Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Wrestler Of The Year Ongoing Discussion

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

2017 Wrestler Of The Year Ongoing Discussion

Like Ed said, we're going to slowly roll these out and I kind of want this out already too. I know it's really too early with this being April and all but we've already got some wrestlers that are making a case for this. Are you me and think it's Pete Dunne? Are you Ed and think it's WALTER? Will AJ Styles capture the title again?

Who is looking to be the Wrestler of the Year so far in 2017?
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Re: 2017 Wrestler Of The Year Ongoing Discussion

So far i'll have to say Kazuchika Okada based on the consistent great matches, like Omega, Suzuki and shibata but I think Aj Styles is close behind.
    RAINMAKER!!!

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

So far, and Im behind quite a bit of March and April, Zack Sabre Jr. would be it so far for me. Hes had a lot of my favorite matches this year. Havent gotten around to his NJPW stuff tho.

~Phenomenal~

Status
      Country                    England

Here's who is coming to mind at the moment:

WALTER - He's leading the way for me at #1, he's consistently hitting those great matches in singles or tag teams with Ringkampf for wXw and PROGRESS. I could see this guy picking up a few US dates as the year continues, maybe even BOLA because he's gonna be in such high demand.

Pete Dunne - Yep, can't disagree too much with Nicky's shout. Pete was the MVP of the UK Tournament, and has been doing the greatest heel work I've seen anywhere so far in 2017. He is downright hated in PROGRESS for his title run that is delivering something special every single defence. The Jimmy Havoc death match showed there's more versatility to his game than people give him credit for. He's having an outstanding year.

Hiromu Takahashi - The guy is a star and has really given an injection of excitement to the New Japan Jr Division. The two Kushida matches have been very good for different reasons, and the Dragon Lee and Taguchi defences have been great. With a BOSJ on the horizon, this guy isn't going to be slowing down talk of him as a WOTY contender.

Neville - He's totally transformed with his heel turn and placing as the ace of 205 live, it's a bold take, but he's pretty much salvaged that show and made it watchable. The Gallagher and Aries title matches have been very good and I predict he'll continue to be the highlight of Raw pay-per-views as well as one of the hardest working TV wrestlers of the year for WWE.

Mark Andrews - Pete's getting the plaudits for best British wrestler, but Mark Andrews is right up there with him. Couple of great matches with Dunne in the UK tournament and NXT, as well as delivering every time for Progress with the likes of his matches against Will Ospreay and Shane Strickland. Hasn't had a bad match all year.

David Starr - Fantastic every time I see him and probably my favourite US independent wrestler now that Chris Hero has signed with NXT. His shotgun champion run in wXw was great, in particular his series of matches with Matt Riddle (who I'm probably short-changing a nom for here).

Then you've got your usual suspects in New Japan like Okada, Ishii and Shibata that have been bringing the goods, but have some skeletons in the closest that make me hold fire on putting them in that top tier (Okada's Omega performance, Ishii tagging with Yano so much, Shibata's Rev Pro matches). AJ Styles is gonna be there or there abouts again with 8 more months of Smackdown Live to come and the influx of talent that show has had. Matt Riddle too is gonna be a strong contender when it's all said and done because he's going to get so many opportunities for a multitude of promotions this year.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

All good shouts by Ed. Agree with all of them and Sabre Jr. The recent heel turns have really brought a lot back out in Zack and he looks really in form.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status

Sekimoto would likely be my #1 if not Walter. His tag title win on 1/2, & both Hideki matches were great great and vs Uto was quite good.

ZSJ has not fit in NJPW well, through no fault of his own and he also had that very lackluster match vs Elgin on WM weekend. The positives outweigh the negatives by a wide margin but I have him a shade out of the elite tier.

Neville & Dunne, Takahashi too are all up there.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Sekimoto would likely be my #1 if not Walter. His tag title win on 1/2, & both Hideki matches were great great and vs Uto was quite good.

ZSJ has not fit in NJPW well, through no fault of his own and he also had that very lackluster match vs Elgin on WM weekend. The positives outweigh the negatives by a wide margin but I have him a shade out of the elite tier.

Neville & Dunne, Takahashi too are all up there.
    Zack Sabre Jr just needs time for the crowd to get used to his style and his move set but I do think he either needs to bulk up a bit or go in the junior heavyweight division. The problem is that he is a heel and he is just fodder for Goto in his feud with Suzuki. He should have joined Chaos or just be on his own. When he gets his own story in the upcomoming months we will see him thrive in new Japan
    RAINMAKER!!!

SOS Brigade Member

Status

Don't watch much NJPW so I'll go with Ed's suggestion of Neville. Dude's easily the best cruiserweight champion and the best thing to happen to the division. Also some pretty amazing matches there.

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Grim Reviews Random Games / AWA: Eye Of The Storm

When the black man talkin

Status

Braun.

Nobody in wrestling catches my attention more, he's entertaining in every segment he's in and has had some cracking matches to boot. He's everything you could want in a wrestler and plays his role perfectly.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Braun.

Nobody in wrestling catches my attention more, he's entertaining in every segment he's in and has had some cracking matches to boot. He's everything you could want in a wrestler and plays his role perfectly.
    This. Wish he was on the indy scene. He'd kill it.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

It is Kazuchika Okada for me right now and nobody else I watch is going to come close for a good while.

Guy's on fire. Producing the goods as a character as well as in the ring. I think he's the complete package right now and he's getting better. Just totally invested in his story and how he evolves.

Can't even think of a close second right now.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 04-18-2017 at 03:14 PM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

The EST of WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Braun.

Weird fact i noticed a few months ago while looking through this subsection.

In 2015 we voted Braun Strowman as the Worst wrestler of the year
    In 2016 we voted him as the most improved wrestler of the year
    Now in 2017 if he continues we could be talking about him as one of the best wrestlers of the year.

Incredible stuff really.

As for the thread my top 3 right now have to be Okada, Hiromu & AJ Styles (He got a great match out of Shane fucking McMahon). I can see both Naito & Omega being in discussion for this by the end of the year if both get some decent singles matches under their belt too.

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

These threads are getting increasingly hard to follow as an exclusively-WWE follower

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    These threads are getting increasingly hard to follow as an exclusively-WWE follower
    Reverse Jon

Actually kind of wonder how you'd feel about TICKING TIME BOMB
    -------
    -------

Status

Hiromu yet to take off for me.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Reverse Jon
    I live my life by one creed. Whatever Jon's doing, do the opposite.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    Okada for me these days

But I haven't watched the main event from Sakura Genesis yet and I like him toward the end of the Omega match and thought he was fine against Ibushi.
    -------
    -------

~Phenomenal~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    Give japs a chance man.

Braun is certainly one of the most entertaining guys in WWE, especially if you're someone that willingly watches Raw. I can't see how I'd ever put him above an AJ Styles for a best wrestler award if I was a WWE exclusive voter though.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I live my life by one creed. Whatever Jon's doing, do the opposite.
    Thats a darn lie and you know it.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Okada for me these days

But I haven't watched the main event from Sakura Genesis yet and I like him toward the end of the Omega match and thought he was fine against Ibushi.
    His match with KUSHIDA did nothing for me at WK and I guess I'm not as invested in him as I should be. He has made the Junior scene feel a little fresh though and kind of saved us from Suzuki-gun shit. But yeah, his story/personality just not grabbing me at the minute. His second win over KUSHIDA this year probably got me salty too. BOSJ likely going to make me a big fan, I imagine. I did enjoy his matches with Taguchi and Lee too.

I think Okada's playing his role perfectly right now and everyone who goes into a match with him seems to be coming out looking even better than they went in - despite losing. Currently the most interesting/intriguing story right now, to me, is who is going to beat Okada? They're playing into it well and making everything centred around the main title really interesting right now. I think everyone in the upper tier for NJPW could produce some top tier stuff this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Give japs a chance man.
    japs can't wrestle. everyone knows that, weeb.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information