Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ego’s Take on the Best of 2016

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #6

March 2016

March 4th 2016

Kamaitachi © vs. Dragon Lee in a 2 out of 3 Falls match for the CMLL World Lightweight Championship at CMLL’s Super Viernes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQdrfa2671Q

This was slightly longer than their match in Japan, and perhaps because of that, isn’t as good. Highspot-orientated matches are usually better if kept within a certain timeframe. All the usual spots are here, including some counters that are neat, so you’ll see plenty of what you like if you’re all about the spots. It’s not a must-see match but if you like the series between these two, you’ll probably like it a lot more than I did.

***1/2

Kyle O'Reilly vs. Marty Scurll at PWG’s All Star Weekend XII Night One

This was a fine technical wrestling match, with a few flying spots thrown in. It was solid, well worked, and technically a good match. But there was absolutely nothing about the match that grabbed you, that made you feel interested or otherwise invested in seeing who won or lost. It was the Demetrious Johnson of pro wrestling matches.

The Young Bucks © vs. Ricochet and Matt Sydal for the PWG Tag Team Championship at PWG’s All Star Weekend XII Night One

This was one of the Bucks’ better matches, and it was a big improvement on their ROH six-man. It felt like the Bucks had a better grasp of when to do the goofy bullshit and when to take the match seriously, and this is a distinct theme of theirs in PWG. They still do stilly stuff, but not nearly as much as elsewhere. It’s like they know the PWG audience, in most instances, won’t accept things getting too silly. And in this match, they definitely didn’t want a lot of goofiness, so they didn’t get it. And that made the match a lot better than it might otherwise have been.

It was your typical Bucks match, in that it was heavy in the creative highspots, on both sides, with some traditional tag team psychology thrown in. If you like the Bucks’ style, you’ll love this match, but even if you don’t, it’s good enough in other areas that you should still enjoy it.

****1/4

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito in NJPW’s New Japan Cup Second Round

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00379_2_08 (New Japan World)

This was a very good, almost great, physical, New Japan-style match. It wasn’t as physical as some Ishii matches have been, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing because Ishii can take that aspect too far at times. Naito was well into the Los Ingobernables gimmick by now, but that thankfully didn’t play into the match itself because I hate that Americanised bullshit in New Japan. This match is a great example of New Japan if you or someone you know wants to try New Japan out and see what it’s like. It’s very good, gives you an idea of what to expect out of their top matches, but it’s not so good that it creates unrealistic expectations.

***3/4

Our next instalment will feature five matches. There will be two matches from PWG’s All Star Weekend XII Night Two, with Death by Elbow vs. Ricochet and Matt Sydal and Roderick Strong vs Zack Sabre Jr for the PWG World Championship. There will be a rather long match featuring Roy Wilkins and Trevor Lee from the CWF Mid-Atlantic. I’ll be giving Lucha Underground a try with Mil Muertes vs. Prince Puma vs. Pentagon Jr. for the Lucha Underground Championship. And I’ll be watching the finals of the New Japan Cup.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #7

March 5th 2016

Death by Elbow vs. Ricochet and Matt Sydal at PWG’s All Star Weekend XII Night Two

DbE consist of Chris Hero and JT Dunn, who is making his debut in PWG, replacing an apparently injured Tommy End. This match went around thirty minutes but it would have been so much better had they kept it to twenty. The match was ready to peak at twenty minutes, and was well on course for ****+, but they kept going and it felt like the air was being let out of the room. The crowd responded in kind and it definitely felt like they were chanting and whatnot because that’s what was expected rather than it being anything organic. There were some nice spots, though, including a running hurricanrana from Hero that got the biggest pop of the whole match, but this was a match that suffered greatly by going too long.

***1/2

Roderick Strong © vs Zack Sabre Jr for the PWG World Championship at PWG’s All Star Weekend XII Night Two

There’s a bit before the match where Strong wants another referee for the match, as he has some kind of issue with the assigned referee, but as the second referee gets up on the ring apron, the first referee superkicks him and knocks him silly and promptly calls for the bell to start the match. This was a weird match in that everything was well executed, things generally made sense and there was some good storytelling, but it just did not click and I don’t know why. Nothing was wrong with the match and nothing was that bad, but it just felt like guys doing stuff just to go long. There was no real sense of build, of things rising to a crescendo before a heated finish. It was a technically sound thirty minutes but it was just ‘there’.

**1/2

March 9th 2016

Roy Wilkins © vs. Trevor Lee for the CWF Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship at CWF’s End of an Era 2016 (aired on this date)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L98jWcSHfHg

It’s very tricky rating a match that went 104 minutes, especially as this was my first time really watching CWF. There was nothing technically wrong with this match and there were very few blown spots, maybe one or two, which for going so long is quite the feat. But there wasn’t any real feeling of building and not too much that was done really led to anything. The commentators started out good but lost focus as the match went on, and when things got heated, one of them did a really terrible impression of Jim Ross circa 1985, with lots of screaming and yelling. I felt sorry for the guy because it was painful to listen to. The match was fine but you want more than ‘fine’ if you’re asked to invest 104 minutes of your time.

**1/4

Mil Muertes © vs. Prince Puma vs. Pentagon Jr for the Lucha Underground Championship on Lucha Underground TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcEhvlbTC_c (not available in all countries)

I’ve watched very little from Lucha Underground as it’s not really my thing, so I wasn’t exactly relishing watching this. My sense of foreboding wasn’t helped with Matt Striker being on commentary. Well, I didn’t end up hating the match, or Striker’s commentary, but neither was I blown away. It was a twelve-minute spotfest, and a well executed one, but it lacked any real emotion. There were some crazy spots and plenty to pop for, but there was nothing substantial about the match and it felt fairly hollow.

**3/4

March 12th 2016

Tetsuya Naito vs. Hirooki Goto in the New Japan Cup Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FkCBh2PF1g (English commentary)
    http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00379_3_09 (New Japan World)

A good match marred by Los Ingobernables bullshit and some terrible booking that buried the loser and rendered most of his big moves as completely useless. Not only was his finisher kicked out of but an avalanche version of one of his big moves was kicked out of as well. Then, on the finish of the match, the winner hit his big move, once, and that was it. No kicking out of anything for the loser or some near-falls or anything else to make him look good or otherwise protect him. Just one big move and that was enough to put him down. That in itself isn’t necessarily bad, especially if you want to put the winner over strong, but they took too much away from the loser without giving something back, and it really killed him off to a serious degree.

***1/4

Next up, we visit Germany for Marty Scurll and Trevor Lee vs. Will Ospreay and Mike Bailey. Then we return to ‘The Temple’ for Mil Muertes vs. Fenix before heading to Japan for two matches. From New Japan, Katsuyori Shibata defends the NEVER Openweight Championship against Satoshi Kojima, and in Pro Wrestling NOAH, Atsushi Kotoge and Daisuke Harada defend the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship against Kenoh and Hajime Ohara.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #8

March 13th 2016

Marty Scurll and Trevor Lee vs. Will Ospreay and Mike Bailey at wXw 16 Carat Gold Day Three

This match was fine but felt very paint-by-numbers, which is a feeling you get a lot from Indys when you have guys who are working just hard enough to be good but not much harder than that. As ever, Scurll’s chickenwing was Cena’s STFU-levels of bad. I don’t get it. It’s one of his main moves but, with few exceptions, it always looks bad.

**1/2

March 16th 2016

Mil Muertes © vs. Fenix for the Lucha Underground Championship on Lucha Underground TV (aired on this date)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKuplo_a3Q (Not available in all countries)

After starting out as a spotfest, this turned into a really good brawl, with the action hitting the floor and the stands, which led to some really cool spots from Fenix. Both guys juiced, and whilst there were some chair shots to the head, most of them were relatively safe. The psychology and selling was a little off in places; at one point, Fenix did a huge dive off the stands onto Muertes, who was got right up and immediately powerbombed Fenix onto the commentary table. Other than that, I have no real complaints about a match that was very enjoyable to watch.

Off-topic, I finally realized that Muertes was the former Judas Mesias, which I didn’t know before because I don’t watch Lucha Underground, and I only worked it out because his mask got ripped up. If that hadn’t happened, I wouldn’t have realized it because Mesias has put on a ton of muscle mass since his TNA days. Physically, he looks completely different, and it doesn’t exactly take a genius to figure out how he gained that news mass. And he’s not muscular, either; it’s all bulk and he has the puffy look that was prevalent in the 80s when deca was the main steroid of choice.

***1/2

March 19th 2016

Katsuyori Shibata © vs. Satoshi Kojima for the NJPW Openweight Championship at NJPW’s Road to Invasion Attack

https://rutube.ru/video/eaa9b125684b...9e0287544d9ab/
    http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00381_2_08 (New Japan World)

This match was part of a storyline where Shibata was defending his title against some of the previous generation of top guys, which as well as Kojima, included Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Yuji Nagata, both of whom were at ringside to cheer Kojima on. This was very much a battle of the old guard vs. the new guard, and Kojima was the sympathetic favourite throughout. The fans were really into Kojima whenever he made a comeback, and much of the match was Kojima having to fight back, in part because it fit the storyline but also because Kojima is physically well past his prime so Shibata had to carry things. The match was very good, though, and Kojima played his part well, and it’s a great example of doing an old vs. new match where the old guys aren’t portrayed or presented as old or otherwise past it, even if people deep down know that they are.

****1/4

Atsushi Kotoge and Daisuke Harada © vs. Kenoh and Hajime Ohara for the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship at NOAH’s Great Voyage in Korakuen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_PkKNHOaY

One of the worst put together matches I have ever seen. Kenoh and Ohara established themselves as heels from the outset and then proceeded to outsmart the babyfaces at just about every turn, including on the finish, killing the babyfaces dead. The referee was turned into a complete fool, first with the distraction spot, which I hate because it never makes any logical sense for the referee to turn his back on the action and completely ignore everything he’s hearing and feeling happen in the ring. Then, after that spot, which involved him preventing one of the babyfaces coming into the ring, he turned around to witness the illegal man for the established heel team come in the ring and doubleteam the babyface. And what did the referee do during all this? Did he protest? Did he try and get the illegal heel out of the ring? No. He just stood there with his thumb so far up his ass that if he wanted to hitch a ride after the matches, he’d first have to open his mouth. The person who came up with that spot should be fired and the five people involved in the match should question their manhood for not refusing to do a spot that made no sense and killed the credibility of everyone involved. This match was a complete abomination.

DUD

Things improve for our next outing as Tomohiro Ishii defends the ROH World Television Championship against EVIL, Io Shirai and Mayu Iwatani defend the Goddess of Stardom Championship against Kairi Hojo and Meiko Satomura, Kento Miyahara defends the Triple Crown against Takao Omori, and in Lucha Underground, it’s Aztec Warfare II.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #9

March 20th 2016

Tomohiro Ishii © vs. EVIL for the ROH World Television Championship at NJPW’s Road to Invasion Attack

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00381_08 (New Japan World)

This was a great match that felt like a real war of attrition. It was very physical, which shouldn’t surprise you given who was involved. And even though EVIL is part of Los Ingobernables, they played no part at all in the match, which was a welcome relief. It was a physical brawl, with the requisite headbutts from Shibata, but other than that, nothing too crazy or over-the-top. If you like a straight ahead, no-nonsense match that’s simple but very effective in what it does, then this match is for you.

****1/4

March 21st 2016

Io Shirai and Mayu Iwatani © vs. Kairi Hojo and Meiko Satomura for the Goddess of Stardom Championship at Stardom’s Stardom The Highest

https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/pl...=2016_03_21_10 (Stardom World)

This was a great match, a throwback to the 90s classics in AJW. It was constant action, lots of highspots and flying with plenty of kicking as well, though there weren’t many submissions. If you like all-action matches with little downtime, this match is for you, and from this match alone, it’s easy to see why WWE would want Hojo. She’s great. Even though Satomura was the biggest star, Hojo was, by far, the best worker in the match.

Kento Miyahara © vs. Takao Omori for the AJPW Triple Crown at AJPW Dream Power Series 2016 - Tag 4

https://rutube.ru/video/a75a81eefb2b...b92d7b79028be/

This was what I shall hereafter call a ‘three bears’ type match; not too bad, not too good, but just average. Good enough to not be bad, but not good enough to be anything more than average.

**1/2

March 23rd 2016

Aztec Warfare II (with the Lucha Underground Championship at stake; the champion, Fenix, is in the match) on Lucha Underground TV

This is Lucha Underground’s version of the Royal Rumble, but with elimination by way of pinfall or submissions rather than going over the top rope, and anything goes. There are twenty entrants and someone new shows up every sixty seconds. #1 was Fenix, the current Lucha Underground Champion but the first big pop was for the announcement of entrant #2, who was a major name making his debut. This is a great match for TV but not a great match in itself, at least here, because it was nothing but spots with very little in between. Some of the spots, usually involving the smaller wrestlers, were crazy bordering on reckless and Jack Evans took one bump that was outright stupid. One thing this match showed is that there is absolutely no drug testing in Lucha Underground. Virtually everyone is jacked to the gills, some of them to the point that you can pretty well put money on them not making it to sixty years of age. And as much as that sounds like a joke, and it is, it really isn’t. So many people in this match were unhealthily jacked up. Anyway, the match was fine if you’re into nothing but spots with no real psychology and minimal story.

Next up, we begin April, which is a very packed month. We start out with Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Will Ospreay from EVOLVE, and two outings from NXT’s Takeover: Dallas event; The Revival defend the NXT Tag Team Championship against American Alpha, and Shinsuke Nakamura faces Sami Zayn.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #10

April 2016

April 1st 2016

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Will Ospreay at EVOLVE 58

Allow me to repeat some of what I originally said about this match when it took place;

Sabre Jr/Osprey was right around the ****1/2 mark. It didn’t have the dramatic final minutes of Nakamura/Zayn, and it wasn’t a match that built in the traditional sense, but it was very Steamboat/Flair-like in that it felt like an athletic contest rather than a wrestling match, and so they weren’t trying to build the match in the traditional sense. It had some minor flaws; I thought some of the facials late on were too wacky for the type of match they were going for, and the triangle choke was the pro-wrestling version that doesn’t look even remotely close to being an actual choke, and for this style of match, it looked out of place as they should have gone for the real version and simply had the victim quickly scramble for the ropes. But those small things aside, this was a tremendous match.
    All that said, and I don’t know what it was, but the second time around, this doesn’t stand up as a ****1/2 match. It’s still a very good match but it was missing something on the second viewing and just misses out on the **** mark.

***3/4

The Revival © vs. American Alpha for the NXT Tag Team Championship at NXT Takeover: Dallas

NXT Takeover: Dallas (WWE Network)

This was a strong tag team match. Aside from one very glaring botch, which elicited a ‘botchamania’ chant, everything here was crisp and well-executed. There was some great teamwork, nice heel spots, fire and vibrancy; if WWE built their tag team division around these two teams, they’d be cruising. I’m not as high on this match as a lot of people were, but it was still very good.

***1/2

Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura at NXT Takeover: Dallas

NXT Takeover: Dallas (WWE Network)

The first time I watched this match, I thought it was fantastic and an easy ****1/2 match. The second time around, it’s still just as good. Nakamura was so over it wasn’t even funny. One year later, one year older, and one year’s worth of miles on the clock, and Nakamura is still in NXT and a lot cooler and not in a good way. WWE, especially Raw, is crying out for new blood, so why Nakamura has yet to be called up is a mystery. (NOTE: This was written before Nakamura debuted on Smackdown)

****1/2

Next, we stick with the Indy’s with Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay from EVOLVE, and then two matches from the WWN. Zack Sabre Jr. takes on Chris Hero, and it’s a six-man tag with Marty Scurll, Tommy End and Will Ospreay vs. Johnny Gargano, Kota Ibushi and TJ Perkins.
    Last edited by EgoFantastico; 04-24-2017 at 02:31 PM.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #11

April 2nd 2016

Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay at EVOLVE 59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygucGudxwbM

This match had tons of great spots, with great facial expressions and a dash of psychology helping to make it more than just a spotfest. This was before their more widely lauded BOSJ meeting that set the stage for this match becoming something of an Indy staple that has been rebooked all over the place. This may have been the best one of the lot, perhaps in part because it was the first and so everything felt fresher. If you like balls-to-the-wall matches with non-stop action and excitement, this match is for you.

****1/2

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Chris Hero at WWN’s Mercury Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnHrwzT_2us

This match was absolutely fantastic. It had tremendous wrestling and psychology, great selling and storytelling; it had everything a classic should have. Hero is incredible and it’s a shame that WWE have taken so long to be willing to work around a wrestler’s cosmetic shortcomings, because Hero deserves to not only have been on the main roster a long time ago, but in a top spot. Hero’s not just great but he can make others look great as well, although it’s not like Sabre was just someone along for the ride because he was great too. This match is a MOTY-level affair and definitely worth making time to see.

****3/4

Marty Scurll, Tommy End and Will Ospreay vs. Johnny Gargano, Kota Ibushi and TJ Perkins at WWN’s Mercury Rising

There was plenty of action here and whilst it threatened to be great on a number of occasions, it never rose above being good. There were some nice exchanges and good spots throughout the match, but it couldn’t seem to get into high gear, despite everyone’s best efforts.

We visit WWE with a pair of matches from Wrestlemania, the seven person Ladder match for the Intercontinental Championship, and the Women’s Championship Three-Way. And then it’s on to the post-Wrestlemania Raw with a Fatal Four-Way.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #12

April 3rd 2016

Kevin Owens © vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz vs. Sami Zayn vs. Stardust vs. Sin Cara vs. Zack Ryder for the Intercontinental Championship in a Ladder match at WWE’s Wrestlemania 32

This was a wild and insane, even by WWE standards, stuntfest. It was filled with some crazy bumps, some of which were sure to have Vince and company cringing, given their public stance on head trauma. I would presumably put that down to it being Wrestlemania and people willing to go the extra mile. The bumps were crazy, the spots were creative; this was a top-level stuntfest, especially for WWE. If you like car crash matches, then this match is for you.

****1/4

Charlotte © vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch for the WWE Women’s Championship at WWE’s Wrestlemania 32

This was a fine three-way but it certainly wasn’t great, and it really wasn’t even what you could call good. It was perfectly acceptable fare. The commentary was derisory to the point of being embarrassing and a lot of that was because they were trying so hard to push the match and those involved as being far better than they actually were. Certainly based on this match, calling any of these three good workers would be an overstatement and when JBL called it the greatest era in women’s wrestling, he completely destroyed his credibility. I get pushing a company narrative but you don’t want to overstate your case and lose credibility in the process. And nothing about this match was great at all. It wasn’t even good. It was just average.

**1/2

April 4th 2016

AJ Styles vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens vs. Cesaro in a Four-Way match for the #1 contendership to the WWE Championship at WWE Raw

The main event for the first post-Wrestlemania Raw and fresh off a virtually clean job the night before, Styles is in a match to determine a top contender to the WWE Championship. Yay for WWE booking philosophy. It’s your usual Raw main event where there’s a slow build for a couple of minutes before they start kicking things into high gear. There are lots of near-falls and Cesaro, making his return after being out with injury, gets lots of chances to shine. Jericho, as always, doesn’t even try to hide when he’s calling spots. The crowd are pretty hot throughout what is a strong TV match, so it’s worth watching but not worth going out of your way to see.

***1/4

Next up, I have the thrill(!) of a rematch over the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship, the delight of watching Meiko Satomura vs. Aja Kong, and a peek at Kengo Mashimo vs. Kento Kiyahara from the Champion Carnival.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #13

April 5th 2016

Kenoh and Hajime Ohara © vs. Atsushi Kotoge and Daisuke Harada for the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship at NOAH’s

https://youtu.be/WXkHia55z9g?t=1h22m36s

This was not a match I was looking forward to and when I saw how long it was likely to be, I was sorely tempted to skip it. This is a rematch from a contest that took place on March 19th, a match that I reviewed earlier and that I absolutely hated because it was one of the worst put together matches I have ever seen. It had screwed up psychology all throughout and turned the referee into a complete idiot. I was not hopeful that things would be any better this time around. Well, the referee was still terrible, but the psychology was much better; for one thing, the heels weren’t outsmarting the babyfaces at every turn. The match itself was OK but not really outstanding in any way and kind of just there, with nobody standing out above the others.

**1/2

April 8th 2016

Aja Kong vs. Meiko Satomura at Sendai Girls’

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7gNyjKQbdQ46Kh0SpR

Now this is one of the matches I was most looking forward to watching, as I’m big fan of Joshi and of both of these women in particular. I was disappointed but understanding that we didn’t get Kong’s killer AJW theme. We did, though, get a version of Satomura’s excellent GAEA theme. The match itself was great and had two distinct halves. The first half was a walk around the building brawl with Kong dominating Satomura and the women acting as security constantly having to scream at people to get out of the way. The second half was all in the ring and heavy on psychology as Satomura fought back against the monster. There weren’t a lot of big bumps or crazy moves, likely because Kong isn’t up to too many of them given her career, but she did more than enough in other ways, as did Satomura, to make this a great match.

April 9th 2016

Kengo Mashimo vs. Kento Miyahara at AJPW’s Championship Carnival 2016 Night One

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x47tzwa

This was a ‘three-bears’ match, and whilst it had its moments, it didn’t really stand out. I think the limitations of both men were pretty evident in how the match was laid out, but Miyahara looked like he could be great if he had the chance to work with some top-notch workers.

**1/2

Up next is our first look at Big Japan with Shuji Ishikawa vs. Hideyoshi Kamitani. Then, it’s a trio of matches from New Japan’s Invasion Attack. First, Ricochet and Matt Sydal defend the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship against RPG Vice. Then, Kushida defends the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship against Will Ospreay. And finally, Kazuchika Okada defends the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Tetsuya Naito.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #14

April 10th 2016

Shuji Ishikawa vs. Hideyoshi Kamitani at BJW’s Strong Climb

I’ve watched some Big Japan before, but it’s usually been their deathmatches, which are traditionally very over-the-top in their violence. This was a normal match, so there was none of that type of violence, although Ishikawa did take things too far with the kind of stupidly stiff headbutts that make you wonder how the realities of concussions haven’t permeated to Japanese wrestling. Other than that, it was a very physical, methodical match, almost reminiscent of 70s All Japan in terms of pacing and of feeling like a gruelling battle. With his look, Ishikawa could be a cult undercard guy in New Japan, and he reminds me of Tatsutoshi Goto in that regard. Headbutts aside, this was a very enjoyable match.

***1/4

Ricochet and Sydal © vs. RPG Vice for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship at NJPW’s Invasion Attack

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00385_1_1 (New Japan World)

This was a fine all-action match. Both teams showed some nice teamwork and there were some nice dives, but in all other aspects, that match was fairly unremarkable. It felt like a house match; they didn’t work too hard, they didn’t take many bumps, they didn’t push themselves too hard. They put in enough effort to have a fine match but no more.

**1/2

KUSHIDA © vs. Will Ospreay for IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship at NJPW’s Invasion Attack

This was Ospreay’s debut in New Japan, with Ospreay being brought in as a member of CHAOS. CHAOS members at this time also include Rocky Romero, Beretta, and Kazuchika Okada. Ospreay, or ‘Osplay’ as his name read in the graphic, looked so good here, as did Kushida. The match started slow and developed nicely before kicking into high gear. There were some great dives, wild bumps, selling and psychology; this match had it all. I believe that both men are capable of a much better match and I suspect that a major reason that this match was ‘only’ great was because it was their first time working together and that more familiarity with each will see the match quality increase. Still, this was great.

Kazuchika Okada © vs. Tetsuya Naito for IWGP Heavyweight Championship at NJPW’s Invasion Attack

This was a fantastic match that was sullied, for me, by the involvement of Los Ingobernables, who were involved in run-ins and interference. Throw in the almost always illogical, as it was here, referee distraction spot and a referee bump as well, and it drags the match down a few notches. The match was otherwise fantastic and a strong home stretch may well have put it at the five-star level. As it is, things get bogged down with needless and unwanted interference. If you can put up with that, however, or actually like it in this situation, then this match is definitely worth watching.

****1/4

We’re going all over the world for our next outing. First, it’s to America and Lucha Underground with Brian Cage, Johnny Mundo and Taya vs. Prince Puma, Rey Mysterio Jr and Dragon Azteca Jr. Then we go to Japan for Kento Miyahara vs. Naoya Nomura in the Champion Carnival. And then it’s off to Germany and wXw with Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #15

April 13th 2016

Brian Cage, Johnny Mundo and Taya vs. Prince Puma, Rey Mysterio Jr and Dragon Azteca Jr.

This match is part of LU’s Trios Tournament and if you like non-stop spots with little in the way of psychology, transitions or selling, then this match is for you. Brian Cage, the walking pharmacy, pretty well killed off most of the offense of his smaller opponents; at one point, Puma hit an enzugiri and Cage didn’t sell it a lick before going into the next spot. The spots were non-stop, the selling and psychology never really started, and the smaller guys were made to look virtually ineffective against a guy who would be in WWE tomorrow if he had a hope in hell of ever passing a drug test.

DUD

April 16th 2016

Kento Miyahara vs. Naoya Nomura at AJPW’s Championship Carnival 2016 Night Three

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x45w0lb

The setting of the match depressed me because it was this tiny hall that held under 300 people, and it was a major downer to see All Japan having fallen so far. As for the match itself, it was fine. Miyahara was OK here and Nomura looked capable for someone only two years into the business, although he’s obviously rough around the edges. I think he could have a bright future, but it probably won’t be in All Japan.

April 22nd 2016

Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll at wXw’s Superstars of Wrestling Night 1

wXw have a very intimate atmosphere to their events because there is never a guardrail or other barrier, meaning the fans can get right up against the ring. It doesn’t usually cause problems, though, and it didn’t here. This match can best be described as a ‘greatest hits’ match, in that it was a melody of all the usual spots you get from these two, with one or two new ones thrown in. Scurll’s chickenwing looked worse than it usually does, which is saying something because it always looks bad. The fans were super into this match, and this was the kind of match that plays better live than on tape.

Our next instalment sees April come to a close with five matches. Some lesser known promotions take center stage, as GUTS (Daisuke © vs. Buffalo for the GWC Championship), DDT (HARASHIMA © vs. Kazusada Higuchi for the KO-D Openweight Championship ) and Promociones Reza (Negro Casas vs. Rey Hechicero ) get involved. We have one more trip to the Champion Carnival (Zeus. vs Daisuke Sekimoto in the tournament final). And our last match of the month involves another visit to ‘the Temple’ for a four-way trios match.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #16

April 24th 2016

Daisuke © vs. Buffalo for the GWC Championship at GUTS’ World’s Guts World Vol. 96 Bukotsu Shobu 2016

https://rutube.ru/video/5e4b9e446562...0b0431b9a2ecb/

This match was a great brawl, reminiscent of early ECW in that it was in a small setting, it looked dark, and it was a single camera set-up. The downside to the single camera is that it meant when the action was on the floor on the far side of the ring, that we couldn’t really see what was going on. The commentary was done over the house mic, which I didn’t like but didn’t detract from the match too much. There was some plenty of action on the floor, including some full force chair shots and other blows to the head, which weren’t a welcome sight. We also had juice for what I think is only the second time in this venture. Maybe it’s just me, but blood feels anachronistic, like it’s a throwback to more primitive times. The match was a total brawl and, as mentioned, great. I was surprised at how good it was because I wasn’t expecting too much out of a smaller group like GUTS, although I was watching for the first time. Anyway, if you want an old-fashioned, old-style bleeding and brawling match, then you should definitely check this out.

HARASHIMA © vs. Kazusada Higuchi for the KO-D Openweight Championship at DDT’s Max Bump

https://rutube.ru/video/13e6708bfd4e...28f3a0a99f11d/

This was my first look at either man and I liked what I saw. This was a good, physical battle. There was a spot where one of them was sent head first into the ringpost without protecting themselves, but other than that, nothing too crazy in what was a very no-nonsense battle. If you like that type of match, where it’s straight ahead and there is a minimum of bullshit, you’ll enjoy this.

Negro Casas vs. Rey Hechicero at Noches de Coliseo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldkICURizm0

It’s a complete change of pace for our next match as we visit Mexico. The promotion behind this is called Promociones Reza and according to Cagematch, has run two events; this one and one on July 19th 2015. There is no logo and no other obvious information out there about them. Negro Casas is a legend in Mexico and one of the all time greats. And at 55-years-old at the time of this match, he clearly still has plenty of life left in him. That isn’t to say this match is great, or really even good, because it isn’t. But it’s a fine Lucha match, especially considering the age of Casas and the miles he has on the clock.

Zeus vs. Daisuke Sekimoto in the final of AJPW’s Championship Carnival 2016

https://rutube.ru/video/700dc7a5dc84...a464496623971/

We’re hitting All Japan for the finals of their Champion Carnival tournament and we’re back in the venue that holds around 300, so things have fallen just a tad from their glory days. I don’t think I’ve seen much of Zeus before, if anything, so I don’t know what to expect from him. I’ve seen Sekimoto a few times and I’ve always enjoyed it. For those of you who haven’t seen Sekimoto before, he is very puffed up in a 80s WWF way and Zeus, whilst not not quite as bulky, is still jacked up. This was a very physical and hard-hitting battle of the hosses. There were a few holds here and there but for the most part this match was two jacked dudes beating the piss out of each other. It wasn’t fancy but it was great fun. It’s unlikely to happen, but I’d really like to see Sekimoto face Katsuyori Shibata. That match could be all kinds of fun to watch.

***1/2

April 27th 2016

Spoiler:

Son of Havoc and Ivelisse © vs. Jack Evans, PJ Black and Fenix vs. Cortez Castro, Mr. Cisco and Joey Ryan vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., Prince Puma and El Dragon Azteca Jr. in an Elimination match in the Lucha Underground Trios Tournament Finals with the Trio’s Championship also on the line on Lucha Underground (aired on this date)

Before the match, Dario Cueto, the authority figure, cames out to say that Angelico was injured and Son of Havoc and Ivelisse, a woman, would have to defend their titles as a twosome. Also, Castro is the former Ricky Reyes, who used to team with Rocky Romero as the Havana Pitbulls. Anyway, it was classic LU; tons of spots with little psychology or storytelling. Ivelisse worked competitively with the men. Joey Ryan did nothing to dissuade me from the opinion that he’s a very poor worker who would die a horrible death without an over-the-top gimmick to hide behind. The guy is really, really bad.

DUD

The next instalment sees us begin May, and we do so with three matches from New Japan’s Dontaku event. Katsuyori Shibata defends the NEVER Openweight Championship against Yuji Nagata, Kushida defends the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship against Jushin Liger. And Kazuchika Okada defends the IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Tetsuya Naito.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #17

May 2016

May 3rd 2016

Katsuyori Shibata © vs. Yuji Nagata for the NEVER Openweight Championship at New Japan’s Dontaku

As part of Shibata’s feud with the previous generation of top stars, he defends the NEVER Openweight title against one of my favourite wrestlers, Yuji Nagata. This was grumpy young guy vs. grumpy old guy, with plenty of great facial expressions and attitude to go along with the stiff action. This was a good, hard-hitting match, but I was a little disappointed. I expected a higher quality of match between these two. As good as Shibata against Kojima was, I was sure Shibata against Nagata, given their styles, would be even better, and it wasn’t. It was still a good match. Just not as good as I thought it would be.

KUSHIDA © vs. Jushin Liger for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship at New Japan’s Dontaku

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00390_1_07 (New Japan World)

Continuing a theme of the old guard challenging the new, the legendary Jushin Liger goes up against Kushida for a title that Liger has held numerous times in the past. This was a very strong match with a great story. The reigning champion looking to fend off the legend, a legend who is clearly looking to do everything he can to get one more (last?) run with the title that he put on the map. The match was made great not necessarily by what was done, but rather how it was done. Kushida and Liger both carried themselves in a manner that effectively put across their desperation to gain the win. The way they moved, acted and reacted, told a great and easy to understand story that really drew you into the match. Obviously, Liger is far from his prime, but this match showed that he can, even if only once in a while, more than carry his share of the load to make a match great.

Tetsuya Naito © vs. Tomohiro Ishii for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship at New Japan’s Dontaku

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00390_1_10 (New Japan World)

Naito is great and Ishii always brings it, so the match quality was tremendous. It started slow, built up, and then kicked into high gear, as you’d expect from a New Japan main event. The major downside to this match, which dragged the overall quality down, was that not only did we have the usual Los Ingobernables bullshit, but we had two ref bumps, and we had the completely illogical and credibility destroying spot where you have guys interfering in the match, actually in the ring, with people and officials watching on and doing nothing. Eventually, Kazuchika Okada and Gedo, who were seconding Ishii, dragged the rest of LI to the back, but the damage was done, both in storyline and out. It’s not what I want to see in New Japan, I absolutely hate it, and I can’t wait until the obsession with heel groups and Americanised bullshit is gone from New Japan.

Our next set of matches will cove Ice Ribbon (Arisa Nakajima and Tsukasa Fujimoto vs. Nanae Takahashi and Emi Sakura), Lucha Underground (Sexy Star vs. La Mariposa), and Dragon Gate. It’s a tag team match, a women’s match, and six-way cage match, where everyone has something to lose.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #18

May 4th 2016

Arisa Nakajima and Tsukasa Fujimoto vs. Nanae Takahashi and Emi Sakura at Ice Ribbon’s 10th Anniversary

I’ve always wanted to see something from Ice Ribbon, so this was a match I was looking forward to seeing. It was a pretty good match, very entertaining. It was physical, obviously, though a little too much so in places with some overly stiff headbutts. In comparison to Stardom, the match felt more natural. With Stardom, you can almost see the dots as they go from spot to stop to spot. It’s very mechanical most of the time and it can feel more like they’re performing a match rather than having a match. This felt nothing like that. It’s not must-see but it’s still worth watching.

***1/4

Sexy Star vs. La Mariposa in a No Mas match at Lucha Underground (aired on this date)

This was the Lucha version of an “I Quit” match. It was my first time watching Sexy Star work, so I was looking forward to seeing what she could go. It was hard to get a read on how good she is as a wrestler because this match was a complete brawl with very little action taking place inside the ring. Most of the match was outside the ring, on the floor, and at one point they were on a walkway that went over the heads of a section of the fans. This did lead to a pretty sick situation because Star was bleeding by this point and some of the blood was dripping down onto the fans. I don’t mind women blading or bleeding, even if blading feels outdated, but letting it drip on the fans was a little too far.

That aside, this was a fantastic brawl with some crazy and wild spots. I was surprised at how good it was. Whether Star can wrestle inside the ring or not, I don’t know, but she can brawl and she and Mariposa had a one hell of a brawl. This one is definitely worth seeing. It was absolutely fantastic.

****1/2

May 5th 2016

Shingo Takagi vs. Naruki Doi vs.YAMATO vs. Naoki Tanizaki vs. Cyber Kong vs. Kotoka in a Hair vs. Mask Double Risk Survival Six-Way Cage Match at Dragon Gate’s Dead or Alive

The exact rules are convoluted and the ‘double risk’ aspect was set up by a series of ‘delegate selection’ matches earlier in the card. Here’s an explanation from a DG site;

The losers of the respective selection matches will become the delegate for their cage match participant. Their hair or mask will also be at risk in the match. In the event of a time limit draw or other such indecisive finish, both fighters will become delegates.

Inside the cage, a competitor will first have to score a pinfall or submission before they are allowed to escape the cage. The pinfall will free their delegate from their risk. They can then escape the cage and their own risk by retrieving one of the five flags that will be placed at the top of the cage.
    Each wrestler in the cage match has a ‘delegate’ outside the cage, that being the person who lost their match earlier in the card. Both the wrestler in the cage and their delegate are risking their hair or mask. One of the wrestlers appeared to have two delegates, which I presume is because their match went to a draw. The stipulations were convoluted, the match was convoluted, and I tuned out about ten-minutes in because the whole thing was a completely incomprehensible mess. This was a shambles on every level.

DUD of the Year

Next up, a much anticipated rematch in EVOLVE as Chris Hero and Zack Sabre Jr. face off again. There is another trip to GUTS for Mr. Gannosuke vs. Daisuke. And then what should be another enjoyable outing from Stardom as Io Shirai faces Mayu Iawatani.

BTB of the Year 2012

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #19

May 6th 2016

Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. at EVOLVE 60

This was a rematch from EVOLVE 53 earlier in the year, which was itself a match as part of an ongoing program between the two. Their match at EVOLVE 53 was absolutely incredible and this match was even better. Not by much, but when you’re already near the ceiling, there is only so far you can go before you hit it. And this match hit it. Hero and Sabre Jr. are the perfect opponents for each other. Their styles mesh together so well. This match had psychology and storytelling, great heel work without being too cartoony or OTT; this match had everything you want in a classic encounter. This was a major MotY contender and is definitely worth going out of your way to watch.

May 8th 2016

Daisuke © vs. Mr. Gannosuke for the GWC Championship at GUTS’ World Let’s Go Together! Korakuen

I didn’t go into this match with very high expectations. I was never impressed with Gannosuke during his time with FMW; I thought he was average at best, and that may be stretching things a tad. So I was very surprised when this turned out to be a great match, and it was great without doing anything outlandish or outrageous. It was worked very old-style, with either Daisuke or Gannosuke working on a limb and just staying on it, working it over with wear-down holds or submissions. There’s not a lot to describe because they didn’t do a lot, either in terms of spots or moves; they just worked on a hold and kept at it and kept at it, but it was all well done and it all built to a nice crescendo. At least based on this match, Gannosuke is an unheralded great worker, because he was great here, and so was this match.

****1/4

May 15th 2016

Io Shirai © vs. Mayu Iwatani for the World of Stardom Championship at STARDOM’s Gold

This was a good, Stardom-style match, which means that everything was well executed but you could see the joins, as it were. There was plenty of action, lots of high-impact moves. My only real complaint about the match was the finish, because it did the loser absolutely no favours at all. There was no back-and-forth, no series of near-falls; there was nothing to even try and give the impression the loser was in any way near the level of the winner. She just took a couple of small moves, kicked out of those, and then got hit with one bigger move and was done. There was no build to the finish, either. It just happened out of nowhere. It felt very much like they wanted you to know that the loser was several levels below the winner. Calling it a burial would be an understatement.

Four matches are on deck next. From CWF Mid-Atlantic, Trevor Lee faces Cedric Alexander. From New Japan’s Best of the Super Junior tournament, Kushida takes on Kyle O’Reilly. And there are two matches from WWE’s Extreme Rules; The Miz defends the Intercontinental title in a four-way, and Roman Reigns defends the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against AJ styles.

BTB of the Year 2012

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Entry #19

Quote Originally Posted by EgoFantastico View Post

May 15th 2016

Io Shirai © vs. Mayu Iwatani for the World of Stardom Championship at STARDOM’s Gold

This was a good, Stardom-style match, which means that everything was well executed but you could see the joins, as it were. There was plenty of action, lots of high-impact moves. My only real complaint about the match was the finish, because it did the loser absolutely no favours at all. There was no back-and-forth, no series of near-falls; there was nothing to even try and give the impression the loser was in any way near the level of the winner. She just took a couple of small moves, kicked out of those, and then got hit with one bigger move and was done. There was no build to the finish, either. It just happened out of nowhere. It felt very much like they wanted you to know that the loser was several levels below the winner. Calling it a burial would be an understatement.

this review cannot be serious. calling it an embarrassment would be an understatement if you genuinely think the loser was buried.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 05-19-2017 at 04:18 PM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

Pain does not lie

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Ego’s Take on the Best of 2016

Yeah Ego I don't know how you get buried when it comes to Mayu with her loss to Io Shirai during that match. I mean I always thought Stardom has thought of Mayu as the red-headed step child and Mayu has just as much abilities as Kairi or Io, and she's proving more and more the girl can go.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post

this review cannot be serious. calling it an embarrassment would be an understatement if you genuinely think the loser was buried.
    Is it as embarrassing as being so gotten to over a post that you didn’t just respond in the thread the post was in, but you also had to rush to a completely different thread to respond there as well?

Is it as embarrassing as rushing out a response that was a transparent attempt to ‘respond in kind’?

Is it as embarrassing as having to hastily edit that response once you realized how badly you came off?

I get not agreeing with my opinion on the finish to the match. I don’t have a problem with that. But responding the way you did, you don’t come across as someone disagreeing with my opinion on the finish. You come across as someone lashing out because of something I said in a thread that has nothing to do with this one. And that is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassius HoHo View Post
    Yeah Ego I don't know how you get buried when it comes to Mayu with her loss to Io Shirai during that match. I mean I always thought Stardom has thought of Mayu as the red-headed step child and Mayu has just as much abilities as Kairi or Io, and she's proving more and more the girl can go.
    I don’t know what more I can add to further explain myself. The finish was too casual and came out of nowhere. There was no build to it. There was no back-and-forth. Iwatani didn’t kick out of a bunch of big moves before finally going down to Shirai’s big finisher. She took a couple of low level moves before Shirai hit her big move, and that was it. The entire finish made it feel like Shirai was casually deposing of some low card geek who dared to play with the big girls. I don’t expect that I’ll change my mind but I think enough of your opinion that I’ll watch the match again and see if my view on the finish changes.

BTB of the Year 2012

Status

Re: Reply

Is it as embarrassing as being so gotten to over a post that you didn’t just respond in the thread the post was in, but you also had to rush to a completely different thread to respond there as well?

Is it as embarrassing as rushing out a response that was a transparent attempt to ‘respond in kind’?

Is it as embarrassing as having to hastily edit that response once you realized how badly you came off?

I get not agreeing with my opinion on the finish to the match. I don’t have a problem with that. But responding the way you did, you don’t come across as someone disagreeing with my opinion on the finish. You come across as someone lashing out because of something I said in a thread that has nothing to do with this one. And that is embarrassing.

I don’t know what more I can add to further explain myself. The finish was too casual and came out of nowhere. There was no build to it. There was no back-and-forth. Iwatani didn’t kick out of a bunch of big moves before finally going down to Shirai’s big finisher. She took a couple of low level moves before Shirai hit her big move, and that was it. The entire finish made it feel like Shirai was casually deposing of some low card geek who dared to play with the big girls. I don’t expect that I’ll change my mind but I think enough of your opinion that I’ll watch the match again and see if my view on the finish changes.

It's about as embarrassing as voting tactically in BTB awards to try and win, actually... but you're not that sort of person, I trust.

I was in this thread first. Ask anyone who was in the SB at the time and they'll tell you that I said you were mad for that review and calling it anything near a burial was ludicrious. And that was before I even know what you posted in the Shirai thread. Someone had to tell me that, actually.

Yes, I decided to change my initial thoughts of you being insane to something more abrasive but decided to edit it because I don't want to be you. Me calling that review an embarrassment is my genuine thought before I even clicked on the Shirai thread so I decided to keep my actual pre-Shirai thoughts. I only decided to post it because you decided (once again) that you had to enter a discussion with hostile intentions. Is it genuinely difficult for you to debate or discuss something you have a different opinion on without deciding to be 2edgy4me?

I laid down for an hour and sobbed gently at how embarrassing my behaviour was. I was gutted at the thought of my WC peers thinking so low of me. It is true. I felt terrible at being so triggered. In seriousness, people know I already disagreed with your opinion on the match before I even read your comments so I don't really care how I come across otherwise to you. And neither does anybody else.

But no, I meant it. If you're going to be brutally honest with people and decide to be a massive cock then you deserve it back. The review/criticism wasn't very good and it's not the only review I've had an issue reading. I stopped commenting or discussing because I know you don't take kindly to being disagreed with and it's awful to discuss anything with you when you're like that. There's a reason why the vast majority of this forum can't stand interacting with you and why a thread like this, that should have dozens of posts and comments over time, has become, mostly, just you. A shame since you stated that you wanted to generate debate. There would be a lot more if you weren't extremely stubborn or someone who is, almost always, guaranteed to turn it into a mud flinging contest with a sly dig at someone's opinion with a mightier than thou attitude. Granted, I don't think you care, so it's whatever. But I'll certainly tell you why that review was meh:

The finish of the match - I have issues with criticising something that is supposed to simulate/resemble a legitimate combat contest as having an abrupt ending. That's ridiculous. Would you criticise a MMA or Boxing match for ending in an abrupt KO? Why is it bad for a match to have an abrupt finish out of nowhere? Why does that take away from the match? In a scene where wrestling is presented more in line with how a combat sport is and should be viewed as pseudo combat sport then it's weak sauce as criticism. To, seemingly, knock off two stars for that is utter madness -- did it ruin your enjoyment of the match thaaaaat much? Just seems you've viewed the match entirely out of kayfabe and judged it on how it was structured. You half criticise Stardom in the Best Friends vs Sakura/Nanae review for feeling more like performance than a match -- but then you criticise a Stardom match for an aspect of it that fits in with being more "real" and less "performance" ?

I had to refresh my memory but the finishing stretch of the match starts at the Dragon Suplex (Iwatani's finisher) on the apron... which almost results in her actually winning the match by countout. That's a near fall on a technicality. Iwatani then hits a delayed german, botches her ultrarana (or Io botches a reversal, doubtful) then hits a frog splash. That's a series of her most powerful moves. She gets a near fall with the frog splash. Picks up Io then hits her Dragon Suplex finisher and gets another near fall. That's 3 times in quick succession that Iwatani almost wins. It's clear as day she has Io in trouble - that series of moves would have put ANYONE but Shirai away. Shirai counters Mayu's next finisher attempt with a tiger (one of Io's signature moves to compliment Mayu's dragon as a part of their team) then a package german then puts her away with the moonsault -- which is an extremely well protected move. It's rare when kicked out of - at this point, it was, anyway. Why would Io bother wasting her time trying to hit her shittier moves if she spots an opportunity to hit her devastating finisher and win? At that, the ending of this match is almost identical to the finishing stretch of Hojo vs Shirai and I see no complaints about abrupt finish there. Io kicks out of Hojo's finisher, counters the next attempt, picks her up and hits the tombstone, hits the package german, near fall, hits the tiger, moonsault win. There's not much difference in how either match ends at all. Mayu had already taken a tombstone a few moments earlier iirc in the Gold May match. Hojo and Iwatani both came as close as each other to winning with Mayu arguably closer. So if Iwatani got mega buried by the finish of this match then Kairi Hojo must be a total jobber after that January match, right? But I see you don't seem to have anything of the sort noted in your review for that match. So what's the difference? Why does Hojo/Io get 4 star+ treatment for almost the same finish as this match - yet, arguably, weaker? You've got that Meltzer level consistency down

The whole story of (and surrounding) the match is that it's the better, longer tenured tag partner vs the one considered weaker, underdog, less time in the ring partner. The whole point is that Mayu, the underdog, is trying to match up to Io, the champion, but ultimately failing due to some errors that Io is too wily enough to have in her game. It's typical underdog vs champion stuff mixed in with the whole long time partners facing each other dynamic. I have never seen anyone watch that match and claim Mayu comes out of it looking so far below Io. Sorry, but, that's garbage. It really is. That's the match that convinced the vast majority of Stardom fans that Mayu's the one to take the belt off of Io. It was, infact, the match that shows Iwatani can put her partner in perilous danger. If Iwatani rolls Io into the ring after hitting the dragon suplex on the apron rather than letting Io fall and take time to recover then Mayu wins that match. Another aspect of Io is that she's extremely tough to put away in title matches and sometimes has that superhuman feel to her where she just suddenly wins a match or digs deep at the very end despite taking ridiculous punishment and making it seem like nothing - like Okada. Maybe you would've enjoyed the match more if you followed the story for it but I don't think you particularly care. Some of your reviews give the impression that the stories being told are completely lost on you or you're ignorant of/disregard them when watching a match or make no attempt to even begin to understand. Why bother watching/reviewing stuff if you aren't going to get the full picture?

An example is the Dragon Gate DOA match being called the dud of the year. That's unbelievable -- just because you can't comprehend it? The storytelling and psychology of the match is amazing and the action is great. You think it's dud of the year just because you can't keep track of what's going on? What did you expect from a match involving that amount of people being around/in the ring at once? The stipulation is convoluted so it's automatically crap? Incredibly unfair review with absolutely zero attempt to give the match a proper chance, it seems. Comes across like your mind was made up on it before even watching it. It's absolute Dragon Gate at it's finest. Someone saying that it's shit purely on the basis that they can't wrap their head around it is lunacy. Maybe you're a purist and prefer almost pure, traditional matches. That's fine. But even then, 'dud of the year' is staggering. It legitimately comes across as you trying to troll or be contrarian 'just because' -- and that's not solely for this review.

I will say that the effort in doing a thread like this is appreciated and trying to generate discussion is always good. Threads like these always deserve love.

TLDR: shit happens. finish criticism is weak sauce and contradicts your opinion on a prior match. lack of understanding of the story it seems and you're miles off on it being a 'burial'.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 05-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

BTB Legend

Status

Entry #20

May 18th 2016

Trevor Lee © vs. Cedric Alexander in a No Time-Limit match for the CWF Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship on CWF Mid-Atlantic Worldwide (aired this date)

I don’t think I’ve seen too much of Cedric Alexander, but I’ve heard a lot about him so I was very interested in seeing what he can do with Lee. I’ve only seen Lee a couple of times, as part of this thread, and I can’t say I’ve been overly impressed. I haven’t thought Lee has been bad, just that he’s good but not overly good. Very average is how I would describe Lee.

For a fifty minute match, this was incredibly underwhelming. There was little rhyme or reason for anything that went on. It felt like they want so long just because they wanted to, completely forgetting to make anything count or matter. The commentary was very weak bordering on atrocious, and whoever the lead announcer is, somebody needs to tell him to stop doing the piss-poor second rate Jim Ross impression. It sucks, and whilst he’s not necessarily a bad commentator, he definitely becomes a bad commentator when he becomes a poor man’s Jim Ross.

May 21st 2016

KUSHIDA vs. Kyle O'Reilly at New Japan’s Best of the Super Junior’s Night One

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00392_1_08 (New Japan World)

This was a really great technical wrestling match. There were a couple of big spots out on the floor, and a few off the top rope, but apart from those instances, this was strictly a technical wrestling match with kicks and strikes thrown in for good measure. There was pro-style MMA stuff and O’Reilly actually had a triangle choke that didn’t look terrible, so I was pleased about that because pro wrestling triangle chokes almost always look bad. The exchanges on the mat were great, as were the working in and out of submissions. O’Reilly reminded me in some ways of Low-Ki, and I’m pretty sure one of the announcers, likely Milano Collection AT, referenced Low-Ki at one point. If you like modern technical pro-style technical wrestling mixed in with submissions and strikes, you will love this match because it was great stuff.

****1/4

May 22nd 2016

The Miz © vs. Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn in a Fatal Four-Way match for the Intercontinental Championship at WWE’s Extreme Rules

This was a well worked match that stayed true to the WWE four-way formula; guys taking turn controlling the action, lots of three and four-way spots, lots of breaking up pinfalls from the outside, etc. We had a referee distraction spot that made the referee look like an idiot. JBL was overbearing and obnoxious and commentary, intent on getting himself over above getting the match over. It was good match but they were pushing it as a classic on commentary, Michael Cole even calling it a match of the year candidate. It was good but nowhere near that good, and announcers do more harm than good when overselling a match.

***1/4

Roman Reigns © vs. AJ Styles in an Extreme Rules match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WWE’s Extreme Rules

This is a rematch from Payback, with that match getting restarted twice, after Styles had won by countout and then disqualification, and also involving the interference of Anderson and Gallows. The match itself was very good but the performance of AJ Styles was incredible. One might even call it phenomenal.

Styles carried this match completely and Reigns was just along for the ride. Styles took virtually all the big bumps, did most of the selling; it was clear that Styles’ role was to make Reigns looks like superman and he did just that. The crowd hated Reigns throughout, which is not surprising. Anderson and Gallows showed up again late on. The Usos ran in as well and were greatly hated by the fans due to their association with Reigns. For some reason, after taking care of Anderson and Gallows, the Usos laid out Styles to give Reigns a near-fall, which was a totally heel move and made no sense in the presentation of Reigns as a babyface. It guaranteed an increasing in the heel reaction Reigns was already getting, which is exactly what happened.

This is highly recommended, not in terms of being a great match, although it is very good. But for watching an incredible one-man show, with one person doing everything they can in order to make the other guy look good.

***1/2

Four more matches in the next instalment as we drop in on All Japan (Kento Miyahara defending the Triple Crown against Daisuke Sekimoto) and return to the BOSJ (Kushida vs. Rocky Romero, Will Ospreay vs. Beretta and the famous Will Ospreay vs. Ricochet match.)

@ Shake

Spoiler:

I’m going to try and summarise my response so as to try and avoid another lengthy dissertation. A lot of your problems reside with the fact that you seem to believe that your opinion of the matches in question is the ‘correct’ one to have. That a dissenting opinion, one that doesn’t see the match the way you do is inherently wrong and is to be attacked and belittled. But here’s the thing about my opinion of those matches. They don’t come from someone who didn’t know or understand the storylines. They don’t come from someone who had a negative bias against Dragon Gate. They come from someone who just didn’t like the match. That’s it. There’s no conspiracy, no raging anti-DG bias. In fact, I generally love Dragon Gate. I think the DG six-man at ROH in 2006 is one of the most exciting matches I’ve ever seen. I could even go back to the original Toryumon promotion; the six-man tag main event on that card, whilst a little ropey, was still really good, considering the age and experience of those involved in the match when it took place. Heck; I still have that card, and few other from that era, on VHS.

But that match is one I just didn’t like. At all. And guess what? There’s nothing wrong that. There’s nothing wrong with watching a match, taking it in, and deciding that you didn’t like it and that it did nothing for you. It happens. You’ll find people saying the same thing about every match, regardless of how others feels about. And there’s nothing wrong with that, either. People have differing opinions. It happens. Get over it.

Now, as for what people have said in the shoutbox, I can’t see the shoutbox. So I don’t care what people say in there, about me or anyone else. The same thing can be said of the ‘Shake vs. Ego’ thread that someone very thoughtfully made in the VIP section. So you go that thread or the shoutbox, or both if you prefer, and you feel free to bury me as much I’m sure you already have done. Because I won’t be responding to you again, here or anywhere else.

BTB of the Year 2012

Status

Re: Entry #20

@ Shake

Spoiler:

I’m going to try and summarise my response so as to try and avoid another lengthy dissertation. A lot of your problems reside with the fact that you seem to believe that your opinion of the matches in question is the ‘correct’ one to have. That a dissenting opinion, one that doesn’t see the match the way you do is inherently wrong and is to be attacked and belittled. But here’s the thing about my opinion of those matches. They don’t come from someone who didn’t know or understand the storylines. They don’t come from someone who had a negative bias against Dragon Gate. They come from someone who just didn’t like the match. That’s it. There’s no conspiracy, no raging anti-DG bias. In fact, I generally love Dragon Gate. I think the DG six-man at ROH in 2006 is one of the most exciting matches I’ve ever seen. I could even go back to the original Toryumon promotion; the six-man tag main event on that card, whilst a little ropey, was still really good, considering the age and experience of those involved in the match when it took place. Heck; I still have that card, and few other from that era, on VHS.

But that match is one I just didn’t like. At all. And guess what? There’s nothing wrong that. There’s nothing wrong with watching a match, taking it in, and deciding that you didn’t like it and that it did nothing for you. It happens. You’ll find people saying the same thing about every match, regardless of how others feels about. And there’s nothing wrong with that, either. People have differing opinions. It happens. Get over it.

Now, as for what people have said in the shoutbox, I can’t see the shoutbox. So I don’t care what people say in there, about me or anyone else. The same thing can be said of the ‘Shake vs. Ego’ thread that someone very thoughtfully made in the VIP section. So you go that thread or the shoutbox, or both if you prefer, and you feel free to bury me as much I’m sure you already have done. Because I won’t be responding to you again, here or anywhere else.
    You didn't even watch the full match so how can your opinion on it be taken seriously? Either that or I misunderstand what you meant by 'tuned out'. If that's not the case then I apologise for misunderstanding and that's my bad. However, your review made it entirely seem like you gave up on the match because you didn't like how convoluted it was. You describe it as a shambles on every level but you don't discuss the storytelling aspect or any of the psychology displayed in the match. Nothing. You describe it as an incomprehensible mess - so why is it so highly rated by almost everyone if it's so incomprehensible? People clearly were able to follow it and understand what was happening. You weren't if you are admitting you find it incomprehensible. If someone like me, who you frequently like to insult and try to paint as moronic, can do so then why couldn't you?

Really glad you totally ignored all the Shirai/Iwatani stuff, though. My opinion on that match - correct or not - isn't contradictory of what I think of other matches that follow the exact same format. You expressed no critical opinion of the Hojo/Shirai finish and how it buried Hojo but expressed critical opinion of the finish of Shirai/Iwatani. They're almost the exact same. It's contradictory and doesn't make sense. It's not consistent. That's not me thinking my opinion on the matches is correct. That's you showing inconsistent logic and analysis.

Nobody buried you in the shoutbox. I was speaking to HoHo at the time (hence his appearance in here) and I said the review was insane. Someone said you were throwing punches (and I thought that was in reference to your review) and asked if Shake vs Ego was happening. I said no, I wasn't going to comment due to the fact you can't take being disagreed with without feeling insulted or slighted. They then said that they were referring to the Shirai thread. So there you go. That's it. No proper burial. As for the Shake vs Ego thread, well, you weren't buried. Anything I said in there is pretty much what I said in response here, anyway. The majority of the thread is shitposting, actually. I didn't make the thread, CocksyD did as a joke.

Bold part is what dreams are made of. This wouldn't have happened if you would learn to express disagreement in a less hostile manner and be engaging rather than socially destructive.

Keep up the good work. As I said, threads like these still deserve love no matter who's doing them or my personal opinion. I'll still comment from time to time because it's not nice to ignore people's hard work. I don't mind if you don't respond to this or future posts because I don't really want your thread derailed further than it is with more shit flinging contests.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 05-22-2017 at 04:35 PM.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~HAVE A NICE DAY~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information