Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 165

Thread: The Prime Minister May Thread

  1. #1
    [Blank Space]
    Postman Dave's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Amestris
    Posts
    6,558
    Rep Power
    147502
      Country                    UK

    The Prime Minister May Thread

    May as well get this going now, I presume it'll be passed tomorrow.

    Surprised May called for this now, somewhat admire the balls too if I'm being honest. However, as much as I wanna get excited, she wouldn't do this if she wasn't confident.



  2. #2

    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    14,949
    Rep Power
    342674
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    We still getting an election in 2020? I havent kept up but I distinctly remember May saying she wouldn't do this.

    Should've known better.

    Voting SNP. Labour will lose their seat here, Lib Dems possibly too. Tories think theyre rising but theyre still pretty shit. They might win a seat or two though.

    But of course the Tories will win overall otherwise she wouldn't have called it. But its super risky. I think she might have called this due to opinion polls as well as the brexit factor. Tory majority is so slim that the remainers could defy May and impact alot of stuff... So May's fixing it by hoping to get more elected in this.

    I'd be hoping Lib/Lab supporters are clued in and tactically vote enough that the Tories get kept out in some places. Could lead to a potential Lib/Lab/SNP plurality.




    IMPORTANT MESSAGE

    Spoiler:




    ~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:






  3. #3
    For A Better WC

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    28,865
    Rep Power
    423088
      Country                    England

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    yay, more politics....

    Seems like it should be a slam dunk win for the Tories so there's nothing to get excited about here from my POV. Labour in too bad a position to contend.

  4. #4
    Mid-Card Champion
    Baldrick's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    791
    Rep Power
    17608
      Country                    Wales

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    She's got it all going for her at the moment. She's ahead in the "polls" (Use that term loosely as we all know how wrong they are), she's guiding us through Brexit, Labour are in turmoil, Lib Dems have not recovered from the mauling at the last election, SNP and Plaid Cymru have very little say. She does this now and wins, she's got until 2022 before having to hold another election, which will just mean more austerity due to the Tories, but can't win them all huh?
    I have a plan so cunning......

  5. #5
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,663
    Rep Power
    211860

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    This is seriously the most obvious election of all time. Tories are going to win by a long, long margin. May is absolutely right to do this now because it guarantees an extra 2 years in government until 2022, removes the stigma of her being "unelected" (dumb argument), and it's an easy win.

    - UKIP are irrelevant now. Most of them will float over to the Tories because they don't want to vote for Corbyn.
    - The Green Party are still irrelevant, thank fucking god. Would rather vote Conservative than them.
    - SNP will run over Scotland again, which will be seen as "making a statement" but they're only taking voters from Labour. Conservatives don't care.
    - Lib Dems will have a good bounce back based off Remain voters wanting a party that supports them. I think they will do surprisingly well. But they will gain more votes only at the expense of one party ...
    - Most importantly, Labour are a shambles, an embarrassment, completely unelectable. Corbyn is a fucking donkey who inspires even less confidence, somehow, than Milliband did. It's astonishing to me that they've picked 2 leaders since Gordon fucking Brown, and they've both been worse and even more uncharismatic. Labour don't have a hope in hell, and will lead this to be a straightforward election. Thankfully, this will be the final nail in the coffin for Corbyn - about a year too late to save Labour. Because of their ineptitude at being the opposition at key moments in our history, Labour have left us with a Tory government probably for the next 10 years.

    I'm voting Lib Dems as I have done in every election. They're the party closest to my values. Being in a Yorkshire constituent, I'm in a Tory stronghold so there's no chance of my vote mattering, but I hope this is a good showing for the Dems.

  6. #6
    For A Better WC

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    28,865
    Rep Power
    423088
      Country                    England

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread



    I'm with Brenda.

    Voting Labour because old habits die hard but honestly don't see much point voting this time around.

  7. #7
    Olympic Hero Smod

    Order's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    12,095
    Rep Power
    173846
      Country                    England

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    For the first time I won't be voting Labour. It's the only way Corbyn will have to go. My vote will be going Lib Dem and I think quite a few labour supporters will do the same. Conservatives will win by a landslide though.

  8. #8
    The Diplomatic Shadow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,874
    Rep Power
    24692
      Country                    United States

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Well, I mean...you guys already fucked up Brexit and continue to treat Ireland and Scotland like shit.
    Time stood still, and it shared with me all that had been, and all that was to come.

  9. #9
    Team Kick
    SwissMadeSmark's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Technodrome
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    1403

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The Green Party are still irrelevant, thank fucking god. Would rather vote Conservative than them.
    Why? Genuinely asking, I'm a Green who used to vote LD. Surely Greens are closer to LD values than Tories?

  10. #10
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,663
    Rep Power
    211860

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SwissMadeSmark View Post
    Why? Genuinely asking, I'm a Green who used to vote LD. Surely Greens are closer to LD values than Tories?
    Their policies on nuclear power, immigration and women's rights are crazy and genuinely terrify me as a concept.

    Tories are the big bad wolf of uk politics but in the end they don't negatively affect my life too much. We will keep on ticking on long afterwards. But the greens, I'd fear, could do irreprable damage to us.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Team Kick
    SwissMadeSmark's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Technodrome
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    1403

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Their policies on nuclear power, immigration and women's rights are crazy and genuinely terrify me as a concept.

    Tories are the big bad wolf of uk politics but in the end they don't negatively affect my life too much. We will keep on ticking on long afterwards. But the greens, I'd fear, could do irreprable damage to us.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Interesting. Not the first time I've heard people say they can't vote Green because of the nuclear policy. I don't really get that myself. I mean, the policy is to phase nuclear out over ten years as it is replaced by renewables. It's not like all the power stations will be decommissioned on day one. I do think we put too much emphasis on nuclear power as a party, It's better than fossil fuels. But still not renewable or cost effective, so not sure why replacing it with renewable seems to be as controversial as it is.

    I don't agree with some of the women's equality policies either. And I honestly don't know about quotas of women on boards. There's obviously institutional sexism at the top management levels, but I don't think quotas are the answer. But then im not sure what else is either. Ultimately any misgivings over equalities aren't enough to override all the stuff I like.

    Immigration...well, I don't think immigration is a problem. But I am willing to concede I live in London and therefore have a different experience of it to other people. I will say Green policy often gets misrepresented as open borders, it isn't.

  12. #12
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,663
    Rep Power
    211860

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SwissMadeSmark View Post
    Interesting. Not the first time I've heard people say they can't vote Green because of the nuclear policy. I don't really get that myself. I mean, the policy is to phase nuclear out over ten years as it is replaced by renewables. It's not like all the power stations will be decommissioned on day one. I do think we put too much emphasis on nuclear power as a party, It's better than fossil fuels. But still not renewable or cost effective, so not sure why replacing it with renewable seems to be as controversial as it is.

    I don't agree with some of the women's equality policies either. And I honestly don't know about quotas of women on boards. There's obviously institutional sexism at the top management levels, but I don't think quotas are the answer. But then im not sure what else is either. Ultimately any misgivings over equalities aren't enough to override all the stuff I like.

    Immigration...well, I don't think immigration is a problem. But I am willing to concede I live in London and therefore have a different experience of it to other people. I will say Green policy often gets misrepresented as open borders, it isn't.
    It will take a lot longer to phase out Nuclear power (and the fossil fuels) than ten years. Renewable energy is obviously the way to go but the way that the Greens want to go about it is too hasty, and damaging to the economy and our energy supplies because there won't be enough supply to met the demand.

    Then you've got stuff like the absurd and unrealistic increase to national minimum wage that would lead to so many lost jobs, the fact that they are unproven at governing at smaller levels nevermind on a national scale.

    Immigration is a huge problem and has been for a while now. It's the main reason why Brexit is a thing because politicians kept dancing around the issue for so long that they let a party (UKIP) use those concerns to grow prominence. If Labour (and later the Tories) had addressed immigration properly there wouldn't have been the rise in UKIP and the leave vote would never have stood a chance. The Greens' policy of allowing illegal immigrants to become citizens after 5 years, or not specifically looking for skilled workers is terrible.

    At the end of the day, any good policies that the Greens have are shared by the Lib Dems. And the Lib Dems don't have policies that are as horrifying as the Greens. I can't see a reason to vote Green over Lib Dems unless your argument is "but my tuition fees".

    At the end of the day, there's a lot of big decisions that parties have to go through when they're in power. A lot of big, difficult decisions. The Green party live in a fantasy world where all immigrants come with good intentions, businesses will adhere to NMW without any issues for the working man, and a world where renewable energy is the only source of energy. The world just isn't like that, they're too black and white, and that's alongside the very legitimate concerns that people should have about them. UKIP have one policy, and I wouldn't trust Labour to make a single strong decision at this point.

  13. #13
    [Blank Space]
    Postman Dave's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Amestris
    Posts
    6,558
    Rep Power
    147502
      Country                    UK

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Well if there's one bit of good this thread's done, it's told me I need to take a closer look at the Green's policies. Cheers chaps

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk



  14. #14
    Team Kick
    SwissMadeSmark's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Technodrome
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    1403

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    At the end of the day, any good policies that the Greens have are shared by the Lib Dems. And the Lib Dems don't have policies that are as horrifying as the Greens. I can't see a reason to vote Green over Lib Dems unless your argument is "but my tuition fees".
    Didn't say you should. There's never any point debating party allegiances because everyone votes for who they think is best. Nobody votes for what they don't want. I was nonplussed that a lib dem would consider the Greens worse than Tories.

    On point of which, picking minimum wage for a criticism is a bad idea, since the Tories actually nicked that policy. The unemployment theory has been trotted out since time immemorial to argue against minimum wage introduction or increase any time it has been considered anywhere in the world. And it ignores two things:

    On a theoretical level, more wages equals more demand equals positive effect on employment; And

    On a practical level, a minimum wage introduction or increase causing higher unemployment has never actually happened. Inflation maybe, or problems for small business. But those are easily surmounted by phased introduction and a progressive tax system (which are also Green policies).

    Immigration is like swearing. Swearwords aren't inherently offensive, they are just sounds made in a voicebox, they are offensive because people consider them so. Legal immigration isn't an issue because it actually causes the effects it's accused of, it is an issue because people think it does.

    The real immigration problem is illegal immigration and the fact that the current system isn't enforced. I work in local government, for a unitary authority that has to pay social services support to migrants with kids who don't qualify for JSA, housing benefit etc. Our biggest problem in the last few years with this is that Home Office enforcement of the rules is non-existent. They take 6-9 months to assess an application from someone who is illegally in the country, And when they eventually reject it they do fuck all to actually deport them. So they just apply again (which home office accepts even though they aren't supposed to be allowed to) and so it goes for years with them gaming the system. You want to crack down on that? Fine, I'm all in favour. It's gotten horrendous since 2010. And who was Home Sec for most of that time? Ah yes, Theresa May. It astounds me that people think she is competent, especially on immigration. She really isn't. Illegal immigrants shouldn't be in the country 5 years to begin with, but they are because of things like that.

    Also worth pointing out we actually are allowed to control EU immigration to an extent under EU law, but successive governments both red and blue have chosen not to.

    Living in fantasy land is believing that ruthlessly slashing government expenditure will make the country more prosperous and fair when every single shred of available evidence says the opposite (and so it has proven - inequality up, real wages still below 2008 levels). Living in fantasy land is talking about government finance like it is a household account when in reality it works absolutely nothing like that.

  15. #15
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,663
    Rep Power
    211860

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    The increase of NMW that the Greens want to do has never been done before, not to that scale. NMW increases are steady and gradual in tune with inflation. The Greens insisting on a 33% increase on NMW (from £7.55 to £10) is a huge jump that has never been done before. It will make thousands redundant, put businesses out of business, young workers would be neglected because they will just go for more experienced workers. When the increase in NMW is gradual, there hasn't been a problem - but you can't say it's never been a problem to raise NMW because it hasn't been risen by 33% in 3 years before. Minimum wage needs to increase steadily.

    There's nothing wrong with immigration, but it is naive to think that people will just accept it. World politics has given a big middle finger to globalism in the last 12 months, and there's a growing sense of national pride in the UK and US. You can't really ignore that and you can't ignore the will of the people. So any party that encourages more open immigration really needs to rethink themselves.

    I'm not happy with the Tories and wouldn't vote for them myself, but they're a far more attractive option to me in 2017, with the way the world is and the fact that we are going to go through Brexit, than the Green Party. Like I said, I am genuinely terrified of the prospect of the Green party because they have deluded and unrealistic policies which won't work in the world we live in.

    EDIT: The best government in my lifetime was the Coalition of Lib Dems and Conservatives. Steady progress, and they worked together to make some tough decisions and pulled us out of a hole. The Tories have us back in the hole when left to their own devices. I want to see the Lib Dems in a position where they can make an impact. They'll never have an outright majority, and the Conservatives wont need a coalition to win this election, but the LD could make enough of an impact to be a real player again in 2022.

  16. #16
    Mid-Card Champion
    Baldrick's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    791
    Rep Power
    17608
      Country                    Wales

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    In an ideal world we'd have a Labour/Lib co-alition as both have the peoples interests at heart. However when that was on the table last time, the Libs went with the devil and got burned so it'll take a lot of bridge building to get to that again.
    I have a plan so cunning......

  17. #17
    Your Least Favorite Mod

    Evil Jon's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    11,368
    Rep Power
    246063
      Country                    Canada

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Green Party sounds like something Id vote for in Canada. This thread is pretty educational. Kudos to you two.

  18. #18
    WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB
    Tiny RaiZ's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,211
    Rep Power
    79235

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    May is absolutely right to do this now because it guarantees an extra 2 years in government until 2022, removes the stigma of her being "unelected" (dumb argument), and it's an easy win.
    It's savvy as fuck and I can't fault her for that, even if I do believe that the Torries are all massive cunts. I've literally never met a Tory who didn't manage to make me want to punch them; as a passivist that's impressive to me. They're the strongest they've been since I've been able to vote and every other party is in some kind of shambles. I see no other result than a Conservative win and I can only hope that, only a local level, people with actual souls can effect some sort of push back.

  19. #19
    When the black man talkin
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,663
    Rep Power
    211860

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    In an ideal world we'd have a Labour/Lib co-alition as both have the peoples interests at heart. However when that was on the table last time, the Libs went with the devil and got burned so it'll take a lot of bridge building to get to that again.
    Farron has said that he won't go into a coalition with Labour. Or at least a Corbyn led Labour.


    Just more reason to love Tim <3

  20. #20
    Mid-Card Champion
    Baldrick's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    791
    Rep Power
    17608
      Country                    Wales

    Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Farron has said that he won't go into a coalition with Labour. Or at least a Corbyn led Labour.


    Just more reason to love Tim <3
    I'd be surprised if Corbyn see's past this election in fairness. My concern is by 2022 my eldest will be getting ready to leave the educational system, so I need the Tories out by then or she'll be screwed.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •