Thread: 2017 Wrestler Of The Year Ongoing Discussion

Cheese!

Status

Re: 2017 Wrestler Of The Year Ongoing Discussion

BRAAAAAUUN!, Neville and AJ Styles.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.
      Country                    United States

Pete Dunne's running away with this right now for me. Great match last night and I feel like Tyler's creeping in as a dark horse for this as well
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

For A Better WC

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    Pete Dunne's running away with this right now for me. Great match last night and I feel like Tyler's creeping in as a dark horse for this as well
    A month later and I feel like Tyler has just as much claim to wrestler of the year as Pete does, if not a stronger case. They both have the matches with each other as well as nice matches with Mark Andrews, then both of them have their Progress stuff and Tyler's SSS16 puts him on par with Pete's title defences for me.

I don't think anyone's running away with this yet this year. On top of Pete and Tyler, I feel like Kushida and Hiromu Takahashi are matching them stride for stride in New Japan with their work in the Jr's division and overseas matches, and then there's big WALTER in and around them who still has an impressive resume of matches this year, so there's a 5 way split in my mind right now. In a year where no-one on the WWE main roster feels like they're having an excellent year besides arguably Neville, the award really could go to a non-WWE guy.

The elephant in the room is Omega and Okada. While I'm a big critic of their matches with each other, I can't call them bad matches, they have gotten people talking like no other series of matches have this year and they're doing great business for the company. In fact I loved Omega's performance in the WK match so that's another tick to his name. Beyond those matches, they've had excellent matches with other wrestlers (Okada against Tiger Mask W and Katsuyori Shibata, Omega w/ Ishii twice) and this is before the G1 so if one, or both of them have a great tournament, I can overlook my problems with WK and the time limit draw and call them potential WOTYC.

Jobber

Status
      Country                    Canada

The improvement that Braun has made is incredible and so far, he's the person I'd vote for. Yes, AJ Styles is an incredible wrestler but look at the impact that Braun makes after being a terrible wrestler.
    Last edited by mK Reign; 06-17-2017 at 01:49 PM.

The Cult of Mayu Iwatani

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by mK Reign View Post
    The improvement that Braun has made is incredible and so far, he's the person I'd vote for. Yes, AJ Styles is an incredible wrestler but look at the impact that Braun makes after being a terrible wrestler.
    Braun would be a candidate for most improved but not for the actual wrestler award. My original vote was okada but im swaying towards omega but im staying with okada until the G1

Scumbag Role Model

Status

1. Pete Dunne - I've been raving about Dunne since the start of the year, and he's been nothing but consistent since. Excels in everything he does. He's aced every WWE appearance and his PROGRESS defenses have been good at the worst! The total package right now. I honestly can't say there's a performer better than him right now or a more valuable champion. Spare me your Okada arguments.

2. Tyler Bate - almost as stellar as Dunne this year. Has a hand in some of the best tag team matches on the year, and he's got three of my favorite matches this year in singles (the two with Dunne and the SSS16 final with Travis Banks)

3. WALTER - Has a MOTYC to his name along side a lot of really really stellar performances solo and tag performances. Best big man wrestler in the world. His BOLA and Progress Atlas reign could solidify a nomination by the end of the year, maybe the award.

This award is too stacked. Too many terrific performers this year. Riddle, Takahashi, Ishii, Neville, ZSJ, etc all could have easily been in the three spot and all could find their way there by the end.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Cheese!

Status

At least so far this feels like an award that has to go to someone outside of WWE. No one is having a particularly stand out year. WWE's standouts of 2016 are just treading water (Styles, Miz) or gone (Jericho).

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

The Dude Abides

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    These threads are getting increasingly hard to follow as an exclusively-WWE follower
    Ohhh you have got to check some NJPW and Lucha Underground. You are seriously missing out on the best wrestling you've never seen. Really, you just don't know what you're missing.

Sooooooo, this is difficult. I mean for the sheer pace and how physical their matches are it's kind of hard not to be considering Kenny Omega or Okada, it really is.

As far as WWE goes I think everyone is feeling similar vibes and correctly so, it seems to be pretty organic here. Braun and A.J. really have been stand outs at the main event level.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

For A Better WC

Status

Alright so as the year as progressed, Dunne and Bate are holding strong (with Bate being my preference given he's in my tag team of the year too), Takahashi and Kushida are drifting away, and Okada, ZSJ and Ishii have all turned into players for this award after their G1 boosted their resume. Ishii has had so many great matches this year when you add on his 3 NJ Cup matches that have probably been forgotten about. Omega's hopes are dead to me, half his G1 I hated.

WALTER was drifting way out because wXw wasn't producing anything, but with the Progress Atlas stuff, the Evolve weekends and BOLA on the horizon he could still be in the running.

Neville's been Neville. I think I might be ruling him out now because there's just no MOTYC to his name to put up a decent challenge.

Two names who also deserves a mention are Matt Riddle and Travis Banks, they have been delivering the goods as anyone on the indies this year.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Banks needs a couple more big matches but he's been a great consistent hand this year and one of my new favorites. Love the Kiwi Buzzsaw.

I hated most of Omega's G1. I liked half of Okada's. Ishii and ZSJ definitely raised their stocks after the G1.

Dunne and Bate are still the top guys to me and I'm excited about WALTER's recent weekend. Dijak, Riddle, Yehi, and a tasty four-way. There's got to be some great in there somewhere.
    -------
    -------

For A Better WC

Status

This past weekend has practically locked #1 spot up for WALTER in my rankings; including Inner Circle he had five matches that I would all rate at very good at a minimum with the Rottweilers and Massive Product matches both being high end matches that had a different feel to each other. I'll talk about it more in the wXw thread, but I would strongly recommend any fan of indie wrestling to buy a months subscription to wXwNOW (or highspots) and get these 3 tag team league shows watched.

Also had a really good match with Bobby Guns on the Fight Forever show that came out last week. Nothing on the level of WTTL weekend, but another feather in his cap that he's great working with the less experienced guys on their roster and leading them through entertaining matches.

I think he has an unmatched output of very good-great matches, he excels at both singles and tag work and he's had a breakout year in terms of career opportunities. It's been a banner year for some WWE tag teams, yet WALTER has probably been involved in more great tag team matches than The Usos and The Bar have had, and that's with two different Ringkampf partners! I think the thing that separates him from everyone else to me is that I haven't seen a match of his yet that I feel wasn't good on some level, whereas all the other names mentioned in this thread have their off days or matches that I downright hated. In that regard, only Oney Lorcan can compare to him as someone who is 'on' all of the time, but Oney has less than 10 televised matches this year and they're kept pretty short so it's an unfair comparison.
    Last edited by Ed; 10-12-2017 at 06:23 AM.

Thread Information