Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJPW Sakura Genesis 2017

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Re: NJPW Sakura Genesis 2017

Okada is reaching into Koabashi terms of title run. If he keeps up these 4* to 6* performances, he may even surpasses Kobahsi. Anyway, what a match the main event was, it was a slow burner with shibata dominating most of the match but okada's selling was key here. Okada was awesome through out the match with a slight hint of heelish tacticts. You could tell shibata was getting frustrated turning from crispy domination, to Suzuki mode inflict pain in unimaginable ways, I like that the commentators mentioned the similarities and differences of shibata and Suzuki. The headbuts were unnecessary but they were nasty and the start of shibata turning more sadistic, so they did there job.

My rating for this match is 5*, online I hear people saying that its 6*, which you could argue but just to calm and not go over the top, ill say its 5* for me. Awesome.

Also, I recently watched this match with a Hardcore mma fan, I mean he hates everything about wrestling and refuses to give the wrestler the credit but I got him to watch it with me and he was marking out to this match, that's how good it was. He said afterwards "I cant believe that this fake s**t, it actually good".

Credit to both Okada and Shibata.
    Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

FUCK FACE

Status
      Country                    England

I watched from the 8 man tag onwards. That was standard LIJ Vs Tanahashi and friends action, but with a great finish of Juice getting the pin on Naito. It's a little weird that Juice is going from failing to win the NEVER title to failing to win the IC title in a span of a few months, but you know what the line is, Gedo is a fantastic booker.

Wasn't in love with the tag titles match, thought it ran a little bit too long and WarMachine's offence got kinda samey, but it was a good match.

I really enjoyed about 80% of the Goto/Sabre Jr match but the baffling decision to include some Suzuki-Gun interference that Goto would overcome anyway killed the flow and momentum of the match and just irritated me to the point where I don't want to call it a good match anymore. Fuck these Suzuki-Gun dopes.

Hiromu/Kushida was amazing. Like I cannot remember being that stunned watching Puro before because a sub-2 minute semi-main event match is just unheard of I was in disbelief. Zero is right, it's great booking regardless of what the circumstances were, because it was a match I don't feel people were ready to see again just yet, and puts over Hiromu hella strong and gives Kushida some food for thought in a humiliating loss. It's a brand new kind of storytelling in the Jr division that I've not seen before.

Main Event was incredible. I think the thing that stood out to me was it was the freshest match I've seen Shibata have in fucking ages because I've been overexposed to his standard matches for a while now, for him to go nearly 40 minutes and still have my attention is pretty damn impressive. Really interesting opening 10 minutes with the feel out process. I can see some people hating on Okada being able to play Shibata at his own ass kicker game and beat him at it too, but idk I really bought into Okada stiffing it up for this one. Everyone after the sitdown slap me bitch challenge was excellent I thought, even the hold the wrist rainmaker stuff that usually bothers me. I fucking loved the headbutt spot and the trickling of blood down Shibata's forehead like the Bobby Fish match. MOTYC no doubt. This is why it was so stupid of Meltzer to give the first New Japan main event of the year 6 stars when the company was always going to be capable of putting on matches just as good if not better so his system is broken now. I'm not gonna rake over old graves, but to those that absolutely loved Okada/Omega, where does Okada/Shibata stack up to you, just as good, just better, just worse? would be interested to know, I defo think the Shibata match was better.
    Last edited by Ed; 04-10-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I think Juice is booked this way because he seems very over with the crowd and they clearly are behind him/want to see more of him. I think they're giving Juice this small push right now to see how well he does plus to build him up. If Naito isn't the IC champ and it's someone else that isn't a guaranteed draw then I don't think Juice gets the match. But with Naito, it seems guaranteed to draw so there's no real danger. Keeps things fresh I suppose. As for losing to Goto and moving up... good things in store for ZSJ I take it. ZSJ vs Okada at Dominion confirmed.

Also I wouldn't take it for granted that Juice is losing to Naito. I mean, I think he is gonna lose and Tanahashi's taking the belt from Naito at Dominion... BUT if he wins, it frees up Naito a little earlier to build him up to facing the IWGP Heavyweight Champ at the G1 Special, either Omega or Okada. Will be funny if Omega takes the belt from Okada and loses to Naito. Okada goes unbeaten in G1 to make a storming comeback and prove he's learned his lesson. Okada vs Naito at WK12.

Get that Kota Ibushi guy in and give him Tiger Mask W. That'd be some match, telling you.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    II fucking loved the headbutt spot and the trickling of blood down Shibata's forehead like the Bobby Fish match.
    Did you fucking love the resultant subdural hematoma that Shibata suffered?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    This is why it was so stupid of Meltzer to give the first New Japan main event of the year 6 stars when the company was always going to be capable of putting on matches just as good if not better so his system is broken now.
    He shouldn't have rated the match so highly because the matches coming after it may have been as good or as better? That argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Going by that logic, why give any match your highest rating when the next match you see could be better? Not to mention the judging of match quality is entirely down to personal preference to begin with. There are bound to be a few people who won't think the matches taking place the rest of the year are as good as Okada vs. Omega. Are you going to tell them that they're wrong and they're rating system is broken as well? Your entire argument is based on the premise that your opinion of Okada vs. Omega is the only correct one and that all others are wrong. I'd like to think you don't someone to tell you how ridiculous that is.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Re: Reply

Quote Originally Posted by EgoFantastico View Post

He shouldn't have rated the match so highly because the matches coming after it may have been as good or as better? That argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Going by that logic, why give any match your highest rating when the next match you see could be better? Not to mention the judging of match quality is entirely down to personal preference to begin with. There are bound to be a few people who won't think the matches taking place the rest of the year are as good as Okada vs. Omega. Are you going to tell them that they're wrong and they're rating system is broken as well? Your entire argument is based on the premise that your opinion of Okada vs. Omega is the only correct one and that all others are wrong. I'd like to think you don't someone to tell you how ridiculous that is.
    The six star rating is ridiculous and for me it was 5*, but it was a 5* match which was a certain quality above the rest of them so what you would suggest it be to tell people that this match is something special.
    Koi Suru Fortune Cookie

FUCK FACE

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Reply

Quote Originally Posted by EgoFantastico View Post
    lol, triggered.

Shibata's a grown man who takes responsibilities for how he uses his body in his matches, he's done that spot before in matches because he knows it'll pop the crowd, and it popped me for sure. He wrestles the way he wrestles and as long as he's fine with that, then so am I. I react in the moment and didn't know Shibata got hurt until after that post, but it doesn't change the fact that in the moment I loved that part of the match. I'm not someone who gets squeamish off wrestling moves or stiff matches, yeah headbutts can be nasty, but Honma got paralyzed off a DDT so every move has it's dangers. Don't understand the need to be a martyr over stuff like that.

My argument is he shouldn't of broken his well established match rating system no matter what match it was for, end of. I wonder how many twitter messages he's had today asking him if Shibata/Okada is gonna get 6 stars because now the previously perfect score of 5 stars doesn't seem high enough praise. He's gonna have to put up with that until he retires now. You're the one that's creating a narrative that I said Dave Meltzer can't rate any match higher than Omega/Okada and my opinion is the only one that matters, why would I ask what other people thought of the two matches if I only care about my opinion, but thanks for sharing with the class what you think is in my own head.

See you at the same time tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ed; 04-10-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

For what it's worth, there is a rumour going around that Shibata's injury is a work. If so, he was great at making the right side of his body look completely numb when he was walking out after the match.

Pure speculation and idk why they'd run this injury as a work other than to get Shibata to drop the headbutts using a viable reason.

Also possible they are covering up a real injury.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 04-11-2017 at 05:57 AM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information