Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football Virgin

Sully's Boner

Status
      Country                    Australia

Football Virgin

So, growing up in Australia i've known nothing more than Aussie Rules and Cricket. The problem is that cricket bores me to all hell and my AFL team has always been a joke. We constantly lose and only watching their matches has really made lose interest in AFL.

now, I've been playing Fifa recently and it turns out I really like soccer (which i'll call football so I don't get yelled at). That's all well and good except I know nothing about football. Not a single thing, just a basic knowledge of the rules and facts about 3 seasons ago thanks to Fifa 15.

My question to you is how does a guy who has no knowledge of football and has only watched 1 football match in his entire life (that he knows of) really get into football. Now the common answer would be "Just watch some games". I don't know what team to support, I have no idea who any player is at all and I really just don't know anything about the sport. I don't know, I just want to try and get into football, it seems so fun and interesting and I feel left out when I'm only discussing wrestling on here, I want to post in other sections but I don't really know a lot about anything else.

So yeah
    I hope some of you will help me
    and this is the first time I've made a thread so if I've done something wrong please just yell at me :P
    Last edited by Johnny Gargabones; 04-05-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    The Bee's Knees, The Cat's Pajamas and The Whole Shebang (-_•)

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Football Virgin

The answer honestly is just to watch stuff and then after you have come into the section and see what is being said.

As for deciding who to support that's a difficult one. If you want to follow a top team who compete for trophies then any of the big six work.

But again I would advise watching a range of teams and then picking the one you like the most.

Definitely get involved in the section and you'll learn fast.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Sully's Boner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    The answer honestly is just to watch stuff and then after you have come into the section and see what is being said.

As for deciding who to support that's a difficult one. If you want to follow a top team who compete for trophies then any of the big six work.

But again I would advise watching a range of teams and then picking the one you like the most.

Definitely get involved in the section and you'll learn fast.
    Thanks for the quick reply
    I have a Foxtel (which is like cable I think) channel that plays Premier League 24/7 so I'll just go and watch some stuff now I guess
    thanks Order :P

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Tom Rogic is the best Australian player in the world rn and he plays for Celtic so I think that means you should support us.

In seriousness, youtube is the way to go. More recent the better.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Sully's Boner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    Tom Rogic is the best Australian player in the world rn and he plays for Celtic so I think that means you should support us.

In seriousness, youtube is the way to go. More recent the better.
    I've never heard of Tom Rogic, what a national hero he is...
    saying that I only know of Schwarzer, Cahill and Kewell as they're constantly in advertisements (Only really Cahill now)

I'll check out some Youtube now stuff then
    On TV there's just a bunch of interviews and random bs but I've recorded Arsenal vs West Ham which is on at like 2 AM where I live (I'm pretty sure that means it's live)
    Last edited by Johnny Gargabones; 04-05-2017 at 08:59 AM.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

My path to getting into football (as a Canadian) was getting into FM. First team I got into was Chelsea because they had Torres and I fell in love with their many young Belgian players. Eventually I started noticing a lot of up and coming stars had come out of Southampton and being that my favorite thing in sports is developing stars, I turned to them and they became my favorite club. Fortunately they still do a good job of building up new players and finding gems.

Another incentive to keeping up might be to join the fantasy leagues here. You'll know nothing but if you do enough googling of fantasy suggestions, you'll learn a lot and wanting to see your team win will probably push you to keeping up more. Naturally, you'll eventually side with certain players and clubs.

Oh and youtube. I was fortunate in that I had plenty of friends IRL who played football and plenty of people on here talking about FM and being into it so it wasn't a hard transition.

Sully's Boner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Positive Jon View Post
    My path to getting into football (as a Canadian) was getting into FM. First team I got into was Chelsea because they had Torres and I fell in love with their many young Belgian players. Eventually I started noticing a lot of up and coming stars had come out of Southampton and being that my favorite thing in sports is developing stars, I turned to them and they became my favorite club. Fortunately they still do a good job of building up new players and finding gems.

Another incentive to keeping up might be to join the fantasy leagues here. You'll know nothing but if you do enough googling of fantasy suggestions, you'll learn a lot and wanting to see your team win will probably push you to keeping up more. Naturally, you'll eventually side with certain players and clubs.

Oh and youtube. I was fortunate in that I had plenty of friends IRL who played football and plenty of people on here talking about FM and being into it so it wasn't a hard transition.
    Cheers Jon
    one question I have is that the season has already begun so I wouldn't be able to play fantasy would I?

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

There's a football league in Australia too you know, so more local stuff may grab your attention more easily than figuring out what the hell is going on in the big leagues around the world haha.

If history is your things, there's plenty of clubs that have a rich history in things like trophy winning, bringing through youth players etc.
    I have a plan so cunning......

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    Cheers Jon
    one question I have is that the season has already begun so I wouldn't be able to play fantasy would I?
    Definitely not till next year. But at least that gives you time to get acclimated.

Sully's Boner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Positive Jon View Post
    Definitely not till next year. But at least that gives you time to get acclimated.
    Yeah I thought so

Watching EPL is a lot more difficult in Australia than I thought
    Foxtel only does Arsenal TV, Chelsea TV, ETC but there's a station called SBS who televise 1 live match a week which is what I've recorded.

Also
    Am I allowed to post links on here without getting a mouthful?

Say My Name

Status

Why do you need to post links?

Do you mean to YouTube?
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Sully's Boner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    There's a football league in Australia too you know, so more local stuff may grab your attention more easily than figuring out what the hell is going on in the big leagues around the world haha.

If history is your things, there's plenty of clubs that have a rich history in things like trophy winning, bringing through youth players etc.
    I was considering A-League as it would be a lot more accessible to me than epl or anything else really, however I really want to get into discussing things on here and alas A-League isn't the answer for me
    but man thanks for replying
    seriously I thought I was just gonna get ignored :P

Sully's Boner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Why do you need to post links?

Do you mean to YouTube?
    I have an article up about how difficult it is for Aussies to watch EPL, I don't really need the link as I hadn't read it yet but now I have I can just give a summary of it

Optus (a phone and Internet provider) outbidded Foxtel to televise all the epl games, which pissed a lot of people off. The thing about Optus showing EPL is that you need to have a subscription (either phone or isp) to Optus and you instantly get access to all epl, but there's no you pay some cash and then you can watch it like the network. They want me to change my phone provider or internet to watch soccer...
    Last edited by Johnny Gargabones; 04-05-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Status

Well, its not hard to find streams of matches. But like you said, the sucky part is that the time that the matches are live are gonna be not so easy to watch live. If you wanna download, there are some sites that upload matches within hours of them finishing.

One of the beautiful things about football is that is truly global. So there is nothing wrong with following multiple leagues and having multiple favorite clubs... though it gets weird if you "really" multiple clubs in the same league.

My best advice is to take some time before picking a club. If you watch a bit, you'll find certain things that appeal to you about different clubs. It could be their name, logo, kits, the way they play.... There aren't too many "wrong" reasons for a club to give you that connection at first. But be aware that a lot of stuff can change. Players leave, managers get fired, and playing style changes. when those things happen, if you already love the club, it won't matter. But if your love of the club isn't there yet.... it can create a bit of a conundrum.

World Champion

Status

Don't follow Sunderland, ever

Cider 'I' Up

Status

Do you have any local senior football clubs where you live? might be worth going down and watching them play etc, nothing wrong with watching football at any level, that will give you far more understanding of the sport etc, finding a football team to support just happens I suppose but yeah get to watch a bunch of matches or even some extended highlights, pick a team you like to see do well and win, no way can somone just tell you to follow/support a team it's got to be personel to you.

With the time diffrence for the EPL etc, now you know how us brits feel about watching WWE live.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Cyber bullying just made me 12 bucks. Sweet.

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Play Fantrax

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I live in Australia. Just watch as much football as you can, and find a team that resembles who you like in other sports. I support Man United, they are just like Souths (who I follow in NRL).

Sully's Boner

Status

Thank you everybody for the replys :P

Sully's Boner

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mikk View Post
    Don't follow Sunderland, ever
    why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information