Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Match Of The Year Ongoing Discussion

~Phenomenal~

Status
      Country                    England

2017 Match Of The Year Ongoing Discussion

I think Nicky and I are going to start slowly rolling out these tracking threads for the 2017 awards now we're almost a third of the way through the year. Thought I'd start with one of the biggest awards, the match of the year.

What do you guys have as your MOTYC at the moment?

~Phenomenal~

Status

Re: 2017 Match Of The Year Ongoing Discussion

At the moment I've got 8 matches that I think are at MOTYC level, I'll share them with you but I'll put them in chronological order only because the #1 spot changes a lot in my mind:

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Tetsuya Naito - Wrestle Kingdom ~ My favourite match from the biggest show of the year in New Japan where the final four matches should all be viewed by any fan of Japanese wrestling. If I enjoy a Naito match, it must be good.

Tyler Bate Vs Pete Dunne - UK Tournament Finals ~ Terrific ending to the mixed bag of WWE's UK Championship Tournament where not just one, but two new stars were created in finalists Bate and Dunne. Of course this has a more personal connection to me as it's a wrestling embodiment of the Birmingham Vs Black Country rivalry where Dudley came out on top.

Chris Hero Vs Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 77 ~ Remember that Chris Hero guy that ruled the indys for the past couple of years and was having multiple great matches a month? Wonder what happened to him. Anyway, this is Hero's final match on the indy circuit before returning to NXT and it's the night his WWN cannon story with Zack Sabre Jr ends as Zack finally gets the win over big bully Hero in a great match. Best use of the Pedigree kickout on the indies spot I've seen used yet too.

Iija Dragunov Vs WALTER - wXw 16 Carat Finals ~ The tournament was hit and miss other than the consistently awesome WALTER who is a legit best in the world contender right now. This match really through me a curve ball as I never really rated Dragunov that highly and thought he was the wrong choice of winner of the 16 carat, but he pulled in a great, sympathetic performance as he survived WALTER's punishment and a bloodied chest to come out on top. The knife edged chop battles here are Kobashi/Sasaki levels of drama and brutality.

Kenny Omega Vs Tomohiro Ishii - NJ Cup First Round ~ It's hard not to give credit to Kenny Omega at the moment with the level of performance he's putting in when he's not surrounded by Matt and Nick Jackson. An amazing first round match with a stunning result of Omega losing a tournament many thought he had a chance of winning to Ishii of all people who never gets the rub he deserves.

Tomohiro Ishii Vs Katsuyori Shibata - NJ Cup Semi-Finals ~ Exactly what you'd expect of these two mofos going all out to win in a classic strong style match. Ishii was the MVP of the tournament, and probably should of won, but you can't really complain when you get action this good.

Authors of Pain Vs The Revival Vs DIY - NXT Takeover Orlando ~ The end of The Revival in NXT and the temporary end of their rivalry with Gargano and Ciampa. Fantastic psychology where Revival and DIY put their differences to one side to team up multiple times to try and slay the two beasts that hold the tag titles, especially the double team finishers with different partners. The match loses a little bit of steam and unpredictability when DIY are eliminated and the crowd showed their displeasure at the inevitable; I think maybe this match would of come off even better if it was just a straight triple threat match and one pinfall ended it.

Kazuchika Okada Vs Katsuyori Shibata - NJPW Sakura Genesis ~ Hopefully not the final match of Shibata's career, but as it stands it's his greatest ever professional wrestling match of his career. The match goes almost 40 minutes which is unheard of in Shibata's matches, but it never feels anywhere near that long and works in the story of Okada struggling to hold onto the title with increasingly difficult title defences.

---

Damn, despite my criticisms of New Japan, they're bringing in the MOTYCs so far. Stuff like Omega/Okada, Tiger Mask W/Okada and Naito/Elgin is probably high on others lists. Nothing yet from WWE Main Roster.

Rusev Day Smod

Status

I'll agree with the two WWE selections you've got in there and also add AJ Styles vs. John Cena from the Royal Rumble which I absolutely loved as well.

Think the NXT TakeOver triple threat tag team match is leading the way for me currently though.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

I dont think Ive got an outright MOTY right now. Just plenty of matches I really enjoyed (4* +) but nothing that Ive seen where I feel like its the best shit all year without a doubt. ZSJ vs. Scurll was honestly the closest until that stupid ending. I suppose Sugiura vs. Nak, Naito vs. Tanahashi, Thatcher's last two title defenses and ZSJ vs. Hero would all be up there. I dont think I liked them as much as Scurll vs. ZSJ but they dont have the shitty ending and arent hampered by illogic and bad booking.

I guess Id say ZSJ vs. Hero is at the forefront for me rn.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

My top 5 in order:

5: DiY vs Revival vs Authors of Pain

4: Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

3: Katsuyori Shibata vs Kazuchika Okada

2: Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki

1: Triple H vs Seth rolli.......JUST KIDIDNG Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega

Tetsuya Naito vs Michael Elgin almost made it but the last 5 minutes changed my mind and made me dislike the Cena vs Styles match, WAY TOO many kick outs. I realise that my first choice had some too but that match was amazing all match not just parts.
    RAINMAKER!!!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

From what i've seen worth checking out so far this year:

NJPW
    Naito v Tanahashi - Wrestle Kingdom 11
    Okada v Omega - Wrestle Kingdom 11
    Hiromu Takahasi v Kushida - Wrestle Kingdom 11
    Goto v Shibata - Wrestle Kingdom 11
    Hiromu Takahasi v Dragon Lee - Road to New Beginning: Osaka
    Omega v Ishii - NJ Cup 2017
    Shibata v Okada - Sakura Genesis 2017

Naito v Elgin is worth a watch too although i'm not as high on it as others. Same with Suzuki/Okada (even though the match went about 15 mins too long). Yet to see Ishii v Shibata. hoping it meets the hype

WWE
    AJ Styles v John Cena
    AOP v The Revival v DIY

And while i wouldn't class it in MOTY contendership i'll throw some love to AJ/Shane for exceeding all expectations.

Kinda terrible that for the 2nd ( maybe 3rd? depending on your stance on Reigns/Lesnar/Rollins) year in a Wrestlemania doesn't have MOTYC in contention for this.
    Last edited by CGS; 04-18-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Status

Matches that come to mind:

Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega - Wrestle Kingdom 11
    Kazuchika Okada vs Katsuyori Shibata - Sakura Genesis 2017
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito - Wrestle Kingdom 11
    Michael Elgin vs Tetsuya Naito - New Beginning
    Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii - New Japan Cup

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

People on twitter are always giving Meltzer stick because he gives more 5* matches to Japanese wrestling and not WWE but you really see why when you ask what is match of the year and most of the candidates are often matches from New Japan.
    RAINMAKER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carrick 16 View Post
    People on twitter are always giving Meltzer stick because he gives more 5* matches to Japanese wrestling and not WWE but you really see why when you ask what is match of the year and most of the candidates are often matches from New Japan.
    I find it really odd for people to be bitching about Meltzer's love of Puro compared to the WWE when this isn't a new thing. Look at how many times he rated a Misawa match in the 90's 5 stars. It's an unique time period. Say what you will about Meltzer, but he's really loving certain things in wrestling these days.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Either Lesnar/Goldberg at Wrestlemania or Styles/Cena at the Rumble was the match of year from what I've seen (only WWE Main Roster Matches).

The EST of WC

Status

Lesnar/Goldberg was much better than it had any right to be but dunno if it's worthy of a MOTY count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

Shibata/Okada
    Hideki/Sekimoto I
    WALTER/Ilja
    ZSJ/Thatcher
    Omega/Ishii
    Kotoge/Marufuji vs Go/Maybach
    Naito/Tana
    ZSJ/Hero
    Sekimoto/Okabayashi vs Ishikawa/Sato
    Bate/Dunne

My active top 10 right now.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

1. Ilja vs. WALTER
    2. Hero vs. Sabre Jr.
    3. Kotoge/Marufuji vs. Go/Maybach
    4. Tanahashi vs. Naito
    5. Lee vs. Miyahara
    6. Scurll vs. Sabre Jr.

Scurll/ZSJ would be #1 easy without shenanigans for me

Worth noting I havent watched tons this year

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Shibata/Okada
    Especially now it could've been potentially Shibata last match ever. What a match to go out on though
    RAINMAKER!!!

Status

Okada vs Omega II now gotta be considered.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

~Phenomenal~

Status

I'm sure it'll be on many people's list, but wouldn't even make my top 100 on that first viewing.

Over-indulgent, went too early on the closing stretch, Okada's knee injury played into nothing, too much 'I'm exhausted, I'm done' and then popping back to their feet, was brutally obvious with 15 minutes to go they were doing a broadway and then they mess up the ending. Why is Okada the one on top chasing the victory at the end of the match? If the time runs out, he retains the belt, and if he gets the pin, he retains the belt - wtf? that should of been Omega hitting the One Winged Angel clean and then struggling to get the pin in the final seconds.

For as much as I criticized the first match, the first match was better in my view and had a more satisfying closing stretch. Enjoyed Kushida/Hiromu and Tanahashi/Naito more.
    Last edited by Ed; 06-11-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

It's like they took the first match, made the first half even more exhausting and the second half illogically bonkers.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Status

Rewatched Okada vs Shibata this morning. Got it ahead of the Okada/Omega matches right now.

Probably will change once I rewatch Okada/Omega I and II though. Shit's tough. All of them are just absolute wars.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

~Phenomenal~

Status

It's a surefire MOTYC and probably my favourite match from Japan this year. If it proves to be Shibata's final ever match, it's arguably the greatest ever match someone's retired on (HBK's being the other that springs to mind).

Did it feel weird watching the headbutt spot?

Status

It certainly is one of the best matches I can think of that's a 'retirement' so to speak. A real shame and I think it will be Shibata's last given the absolute state he is in right now.

I mean, it felt weird knowing that was the spot that likely ended his career as I watched... but I still enjoyed the fuck out of it. It was badass as fuck. The shot with the blood coming down his face is immense. I'm not really fazed by brain damage spots given that I watch MMA where people give each other brain damage for a living/my entertainment. It was sick.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information