.

Spoiler:

POWERFUL RANGERS

Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo

PLUS ULTRA!!

Status

Yeah theirs no way Shirai and Hojo don't leave Stardom for WWE if they ain't making close to what they were making with Stardom or a little bit more. Funny Shake brings up the merch because both make a killing like he said, but won't WWE try to get a piece of that action especially if both rock their Masks?

Also no more Photobooks

Real Women of Genius

Thread Information