Thread: Adam Sandler to Release Four More Movies on Netflix

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Adam Sandler to Release Four More Movies on Netflix

Adam Sandler, the A-list movie star who cleaned up at the ’90s box office with comedic hits such as “The Waterboy” and “Big Daddy,” is sticking with Netflix.

The streaming network announced on Friday that it will be financing and producing four more features with Sandler, which will be released exclusively in homes.

“Love working with Netflix and collaborating with them,” Sandler said in a statement. “I love how passionate they are about making movies and getting them out there for the whole world to see. They’ve made me feel like family and I can’t thank them enough for their support.”

In 2014, Netflix made a big play when it signed Sandler’s Happy Madison Productions to a four-movie deal. Netflix, which doesn’t disclose viewership figures, has said that Sandler’s first two comedies, “The Ridiculous 6” and “The Do-Over,” have become the most-watched original films to launch on the service. His next movie, “Sandy Wexler,” will debut April 14 on Netflix.

By continuing to release movies on Netflix, with its 93 million subscribers worldwide, Sandler has become the first major movie star to bypass theaters and agree to premiere his latest releases in living rooms. Analysts say such a shift could have tremendous implications for the movie business, which is trying to lure consumers to multiplexes for tentpoles like “Beauty and the Beast” and “Furious 8.”

Although his movies have grossed $3 billion, Sandler’s recent projects have disappointed on the big screen. “Pixels,” set in a video game, was a costly bomb for Sony Pictures in 2015. And in 2014, the dark, independent film “Men, Women & Children” earned less than $1 million.

This year, Netflix is continuing to make an aggressive play to expand its original slate of movies. Its upcoming releases include “War Machine,” starring Brad Pitt; Bong Joon-ho’s “Okja” with Jake Gyllenhaal; and the Sundance darling “Mudbound,” which is expected to be an Oscar contender. These projects will all premiere on Netflix first, with little or no theatrical distribution.
    This is a pretty brilliant move by Sandler. No matter how beyond terrible his movies are, he is the first to do this. Must be making a killing.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Adam Sandler to Release Four More Movies on Netflix

Brave move by Sandler. He's got enough money in the bank to do what the hell he pleases and if Netflix are happy to pay him to do more movies then so be it.
    I have a plan so cunning......

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Adam Sandler extends deal with Netflix for four more movies

Netflix has extended its deal with Adam Sandler (Uncut Gems) and Happy Madison Productions to make four additional movies following the success of Sandler and Jennifer Aniston’s Murder Mystery comedy, Deadline has confirmed.
    Deja vu.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Maybe I'm still in the minority on Sandler but I've really enjoyed his recent films, so I'm happy to hear this.

It had seemed like most people had turned the corner on him (again) and gone from hating him from whatever reason back to loving him.

Fearless University

Status

Double post goodness.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Eh, I can’t blame the guy for taking advantage of studios wanting to throw money at him to make shite with his mates and take the family on holiday. Seems like a cool guy and he’s proven to be a really talented actor when he tries, but it’s difficult to respect him as an artist and performer when he chooses far more often the whacky comedies. And I’m sure someone will tell me my lack of respect isn’t going to hurt Sandler, with how wealthy and popular he is, but it was clear from the Oscar snub that he does care about being validated by critics and film lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Eh, I can’t blame the guy for taking advantage of studios wanting to throw money at him to make shite with his mates and take the family on holiday. Seems like a cool guy and he’s proven to be a really talented actor when he tries, but it’s difficult to respect him as an artist and performer when he chooses far more often the whacky comedies. And I’m sure someone will tell me my lack of respect isn’t going to hurt Sandler, with how wealthy and popular he is, but it was clear from the Oscar snub that he does care about being validated by critics and film lovers.
    I dont think making a lighthearted joke about the snub means he cares about being validated by critics and film lovers (maybe he did something more & I missed it). But if he does, I hope he takes a step back and realizes that the Oscars only represent a very small minority of critics & film lovers - and the plethora of awards & noms he received for Uncut Gems solidifies that.

I used to think less of Adam Sandler but I dont anymore. He does movies for himself & hes proven more than enough times that he can stretch his limbs if he wants to. We've seen so many people strive to just do "great" stuff and ultimately I'm not sure if its worth it. They all get buried by someone. Tarantino, Scorsese, Nolan, what have you. It's probably better for your mental health if you go the Sandler route and just have fun with it and just focus on pleasing your target demo and no one else.

I've got zero intention of checking out his half-baked comedies but I hope he slips in more Uncut Gems in there too.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

To clarify, I came off more dismissive of whacky comedies than intended. I love Happy Gilmore and Waterboy, parts of Billy Madison and always felt Mr Deeds was underrated. I’m more referring to the decline in quality when it comes to his comedies. I don’t think he has to strive to make critically acclaimed serious dramas all the time, but at least not be lazy in the genre he’s sticking mostly to.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Fearless University

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    I've never understood this logic and the disdain people have for Sandler making "wacky" comedies. I dont know if people have forgotten what brought him to the dance, or what but I mean look at the movies that made him into a Star. Waterboy, Little Nicky, Happy Gilmore, etc they're all wacky comedies. Its what he's good at, what people loved him for. Yet now everyone for whatever reason acts like he's above wacky comedies and should be making some artsy, ultimately unfunny comedies that make a statement on the human condition instead. Wacky comedy is what Sandler does, and always has done.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

See post directly above yours.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    I've never understood this logic and the disdain people have for Sandler making "wacky" comedies. I dont know if people have forgotten what brought him to the dance, or what but I mean look at the movies that made him into a Star. Waterboy, Little Nicky, Happy Gilmore, etc they're all wacky comedies. Its what he's good at, what people loved him for. Yet now everyone for whatever reason acts like he's above wacky comedies and should be making some artsy, ultimately unfunny comedies that make a statement on the human condition instead. Wacky comedy is what Sandler does, and always has done.
    Mostly because anything after... 50 First Dates? has been irredeemable dogshit. It's not that he makes wacky comedies, it's that he makes really bad ones.

But considering his work in stuff like Funny People, The Meyerowitz Stories, and Uncut Gems, there really can be no doubting that the guy's got the chops if he wants to use them, so the only thing I'd begrudge him is that I'd like to see that more. But also I can't blame him for taking the easy paycheck, making the dumb movies, and enjoying himself most of the time. He did also warn us he'd make some really bad shit if he got snubbed for Uncut Gems so we're just reaping what we sow now.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

Thread Information