Thread: WWE NXT Discussion: March 15th, 2017

Pony Mod

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    Australia

WWE NXT WWE NXT Discussion: March 15th, 2017

WWE NXT preview, March 15, 2017: Roode & Ohno clash for NXT Championship
    Kassius Ohno has returned to NXT with one goal in mind: capturing the NXT Championship. He’ll get a chance to accomplish that goal on Wednesday night when he challenges “The Glorious” Bobby Roode at 8/7 C, only on WWE Network.

After three years away from NXT, Kassius Ohno says he’s back to change a few things that didn’t go his way last time. His main goal? Capturing the NXT Championship. The knockout artist is getting the opportunity to make his dream a reality in his first match back.

After stopping Bobby Roode’s attack on No Way Jose several weeks ago, Ohno put himself on the NXT Champion’s radar. Roode has mocked the returning Superstar when asked about Ohno, but he’ll have to take him seriously tonight, or he might feel the brute force of Ohno’s devastating elbow strike.

Who will walk out as NXT Champion and head to a title showdown with Shinsuke Nakamura at TakeOver: Orlando? Find out tonight at 8/7 C, only on WWE Network.

Will The Ealy Brothers get payback on The Authors of Pain?
    Last week, towering twins Gabriel & Uriel Ealy were about to enter the ring for a battle with two-time NXT Tag Team Champions The Revival, only for the current titleholders, The Authors of Pain, to dish out a devastating beatdown.

Later that night, The Ealys issued a challenge to Akam & Rezar for a throwdown tonight on NXT. Will the champions pick up where they left off, or can The Ealy Brothers shut down Paul Ellering’s pair of monsters?

SURF DUDES WITH ATTITUDES
    Hangin' ten and highin' five

Spoiler:

World Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: WWE NXT Discussion: March 15th, 2017

It will be interesting to see how the RoodeOhno match is booked

Can't see either guy losing cleanly

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

defending my boy hoho

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Powerful Red S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

That segment with Almas/Lorcan was the only good thing on this show.

(Plus Nikki <3)
    Stone Pitbull 141

Piss off, Okada~

POWERFUL RANGERS

Silk
    Zero
    Shake
    BlackTiger
    HoHo
    Rogue

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZero0615

Underdog

Status

Lol. They're making Ohno wrestle in a t-shirt to cover up that flab.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Lol. They're making Ohno wrestle in a t-shirt to cover up that flab.
    He's actually dropping a lot of weight, so hopefully wack jokes like these end soon (and for those it bothers will look past it)

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Underdog

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dookie Sanders View Post
    He's actually dropping a lot of weight, so hopefully wack jokes like these end soon (and for those it bothers will look past it)
    I hope you're not suggesting that I'm poking fun at Ohno with that? I couldn't give a fuck about how he looks. As long as he can go int he ring that's all that matters to me. And evident from the work he's been doing on the indys as of late and from his match with Roode, he certainly can still go with the best of them, despite the weight he's put on.

The 'Lol' was directed at WWE's pettiness for making him cover up.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I've always been on the fence about Ohno's weight. On one hand it shouldn't matter because I don't have an issue with Owens or the like being fat.. but Ohno just look baad. Good for him for being able to move despite the mass, but c'mon.

Pony Mod

Status
      Country                    Australia

- The Ealy Brothers may be hapless goobers with weird noses, but I have to admit I like them calling out the Authors of Pain after getting steamrolled to prove a point. I like that. Every action should have consequences, every cannon fodder jobber that’s crushed by someone not in the match to prove a point should be rightfully peeved. Like back when Samoa Joe was interfering in random matches to screw with Regal. He ruined the debut of Dan Matha, why would Dan just slink back to the PC and be okay with that? He crushed The Ealy Brother’s before their debut, surely the brothers would want some form of revenge. Most distressingly, he trampled all over the Buddy Murphy/Wesley Blake blowoff fued that had been building for months. Looking back on it, I’m genuinely disappointed that never got touched again, as fuel for Dubstep Cowboys to reunite, or to refocus their aggression of Smo’Jo. Speaking of which, where the hell ARE Murphy or Blake? Murphy’s a great hand and can easily fit in anywhere. Blake’s got cool music. I need my Dubstep Cowboys fix.

I went off on a tangent there. Point still stands. Actions should have consequences, even when it concerns the most ineffective of jobbers. It at least shows the jobbers aren’t just cardboard cutouts of interchangeable beings, more that they’re slowly developing talent with just as much character range as your standard WWE athlete. Now, how effective said jobbers should be at actually GETTING revenge is an entirely different matter, so I’m absolutely okay with AoP just punking out Ealy Bros.

Oh god, I’m still on this tangent, aren’t I? Stop it. STOP. Right, that aside, TRIPLE THREAT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH CONFIRMED, FUCK YES. Oh man, am I pumped for that.

- HEAVY MACHINERY ARE GOING TO BE A THING? Cyrus is going to love this.

- A book about NXT? Brb gonna preorder.

- RIP Macey.

I’d take Nikki Cross’s beatdown on Macey slightly more seriously if she spammed a move that wasn’t a fisherman’s neckbreaker, aka the second-most convoluted and unimpressive move next to the Overdrive. Just punch her a whole bunch, man.

Babyface heros tryin’ for vengeance, tho. That’s an admirable quality even if it ended in defeat, a running theme in this week’s NXT you’ll note. Let Tye have one victory, damnit.

- I now want a highschool NXT spinoff series. Andrade is the handsome up-himself bully, Oney is the hero nerdo who plays too much D&D, and Ho Ho is the weird foreign exchange student no-one really talks to, but damnit, he’s OUR foreign exchange student that no-one really talks to. Shinsuke is the foreign exchange student everyone talks to. Regal’s the principal. Sanity’s the weird alternative kids who hang out by the dumpster and brag about smoking. Elias is the douche with a guitar. WWE Network, make this a thing.

- Ohno loses points due to getting a title after nearly-instantly after his debut though doing nothing but throwing a shoe at Roody Bobbles, but Ohno earns points for his Toon Squad themed attire – man, first Liv Morgan, now Kassius Ohno, did someone replace the promo tapes with copes of Space Jam on VHS? I’m down for that – so in the grand scheme of things, it’s pretty even.

My pettiness aside, pretty good matchup. Ohno doesn’t seem to have missed a mark since leaving NXT originally. If anything, I’d say his added beefiness adds some more power behind his striking abilities. Looks like it’s Roode vs Nakamura II at Takeover: I forget the name. Neat. Though I’d kill for Ohno/Nakamura at some point.

SURF DUDES WITH ATTITUDES
    Hangin' ten and highin' five

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

I don't understand why respected wrestling critics and podcasters (and Zero) give NXT's show so much hell these days. It's more consistent than people give it credit for. There's usually at least one 'eh' segment but it's mostly a very enjoyable show.

Finally able to catch this week's episode. Good guy Biff is awesome. The video package for Asuka and Ember Moon was very terrific. The triple team feud shines on TV once again. All three had good promos (Ellering and Revival were terrific). Ohno versus Roode had a really good layout and turned into a great main event. Also HEAVY MACHINERY NEXT WEEK! #THICKBROTHER. Love those guys.

I'd say the only negatives were that they should have dug deeper into Billie's condition along with Billie and Peyton's character work. I love Biff and Andrade but I've also been enjoying the Iconic Duo.

Also the Macey Estrella character sucked a great deal and felt real awkward. That squash felt like it didn't get over but I got the purpose of it, especially with Tye and Jose trying to attack Sanity to set up an eight person match at Orlando with Nikki likely involved and Tye probably getting a female to join his side. But yeah, that didn't really click much at first.

I'm looking forward to the Triple Threat tag more than most of Mania and after the video package, Asuka vs Ember Moon promises to be the stronger women's championship match of the three set for Mania weekend.

Also Wolf, Ohno's gear was a knockoff of the USA's national basketball team.
    Last edited by Darling Nicky; 03-19-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus T View Post
    Nicky was right.
    Spoiler:

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I get burying NXT for being inconsequential, but that's about it. If you want just a fun show that ultimately doesn't change much, then NXT is really good. Its funny because a lot of the people who attack it will then praise other shows for being "good but unimportant" but turn around and use that as an insult toward NXT.

Spoiler:

Powerful Red S-Mod

Status

I usually don't think this is a good show at all, not even close. Very bland and uninspiring. This week I think your mileage varies depending on how you felt about the main event and if you liked that then you probably thought it was fine. In all seriousness, a lot of the buildup was fine. To me the Almas/Lorcan segment is the only one that I thought was actively good in its own right though.

AoP squash was nothing, nice Powerbomb. Ellering was good as a promo though, everyone was. Effective segment to set up what should be a sweet match.

Asuka segment was notable for having Asuka by a pool though she doesn't do anything for me so not even that is great. Good promo though and hype for the title match. Good move letting Asuka talk instead of Ember.

The problem with the Nikki squash is the problem with all of Sanity's stuff. They just aren't over. Look at that segment where they dragged Roderick out, that should have been a hot angle and the crowd gave crickets. This week no better with the beatdown of Tye/Jose. Thought the squash itself was very effective but had no crowd support. The babyfaces in this feud come across like geeks that don't care that much about to be put down by Sanity when all 3 should be more.

Tommy End coming? Nevermind what I said before, this is where it's at. >.>

Yeah Kay and Royce are good and the following segment was also good as everyone knows but Nicky was right that they probably could have given us a little more on that and knocked a minute or 2 off the main.

The main event killed any potential enthusiasm I had for Ohno back here and again the crowd didn't seem that into it. This crowd is supposed to be super hot but it didn't come across very well to me this week. The match was flat and just enough to be called solid. And why did they even do this match so fast anyway? Him going for the title should have been the culmination of his arc, not the beginning. Nakamura/TJP was a way better match imo and this has to be called a disappointment, maybe you felt better if you haven't seen him on the indies but I don't know. To me it wasn't anything special at all.

So yeah, there was a couple of good segments, but the show wasn't anything anyone will take note of 2 weeks from now other than as a note for Ohno's return match.
    Stone Pitbull 141

Piss off, Okada~

POWERFUL RANGERS

Silk
    Zero
    Shake
    BlackTiger
    HoHo
    Rogue

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Eh, its pretty much established NXT's core crowd has changed. I'm not going to factor whether I liked a segment or not on the crowd's reaction. They are never as loud as they used to be at Full Sail, and obviously that speaks to an issue they've had, but it doesn't mean some things aren't entertaining. I enjoy SANITY and I really enjoy Nikki. Them not being over sucks, and they should change the booking to fix that, but I still enjoy them nonetheless.

I don't agree your enjoyment of this week's episode depends on the main event unless it left a hugely sour taste in your mouth. I didn't care that much about it, and I don't care for the upcoming Roode/Nakamura match. I enjoy NXT as a whole but I am absolutely bored of their main event approach. My enjoyment of the brand comes from everything but. Of course, I'm excited for Ohno, I like Roode, and I even like Nakamura. but the same main event or half of the year or more without dramatically raised stakes gets tiresome for me

With that said, there is plenty to like so I can look past that.

Spoiler:

Powerful Red S-Mod

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dookie Sanders View Post
    Eh, its pretty much established NXT's core crowd has changed. I'm not going to factor whether I liked a segment or not on the crowd's reaction. They are never as loud as they used to be at Full Sail, and obviously that speaks to an issue they've had, but it doesn't mean some things aren't entertaining. I enjoy SANITY and I really enjoy Nikki. Them not being over sucks, and they should change the booking to fix that, but I still enjoy them nonetheless.

I don't agree your enjoyment of this week's episode depends on the main event unless it left a hugely sour taste in your mouth. I didn't care that much about it, and I don't care for the upcoming Roode/Nakamura match. I enjoy NXT as a whole but I am absolutely bored of their main event approach. My enjoyment of the brand comes from everything but. Of course, I'm excited for Ohno, I like Roode, and I even like Nakamura. but the same main event or half of the year or more without dramatically raised stakes gets tiresome for me

With that said, there is plenty to like so I can look past that.
    Yeah, I agree the Nikki match was good despite the crowd reaction and I'm a huge fan of Nikki, Killian, and I've always kinda dug EY. I just think the crowd being bored isn't just indicative of the crowd's changed, it's about how uninspiring a lot of the show is. I'm not saying it was a terrible show, but it's never something I'm excited to watch as a viewer or overly invested in. In Sanity's case, they just aren't connecting in this gimmick. Also wonder how strongly they've been put over 3 previously popular babyfaces is affecting them, and perhaps a more gradual shift up the cards could have helped. Speculation. (And I'm not really a believer in this usually) They're getting a strong push though, not like they aren't trying.

As for the main events I don't like Roode as a worker and I don't like Nakamura at all (another thing that hurt that boring main event btw was how choppy things were with the commercials and Nakamura standing there looking intense watching like 3 times) so that's another issue. Ohno is great. Will he be put in position to look to look great? Maybe on Takeovers. I'd love to see it. But the booking and the match itself wasn't leaving me feeling like he's destined for success. We'll see what's next. Hope next week is good with the Trios, as said above I'm a fan of pretty much all involved.
    Stone Pitbull 141

Piss off, Okada~

POWERFUL RANGERS

Silk
    Zero
    Shake
    BlackTiger
    HoHo
    Rogue

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Honestly, I kind of feel like Roode's underrated in ring at this stage. People write him off too much. He's not a work rate machine, but he usually has good matches and tells a good story. More of a Memphis guy than an NWA guy if you catch my drift, but fun.

Spoiler:

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I don't think there's any issue with Roode's work. He's a fine wrestler. Ohno doesn't interest me in the slightest, but he does put on very hard hitting matches.

Thread Information