Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJPW Dominion 6.11 in Osaka-jo Hall

GET THESE HANDS

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW Dominion 6.11 in Osaka-jo Hall

Quote Originally Posted by RyuShake Taguchi View Post
    Omega and Naito seem a lock for G1 Special US tourney finals so not sure what we're going to get. Getting swerved for sure there. Okada losing to Cody would work in that Omega would definitely get jealous and force a BC split. But that might happen even if Cody doesn't win. Could just go nowhere. Who knows? I'd guess now's a good time for a Cody-Okada switch in hopes of Cody having a good G1 and getting super over like Styles did. Okada might just win the G1 and pick Omega or Naito just cause he's a madman. But Okada dropping the belt in the US would be a huge moment tbh.
    Just a thought on Omega in that US title tournament, I feel like we'll be getting an Elite 6 man tag somewhere on this tour so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an early Omega elimination. With Omega's issues in getting a visa for America, I doubt they planned to make him the first US champion. I could see it going to someone like Big Mike for example, and give the folks a rematch of that Naito/Elgin title match from earlier in the year that some people loved.

The US tour is just booked weird and shows Gedo's failings as a booker if he thinks this is the way to make inroads in America (more americans, less japanese workers). idk if this was always gonna be the plan, or they just switched it to a really meh line up because they sold out the shows so easily, but I'd be disappointed if I'd paid to see this history tour in person and Okada Vs Cody and Tanahashi Vs Billy fucking Gunn are your big title matches. Cody could well win the belt because there's a decent angle there in Omega doing all the hard work, taking Okada to his limits and wearing him down, and then Cody picks up the pieces and maybe even cheats to win because he has no honour or desire to win clean, and then they focus on how Omega reacts to that.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Outsider perspective from someone who follows the news/results but watches very little:

Omega beats Okada in a G1 block match, setting up a final showdown between the end of G1 & Tokyo Dome for the two. Meanwhile, Naito wins G1 and faces Okada at Tokyo Dome.
    It could happen. It's the most likely way of happening imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Just a thought on Omega in that US title tournament, I feel like we'll be getting an Elite 6 man tag somewhere on this tour so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an early Omega elimination. With Omega's issues in getting a visa for America, I doubt they planned to make him the first US champion. I could see it going to someone like Big Mike for example, and give the folks a rematch of that Naito/Elgin title match from earlier in the year that some people loved.

The US tour is just booked weird and shows Gedo's failings as a booker if he thinks this is the way to make inroads in America (more americans, less japanese workers). idk if this was always gonna be the plan, or they just switched it to a really meh line up because they sold out the shows so easily, but I'd be disappointed if I'd paid to see this history tour in person and Okada Vs Cody and Tanahashi Vs Billy fucking Gunn are your big title matches. Cody could well win the belt because there's a decent angle there in Omega doing all the hard work, taking Okada to his limits and wearing him down, and then Cody picks up the pieces and maybe even cheats to win because he has no honour or desire to win clean, and then they focus on how Omega reacts to that.
    Bucks are defending their belts against RPG Vice on night 2 of the specials so I don't think an Elite six man tag is in the offing. Maybe they'll sneak something in though. I don't really mind the booking of the cards that much - it was to be expected. I don't know how much it will help but I think if they're trying to attract more than just the indy audience then names like Gunn and Cody could potentially help. How much I don't know. But I guess they are names at least? I'm really curious how they handle the American expansion as it seems like people got into NJPW for the product they're putting out in Japan and they might end up changing it to suit the US crowd or try to play to the majority which might make it quite different.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

GET THESE HANDS

Status
      Country                    England

Just as I thought, Meltzer giving a match 6 stars is opening himself up to parody and making his scale seem silly and broken because now he's given Omega/Okada II 6 and 1/4 stars.

Show Off

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Just as I thought, Meltzer giving a match 6 stars is opening himself up to parody and making his scale seem silly and broken because now he's given Omega/Okada II 6 and 1/4 stars.
    Good for Dave. He doesn't care about his own ratings and just further makes people look like idiots for taking his word as gospel.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I thought this was much better paced than the first match...UNTIL everything after Cody and the rest of the Bullet Club came out. When they did the throwing in the towel tease and argued amongst themselves, it felt like this big moment where we didn't know how much more Omega could physically push himself since it just seemed like Okada was just punishing him with Rainmakers to give the heel his comeuppance. But nope, turns out Omega could last another 15-20mins and still find time to include gun poses and NOT covering after very powerful knee strikes.

Also, is it just me who doesn't find Okada a likeable babyface whatsoever? You've got the crowd going nuts for Omega, he's exhaustion-selling his ass off and taking more risks. Meanwhile, Okada feels like this dropkicking blank slate. And this has nothing to do with kayfabe, but his method of breaking a table this time compared to Omega's fucking massive bump last time was shit.

Great match, they had me for 3/4s then went too long. Not MOTY and neither's the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

Meltzer's rating is pretty funny. It's amazing. I don't really have an issue with it per se since he never actually established the upper limit of his rating system and he's given matches more than five stars before iirc. Really, though, no issue with it since it just tells me he views Okada/Omega as being better than every five star match.

As far as the towel tease goes, I think that was done to convey some issues with BC... it came off like Cody was trying to ruin Omega's title shot. I can easily buy that Omega was fine going further... just Cody didn't want him to lest he actually win or something.

In terms of Okada as a babyface, I like him. He promos well and says the right things, he doesn't seem to act like a pussy or run from a challenge. I think he's pretty much the complete main eventer for NJPW right now and lacks any real flaw. I guess it depends on what you like but I don't see any reason to dislike Okada that's to do with his character or anything he does in kayfabe.

I guess we'll get a part three but my only real nagging criticism of the match is the leg work. Didn't mean much... but idk, might play a part down the line - maybe it was a tactical flaw by Omega to forget about going after the leg? Idk. They might recall it in the third match and show that the forgotten leg work was intentional here. I don't know.

I am confused if Omega is technically owed a rematch. It seems not. I guess they had Okada finish the match hunting for the win rather than Omega to get that point across. Idk.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 06-15-2017 at 08:54 PM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Last Real Man Hype

Status

I dunno, if I spent ages working on someone's leg then the second he starts making a comeback he's sprinting and diving over guardrails at me, I'd probably give up on that gameplan too

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

I mean, people in real fights do give up on gameplans if they are discouraged enough. Let someone hit you enough and you keep going then they'll lose faith in their abilities and so on I think it might have been a case of the legwork becoming ineffective or Omega not doing enough early on to achieve whatever he was aiming for. Plus, I guess it depends what's happening during the match. If Omega's in survival mode he's not really going to try and attack the knee and win, he's just going to try and survive using anything and everything possible.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

That's twice omega never beat Okada due to arguably his tactics, the first match he failed to get the one winged angel the secoud we failed to keep going after the leg. It could become a storyline that no matter how good omega is he is too rash to become champion has too much will to entertain rather then keeping it simple and stick to basics and it cost him. It could be he can't win the big one storyline but you know he wins eventually. I think the perfect storyline is that he beats OKADA in the g1 proving he can do it just without the title on the line, someone like naito or Suzuki wins the g1 with omega winning winnig the title shot around power struggle. This makes those matches for the wk Match less predictably, gives Suzuki the g1 he wants and gives us omega vs okada 4 (3 if you discount the g1 match). How about that or am I over thinking it
    Spoiler:

Thread Information